[Today at 04:57:21 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by MuMark
[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Bucky is EVIL and must be DESTROYED  (Read 8738 times)

madtown AL

• Walk-On
Bucky is EVIL and must be DESTROYED
« on: March 28, 2015, 03:48:50 PM »
I said it last year and I'll say it again: Sitting here in Madison surrounded by a sea of red looking for a reason to cheer for Bucky.  Trying to wash away almost 50 years of hatred after that 70-62 loss to Bucky in the Milwaukee Classic.    Can't do it. Go Wildcats!

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Bucky is EVIL and must be DESTROYED
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 03:51:11 PM »
This thread hasn't worked out very well for Marquette this year.  13-19 ourselves.  I don't think I saw a single thread on day 1 of the NCAA Tourney and the BE went 4-0 that day, and then we had them starting day 2 and the rest of the Tourney the BE went 1-6.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 05:35:44 PM »
My wife challenged me to be a bigger person, and if MU is not playing UW, I should cheer for the rodents.

I considered it.  Then I had lunch with a friend who is a big Badger fan.  Tied into the athletic dept. One of those guys.

Told him I really tried to root for Becky when we weren't playing them.  He told me that there was no way he would cheer for MU in any circumstance.

Problem solved.

Becky is EVIL.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2015, 09:39:05 PM »
I rooted for Madison.

I'm currently rooting for Notre Dame.

Hell is frozen over.

We Are Marquette

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2015, 10:14:34 PM »
GO BADGERS and the Cheaters A--. (Kentucky)! I can lower myself and root for UW. But I have Gonzaga winning it all.

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2015, 10:15:35 PM »
Left out Kick

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2015, 10:19:58 PM »
How is Kentucky cheating?

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2015, 10:22:24 PM »
How is Kentucky cheating?

The same way Maryland is cheating?  Seriously, you think Kentucky is clean, your dreaming.  They have the bagman, that Bruce Pearl knows about.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2015, 10:23:52 PM »
The same way Maryland is cheating?  Seriously, you think Kentucky is clean, your dreaming.  They have the bagman, that Bruce Pearl knows about.

Oh.  Then how do you know Wisconsin isn't cheating?

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2015, 10:26:56 PM »

If they were, their graduation rate would be higher than 40%.

wildbillsb

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2015, 11:12:08 PM »
The next thing somebody's going to say is that the Tarheels are cheating.  C'mon, people!
Peace begins with a smile.  -  Mother Teresa

Sylvester78

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2015, 11:27:09 PM »

I know!   because they never ever win a recruiting battle against any major school unless the kid grew up loving UW.

I have a question...who did they cheat to get? 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2015, 11:32:39 PM »
I know!   because they never ever win a recruiting battle against any major school unless the kid grew up loving UW.

I have a question...who did they cheat to get? 

Who did Kentucky cheat to get?

Seriously, do yourself a favor and go enjoy your Final Four.

It was cute of you to pretend you were just a Marquette fan who "respected" the Badgers, though.  Sad.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2015, 12:52:39 AM »
Kentucky doesn't cheat.

But they sure do know every loophole and every way to work the system. No cheating, but still very unethical practices
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2015, 03:18:50 PM »
I saw this in the Rolling Stone daily.  Even use the term "curmudgeonly figure named Bo Ryan".

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/features/final-four-the-bad-news-badgers-go-to-indianapolis-20150331?utm_source=newsletter&utm_content=daily&utm_campaign=033115_16&utm_medium=email&ea=Z2Fnbm9uLnJvYmVydEBzYmNnbG9iYWwubmV0

Final Four: The Bad News Badgers Go to Indianapolis

Wisconsin takes on Kentucky in the NCAA tournament, and Bo Ryan's boys are ready to win one for the underdogs

By Michael Weinreb March 31, 2015

It's very possible that the best college football coach of the past thirty years is someone you've never heard of, someone like Larry Kehres of Ohio's Mount Union College, a Division III program that won nearly 93 percent of its games before Kehres retired a couple of years back. It's very possible that if Kehres had chosen to move up the ladder, if he wound up at, say, Ohio State, the Buckeyes would be just as successful as they've been under Urban Meyer.

Why do I bring this up now? I bring this up because I'm thinking about this year's Final Four, and I'm thinking about how college basketball is at such an odd juncture, oscillating constantly between fascinating and plodding.

College basketball (and college sports in general) has always been dominated by the personas of its coaches, but here we are at a moment where coaching seems to dominate even more than it ever has before, as evidenced by this year's Final Four. On one side of the bracket there is a man (Mike Krzyzewski) who is probably the greatest college basketball coach of all time, and another man (Tom Izzo) who is not far behind. And on the other side of a bracket there is man (John Calipari) who, whatever your opinions on his ethos, has already proven himself as one of the great developers of professional talent in the history of the sport.

But mostly I bring this up because I find myself, like many other impartial observers, eminently fascinated by the other coach at this year's Final Four above all others. I bring this up because Wisconsin has made the Final Four for the second consecutive season, and they've done it under the leadership of a curmudgeonly figure named Bo Ryan, who spent 15 seasons at a Division III school in Platteville, Wisconsin, winning four national championships before finally moving up the ladder and eventually winding up as the head coach at Wisconsin. And in the 14 seasons since, Ryan has led his team to the NCAA tournament every single year, including these two straight trips to the Final Four.

There is an inherent goofiness to the Badgers that have already made them easy to like. They are both fascinated by (and dorkily attracted to) the stenographers who transcribe their press conferences; they grow horrible mustaches, they take selfies and their best player (Frank Kaminsky) is a former 3-star recruit who might be the goofiest 7-footer to grace our presence since the heyday of Chuck Nevitt. The Badgers have been loose and free throughout this tournament, and there is something beautiful about that, given the stakes, given that they are one of the two remaining teams capable of cutting through Kentucky's stranglehold on history. If Kentucky represents the professionalization of college sports, Wisconsin seems to feel like the last tie to actual amateurism, to the quiet lower levels of college sports – the ones that aren't really involved in the discussion about player compensation because it's irrelevant in their case.

This, of course, is not an entirely fair comparison. Wisconsin's other star player, Sam Dekker, was one of the nation's top recruits; several of Kentucky's best players chose to come back for another season despite the professional careers looming in their future. Wisconsin was a part of one of the most excruciating college basketball games I've ever had the displeasure of watching in its entirety; Kentucky, for all the existential quandaries it raises, is an unselfish and thrilling team to watch. But there is an obvious contrast here, in the way Ryan generally seems to regard recruiting rankings as utterly pointless and Calipari's success is tied to his ability to dominate the upper echelons of those rankings.

I don't really know what to expect from college basketball anymore. It is, as Grantland's Brian Phillips recently wrote, a constant tug-of-war between what it is and what we want it to be; it is trapped in that everlasting internal conflict between amateurism and professionalism, the notion that college sports should exist for sports' sake and the notion that college sports are popular entertainment like everything else. Already, popular opinion (including mine) has come around on the idea of compensating players in some way, but I had a discussion recently with a guy who played Division III football, who mentioned that he caused permanent damage to his body merely because he enjoyed playing the sport. Those people are still out there, and at some small level, I think Bo Ryan and Wisconsin are representative of them. Which is why I hope Kentucky prevails over the system, and Wisconsin prevails on the court.

Michael Weinreb is the author of Season of Saturdays: A History of College Football in 14 Games. You can find him on Twitter @michaelweinreb

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/features/final-four-the-bad-news-badgers-go-to-indianapolis-20150331#ixzz3Vzpx4wEW
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2015, 03:34:35 PM »
Bo should be careful not to let that article get out. If Indianans see him being fellated publicly like this, they may trust him service at their businesses.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2015, 03:55:18 PM »
Kentucky doesn't cheat.

But they sure do know every loophole and every way to work the system. No cheating, but still very unethical practices

Yes, it has been quite some time since a Federal Express envelope from a booster to a recruit's parent has burst open at the seams with cash falling out onto the floor of a Federal Express facility.

I highly doubt that anyone employed by the University cheats, but they have boosters that are pros.  Just like most of the Southeastern Conference schools do, especially for football recruits.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2015, 04:00:01 PM »
I have to be careful because my open rooting against the Badgers is going to get me in trouble. I never buy school tshirts, unless on sale big time, but I will be wearing a Kentucky shirt when out watching the game on Saturday night. I am sure at this point there is some jealously when I walk into the bar at game time and it is packed with everyone in red. Not ashamed to admit that I am not a big enough person to cheer for them.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2015, 04:05:49 PM »
I have to be careful because my open rooting against the Badgers is going to get me in trouble. I never buy school tshirts, unless on sale big time, but I will be wearing a Kentucky shirt when out watching the game on Saturday night. I am sure at this point there is some jealously when I walk into the bar at game time and it is packed with everyone in red. Not ashamed to admit that I am not a big enough person to cheer for them.

jealousy?  Dude, I'd be more worried of animosity turning into something more.  My advice -sit with your back to the wall, and have 911 pre-entered into your phone, so all you have to do is hit the call button. Scoop needs you, don't take unnecessary risks.

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2015, 04:11:23 PM »
Once again Chicos, this stuff just keeps creeping into more and more stories about college sports.

I saw this in the Rolling Stone daily.  Even use the term "curmudgeonly figure named Bo Ryan".

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/features/final-four-the-bad-news-badgers-go-to-indianapolis-20150331?utm_source=newsletter&utm_content=daily&utm_campaign=033115_16&utm_medium=email&ea=Z2Fnbm9uLnJvYmVydEBzYmNnbG9iYWwubmV0

Final Four: The Bad News Badgers Go to Indianapolis

Wisconsin takes on Kentucky in the NCAA tournament, and Bo Ryan's boys are ready to win one for the underdogs

By Michael Weinreb March 31, 2015

... If Kentucky represents the professionalization of college sports, Wisconsin seems to feel like the last tie to actual amateurism, to the quiet lower levels of college sports – the ones that aren't really involved in the discussion about player compensation because it's irrelevant in their case.

...I don't really know what to expect from college basketball anymore. It is, as Grantland's Brian Phillips recently wrote, a constant tug-of-war between what it is and what we want it to be; it is trapped in that everlasting internal conflict between amateurism and professionalism, the notion that college sports should exist for sports' sake and the notion that college sports are popular entertainment like everything else. Already, popular opinion (including mine) has come around on the idea of compensating players in some way, but I had a discussion recently with a guy who played Division III football, who mentioned that he caused permanent damage to his body merely because he enjoyed playing the sport. Those people are still out there, and at some small level, I think Bo Ryan and Wisconsin are representative of them. Which is why I hope Kentucky prevails over the system, and Wisconsin prevails on the court.

Michael Weinreb is the author of Season of Saturdays: A History of College Football in 14 Games. You can find him on Twitter @michaelweinreb

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2015, 06:50:13 PM »
Bucky Sucky

I'm cheering for the blue menace

Anything is better than putting up with Bucky's fan base if they knock off Kentuc ky.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2015, 06:51:49 AM »
LittleWade

Very sound advice and I will take it to heart. Maybe I will leave my retro John Wall jersey at home!!

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2015, 07:18:08 AM »
Take the Beatin' and keep repeatin'....Bucky Sucks! Bucky Sucks! You got this Goose!
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.