Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Brian Wardle a potential candidate for Bradley job  (Read 43232 times)

MUsoxfan

• Team Captain
Re: Brian Wardle a potential candidate for Bradley job
« Reply #50 on: March 26, 2015, 10:25:12 PM »
If someone offered you 3x your salary, would you consider it a lateral move?

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #51 on: March 26, 2015, 10:43:03 PM »
Seems like a lateral move except that 1) Bradley is a better springboard for more profile HC positions and 2) he is in the center of more basketball talent than at GB.

In what kind of lateral move do you get 2-3x the money???

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #52 on: March 26, 2015, 11:00:47 PM »
In what kind of lateral move do you get 2-3x the money???
Yah, but........ Is it a good long-term career move for a young person.  Extra bucks in the short term could lead to a career assistant role in the long term....

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #53 on: March 26, 2015, 11:01:57 PM »
Way better recruiting ground. Gets to see the best of Illinois in his home gym every year.

MUsoxfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #54 on: March 26, 2015, 11:18:40 PM »
Yah, but........ Is it a good long-term career move for a young person.  Extra bucks in the short term could lead to a career assistant role in the long term....

But less bucks now can lead to a career assistant role in the long term. I'm not sure what you're saying. Having 3x the salary with a wife and little kids can come in really handy

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #55 on: March 26, 2015, 11:29:00 PM »
But less bucks now can lead to a career assistant role in the long term. I'm not sure what you're saying. Having 3x the salary with a wife and little kids can come in really handy
In short, it's not always about $$$$$$$

MUsoxfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #56 on: March 26, 2015, 11:33:29 PM »
In short, it's not always about $$$$$$$

That's true when you're in the 7-figure pay grade. But when you're not, it's largely about the $$$.

$200k is a nice salary, but $900k would make almost every person on earth willing to take a lighter to that $200k

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #57 on: March 27, 2015, 08:11:07 AM »
As an assistant at Detroit.  Did get 2 years at Iniabpna as HC later.  Going as an assistant is not really a springboard.  Versace's success at Bradley was all about Hersey Hawkins.

He had 26- and 23-win seasons at Bradley and took them to the NCAA tournament before Hawkins got there.

That said, history shows that if you win in the the MVC, you will get an opportunity at a high-major job.
Steve Alford, Dana Altman, Bob Bender, Mark Turgeon, Kevin Stallings, Nolan Richardson, Bruce Weber, Tubby Smith and Cuonzo Martin all coached in the MVC.
The MVC is an established path to a high-major gig. Not so much for the Horizon.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 08:21:52 AM by Pakuni »

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #58 on: March 27, 2015, 08:35:15 AM »

The MVC is an established path to a high-major gig. Not so much for the Horizon.

I'm not here to be the PR guy for the Horizon League, it's not as strong as the MVC historically.  But come on, Bruce Pearl, Dick Bennett, Butler University itself, have all moved onward and upward with Horizon League roots.  

If you're really good, the majors will find you.  

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #59 on: March 27, 2015, 08:37:15 AM »
I may have missed it, but no mention of the allure of Big Al's in taking the Bradley gig?   ;D

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #60 on: March 27, 2015, 08:41:54 AM »
I'm not here to be the PR guy for the Horizon League, it's not as strong as the MVC historically.  But come on, Bruce Pearl, Dick Bennett, Butler University itself, have all moved onward and upward with Horizon League roots. 

Bo Ryan

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #61 on: March 27, 2015, 09:22:51 AM »
I'm not here to be the PR guy for the Horizon League, it's not as strong as the MVC historically.  But come on, Bruce Pearl, Dick Bennett, Butler University itself, have all moved onward and upward with Horizon League roots.  

Bo and Dick may be exceptions in that I'm not sure they'd have landed high-major gigs at any place other than UW. Heck, Bo was the Badgers' third choice when they hired him, after Majerus and Ben Braun turned them down.
Not claiming a coach can't go from a Horizon gig to a major, but it's much more rare than from a conference like the MVC. I think the numbers support this.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #62 on: March 27, 2015, 09:28:38 AM »
He had 26- and 23-win seasons at Bradley and took them to the NCAA tournament before Hawkins got there.

That said, history shows that if you win in the the MVC, you will get an opportunity at a high-major job.
Steve Alford, Dana Altman, Bob Bender, Mark Turgeon, Kevin Stallings, Nolan Richardson, Bruce Weber, Tubby Smith and Cuonzo Martin all coached in the MVC.
I was referring to Bradley as opposed to the MVC. Bradley has been mostly a dead end for its HCs in term of moving up in Div I (Versace went to the NBA as an assistant).   In the end, will it (MVC) play in Peoria for Brian..... ;)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 09:32:44 AM by Nukem2 »

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #63 on: March 27, 2015, 09:31:35 AM »
Bo and Dick may be exceptions in that I'm not sure they'd have landed high-major gigs at any place other than UW. Heck, Bo was the Badgers' third choice when they hired him, after Majerus and Ben Braun turned them down.
Not claiming a coach can't go from a Horizon gig to a major, but it's much more rare than from a conference like the MVC. I think the numbers support this.

I sure don't recall Braun being higher on the Badgers list than Bo back in '01.  I think they zeroed on Bo almost immediately.  I don't think they even made a play for Majerus either, they knew they weren't going to get him. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #64 on: March 27, 2015, 11:12:22 AM »
I sure don't recall Braun being higher on the Badgers list than Bo back in '01.  I think they zeroed on Bo almost immediately.  I don't think they even made a play for Majerus either, they knew they weren't going to get him. 

They very publicly went after Majerus and put out feelers for Braun, who said he wasn't interested.

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1314&dat=20010321&id=i2VWAAAAIBAJ&sjid=a_IDAAAAIBAJ&pg=3949,104308&hl=en

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #65 on: March 27, 2015, 06:59:05 PM »
Bradley interviews Nagy, Wardle for basketball job; Fife also in mix, sources say
http://www.pjstar.com/article/20150327/SPORTS/150329228/11130/SPORTS

By Dave Reynolds
of the Journal Star

Posted Mar. 27, 2015 at 5:20 PM

PEORIA — South Dakota State head coach Scott Nagy and Green Bay head coach Brian Wardle have been interviewed by Bradley director of athletics Chris Reynolds and that Michigan State assistant coach Dane Fife was expected to be interviewed, multiple sources have confirmed.

Jim Crutchfield, the 11-year head coach of high-scoring Division II national power West Liberty (W.Va.), also has been mentioned by multiple sources as an interview target of Reynolds, who is conducting the meetings in Chicago.
A decision on Bradley’s 14th head coach could come by Monday.

Other candidates also could be on the interview list, but their names have not been confirmed.

Crutchfield is the new name among the group and a surprising one. The 59-year-old West Virginia native has compiled a 300-53 record (.850) at West Liberty, averaging over 100 points per game throughout his 11-year run.

The Hilltoppers were the division’s top-ranked team at season’s end two of the last four years. This year’s squad finished 28-4 and ranked No. 5 after falling in the Division II regional final. They averaged 100.5 points per game and shot 52 percent from the field.

West Liberty’s offense defies college basketball’s downward trend in scoring not by playing a frenetic pace, but by “calculating risk versus reward,” Crutchfield told Grantland.com.

“I don’t think teams seriously look to score in transition enough,” Crutchfield told the website. “You get 20 seconds of ‘We’re kind of looking to score, we’re passing the ball, but really not doing anything.’ And then, ‘OK, here we go, 12 seconds on the shot clock, here comes the high ball screen.’ That’s when I change the channel and look for a different game.’”

Wardle's name also has been connected with the Northern Kentucky job.

Fife’s connection with Reynolds came at Indiana, where Fife played for the Hoosiers while Reynolds was an assistant athletic director.

Nagy and Northwestern AD Jim Phillips were at Illinois together in the early 1990s when Nagy was a graduate assistant and Phillips was a student assistant in the athletic department. Phillips was Reynolds’ boss at Northwestern.

Dave Reynolds can be reached at 686-3210 or at dreynolds@pjstar.com. Follow him on Twitter at davereynolds2.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #66 on: March 27, 2015, 08:30:34 PM »
He got the job, good for him.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #67 on: March 27, 2015, 08:43:20 PM »
Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein  32s32 seconds ago
Bradley has hired Green Bay's Brian Wardle as its next head coach, sources told @CBSSports. Story: http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/25126001/bradley-hires-green-bay-coach-wardle

Bradley hires Green Bay coach Brian Wardle
By Jon Rothstein | CBS Sports
March 27, 2015 9:35 pm ET

Bradley has hired Green Bay's Brian Wardle as its next basketball coach, sources told CBSSports.com on Friday night.

An official announcement is expected on Saturday.

Wardle went 95-64 in five years at Green Bay. He replaces Geno Ford, who was fired on March 23.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

chapman

• All American
« Reply #68 on: March 27, 2015, 08:44:03 PM »
Congrats to Wardle.  Good chance Barone is promoted at GB; would be nice to get another MU alum with a head D1 gig.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #69 on: March 27, 2015, 08:47:26 PM »
Crean to UWGB, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #70 on: March 27, 2015, 09:15:19 PM »
Congrats, Brian. First round at Jimmy's is on me.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #71 on: March 27, 2015, 09:27:03 PM »
When I said it was a lateral move, UWGB is pretty much the same level of program in a national view.
And while GB was doing better, Bradley was spiraling downward.

The money is definitely great for Wardle, but Bradley is a better school to move on to better positions than GB is.

Molinari, Versace, Les, Anderson and Vanatta all landed at bigger profile schools after Bradley.
Not a lot of "springboarding" that took place, but then again Bradley's had 13 head coaches in their history.

I hope Wardle is able to successfully recruit the type of players throughout the great state of IL to make his program a success and avoid the pitfalls that fell Geno Ford.
SS Marquette

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #72 on: March 27, 2015, 10:09:35 PM »
Congrats to one of my favorite Warriors
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #73 on: March 28, 2015, 06:26:31 AM »
Congratulations Brian.  Great move.  Frankly I'd love to see a MU/Bradley series.  Could we get a 3 for 1?

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #74 on: March 28, 2015, 12:26:17 PM »
Congratulations Brian.  Great move.  Frankly I'd love to see a MU/Bradley series.  Could we get a 3 for 1?

I would be all over this. Braves vs. Warriors.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.