[Today at 07:24:54 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by WhiteTrash
[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Top on the courts, but Wisconsin at bottom of graduation rates  (Read 16279 times)

VegasWarrior77

• All American
By Derrick Z. Jackson  MARCH 24, 2015

http://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/2015/03/24/march-madness-top-courts-but-wisconsin-badgers-bottom-graduation-rates/I8LIg6FKwrz1nK250NKaJJ/story.html?hootPostID=247aca690a7d0d9faaf0bbd5def55d41#

As a born-and-raised Cheesehead, I would love to chant “On Wisconsin” with a straight face as the Big Ten champion Wisconsin Badgers are a top seed in the NCAA’s men’s basketball tournament. But the honest tune is, “Off Wisconsin.”

If the 68 teams were seeded by graduation rates, the Badgers would be a bottom seed. They have the lowest Graduation Success Rate for black men of zero and the third-lowest overall at 40 percent. They were one of 16 teams that should be disqualified for historically graduating less than 50 percent of either black or white players or having an overall rate under 50 percent.

Now I know precisely what’s coming from Badger boosters. In my 19 years of following college football grad rates and the 18 I have tracked basketball’s, fans of flagrantly bad teams traditionally whine that the National Collegiate Athletic Association graduation rates are long-term data that do not necessarily reflect the men who are on the court at this very moment.

In fact last season, a New York Times story centered how the Badgers studied Italian, accounting, business and Plessy v. Ferguson during the tournament. A recent Forbes writer said a Badgers national championship would be “good for college basketball,” because their star senior players “prioritized academics,” without the “one-and-done stigma” displayed by para-professional programs such as No. 1 ranked and undefeated Kentucky. Ironically, Kentucky deserves a lot more credit than Wisconsin on this score as, of the players who don’t bolt for the pros, 89 percent of them graduate.

Long-term data still remain the best way to gauge a university’s sustained commitment to the model of student athlete. The current data accounts for the freshman scholarship athletes who entered school in either 2004-’05, 2005-’06, 2006-’07 or 2007-’08, with each athlete getting a federal-standard six years to graduate. The last possible freshman class that had six years to graduate by 2014 was the 2007-08 class. The NCAA says its data for each school is “provided by the institution.”

Four years of data tell you a lot more than one. And the Badgers aside, the public pressure to meet higher graduation rates continues to bear greatly-improved fruit. Both black and white male players set new respective Graduation Success Rate records of 68 percent and 95 percent. White male players are now on par with white women basketball players, who have a 96 percent graduation rate. Black women are at 83 percent.

Of the New England teams in the tournament, the Harvard and Northeastern men and the Connecticut and Quinnipiac women were 100 percent across the board. Work of course remains to be done on the major disparities remaining between black and white men. Those gaps can close quickly if programs like Wisconsin’s prove that this year is not a fluke, the academic version of one and done.

Derrick Z. Jackson can be reached at jackson@globe.com.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

Groin_pull

• All American
Re: Top on the courts, but Wisconsin at bottom of graduation rates
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 04:09:44 PM »
Gosh, that hardly jives with their endless 'Harvard of the West" bullish*t.

Could it be that UW is just a...gasp...basketball factory???

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 04:13:29 PM »

No, no you misunderstand.  They recruit great students, it's just really hard for even great students to graduate from such a challenging university.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 04:39:55 PM »

A factory that has very few NBA buyers of its product.

ChuckyChip

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 07:22:07 PM »

C'mon man, the correct word is "jibes" not "jives".  Sheesh, did you attend the University of Wisconsin or something???

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 09:36:19 PM »
Diamond will fit right in at Madison.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2015, 09:54:11 PM »
C'mon man, the correct word is "jibes" not "jives".  Sheesh, did you attend the University of Wisconsin or something???

Thanks for the lesson, douchebag. Hope I spelled it correctly.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2015, 10:09:25 PM »

Coincidentally the writer, Jackson, got is graduate degree at Haaavard.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2015, 10:48:18 PM »
Breadtree is on the case

http://buckyville.yuku.com/topic/79217/Total-hit-piece-Boston-Globe-UW-Basketball-academics

They managed to get in several derogatory comments on Marquette on the first page of that thread, despite the topic having nothing to do with us.  They just can't help themselves over there.

Skitch

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2015, 10:52:47 PM »
Coincidentally the writer, Jackson, got is graduate degree at Haaavard.

and his undergrad at UW-Milwaukee

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2015, 12:15:33 AM »
I simply do not understand how this is true. 68th out of 68? That is shocking, particularly for a program that seems to buck the transfer tend pretty well.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2015, 06:54:20 AM »
I simply do not understand how this is true. 68th out of 68? That is shocking, particularly for a program that seems to buck the transfer tend pretty well.

"I drank the Kool-aid, you mean it does not work?  How can this be???"

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2015, 07:13:41 AM »
I'm sure Potrykus will have an article out today to correct all these misunderstandings.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2015, 12:50:23 PM »
"I drank the Kool-aid, you mean it does not work?  How can this be???"

Come on now. I enjoy a bit of schadenfreude when it comes to Wisconsin as much as any other red-blooded American, but the fact that they're dead last is pretty surprising.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2015, 01:54:10 PM »
Come on now. I enjoy a bit of schadenfreude when it comes to Wisconsin as much as any other red-blooded American, but the fact that they're dead last is pretty surprising.

There have been a number of articles out over the years about how poor their graduation rate is in basketball.  It is really bad, no way around it.  I find it odd given the number of redshirts and the supposedly high standards that UW has (which we know is not true, and I suppose will be confirmed if they get a commit from one particular big fella this spring).

If I have time later, I'll find an article that went into great detail on this last year and just how bad UW has been.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2015, 02:19:13 PM »
There have been a number of articles out over the years about how poor their graduation rate is in basketball.  It is really bad, no way around it.  I find it odd given the number of redshirts and the supposedly high standards that UW has (which we know is not true, and I suppose will be confirmed if they get a commit from one particular big fella this spring).

If I have time later, I'll find an article that went into great detail on this last year and just how bad UW has been.

Hmm. Well this is the first I remember hearing about it, so I was pretty surprised. I may be the only one who was.
Signature:

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2015, 03:23:45 PM »
Hmm. Well this is the first I remember hearing about it, so I was pretty surprised. I may be the only one who was.

That's because evidently, you're still red-blooded; unlike us true Warriors who are blue-blooded.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

brandx

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2015, 03:27:47 PM »
They managed to get in several derogatory comments on Marquette on the first page of that thread, despite the topic having nothing to do with us.  They just can't help themselves over there.

Or.. over here.

I can't believe the silliness and petty attitude about another school's forum. Of course they will say good things about their team and disparage others.

It is what fans do everywhere - including all of the time on this board. Anytime UW is mentioned, we hear from the same people with the same type of comments. And, that is fine. It is what fans (should) do. Here, There, and Everywhere.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2015, 03:43:11 PM »
I just did a quick search and pulled an article with graduation rates.  Go down about 1/2 way for the basketball graduation rates.  It is broken down by conference.  You'll see who is last in the Big 10 in basketball.  This article was from 2013, but there are plenty out there from different years, etc.  It isn't a quirk, it is a consistent pattern.

Being totally serious here, UW has to step this up.  They keep it quiet, but at some point if they are not winning, someone will get attention at UW for making a stink about it. 

http://stanford.scout.com/story/1273612-the-bootleg-s-2013-graduation-rate-analysis

chapman

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2015, 04:23:55 PM »
Hope they focus on improving internally, even if the bulk of the fans (not all) are trying to excuse it.  Heck, I even hope we improve and strive for the 100% figures we often had in the past.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2015, 08:25:09 AM »
I just did a quick search and pulled an article with graduation rates.  Go down about 1/2 way for the basketball graduation rates.  It is broken down by conference.  You'll see who is last in the Big 10 in basketball.  This article was from 2013, but there are plenty out there from different years, etc.  It isn't a quirk, it is a consistent pattern.

Being totally serious here, UW has to step this up.  They keep it quiet, but at some point if they are not winning, someone will get attention at UW for making a stink about it. 

http://stanford.scout.com/story/1273612-the-bootleg-s-2013-graduation-rate-analysis

That is abysmal and high on the Squirm-O-Meter, especially considering that those graduation numbers include the cadre of walk-ons under aid sitting at the end of Bucky's bench and all those redshirted freshmen.  St. Bo: "Just Win, baby".

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/research/graduation-rates

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2015, 09:53:18 AM »
The NCAA doesn't typically let any signs in to the NCAA tournament games, or at least they try to prevent them.

I'm going to get one created up today and try to sneak it in.  Seats are behind the basket, but off to the side (not directly behind).

BADGERATION RATES
#64 out of #64

Cinderella Story

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2015, 10:00:53 AM »
Personally I'd go with

UW Vadguation Rates

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2015, 10:34:24 AM »
Hope they focus on improving internally, even if the bulk of the fans (not all) are trying to excuse it.  Heck, I even hope we improve and strive for the 100% figures we often had in the past.

With Wojo we will strive for that.  We will probably see at least 1 player not make it to graduation before getting paid to play basketball though.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

feedback