[Today at 06:19:23 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[Today at 05:33:25 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by WhiteTrash
[Today at 04:47:36 PM]

NIL Future by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:56:29 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Top on the courts, but Wisconsin at bottom of graduation rates  (Read 16278 times)

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
Re: Top on the courts, but Wisconsin at bottom of graduation rates
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2015, 11:40:46 AM »
With Wojo we will strive for that.  We will probably see at least 1 player not make it to graduation before getting paid to play basketball though.

Probably one of the Maches, but the question is which one?
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2015, 11:48:09 AM »
With the poor graduation rates, how do they avoid losing scholarships?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2015, 12:07:59 PM »
With the poor graduation rates, how do they avoid losing scholarships?

I was wondering the same. Scholarship reductions or a postseason ban. Though to be fair, when UConn got that ban, their numbers were really, really bad. Made UW look like a bunch of Einsteins.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Let's Go Warriors

• Team Captain
  • Lets Go Warriors(clap clap clap clap clap)...
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2015, 12:11:29 PM »
I was wondering the same. Scholarship reductions or a postseason ban. Though to be fair, when UConn got that ban, their numbers were really, really bad. Made UW look like a bunch of Einsteins.

Im pretty sure the ncaa rules for this kind of thing have nothing to do with graduation rates.  Some sort of PPA or something like that.  I believe it amounts to credits earned per semester while on the bball team.  Otherwise the Kentucky's or the world would continuously be on probation.

Warrior As defined by Webster's:
A person who fights in battles and is known for having courage and skill

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2015, 12:17:42 PM »
Im pretty sure the ncaa rules for this kind of thing have nothing to do with graduation rates.  Some sort of PPA or something like that.  I believe it amounts to credits earned per semester while on the bball team.  Otherwise the Kentucky's or the world would continuously be on probation.

I guess the question would be if their guys are in good academic standing. If so many are staying there for 4+ years (Bo likes his redshirts) and not graduating, it seems like there might be some questions as to whether they're earning enough credits.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2015, 01:29:36 PM »
Maybe they're just taking the minimum number of credits to stay eligible, or loading up on easier classes and not doing a good job of selecting courses that advance them toward graduating.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2015, 01:38:44 PM »
I guess the question would be if their guys are in good academic standing. If so many are staying there for 4+ years (Bo likes his redshirts) and not graduating, it seems like there might be some questions as to whether they're earning enough credits.

Let's say that they have a typical, 120 degree program.

A student athlete has to be at 40% of that total by the end of the their sophomore year - 48 credits.  That's an average of 12 credits a semester.  No problem right?  Especially if you take a class or two during the summer.

Well, unless they have to take remedial classes.  Which my guess is that some players have to take.  I think *that * is probably the issue.

I read somewhere that Kaminsky is only taking one course this spring.  No doubt that many players can accomplish that easily if they are good students.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2015, 04:29:35 PM »

A student athlete has to be at 40% of that total by the end of the their sophomore year - 48 credits.  That's an average of 12 credits a semester.  No problem right?  Especially if you take a class or two during the summer.

Well, unless they have to take remedial classes.  Which my guess is that some players have to take.  I think *that * is probably the issue.

I read somewhere that Kaminsky is only taking one course this spring.  No doubt that many players can accomplish that easily if they are good students.

You don't have to be a full-time student to participate in athletics?

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2015, 04:30:35 PM »

I thought the same...I thought 7 credits was the minimum for a student-athlete, other than grad students.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2015, 04:30:57 PM »

Wasn't it Jerel that was taking Ballroom Dancing and only Ballroom Dancing his last semester?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2015, 04:33:06 PM »

I believe it is six credits per term, and have to get 40% of their program done after two years, 60% after three and 80% after four.

I think Kaminsky gets a pass because he only needed on additional class.

Jaybee could help here.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2015, 04:33:22 PM »

They have six years to complete their degrees, so even if they take remedial courses they should be covered.  But staying eligible doesn't get you to a degree.  You probably need an extra 1.5 years to get a degree if you take just enough to get by per the NCAA.  

Also, they may take easy courses and not take advanced courses (most colleges require a certain amount of upper level courses) needed to graduate?

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2015, 11:33:29 AM »

I believe it is six credits per term, and have to get 40% of their program done after two years, 60% after three and 80% after four.

I think Kaminsky gets a pass because he only needed on additional class.

Jaybee could help here.

Why?  Did Jaybee only take one class his senior year, too?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2015, 09:29:35 AM »
The latest GSR scores are out now that college graduations have come and past, and Bucky's score of 44 is now...down to 40%?  Uh-oh...
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2015, 09:41:55 AM »
The latest GSR scores are out now that college graduations have come and past, and Bucky's score of 44 is now...down to 40%?  Uh-oh...

Too many traditionals - need more Jucos. Seriously, you would think a program that has so many 4 and 5 (red shirt) year players would do better.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2015, 11:33:23 AM »
Wasn't it Jerel that was taking Ballroom Dancing and only Ballroom Dancing his last semester?

Pretty sure you're thinking of Matt LI have a toothachert not Jerel McNeal... I could see how someone could confuse the two. Does MU even offer ballroom dancing?

http://sportsprof.blogspot.com/2005/10/matt-lI have a toothacherts-class-schedule-is.html

feedback