[Today at 11:26:20 AM]

NC State by MUMountin
[Today at 11:25:44 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:15:58 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: John Calipari 'Desperately Wants' to Coach in the NBA, Could Be Eyeing Brooklyn  (Read 11256 times)

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
Just pointing out that even so-called "blue bloods" have to deal with rumor mill stuff like this. Doesn't mean Kentucky is a "mid major"

http://www.universityherald.com/articles/17301/20150326/john-calipari-desperately-wants-to-coach-in-the-nba-could-be-eyeing-brooklyn-nets-reports.htm
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

Marquette_g

• All American
  • Gonna Get Some Cold Cuts Today
I thought that the Pelicans basically had their coaching staff on notice that they had to make the playoffs this season.

If that is the case, I would jump at the chance to reunite with Anthony Davis again if I were him.  Davis is good enough to draw free agents to join him, and would seem more inclined to stay in New Orleans with a coach that he is comfortable with.

That would sure beat the mess that is the Nets.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
On the Score today they definitely inferred there may be interest with the Bulls if Cal made the jump.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

jesmu84

• All American
On the Score today they definitely inferred there may be interest with the Bulls if Cal made the jump.

Implied?

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Brooklyn ... they are the old NJ Nets, the team which Cal failed at miserably his last attempt in the NBA.  Why do we think he would be any better this go around?

Cal established his ability to get half the McDonald AA team to sign with him.  He has also shown an ability to coach them against inferior talent.

What of these abilities say he is a good fit for the NBA?

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Implied?

They were reading a report about Cal wanting to go to the NBA and immediately started saying "boy, where could he want to go, look at the roster here, look how ready this team is." Seemed based on the report, they felt Chicago was a logical destination, which is why I used inferred ;)

jesmu84

• All American
Intriguing situation...

If Cal left, how many on the current UK roster would transfer? If say, 3-4 did transfer, would those guys be recruited more or less than the top high school recruits?

jesmu84

• All American
They were reading a report about Cal wanting to go to the NBA and immediately started saying "boy, where could he want to go, look at the roster here, look how ready this team is." Seemed based on the report, they felt Chicago was a logical destination, which is why I used inferred ;)

Just bustin' yer chops, Brew

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Cal willing to take a pay cut like Betrand to get out of town, a'nia?

JWags85

• All American

Id prefer Hoiberg.

Also, how fast would people gleefully claim that sanctions are coming if his interest in the NBA is indeed true?

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Just bustin' yer chops, Brew

Yup, just letting you know I had a reason for my wording ;)

If Cal left, I'd guess most of UK's roster would declare for the draft. Would be interesting to see who they went after to replace him. I'm sure the Va Tech coach would throw his hat in the ring, though the name I've heard mentioned in the past was Jay Wright.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
Speaking of Kentucky, what happened to Billy Gillispie?  For awhile, HE was the hottest name in the coaching carousel.

I would not be shocked if Calipari left after this season, assuming he wins the tournament and goes 40-0.  Head coaches have big egos, and the fact that he failed miserably in the NBA probably still bothers him.  Watching Pete Carroll win a Super Bowl probably didn't help matters either.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
Intriguing situation...

If Cal left, how many on the current UK roster would transfer? If say, 3-4 did transfer, would those guys be recruited more or less than the top high school recruits?

Only place Kentucky players are transferring is the NBA.

willie warrior

• All American
Only place Kentucky players are transferring is the NBA.
If Calcheatucky is thinking about the NBA, that means the NCAA is sniffing around Kentucky.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Speaking of Kentucky, what happened to Billy Gillispie?  For awhile, HE was the hottest name in the coaching carousel.

Doing a whole bunch of nothing...

http://texags.com/s/16678/billy-gillispie-reflects-on-time-at-am-taking-uk-job-billy-kennedy

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
I want this desperately to be true. But I don't think Cal is going anywhere.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American

Inferred ... implied ... whatever. Does The Score have any real "reporters" capable of producing any kind of real information? If so, it's changed since I lived in Chicago.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

PGsHeroes32

• All American

Hoiberg
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
Paxson wouldn't hire Calipari in a million years.

wadesworld

• All American
I'll believe it when I see it.

And what does he do well? Gets a bunch of giant egos to play as a team and play defense. Not to mention a lot of NBA players respect him and would want to play for him. He'd be much better in the NBA than Hoiberg.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
I thought that the Pelicans basically had their coaching staff on notice that they had to make the playoffs this season.

If that is the case, I would jump at the chance to reunite with Anthony Davis again if I were him.  Davis is good enough to draw free agents to join him, and would seem more inclined to stay in New Orleans with a coach that he is comfortable with.

That would sure beat the mess that is the Nets.

What I heard is Thibs to the Pelicans and Hoiberg to the Bulls. Take it for what its worth but thats what my NBA guy said.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
What I heard is Thibs to the Pelicans and Hoiberg to the Bulls. Take it for what its worth but thats what my NBA guy said.

This.

Its gonna be a bidding war for Niang.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

GGGG

• All American
I'll believe it when I see it.

And what does he do well? Gets a bunch of giant egos to play as a team and play defense. Not to mention a lot of NBA players respect him and would want to play for him. He'd be much better in the NBA than Hoiberg.

I think Hoiberg would be good too though. 

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
This.

Its gonna be a bidding war for Niang.

What makes u think he wants to leave ISU?
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

feedback