Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Is Herb Sendek Out at ASU? Did MU help push him out?  (Read 7867 times)

VegasWarrior77

• All American
Is Herb Sendek Out at ASU? Did MU help push him out?
« on: March 23, 2015, 11:29:10 PM »
http://arizonastate.scout.com/story/1530633-sendek-job-uncertain-ahead-of-tuesday-meeting?s=43

SENDEK JOB UNCERTAIN AHEAD OF TUESDAY MEETING

Chris Karpman
Publisher

The future of Arizona State's basketball program is unclear as its head coach and athletics director are set discuss the job Tuesday morning in Tempe.

Herb Sendek and Arizona State Vice President for Athletics Ray Anderson are scheduled to meet Tuesday morning at 9:45 to discuss the future of the men's basketball program at the school, according to multiple sources familiar with the plan.

Though Sendek received a one-year extension from Anderson, which was ratified by the Arizona Board of Regents in December and pushed his contract term through June of 2017, after nine seasons in Tempe his situation is very much uncertain entering Tuesday's meeting.

In a radio interview with Arizona Sports 98.7 FM's Bickley and Marotta last Wednesday, Anderson said he would evaluate the totality of Sendek's tenure and the 2014-15 season, which ended with a record of 18-16 record on Sunday with a 76-70 overtime loss to Richmond in the second round of the National Invitational.

"Most importantly, you try to think of what's in the best interest going forward, because the past doesn't do us any good," Anderson told Bickley and Marotta. "If you're trying to be elite and best in class, then you have to look forward aggressively all the time about how do you continue to get better. So as part of that evaluation, I will look at all of the things that happened this season, and then make a determination of the best way forward."

Though nine seasons at ASU, Sendek has an overall record of 155-133 including 68-86 in Pac-12 games with two NCAA Tournament Appearances, 2008-09 and 2013-14.

This season the Sun Devils started 0-4 in Pac-12 play before finishing the regular season with wins in nine of 14 games for a .500 finish at 9-9 in Pac-12 play and a No. 5 seed in the Pac-12 Tournament, four spots higher than they were predicted to finish in the preseason conference media poll.

But ASU lost in the first round of the Pac-12 tournament to No. 12 seed USC after leading by 14 points with nine minutes left in the game, a result Anderson called "painful for a lot of folks."

The ramifications of that loss, even after ASU rebounded with a win at defending NCAA Tournament champion Connecticut in the opening round of the NIT, are perhaps still being felt.

"We have heard from a lot of folks who are very disgruntled with where the program is," Anderson told Bickley and Marotta. "So at the end of the day, you've got to evaluate the program and do what's in the best interest of Sun Devil athletics."

Despite five 20-plus win seasons in his last eight years at ASU, Sendek has become deeply polarizing within the program's season ticket holders and fans.

Attendance numbers stuck in the bottom-half of the league, including eighth in 2014-15 with an average of 5,985 for home games. This, despite a much improved turn out among ASU students in the last two years and national recognition for the so-called "Curtain of Distraction."

But ASU's Academic Progress Rate number is at an all-time program high of 989, and the Sun Devils have a handful of committed and signed prospects in the 2015 and 2016 classes who are well regarded. They also return four starters next year and should be improved from a team that played its best basketball in February and March, a bad Pac-12 Tournament loss to USC and ugly showing at Utah notwithstanding.

Additionally, the Pac-12 as a league has looked increasingly good due to its showing in the NCAA Tournament this month, at 7-1 overall and three teams, Arizona, UCLA and Utah, reaching the Sweet 16.

Sendek is scheduled to make $1.3 million in 2015-16 if he remains at ASU, a $100,000 increase over this year. On July 1 of 2016 his salary would increase to $1.5 million. Sendek would also automatically receive an additional contract year if his team wins 20 games or plays in an NCAA Tournament game in any year of his remaining contract.

A source familiar with the Arizona Board of Regents decision in December said its Vice Chairman Jay Heiler, led the board to its decision to reject a guaranteed three year extension that Anderson had initially sought for Sendek.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

MU82

• All American
Re: Is Herb Sendek Out at ASU? Did MU help push him out?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 11:59:00 PM »
Well, he definitely coached horribly against us. Even if one allows for him not knowing much about Luke Fischer going into the game, he might have ... I don't know ... tried to make an adjustment or two during the game?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 12:01:41 AM »
Ben Howland to Arizona State.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

mubb34

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 11:52:54 AM »
My buddy just said that ESPN radio Phoenix said that they are going to pursue Wojo....I cant buy it.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 11:55:42 AM »
If I were them I would go for Archie -- wouldn't that make Thanksgiving a hoot.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 12:06:24 PM »
Ners to ASU!

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2015, 12:10:14 PM »
Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN  3m3 minutes ago
Herb Sendek has been fired at Arizona State, sources told ESPN.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2015, 12:10:57 PM »
My buddy just said that ESPN radio Phoenix said that they are going to pursue Wojo....I cant buy it.

I don't think either side would have interest.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2015, 12:17:03 PM »

I don't think either side would have interest.

+1
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2015, 12:17:57 PM »
Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN  8m8 minutes ago
Herb Sendek has been fired at Arizona State, sources told ESPN.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2015, 12:20:15 PM »
Do we know any coaches who would enjoy sunbathing in Arizona?

WarriorInNYC

• All American

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2015, 12:25:39 PM »
Looks like they are looking at Jeff Capel.  I think that would be a good hire.  He's better than his end at Oklahoma IMO.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2015, 12:26:59 PM »
Looks like they are looking at Jeff Capel.  I think that would be a good hire.  He's better than his end at Oklahoma IMO.

But all former Duke assistants are terrible.

MuMark

• All American

Hubert Davis

• Starter
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2015, 12:31:17 PM »
Buzz to ASU.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2015, 12:36:40 PM »
Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN  15m15 minutes ago
Arizona State needs a high-energy, young guy who will connect w/fans. Someone who knows area would help. Josh Pastner makes plenty of sense.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2015, 12:43:43 PM »

If this happens, a PAC-12 school pursuing a first year coach that if 13-19 lifetime, then it confirms we made the best hire possible, maybe better than hiring Shaka.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2015, 12:59:33 PM »
My thought exactly...

Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN  6m6 minutes ago
Gotta wonder if Ben Howland regrets taking Mississippi State -- now that Arizona State popped open. Starkville or Tempe?  LOL

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2015, 01:36:27 PM »
Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN  15m15 minutes ago
Arizona State needs a high-energy, young guy who will connect w/fans. Someone who knows area would help. Josh Pastner makes plenty of sense.
Archie Miller was an assistant at AU under his brother.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2015, 06:36:29 PM »
If this happens, a PAC-12 school pursuing a first year coach that if 13-19 lifetime, then it confirms we made the best hire possible, maybe better than hiring Shaka.

Maybe?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2015, 08:40:11 AM »
Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN  1h1 hour ago
Another name that is in the mix as a target at Arizona State, per sources: TCU's Trent Johnson.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2015, 08:42:33 AM »
Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN  1h1 hour ago
Another name that is in the mix as a target at Arizona State, per sources: TCU's Trent Johnson.

How the hell does this guy keep getting mentioned for jobs?  I think he is an OK coach, but he never stays anywhere more than a few years.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2015, 08:51:47 AM »
How the hell does this guy keep getting mentioned for jobs?  I think he is an OK coach, but he never stays anywhere more than a few years.

Still managed to beat Crean from the locker room.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2015, 02:01:19 PM »
ASU is a tough job. I'm sure they want Capel, but were I him, I'm not sure I'd want ASU. UA casts a massive shadow and no one has really had sustained success there. They haven't had consecutive NCAA appearances since 1980-81, haven't been to a Sweet 16 in 20 years, haven't been to an Elite 8 in 40.

If I'm a mid-major guy making under $300k I'd be all over it because they'd triple my salary, but if I'm anyone that has aspirations of success, I'd probably pass.

That said, it is a perfect job for Lavin. If he could muster a few NIT appearances and one trip to the NCAAs in his first 5 years, he'd get a renewal, could easily be at that job for probably 8-10 years. Great golf and weather, only needs to hit on the occasional recruit to match what Sendek did, and not winning in March is what they're used to.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.