[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by THRILLHO
[Today at 04:05:24 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: The Badgers are an excellent team  (Read 38798 times)

Marquette_g

• All American
  • Gonna Get Some Cold Cuts Today
Re: The Badgers are an excellent team
« Reply #125 on: March 27, 2015, 11:20:06 AM »
I understand this when playing each other; ie. OU vs OSU, Xavier vs Cinci, etc.  I don't understand or want to believe that in state rivalries would be so intense they would wish the worst for the other program, though I know that does happen with some of the most intense like UL vs UK.

How very pollyanna of you.

I'll continue to hate the Badgers (despite growing up in the state) the rest of my life, regardless of whom they play.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #126 on: March 27, 2015, 11:28:39 AM »
It should be a fun thing.

Our school doesn't force them to wear badger clothes, but one particular teacher was pretty hard line about it.

I may out myself or the school, but they do the same thing with the local high school even though the grade school is a feeder school for a catholic high school. The catholic high school never gets a spirit day. I always send my child in the catholic high school clothes when they have the public high school spirit day.

i digress, but it's actually a very hot topic right now as public charter schools give kids the day off to protest/advocate/march for charter school rights, as where it's illegal to do so in a traditional public school.  the lines between private and public are becoming blurred, and i don't think either side of the political isle will like the results when all said and done. 

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #127 on: March 27, 2015, 11:35:42 AM »
Of course, because you probably have selective memory and clearly don't want to remember it as well.  Hard to believe given the attitude of this board that MU fans were willing to cheer for the Badgers in 2003, though I know it happened.

You must then believe the seven or eight of us who also don't remember it being that way are working off selective memories.

Which begs the question, if we all have a selective memory what makes you positive that you don't have a selective memory?

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #128 on: March 27, 2015, 11:37:46 AM »
No question, as much as I like to think those teams in the past were better, they are not.  The kids today are bigger, stronger and faster.  The Lew Alcindor teams were better only becuase they had the best college player by far, but IU.  No way,  Buckner slow, May slow, Benson slow, Abernathy slow,  the team is not as good.  They had nobody on that team that could shot a three.  The game has changed for the best or worst, I do not know.  Yes, experience past they had, but these kids play so much hoop by the time they get to school they are ready.  Better hope that or MU will be even worse then last year with all those freshman and no senior leadership.

There was no 3 point line in 1976, so why should any of the Indiana players have that skill?  You say players are faster and more athletic.  I could just as easily say fundamentals were much better then versus now but that would just be a useless cliche. Since I was born in 1980 I can't compare across eras as easily.  But what if teams from the 1960's and 70's had today's training methods?  Would they have been stronger, faster, and better conditioned?  How much of increased athleticism is simply do to evolution?  Would players have worked on having 3 point shooting had the line existed?  Would modern teams be able to defend as well in the old days when there was a tighter whistle?

These questions are impossible to answer.  My eyes tell me the quality of play has slipped over the last 20 years.  Is it an illusion because defense is so much better?  Not entirely as the whistle has gotten much looser.  The clutch, grab, hack defense that thrives today didn't always exist, though I'm not sure when it exactly started.  Probably didn't happen overnight, rather a slow evolution of increased physical play, loose whistles to "let players decide the game", and increased speed and strength has lead us to the current state of the game.

It's a fun debate and until a time machine is invented so these teams can actually play we'll never have an answer.  But I still contend college basketball ain't what it used to be.  If Kentucky runs the table, they'll join the small list of undefeated teams and go down in history.  But don't confuse dominating your era for dominating across all eras.  The former can be proven by results while the latter is all conjecture.

brandx

« Reply #129 on: March 27, 2015, 11:46:15 AM »
The '76 IU team had 7 players drafted including 4 1st rounders.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #130 on: March 27, 2015, 11:54:36 AM »

Which matches Kentucky in the latest mock draft here:

http://www.nbadraft.net/2015mock_draft

As well as many others.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #131 on: March 27, 2015, 12:22:31 PM »
Agree.

My 4th grader's school had Badger day yesterday which required everyone to wear Badger colors. To my son's credit he told the teacher that he wasn't a Badger fan and we didn't have Badger gear. The teacher told him "too bad wear it anyway".  I made sure he went to school with a MU jersey and a MU shirt underneath so that if they asked him to take off the jersey he would still have MU gear underneath. I told my son the school could call me if they had any problems with it.

Now that is a perfect MU fan response!  Kudos.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #132 on: March 27, 2015, 12:23:44 PM »
This year's Badger team is simply special. That doesn't happen very often around here. Any one of their players on the court is a threat to score the basketball. Don't see why most of y'all can't admit that. Would love for our team to walk a mile in their shoes, and soon.
Just to piss off anyone who isn't already, Notre Dame is damn good too, and in a better conference as well. I think they'll give Kentucky a scare.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #133 on: March 27, 2015, 12:26:19 PM »
This year's Badger team is simply special. That doesn't happen very often around here. Any one of their players on the court is a threat to score the basketball. Don't see why most of y'all can't admit that. Would love for our team to walk a mile in their shoes, and soon.

I don't think anyone denies how good they are. We're all just sick of hearing about it.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #134 on: March 27, 2015, 12:26:50 PM »
4 ever

Best Badger team in my lifetime and readily admit it. My only point is college ball is not what it used to be and the Badgers are not a great team in the big picture. For what college ball has become the Badgers deserve props. I would take 10 years of this years Badgers at MU in a hearbeat.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #135 on: March 27, 2015, 12:27:54 PM »
See I think the overall evolution of the sport means that Kentucky would beat a lot of good teams - including the '76 Hoosiers and many of the UCLA teams.  Go watch recordings of those teams - it's like watching grainy footage of 1950s NFL.  The sport is completely different now.

Using that logic, the "best team ever" would always be the best team of the past couple of years.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #136 on: March 27, 2015, 12:30:56 PM »

Maybe for the Pitt game. But when MU played Kentucky two nights later, half the dome was in red and that place was loud. Ear splitting loud.

I think had MU played game 1 and lost your be a bit heartbroken and not be crazy into whoever played in game 2 either.

I'm trying to find better pictures of it but not really having much success, but every picture I can find from that game shows literally no red at all.  It's a lot of Kentucky blue and Marquette gold.  I can't find a single picture from the game with any red in it.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #137 on: March 27, 2015, 12:32:53 PM »
Of course, because you probably have selective memory and clearly don't want to remember it as well.  Hard to believe given the attitude of this board that MU fans were willing to cheer for the Badgers in 2003, though I know it happened.

Right.  We all have selective memory, but you don't. ::)

OnWisconsin

• Starter
« Reply #138 on: March 27, 2015, 12:37:03 PM »
I'm constantly surprised at how people seemingly don't understand sports fandom. You root against your rivals. Bears fans don't want the Packers winning and vice versa. Yankees and Red Sox, etc down to d3 lacrosse and the CFL. That's just how it works. Don't fight it.

I agree. I have more respect for an MU fan who hates the Badgers, rather than someone who cheers for both teams. It wouldn't be a rivalry, and it wouldn't be any fun. There's bragging rights at stake, and sometimes recruiting battles.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #139 on: March 27, 2015, 12:38:44 PM »
Using that logic, the "best team ever" would always be the best team of the past couple of years.

You do realize that I included teams from the 80s and 90s among the top five ever right?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #140 on: March 27, 2015, 12:39:11 PM »
I agree. I have more respect for an MU fan who hates the Badgers, rather than someone who cheers for both teams. It wouldn't be a rivalry, and it wouldn't be any fun. There's bragging rights at stake, and sometimes recruiting battles.

I have never and will never cheer for the Badgers. They could play the aliens from Space Jam with the fate of the earth hanging in the balance and I'd still boo Bucky. Didn't cheer them in '03 or ever.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #141 on: March 27, 2015, 12:42:02 PM »
The conclusion to the Packers' season was like this for me.

I don't want the Badgers in back to back FF's. 10 years from now they're not going to be talking about the heart break of losing the NC at the buzzer. They're going to be talking about how they went to back to back FF's and Marquette has been to 1 in 50 years.

Yeah, but if they lose you can remind them we has color footage of OUR national championship.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #142 on: March 27, 2015, 12:43:41 PM »
Doc

I agree on ND as well. I actually feel ND would play Badgers very, very well and hold their own in best of seven series. Not sure about them hanging with UK for 40 minutes though.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 01:11:47 PM by Goose »

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #143 on: March 27, 2015, 12:49:53 PM »

You do realize that I included teams from the 80s and 90s among the top five ever right?

Having watched hoops since the early 70s, I can say definitively that there is NO WAY a great team from the 80s or 90s could even stay on the floor with good teams of today, if you take into account the "overall evolution of the game.  Which is why I don't think evolution (athletic abilities, styles of play, etc) should be taken into account.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #144 on: March 27, 2015, 12:53:58 PM »
Having watched hoops since the early 70s, I can say definitively that there is NO WAY a great team from the 80s or 90s could even stay on the floor with good teams of today, if you take into account the "overall evolution of the game.  Which is why I don't think evolution (athletic abilities, styles of play, etc) should be taken into account.
For starters, I guess Michael Jordan and Sam Perkins and James Worthy might disagree with you..... ;)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #145 on: March 27, 2015, 12:54:50 PM »

Agreed. The best comparisons are to compare teams based on how the do against other teams of their own era. Yes, Kentucky had some close calls (back to back OT games most notably) but since the SEC tourney started, their closest margin was 13 points. When they are motivated, they just defeat teams by sheer force of will.

I thought they could do 40-0 preseason, and definitely after the Kansas obliteration. No reason to think they can't go 3-0 from here on out.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Marquette_g

• All American
  • Gonna Get Some Cold Cuts Today
« Reply #146 on: March 27, 2015, 12:59:46 PM »
I've enjoyed that within this thread there are two very different conversations taking place.

I don't think Xavier fans cheer for Cincinnati and vice versa - EVER.  

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #147 on: March 27, 2015, 01:20:53 PM »

Which matches Kentucky in the latest mock draft here:

http://www.nbadraft.net/2015mock_draft

As well as many others.

But to be fair the 1st round then was only 18 picks vs. 30 now

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #148 on: March 27, 2015, 01:24:39 PM »
Growing up as a nomad, my mom's family were all Wisconsin people and Madison fans.  My aunt went there, etc.  I didn't really know MU because it was the 80s and 90s.  I was inundated with Badger gear from the family but never latched on to them, especially in basketball, because they sucked.  I became a super fan of MU basketball once I went there and have despised Bucky.  I have zero reason to hate Bucky other than being a Marquette fan and I would never in a million years cheer for them.

My wife is a Badger and bugs me all the time to just cheer for them when it doesn't matter, and it'll be a cold day in hell when that happens.  I have MU alum friends that were at a bar in Bucky gear last night cheering for them....I think their diploma's should be revoked (I'm mostly serious).

I don't care if you grew up here, or your parents went there they are top 3 hated rival for OUR team, you don't cheer for them.  If you cheer for Bucky in any capacity as a Marquette fan you are a lukewarm Marquette fan at best.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MU82

• All American
« Reply #149 on: March 27, 2015, 01:57:25 PM »
There was no 3 point line in 1976, so why should any of the Indiana players have that skill?  You say players are faster and more athletic.  I could just as easily say fundamentals were much better then versus now but that would just be a useless cliche. Since I was born in 1980 I can't compare across eras as easily.  But what if teams from the 1960's and 70's had today's training methods?  Would they have been stronger, faster, and better conditioned?  How much of increased athleticism is simply do to evolution?  Would players have worked on having 3 point shooting had the line existed?  Would modern teams be able to defend as well in the old days when there was a tighter whistle?

These questions are impossible to answer.  My eyes tell me the quality of play has slipped over the last 20 years.  Is it an illusion because defense is so much better?  Not entirely as the whistle has gotten much looser.  The clutch, grab, hack defense that thrives today didn't always exist, though I'm not sure when it exactly started.  Probably didn't happen overnight, rather a slow evolution of increased physical play, loose whistles to "let players decide the game", and increased speed and strength has lead us to the current state of the game.

It's a fun debate and until a time machine is invented so these teams can actually play we'll never have an answer.  But I still contend college basketball ain't what it used to be.  If Kentucky runs the table, they'll join the small list of undefeated teams and go down in history.  But don't confuse dominating your era for dominating across all eras.  The former can be proven by results while the latter is all conjecture.

Some folks crack me up. They say things with such certainty. So-and-so obviously would beat so-and-so in a 7-game series. Like because they say it, it is fact.

I highlighted two things in your post and I agree wholeheartedly. There is no "right answer" as to whether this Kentucky team is better than the Larry Johnson UNLV team or the Benson/Buckner IU team or any of several UCLA teams.

We can have fun debating it, but please stop pretending to know what would happen in a game between teams that can never meet.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

feedback