[Today at 10:36:41 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 10:23:37 AM]

Shaka 2024-2025 by wadesworld
[Today at 09:00:02 AM]

Academic All Americans by Goose
[Today at 08:52:43 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Old-school "arrow" logo?  (Read 4055 times)

The_Arrow

• Walk-On
Old-school "arrow" logo?
« on: March 27, 2015, 02:05:48 PM »
Hi folks.  New to the board.  In fact, my registration is some 20-odd years in the making while I have searched fruitlessly for ANY reference material on this subject.  For reasons unknown, I decided today to finally pull the trigger (I suppose the tourney gets the "vibe" going).

Do any of you recognize my avatar?  Back in the Doc Rivers days when Marquette/DePaul/Notre Dame - with Al & Billy doing commentary - made regular appearances on CBS, I swear this arrow (or some semblance of it) was Marquette's logo. But I'll be darned if I can find any reference to it anywhere.

I in fact did see a reference to what I think is this logo in another thread, but it was rather dated, and since I labored tirelessly for minutes on end to create my faux-logo (fauxgo?) in CAD, I hopefully earned "New thread" status. :)

Please tell me I'm not losing my mind. Better yet, tell me it in truth because you actually recognize the logo. :) Any explanation behind the logo (PC measures?) would be great too!

Thanks!

Robert

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
Re: Old-school "arrow" logo?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 02:13:46 PM »
Hi folks.  New to the board.  In fact, my registration is some 20-odd years in the making while I have searched fruitlessly for ANY reference material on this subject.  For reasons unknown, I decided today to finally pull the trigger (I suppose the tourney gets the "vibe" going).

Do any of you recognize my avatar?  Back in the Doc Rivers days when Marquette/DePaul/Notre Dame - with Al & Billy doing commentary - made regular appearances on CBS, I swear this arrow (or some semblance of it) was Marquette's logo. But I'll be darned if I can find any reference to it anywhere.

I in fact did see a reference to what I think is this logo in another thread, but it was rather dated, and since I labored tirelessly for minutes on end to create my faux-logo (fauxgo?) in CAD, I hopefully earned "New thread" status. :)

Please tell me I'm not losing my mind. Better yet, tell me it in truth because you actually recognize the logo. :) Any explanation behind the logo (PC measures?) would be great too!

Thanks!

Robert

I'm drawing a complete blank.  I'll definitely be interested in what others have to say.

The last arrow I remember was on the side of the 1976-77 Bo designed uniforms.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

The_Arrow

• Walk-On
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 02:17:41 PM »
Perhaps I should clarify; this was the logo that CBS would show next to Marquette's name.  It may have only been a television thing. It's the only time I ever remember seeing it.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2015, 02:22:19 PM »
Hi folks.  New to the board.  In fact, my registration is some 20-odd years in the making while I have searched fruitlessly for ANY reference material on this subject.  For reasons unknown, I decided today to finally pull the trigger (I suppose the tourney gets the "vibe" going).

Do any of you recognize my avatar?  Back in the Doc Rivers days when Marquette/DePaul/Notre Dame - with Al & Billy doing commentary - made regular appearances on CBS, I swear this arrow (or some semblance of it) was Marquette's logo. But I'll be darned if I can find any reference to it anywhere.

Thanks!

Robert

YES!  I asked this a few years ago. 

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=26551.msg297014#msg297014

It was a series of arrows embedded within one another.

The_Arrow

• Walk-On
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2015, 02:26:37 PM »

YES!  I asked this a few years ago.  

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=26551.msg297014#msg297014

It was a series of arrows embedded within one another.

Yep, yours was the thread I had seen earlier. :)  But I didn't dare having it passed over (I wasn't sure if old/resurrected threads got as much notice) - this has been driving me nuts for years!  Glad to see you're just as nuts, apparently! :)

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2015, 02:28:20 PM »
I was unaware of the logo, but it makes sense. An attempt for "warrior" imagery while removing direct depictions of Native Americans.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2015, 02:33:46 PM »
Maybe it wasn't a University logo.  Maybe it was something the TV network came up with at a time that MU was searching for a new logo.  That would explain why it isn't something that can be found.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2015, 03:08:11 PM »
I was unaware of the logo, but it makes sense. An attempt for "warrior" imagery while removing direct depictions of Native Americans.

Wonder where we heard that before?  Rocky?  Cos?  :)
"The Lord is a Warrior" - Exodus 15:3

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2015, 03:59:05 PM »
What does the arrow mean?  I keep staring at it expecting to see some hidden "M" or "MU" or something.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2015, 05:09:54 PM »
I think this is the universal sign for bein' able to cross diagonally at a controlled intersection, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2015, 11:34:23 PM »
It means we're goin' uptown.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2015, 11:51:50 PM »
Perhaps I should clarify; this was the logo that CBS would show next to Marquette's name.  It may have only been a television thing. It's the only time I ever remember seeing it.

I'd wager that is what was going on.

Skitch

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2015, 12:03:01 AM »

If you can't find an answer here you might want to try sportslogos.net.  They have a forum filled with nerds who discuss the tiniest details on jerseys and logos and whatnot.