[Today at 07:24:54 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by WhiteTrash
[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Lavin out at St Johns  (Read 39742 times)

LAZER

• All American
Re: Lavin out at St Johns
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2015, 02:14:22 PM »
The big apple?  Madison Square Garden?  Are you kidding?

I think Pitino Jr is taking a page out of the Buzz playbook. Seems like he's being mentioned with every open job, whether it makes sense or not.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2015, 02:18:56 PM »
Is St. John's really a step up from Goldy Gopher?

No.  I live in Minnesota and my daughter goes to U of M.  There are about six people in the state who give a crap about the team...and that's only when the hockey team isn't also playing.  St. John's isn't a great job and I understand the concern a coach may have about the future of a non-football conference, but coaching at MSG easily trumps Minnesota.  If SJU were to match what he's getting, he'd be gone in a New York minute.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2015, 02:22:34 PM »
No.  I live in Minnesota and my daughter goes to U of M.  There are about six people in the state who give a crap about the team...and that's only when the hockey team isn't also playing.  St. John's isn't a great job and I understand the concern a coach may have about the future of a non-football conference, but coaching at MSG easily trumps Minnesota.  If SJU were to match what he's getting, he'd be gone in a New York minute.

He also probably can't take the heartbreak of losing the Minny recruiting battles against Wojo for Henry, Sacar and (soon) Coffey.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Eldon

• All American
Re: Lavin is out.
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2015, 02:31:54 PM »
Wow.  I thought he'd have another year, given that they made the tourney this year.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2015, 02:38:38 PM »

The answer would be yes, not no. But yeah, I basically live on campus and you're right, very few people give a rip about Minnesota basketball.  Hockey is and always will be king...speaking of which, nice little match-up versus UMD tonight...GO GOPHS!
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

MU_Beav

• Starter
Re: Lavin is out.
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2015, 02:39:11 PM »
Wow - I'm shocked.  There's got to be more to that story.  Mr. Hurley may have just shifted his view from the Windy City to a part of the world that he's more comfortable with.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2015, 02:39:13 PM »
He also probably can't take the heartbreak of losing the Minny recruiting battles against Wojo for Henry, Sacar and (soon) Coffey.

Pitino didn't even offer Sacar, did he?
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2015, 02:44:48 PM »
Pitino didn't even offer Sacar, did he?

Nope. He was so beaten and disheartened knowing Wojo did offer. He knows Wojo always gets his man.

amen426

• Starter
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2015, 02:57:40 PM »
Mark Jackson would be an interesting name as a former SJU alum.. Doesn't appear like he would get another shot at an NBA coaching job anytime soon. But, I doubt he would leave ESPN right now.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2015, 03:04:44 PM »
Mark Jackson would be an interesting name as a former SJU alum.. Doesn't appear like he would get another shot at an NBA coaching job anytime soon. But, I doubt he would leave ESPN right now.

Jackson doesn't really get along with SJU administration.
Chris Mullin probably doesn't want to coach college kids.
Lavin did well at ESPN and hope he returns, he was actually pretty good.
Maybe the Manhattan coach gets a shot a this job. 

SJU has a stud 2015 SG recruit in Sampson from Louisiana, no MU interest at the time, but if SJU cannot keep him someone else will be really happy. 

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2015, 03:15:33 PM »
Jackson doesn't really get along with SJU administration.
Chris Mullin probably doesn't want to coach college kids.
Lavin did well at ESPN and hope he returns, he was actually pretty good.
Maybe the Manhattan coach gets a shot a this job. 

SJU has a stud 2015 SG recruit in Sampson from Louisiana, no MU interest at the time, but if SJU cannot keep him someone else will be really happy. 

Sampson has decomitted.

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2015, 03:51:33 PM »
Nope. He was so beaten and disheartened knowing Wojo did offer. He knows Wojo always gets his man.

This.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2015, 03:56:15 PM »
Way too much inconsistency from the Johnnies the past few years.  Some nights they were exceptional, other nights it looked like a playground pickup game.  Without question, it's the best decision for the program.

Both St. Johns (New York) and DePaul (Chicago) having coaching openings could really be big time opportunity for the Big East.  With both major markets open, and plenty of top recruits, the right coaches for the jobs could turn both teams into top-tier programs.  I have more faith in St. Johns hiring a quality coach than DePaul, however.

Definitely this.  Every time I watched the Johnnies under Lavin it looked like an ultra high-level YMCA team.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2015, 04:10:13 PM »

chapman

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2015, 04:16:16 PM »
This article is from 2 days ago.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/lavin-set-meet-sju-prez-talk-contract-extension-article-1.2162526

St. John’s coach Steve Lavin will meet with university president Conrado (Bobby) Gempesaw in the coming days to discuss their visions of the basketball program’s future. It’s an annual end-of-season meeting that will likely include a conversation about giving Lavin a contract extension, the Daily News has learned.

Lavin has been a part of ongoing conversations with other school administrators regarding a possible contract extension and they continued on campus Wednesday. The contract talks have been part of evaluations that are conducted at the end of every season. But two sources told The News there is no agreement, as some published reports suggested.

Heh, remembered reading this too.  Guess the contract extension was truly just "possible", as was getting canned.  Wonder if it was regarding the extension, or the President saw differently than the "other school administrators", or the reporters just completely implied that coming off a decent year, with a year on his contract and going into end of year evaluations that an extension must be in the works.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2015, 04:58:56 PM »
Sampson has decomitted.

So, no Harrison, Greene, Pointer, Branch and probably Obekpa.  If Jordan turns pro (doubt), why would he want to stay. 
Wow, SJU is really going to be bad. 

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2015, 05:45:50 PM »
This sort of surprises me.  How many programs, short of maybe a few blue bloods, would let a coach go directly after an NCAA tournament birth, especially when they weren't at that level before he came to the program?

Lavin didn't make St. John's elite, but he made them respectable and relevant (and they were neither before him), all while battling cancer. Unless this is something he also wanted, I don't really understand it.

Norm Roberts (Big East Conference) (2004–2010)
2004-05   Norm Roberts   9–18   3-13   12th   
2005-06   Norm Roberts   12–15   5-11   15th   
2006-07   Norm Roberts   16–15   7-9   11th   
2007-08   Norm Roberts   11–19   5-13   14th   
2008-09   Norm Roberts   16–18   6-12   13th   CBI First Round
2009-10   Norm Roberts   17–16   6-12   13th   NIT First Round
Norm Roberts:   81-101   32-70   

Steve Lavin (Big East Conference) (2010–present)
2010-11   Steve Lavin   21–12   12–6   T-3rd   NCAA Second Round
2011-12   Steve Lavin
Mike Dunlap   2–2
11–17   N/A
6–12   T-11th   
2012-13   Steve Lavin   17–16   8–10   10th   NIT Second Round
2013-14   Steve Lavin   20–13   10–8   T-3rd   NIT First Round
2014-15   Steve Lavin   21–12   10–8   5th   NCAA Second Round
Steve Lavin:   92-72   46-44   

This is not a surprise for anyone out here in NYC metro. Lavin's a clown. Can't coach a lick. Never successful on recruiting trails since he'd pick only one prospect, recruit their heart out, and have no plan when they went elsewhere. The recruits he did land were the kind never good enough to elevate a team in college but NBA people drool over their athleticism and potential which always left the Johnnies high and dry. Throw in multiple disciplinary problems occurring nearly every month of his tenure and it's a no brainer.

Also, regarding his "elevation" of the program that's really down to Norm Roberts. Everyone knew Lavin's first team would go the NCAAs because Roberts left him a ton of talent in that senior class. Lavin never built on that until this past season when he had guys the NBA doesn't like (Harrison, Greene) and guys the NBA has overlooked in the past (Pointer) stick together and if they didn't make it, he'd be fired.

Finally, don't discount that basically the entire team bar Jordan (who may now transfer) has exhausted their eligibility. And there isn't much in the cupboard. Rebuild the likes of which we've seen the last 11 months.

Desert_warrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2015, 07:22:14 PM »

dbwarriors

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2015, 09:44:54 PM »
What about Phil Jackson?  He's got solid NYC ties. 

Bobby Cremins

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2015, 09:49:17 PM »
Tim Cluess of Iona and the St. Johns AD are close. I know Cluess just signed a contract extension, but I am sure if they want him there is a way out of it.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2015, 07:22:35 AM »
The top two names seem to be Mullin and Danny Hurley. If those fall through, Richard Pitino, Tim Cluess, and Steve Masiello next in line. That's what Zagoria is saying, and he's one voice I trust when it comes to the East Coast.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2015, 09:57:35 AM »
One Twitter report...

@coaching_rumors: Mullin has already turned down St Johns & an offer has been made to Hurley.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2015, 01:28:33 PM »
St' Johns faithful want Chris Mullins.  You think Mark Jackson might be interested?
http://nypost.com/2015/03/28/the-sentimental-case-for-chris-mullin-to-reject-st-johns/

NYC high school coaches are glad to see Lavin go, he did not recruit the ciity that well (is that code for "pay them?
http://nypost.com/2015/03/28/why-high-school-coaches-arent-sad-to-see-steve-lavin-go/

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2015, 01:30:26 PM »
Danny Hurley just signed an extension with URI. I wonder if they go after Bobby now.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2015, 04:03:30 PM »
Jon Rothstein @JonRothstein
BREAKING: St. John's has offered Chris Mullin its HC job + he is expected to accept, sources told @CBSSports.