'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Shonn Miller visiting the Wolverines  (Read 10580 times)

tower912

• All American
Shonn Miller visiting the Wolverines
« on: March 28, 2015, 02:33:45 PM »
http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/index.ssf/2015/03/cornell_graduate_transfer_shon.html#incart_river

Some heavy hitters competing for this guy.    He HAS to transfer, as the Ivy league prohibits graduate students from playing sports. 

BTW, just another way to spell Sean/Shawn/Shaun/Shawon/Shean/Shon/Shonn/Schon.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Shonn Miller visiting the Wolverines
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 02:42:39 PM »
Marquette also talked to him this week. Will be a tough get. Anyone know how many scholarships Michigan has? Be a shame to see them get him and Mike Edwards.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 02:48:14 PM »
Marquette also talked to him this week. Will be a tough get. Anyone know how many scholarships Michigan has? Be a shame to see them get him and Mike Edwards.

They have no seniors on this year's team and have not signed anyone for 2015 that I could find.  Levert may go pro, so that would free up one if he leaves.  Otherwise zero.........?

chapman

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2015, 05:35:28 PM »
He HAS to transfer, as the Ivy league prohibits graduate students from playing sports. 

Was wondering about this "forced" angle - couldn't he simply delay graduation, take some more courses or pursue a second undergraduate major if he wanted to stay?  Not saying it's not a better decision to graduate from an Ivy in four years, take some grad classes elsewhere and play for a team that could be tournament-bound, just seemed that the whole "only option" story seems to not be completely true, no?

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2015, 05:45:57 PM »
Was wondering about this "forced" angle - couldn't he simply delay graduation, take some more courses or pursue a second undergraduate major if he wanted to stay?  Not saying it's not a better decision to graduate from an Ivy in four years, take some grad classes elsewhere and play for a team that could be tournament-bound, just seemed that the whole "only option" story seems to not be completely true, no?

Since you're talking an Ivy League rule, I guess that your only chance for an answer would be if a compliance officer from an Ivy League athletic department happens across this thread.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

brandx

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2015, 06:16:37 PM »

He missed a year with an injury. In the Ivy, you only have 4 years to compete rather than 5.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2015, 06:21:49 PM »
He missed a year with an injury. In the Ivy, you only have 4 years to compete rather than 5.

Ahh, so the Ivy has a no redshirt rule.

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2015, 06:41:23 PM »
Since you're talking an Ivy League rule, I guess that your only chance for an answer would be if a compliance officer from an Ivy League athletic department happens across this thread.

There's only different rules in hockey........

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2015, 06:51:30 PM »
There's only different rules in hockey........

Then why can't Shonn Miller play basketball at Cornell anymore?

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2015, 06:58:33 PM »
The Ivy league does not allow redshirts.  You have 4-years to play, that is all.  It is the reason why some Ivy league schools bend the rules by having recruits spend a year at a local community college and still practice at the Ivy facilities.  It is a defacto redshirt.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2015, 07:30:42 PM »
Ivy League? That wouldn't get him in UW.  ::)

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2015, 07:56:35 PM »
Ivy League? That wouldn't get him in UW.  ::)

That's why he had to go to Cornell (Maryland of the Ivy League).

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2015, 09:07:54 PM »
They have no seniors on this year's team and have not signed anyone for 2015 that I could find.  Levert may go pro, so that would free up one if he leaves.  Otherwise zero.........?

At this point, correct. But if they want Miller and Edwards, then they will find room for them.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2015, 05:05:45 PM »
I guess someone on Michigan's roster will have to be Beelined out.

Yeah, I know that's not how it's spelled. 
From Michigan's web site.  Pronunciation: "Bee-Line"
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 05:08:41 PM by LittleWade »

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2015, 05:41:10 PM »

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2015, 06:15:38 PM »
I guess we will just need to call up the wisconsin compliance director than seeing they are the closest ivy league school

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2015, 01:24:59 AM »
That's why he had to go to Cornell (Maryland of the Ivy League).

The Back Door of the Ivy League

Death on call

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2015, 03:13:28 AM »
Don't count on traditional media or message boards to get things correct on compliance issues.

It is most certainly possible to receive a medical hardship waiver for a season and compete four years over a five year period in the Ivy.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2015, 11:11:54 AM »
Don't count on traditional media or message boards to get things correct on compliance issues.

It is most certainly possible to receive a medical hardship waiver for a season and compete four years over a five year period in the Ivy.

Are you saying that Shonn Miller is eligible to play for Cornell next year?

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2015, 11:16:56 AM »

You can believe this, but you are wrong.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2015, 11:50:27 AM »
Good to hear we've reached out. Hopefully he steps foot on campus soon and realizes there are a lot of minutes for him here as we go for the NCAA tournament next year.

Also: he would get a nice trip to Italy, which can't hurt.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2015, 02:09:15 PM »
Are you saying that Shonn Miller is eligible to play for Cornell next year?

I am saying exactly what I said.

As for Miller, his sitting out a year appeared - from a distance - a decision and not a result of being incapable of competing. If my take is accurate, he wouldn't meet the medical hardship waiver requirements of the NCAA (which are also used by the Ivy League).

Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.