Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: Western Kentucky

Marquette
Marquette vs

Western Kentucky

Date/Time: Mar 22, 2024, 1:00 pm
TV: TBS
Schedule for 2023-24
UConn

Author Topic: McDonald's Event  (Read 8955 times)

DegenerateDish

• All American
McDonald's Event
« on: March 29, 2015, 04:31:07 PM »
(I'm trying to attach pictures and having all kinds of issues getting them uploaded on Scoop)

Incredible honor to be asked to speak this morning to the McD All American's here in Chicago. I gave a speech, but feel speechless in describing the experience.

Henry is really outstanding young man, and will represent Marquette extremely well. Really a pleasure speaking with him. After my speech, I was asked to do a bunch of media interviews, and I didn't get a chance to see this in person, but my wife told me that Henry and my four year old daughter were in the arts/crafts room, just the two of them, sitting there, painting. Henry actually painted her a MU basketball jersey, and he signed it. Just a thoughtful, well spoken, young man.

It was pretty chaotic at the RMcD House today, didn't get as many pictures as I wanted to, but attached is Henry with me and my youngest. Chase Jeter is pictured, who is perhaps the nicest person I've ever met in my life, just a great/classy kid. Ben Simmons is pictured as well, and also Malik Newman. Malik had the bus held up, because he didn't want to leave until he got a picture with Bradley, I was blown away, such a nice gesture.

If you live in Chicago, Bradley and I will be featured on Comcast Sports Net tonight at 6:30, 10, 10:30.

DegenerateDish

• All American
Re: McDonald's Event
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2015, 04:34:17 PM »
It says my attachments are too large for some reason (each pic is a jpg only 36kb though). If you want to see pictures, I'm under Brian Godish on Facebook, and you can see the pictures posted there.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2015, 04:46:21 PM »
If you have time, please try again.  A minor server problem that should be fixed now.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2015, 04:47:16 PM »
Great pics on FB.

Love the MU gear!!!

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2015, 04:51:46 PM »
Nice to hear Henry will be a credit to the program. I think Wojo will continue to bring in fine young men who will represent MU well. My prayers continue to go out to Bradley and your family, Brian.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2015, 04:53:28 PM »
Ellenson, Jeter, Newman, Simmons

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2015, 09:30:29 PM »
Thanks for sharing.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2015, 09:41:10 PM »
Wojo just announced a new member to his staff, the new chief recruiter, Bradley.........

Now go get a commitment from Malik Neumann.

Awesome photos and memories for him.  
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 09:43:21 PM by nyg »

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2015, 10:33:14 PM »
I did an interview with USA Today this morning, and they just posted the article.

http://usatodayhss.com/2015/mcdonalds-all-americans-share-spirit-at-ronald-mcdonald-house-in-chicago

CHICAGO — Bradley Godish was having the time of his life Sunday.

A 4-year-old boy from Elgin, Ill., with wispy blond hair, Bradley beamed and giggled as basketball players towered over him and made him the center of attention during a visit to a downtown Ronald McDonald House.

Bradley, who stands 37 inches tall and celebrates his fifth birthday this week, is recovering from a stem cell transplant and chemotherapy treatments that combat acute myeloid leukemia, a disease that produces abnormal white blood cells and crowds out healthy ones.

But he was healthy enough to meet and play with several members of McDonald’s High School All-American teams set to compete in a United Center doubleheader later this week.

“He’s adorable, he has a great little personality,” said Sophie Cunnigham, a 6-1 guard from Columbia, Mo. “I know he’s going through something a little rough, but that’s why we’re here — to make those kids feel special.”

Cunningham, bound next year for the University of Missouri, got on her knees and formed a wide hoop with her arms, encouraging Bradley to shoot and stuff the ball. They later exchanged passes and Cunningham also showed him some tricky, between-the-legs dribbles.

Bradley was among dozens of kids who met and interacted with the All-Americans during a two-hour visit.

For many of the high school stars — all blessed with good health and exceptional physical skills —  meeting sick kids was enlightening.

“This is a huge eye-opener,” Cunningham said. “I was just at the hospital, four of us went there. I teared up a little bit just knowing what these kids don’t get to go experience and what they have to go through. … It’s sad, but at the same time it’s an inspiration for me. I’m playing and praying for Bradley.”

The Godish family’s life was turned upside down last fall when Bradley was diagnosed with leukemia. Since then it’s been a series of doctor’s visits, hospital stays, chemotherapy and a stem cell transplant.

Brad’s twin sister supplied the stem cell. The family also has an 8-month old son.

The Godish family lives about 40 miles northwest of Chicago, but Ronald McDonald House offered a convenient and free place to stay while Bradley undergoes treatment at the nearby Ann and Robert H. Lurie Children’s Hospital.

“Welcome to our home away from home,” Bradley’s father, Brian Godish, told the prep stars, seated at tables in a third-floor dining area. “You guys are All-Americans on the court and I hope you’ll be All-Americans off the court as well and I hope this isn’t your last time at a Ronald McDonald House.”

McDonalds HIgh School All American Ben Simmons visits at the Ronald McDonald House (Photo: Matt Hernandez, USA TODAY Sports)
McDonalds HIgh School All American Ben Simmons visits at the Ronald McDonald House (Photo: Matt Hernandez, USA TODAY Sports)
Chase Jeter, a 6-10 Duke recruit from Las Vegas, quickly came up to father and son following Brian Godish’s remarks. Jeter then lifted Bradley with his long arms and cradled him as the three posed for a photo.

“His story was inspirational,” said Jeter. “It made me grateful for everything I had. Seeing a family like that and hearing their story was motivational for me, too.”

The Ronald McDonald House is an annual stop on the McDonald’s All-American agenda, part of a busy schedule for 48 McDonald’s All-Americans — 24 boys and 24 girls —  plus coaches and support staff.

The East and West teams went through their first practices early Sunday morning for the mid-week clash at 20,000-seat home of the Chicago Bulls and Chicago Blackhawks.

“For the kids and the families this is a big day for them,” said Jim De Maria, vice president of development for the Chicagoland Ronald McDonald houses. “It’s also a big day for the players. … With the All-American kids coming here to meet the kids and the families staying at the house it takes their minds off of what they’re going through.”

The 15-story downtown Ronald McDonald House — among five in the Chicago area — is steps away from Michigan Avenue in a busy area with residential and business high rises plus restaurants and entertainment.

The three-year-old facility is open 24 hours daily, features 13 staff members and 400 active volunteers. The neighborhood is also home to several medical facilities, including the Lurie Children’s Hospital located just four blocks away.

Net proceeds from Wednesday’s game directly benefits the charity, which has raised an estimated $11 million since starting with a single home in 1974 in Philadelphia.

There are now 178 Ronald McDonald Houses in the United States and 345 worldwide offering free accommodations and services to sick children and families.

“I can speak from experience from being here (on) the comfort, the care and the hope that we received here,” Brian Godish told the players. “If nothing else over the last five months we’ve learned not to take anything for granted. Experiences like these we’ll remember the rest of our lives and we hope you guys will too.”

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2015, 08:32:17 PM »
Tried to find a link to the interview on Comcast. 

Anyone have a link?

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2015, 11:39:31 PM »
CSN hasn't responded, but a bit of my speech appear here:

https://amp.twimg.com/v/1122f5a5-d4c3-4eb6-8817-90292c554ed5

Goose

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2015, 11:38:50 AM »
Really awesome stuff across the board.

cj111

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2015, 12:22:32 PM »
Thanks for sharing this... made my day.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2015, 10:21:54 PM »
If anyone wants 4 tickets for the game, PM me, thanks. (Free tix)

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2015, 12:57:17 AM »
Picture of Bradley and malik newman hitting twitter tonight.

https://twitter.com/prepbullseye/status/583481122601840640

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2015, 01:55:28 AM »
Absolutely insane night, can't even describe it.

Just wow.

Felt like we were the Beatles.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2015, 02:10:43 AM »
Let me just say that the future of basketball is in great hands. Some classy and talented kids in this class.

Saw Henry for a bit, told him he should have entered the game to break a sweat.

Chase Jeter and Malik Newman...wow, phenomenal kids. Malik texted me a few times on our drive home, Chase literally gave us the shoes off his feet. Ben Simmons tried giving us his game jersey, and staff told him no, he gave us one of his backup shoes instead. PJ Dozier came over and what a great kid.

Even though it was close to midnight, we got invited to the after party. Whole thing was insane.

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2015, 03:31:50 AM »
Awesome stuff. Thank you for sharing. So glad for your family that you have had this special experience together, and diversion. Having been through a family struggle with cancer in the past year and a half, no doubt about it cancer sucks. The silver lining is the unique perspective you gain and the special moments of being touched by others who want to support you in your fight. Kudos to McDonald's for making the experience your family has had a big part of the weekend for these talented athletes. To so many from the outside,  the McDonald's all-star game is about basketball and the prestige of being selected; your first-hand experience provides great insight into the most important part of the entire event. Thank you for sharing your experience and providing that perspective. I'm sure it will be so fun for your son and entire family to follow your favorite players going forward.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2015, 11:51:57 AM »
Really great to see on all fronts.  Hoping for continued progress.