[Today at 09:45:23 PM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[Today at 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[Today at 08:47:22 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by Goose
[Today at 07:54:34 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: And we wonder why the "average" American is getting fatter....  (Read 14651 times)

Anti-Dentite

• All American
Re: And we wonder why the "average" American is getting fatter....
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2015, 09:49:25 PM »
Couldn't agree more with this.

Fad diets like gluten free or carb free ultimately produce short term results with long term negative impacts.

Eat a reasonable, balanced diet while moving/working out a reasonable amount.  I put on a ton of weight post flying/college, thought I was ok with it but wasn't great, ultimately lost 70 pounds in about 8 months.  Didn't do anything crazy, simply monitored how many calories I ate and tracked how many calories I burned working out and/or just existing. 

I keep doing the same things at my sustain weight and can stay within 2 or 3 pounds of that weight continuously (have for the last 2 years anyway).  If I want to have beer, I do so.  If I want steak, I do so.  If I want a cookie, I do so.  I also know I need to trade those things off either in more activity or less food of something else.

With all the apps and tools out there, this is really pretty easy these days IMHO
Gluten free is not a fad diet to someone with celiac disease but I'm glad it's a fad, more food choices for me.
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2015, 05:48:46 AM »
This.

People are fat for 3 reasons:
#1 They intake too many calories.
#2 They intake the wrong type of calories (in america, that's mostly simple carbs and sugars that are put into everything to make them taste good).
#3 They don't burn enough calories.

All 3 issues need to be addressed. Eat less and move more isn't wrong, but "eat right and move more" is more accurate.

Don't eat anything that is white. Eat a lot of food that is natural and has a lot of color. This isn't hard.

I LOVE French fries. Or fresh warm bread at a restaurant. But I've learned I might as well eat a plate of sugar. Makes a huge difference in how I feel and how I look.
We Are Marquette

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2015, 08:12:50 AM »
Don't eat anything that is white. Eat a lot of food that is natural and has a lot of color. This isn't hard.

I LOVE French fries. Or fresh warm bread at a restaurant. But I've learned I might as well eat a plate of sugar. Makes a huge difference in how I feel and how I look.

Our son's cross country coach was giving the team a talk about nutrition and  told his kids, "Eat foods with a lot of color".  Of course, one of the boys piped up, "So....Skittles?"
Have some patience, FFS.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2015, 10:03:49 AM »
When my wife mentioned she wanted to do paleo I could hear my eyes rolling.  It sounded way too gimmicky, and to an extent, I still think it is.  But once you cut out some of the more unintelligible portions of the "true paleo" diet (why can't I eat beans?  Because a caveman couldn't find beans?), its really just a good shorthand way of cutting back on the "wrong" type of calories that you note.  It's low in simple carbohydrates, forces you to cut out basically all processed foods, and encourages eating a lot more fresh vegetation and lean protein.  I now really enjoy eating this way for 5-6/7 nights a week.  

I do wonder about the long term health effects for folks that take the low carb thing to mean that they should have red meat 5 times a week.  Sure you might lose some weight if you cut out all carbs and stick to protein, but I just feel that there are some unexplored long term risks there in terms of heart and digestive health.  Long way of saying "all things in moderation", I suppose.

Eat more vegetables and lettuce.  A lot more such as broccoli, etc. That will pretty much do it.  Yes, cut out processed foods as much as is reasonable and cut some grains especially white and non-whole wheat.  

The bottom line is that it takes on average about 3500 calories to gain or loose a pound. So if you consume a few hundred calories too much per day that adds up to 10 pounds or so a year.  If you do the inverse you can lose 10 pounds or so.  So just eating a little better and working out a little is all most people need.  I struggle with weight in the winter months when I want to eat "comfort" foods and I work out less.  But cutting 200 calories a day is pretty easy and is a start.  Just make one good choice a day in place of a bad one.

The idea that we want to eat like caveman is pretty comical.  I heard a doctor once say, eat like a caveman if you want to be short, squat, and die before 40... that is how the cavemen lived and what mattered then for survival is completely different than what matters now (don't need pure strength and to consume tons of protein anymore for a modern lifestyle).  The caveman was about short term survival, not living to be 70+, they didn't worry about heart issues or cancer, they just wanted to survive the week or year and sure as heck didn't have to worry about being 70+
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 10:12:43 AM by GOO »

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2015, 10:15:23 AM »
All men over 18 should be killing animals for meat, having lots of sex, and power lifting.  Testosterone and weight problems solved for American men.

You're welcome.

shiloh26

• Starter
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2015, 10:23:22 AM »
Eat more vegetables and lettuce.  A lot more such as broccoli, etc. That will pretty much do it.  Yes, cut out processed foods as much as is reasonable and cut some grains especially white and non-whole wheat.  

The bottom line is that it takes on average about 3500 calories to gain or loose a pound. So if you consume a few hundred calories too much per day that adds up to 10 pounds or so a year.  If you do the inverse you can lose 10 pounds or so.  So just eating a little better and working out a little is all most people need.  I struggle with weight in the winter months when I want to eat "comfort" foods and I work out less.  But cutting 200 calories a day is pretty easy and is a start.  Just make one good choice a day.

The idea that we want to eat like caveman is pretty comical.  I heard a doctor once say, eat like a caveman if you want to be short, squat, and die before 40... that is how the cavemen lived and what mattered then for survival is completely different than what matters now (don't need pure strength and to consume tons of protein anymore for a modern lifestyle).  The caveman was about short term survival, not living to be 70+, they didn't worry about heart issues or cancer, they just wanted to survive the week or year and sure as heck didn't have to worry about being 70+

I agree - which is why I wouldn't follow the more inscrutable paleo stuff (no dairy, no legumes, no grains - even whole grains), as I don't have any particular issues with dairy or gluten, and I really like beer and will give it up FOR NO ONE.

You're advocating for what I think most people who think about these things, and probably most family practitioners, would advocate for - a balanced, common-sense diet full of lots of fruits and vegetables, some protein, some whole-grains and not too much in the way of refined carbohydrates.  Most of us know what is good for us without having to strictly adhere to some gimmicky diet about what people subsisted on 10,000 years ago.

Then again, if you're doing it and you feel good better, more power to you.  I feel like once you get into your late 20s your body starts telling you what makes you feel like crap and what makes you feel pretty good.  

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2015, 10:28:01 AM »

Yep. I love all sorts of carbs, and I have plenty when I splurge and eat at a nice restaurant. I don't think there is anything wrong with that.

The key for me is day to day, skip the grilled cheese, no PB&J, no cheese and crackers, no mac&cheese, spaghetti, etc. etc. We were all taught growing up that those were pretty "healthy" choices, but the reality is that they just aren't. Even if you are eating super whole wheat based grains, it's still probably not the best choice, and they taste awful (to me anyways).

Have more veggies, have protein based snacks (cottage cheese, peanut butter, yogurt, nuts, etc.). Keep grains to a minimum.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2015, 10:34:01 AM »
I agree - which is why I wouldn't follow the more inscrutable paleo stuff (no dairy, no legumes, no grains - even whole grains), as I don't have any particular issues with dairy or gluten, and I really like beer and will give it up FOR NO ONE.

You're advocating for what I think most people who think about these things, and probably most family practitioners, would advocate for - a balanced, common-sense diet full of lots of fruits and vegetables, some protein, some whole-grains and not too much in the way of refined carbohydrates.  Most of us know what is good for us without having to strictly adhere to some gimmicky diet about what people subsisted on 10,000 years ago.

Then again, if you're doing it and you feel good better, more power to you.  I feel like once you get into your late 20s your body starts telling you what makes you feel like crap and what makes you feel pretty good.  

I know some people that have done paleo and love it. But, my guess is that it's a bit like atkins. Atkins says no carbs, right? Well, realistically most people probably cheat a little bit, so they essentially end up with a low-carb, low sugar diet, which is a lot better than the typical american diet.

Paleo says no dairy, but if people are cheating a little bit and having some milk, or a little yogurt occasionally, they are essentially doing a low-carb, low-dairy diet, which again, is a lot better than the typical American diet.

Truthfully, all of the "fads" can work if people dedicate themselves and work at it.

I'm not a huge believer in "cleanses", but I do think refined sugar can be a bit addictive. If you have a crazy sweet tooth, try getting off of sweets for a month and see what happens. I've found once I kicked out most of the sugar, it became a lot easier to resist because my body wasn't craving it.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2015, 10:37:25 AM »

The ironic thing is that everyone I know who does the paleo diet, drinks beer.  And not low cal beer either.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2015, 11:16:13 AM »
All men over 18 should be killing animals for meat, having lots of sex, and power lifting.  Testosterone and weight problems solved for American men.

You're welcome.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2015, 11:49:26 AM »
Gluten free is not a fad diet to someone with celiac disease but I'm glad it's a fad, more food choices for me.

Yup!!

GOO

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2015, 12:10:40 PM »
I know some people that have done paleo and love it. But, my guess is that it's a bit like atkins. Atkins says no carbs, right? Well, realistically most people probably cheat a little bit, so they essentially end up with a low-carb, low sugar diet, which is a lot better than the typical american diet.

Paleo says no dairy, but if people are cheating a little bit and having some milk, or a little yogurt occasionally, they are essentially doing a low-carb, low-dairy diet, which again, is a lot better than the typical American diet.

Truthfully, all of the "fads" can work if people dedicate themselves and work at it.

I'm not a huge believer in "cleanses", but I do think refined sugar can be a bit addictive. If you have a crazy sweet tooth, try getting off of sweets for a month and see what happens. I've found once I kicked out most of the sugar, it became a lot easier to resist because my body wasn't craving it.
Really sugar is the biggest problem and why we need to avoid processed foods.  If eliminate as much sugar as possible, your really doing about the best thing you can do for yourself. 

I think most of these diets force one to eat healthier be excluding processed foods. I know when I tried a modified Atkins diet 15 years ago or so, since I don't buy into eating a lot of meat is good for you, it forced me to eat a lot of veggies and lettuce AND cut out sugar AND processed foods.  That is probably the real trick to most of these diets.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2015, 12:21:59 PM »
Really sugar is the biggest problem and why we need to avoid processed foods.  If eliminate as much sugar as possible, your really doing about the best thing you can do for yourself. 

I think most of these diets force one to eat healthier be excluding processed foods. I know when I tried a modified Atkins diet 15 years ago or so, since I don't buy into eating a lot of meat is good for you, it forced me to eat a lot of veggies and lettuce AND cut out sugar AND processed foods.  That is probably the real trick to most of these diets.

Correct.

I'm not a dietician, but I know that sugar is hidden is a LOT of foods that we eat (surprise! sugar tastes good, so we like those foods)

You want to boil up some boxed noodles and dump some ragu on it? Go for it, but you'd probably be better off eating a jumbo snickers instead. At least you'd be getting some nuts with your sugar.

The problem is, to a lot of people, having a plate of spaghetti is "healthy"... they just don't know what they are really putting in their body.

Also, the marketing is totally F-ed on this kinda stuff. All-natural, organic, low-fat, low sugar, low carb, etc. etc. etc. It's all pretty much designed to trick somebody into purchasing that product when they go to the grocery store. It's hard for people to decipher what they should be eating because there is no consistency and very little regulating the messages from the brands.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2015, 12:26:47 PM »

There appears to be more and more evidence linking the consumption of sugar to Alzheimer's disease.  Since I first heard that, I began asking folks who mentioned a relative's Alzheimer's diagnosis if that person had a sweet tooth, and almost invariably, the answer was along the lines of, "Oh, yes!  He absolutely loved sweets!  Why do you ask?"  The founder of a company I worked for in the past is in the final stages of Alzheimer's; it was a vending company, and the guy was constantly munching on candy.  I know it's all anecdotal, but so far, I haven't had a single person tell me, "Naw, he was more of a salty-snack kind of guy."

And you know, Reagan and his jelly beans.....
Have some patience, FFS.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2015, 12:31:00 PM »
Correct.

I'm not a dietician, but I know that sugar is hidden is a LOT of foods that we eat (surprise! sugar tastes good, so we like those foods)

You want to boil up some boxed noodles and dump some ragu on it? Go for it, but you'd probably be better off eating a jumbo snickers instead. At least you'd be getting some nuts with your sugar.

The problem is, to a lot of people, having a plate of spaghetti is "healthy"... they just don't know what they are really putting in their body.

Also, the marketing is totally F-ed on this kinda stuff. All-natural, organic, low-fat, low sugar, low carb, etc. etc. etc. It's all pretty much designed to trick somebody into purchasing that product when they go to the grocery store. It's hard for people to decipher what they should be eating because there is no consistency and very little regulating the messages from the brands.

I'm having spaghetti tonight.  Are you saying I should have a Snickers instead?

I could go with that.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2015, 01:10:12 PM »
Paleo is a fad diet.  Gluten free/no wheat (unless you have Celiacs) is a fad diet.

As many have noted, the key is just eating healthier.  No junk food, more vegetables (avoid Soy).  Cut calories exercise more.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2015, 01:16:08 PM »
Grain Brain authored by Perlmutter

Find it on Amazon or your neighborhood book store. Might just save yo life, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2015, 01:49:01 PM »

Find it on Amazon or your neighborhood book store. Might just save yo life, hey?

Or maybe not.

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2013/12/this-is-your-brain-on-gluten/282550/

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2015, 05:17:50 PM »

No offense, but people like Perlmutter and Dr. Oz are idiots.  They claim to speak science, but none of the things they say are remotely scientific, nor are most of them accurate.

All their theories are based on correlation, not causation.  

They are part of the reason that in addition to the "average" American getting fatter, they are also getting dumber.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 09:01:03 AM by forgetful »

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2015, 04:47:27 AM »
There appears to be more and more evidence linking the consumption of sugar to Alzheimer's disease.  Since I first heard that, I began asking folks who mentioned a relative's Alzheimer's diagnosis if that person had a sweet tooth, and almost invariably, the answer was along the lines of, "Oh, yes!  He absolutely loved sweets!  Why do you ask?"  The founder of a company I worked for in the past is in the final stages of Alzheimer's; it was a vending company, and the guy was constantly munching on candy.  I know it's all anecdotal, but so far, I haven't had a single person tell me, "Naw, he was more of a salty-snack kind of guy."

And you know, Reagan and his jelly beans.....

Great medical research.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2015, 06:32:05 AM »
Stress is the #1 killer. Find a beach.

feedback