[Today at 05:53:49 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NBA Draft Discussion  (Read 12139 times)

wadesworld

• All American
NBA Draft Discussion
« on: March 23, 2015, 12:11:16 PM »
Now that we've seen all the teams in the NCAA play I figured I'd start a thread about the NBA Draft.  Who should stay in college and who should go?  Who's rising and who's falling?  Who do you like and who do you not like?  Who do you want your favorite team to take and who do you want them to avoid?

I'll start it out by saying the Bucks 2 most obvious needs are shooters and rim protectors.  I would love to see Myles Turner fall to the Bucks.  He has a high ceiling, but is not polished at all so unfortunately it'd take a few years.  He's the only center I see being available where the Bucks will be picking.  If he's not around I wouldn't be opposed to Justin Anderson.  Good shooter that can spread the floor, good size and can defend.  2nd round a guy like Dakari Johnson or Chris Obekpa if they leave would be nice.  I would almost be more surprised if the Bucks don't draft Frank Kaminsky, since they'll be picking right around where he'll be selected and it'd be the quintessential Bucks draft pick.  If they did this they would lose all the good graces they have built up over the past year for me.

RJ Hunter is obviously a riser and played his way into a big payday with his NCAA Tournament performance.  Looney slipping a bit but still a lottery pick.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 12:27:13 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Celtic Truth

• Starter
  • THE TRUTH
Re: NBA Draft Discussion
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 02:04:54 PM »
I think that D'Angelo Russell from Ohio st should definitely be the #1 pick. He has a great skill set that translates so well to the NBA game. He plays up tempo and he can score, shoot, pass, and handle. He also is extremely confident and he has the swagger of an all-star. I do think that Okafor is the best college player but his game doesn't translate to the NBA as well. I see Russell's ceiling as a combination between James Harden and Russell Westbrook. I think Russell will be the Rookie of the year, and a 20+ ppg scorer down the road.

Unfortunately I don't think the Celtics can get him but I think we need a good wing scorer. I don't love a lot of the wing players in the draft but there could be some sleepers. RJ hunter can score and his stock is rising. I like Olivier Hanlan from BC in the 2nd round. I also think Ladonte Henton could be a real sleeper who has proven he can score the ball.

Any wing players you guys are high on at all?

Celtic Truth

• Starter
  • THE TRUTH
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 02:07:30 PM »
I also like Delon Wright from Utah and Jerian Grant from ND

MUeng

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 02:12:42 PM »
Joseph Young from Oregon could be the next steph curry
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 02:16:31 PM by MUeng »

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 02:14:28 PM »
I like Justin Anderson. I know he isn't projected super high, but I like his game and I think he will be a solid pro.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2015, 02:18:15 PM »
Gotta love a baller named Scooscie, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2015, 02:23:13 PM »
Joseph Young from Oregon could be the next steph curry

Definitely disagreed.  More of a poor man's Monte Ellis than Steph Curry.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2015, 02:28:28 PM »
RJ Hunter will probably strike while the Iron is hot and jump into the draft.

I would like to see him put on some more strength, create more off the dribble and become a better defender. But he has a jumpshot thats worth the price of admission, which can be a double edged sword because even when their not falling he will let them fly.

But he's a solid late first round pick.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2015, 02:56:04 PM »
RJ Hunter will probably strike while the Iron is hot and jump into the draft.

I would like to see him put on some more strength, create more off the dribble and become a better defender. But he has a jumpshot thats worth the price of admission, which can be a double edged sword because even when their not falling he will let them fly.

But he's a solid late first round pick.

Might as well continue to grow and develop when getting paid really well for it as opposed to risking not making the tourney next year and toiling in mid-major obscurity.

brandx

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2015, 03:02:49 PM »
I think that D'Angelo Russell from Ohio st should definitely be the #1 pick. He has a great skill set that translates so well to the NBA game. He plays up tempo and he can score, shoot, pass, and handle. He also is extremely confident and he has the swagger of an all-star. I do think that Okafor is the best college player but his game doesn't translate to the NBA as well. I see Russell's ceiling as a combination between James Harden and Russell Westbrook. I think Russell will be the Rookie of the year, and a 20+ ppg scorer down the road.

I think Russell, Justice Winslow, and Mudiay end up being the three best players long term. But the 2 big guys will go 1 and 2.

I think Winslow will be the superstar of the group.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2015, 03:23:46 PM »

Unfortunately I don't think the Celtics can get him but I think we need a good wing scorer. I don't love a lot of the wing players in the draft but there could be some sleepers. RJ hunter can score and his stock is rising. I like Olivier Hanlan from BC in the 2nd round. I also think Ladonte Henton could be a real sleeper who has proven he can score the ball.

I think Karl Anthony Towns from Kentucky will be #1 pick and some mocks already have him jumping Okafor at #1.

Russell, Mudiay and yes, Justice Winslow are complete studs and will be solid NBA players.  Young from Oregon is a gunner, don't know how he will work out, but Hunter at 6ft 6 might stay and play for his Dad.  Jerian Grant might be another SG who worked his way up to a lottery pick and be a solid choice.  Just can't speculate because draft based on teams needs at selection time.

I have seen Maryland play many times, to include in person.  Melo Trimble is the best point guard I have seen play this year.  He is just really, really good in all phases of the games and even the game analysts have mentioned the same.  Maryland has some studs returning and a great recruiting class ( Stone still in play), so we shall see if he stays.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2015, 11:00:03 AM »
Here's the nbadraft.net mock draft.
http://www.nbadraft.net/2015mock_draft

It would be great if the Bucks could get Willie Cauley-Stein, but I doubt he drops that far.  Myles Turner might not even make it that far.

brandx

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2015, 12:30:43 PM »
Here's the nbadraft.net mock draft.
http://www.nbadraft.net/2015mock_draft

It would be great if the Bucks could get Willie Cauley-Stein, but I doubt he drops that far.  Myles Turner might not even make it that far.

Can't see Stanley Johnson going that high. Everytime I've seen him against good teams/players, he has been overmatched. Will be good down the line, but right now, I'd take Rondae Hollis Jefferson before him.

Stein goes in top 7 I think. Defensive players like that can be game changers.

Kelly Oubre should stay in school. He's not even close to being ready for the NBA

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2015, 09:52:18 PM »
I think Vander goes in the first round

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2015, 06:29:27 AM »
I think Vander goes in the first round

Good talk.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2015, 08:22:08 AM »
What are the odds of DJ Newbill getting drafted? I have a bet against it.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2015, 08:52:25 AM »
What are the odds of DJ Newbill getting drafted? I have a bet against it.

Not a ton of seniors are taken in the NBA Draft.  You have to be really productive for 4 years and have good measurables.  Newbill has been really productive for 4 years, but his shooting percentages aren't great.  His measurables are fine but don't stick out.  I doubt he gets drafted.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2015, 09:52:36 PM »
Not a ton of seniors are taken in the NBA Draft.  You have to be really productive for 4 years and have good measurables.  Newbill has been really productive for 4 years, but his shooting percentages aren't great.  His measurables are fine but don't stick out.  I doubt he gets drafted.

If there is a team that would take him on a flyer, it'd be a vet laden team in the last couple of picks in the second round.

Otherwise, he'll get camp calls and get signed only to be stashed into the NBADL.
UNLESS big bucks come ringing from Europe
SS Marquette

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2015, 10:11:29 PM »
STANLEY JOHNSON is this draft class's DWYANE WADE.
SS Marquette

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2015, 10:17:21 PM »
STANLEY JOHNSON is this draft class's DWYANE WADE.

I like him and have for a while, but he's no Dwyane Wade.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2015, 01:08:12 PM »
It will be interesting to see if Nigel Hayes declares. His one-year development has been incredible. I remember seeing him last year and thinking we would have our hands full with him and Koenig for four years, now I'm thinking he might be gone. 12.5 ppg/6.4 rpg, went from zero threat from deep to a legitimate three-point shooter, and has been just as efficient offensively and a better rebounder than Dekker.

Of all the guys there, I think he has the most upside. He's already 20, so waiting might not serve him well. Might not be a first-round pick, but could sneak in late or be one of those under the radar early second round guys. Hearing more and more lately that he might test the waters.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2015, 01:34:18 PM »
Hayes won't declare, especially after Thursday's game.  He was exposed.  He's really good and I'm of the belief that of all the Badgers he will have the best NBA career, but he isn't ready.  His jumper has come a long way, but still has a long way to go.  He's not going to beat teams off the dribble in the NBA and he's too small to be a true post player in the NBA, so that jumper needs to develop.

I hope I'm wrong though.  It'd be nice to see him go, too.

brandx

« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2015, 03:22:32 PM »
I like him and have for a while, but he's no Dwyane Wade.

He's not even this class' Justise Winslow. Not to mention, I'd take Hollis-Jefferson any day before Stanley.

brandx

« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2015, 03:23:34 PM »
Hayes won't declare, especially after Thursday's game.  He was exposed.  He's really good and I'm of the belief that of all the Badgers he will have the best NBA career, but he isn't ready.  His jumper has come a long way, but still has a long way to go.  He's not going to beat teams off the dribble in the NBA and he's too small to be a true post player in the NBA, so that jumper needs to develop.

I hope I'm wrong though.  It'd be nice to see him go, too.

I'm with you here. Nigel needs a little more development. Just wish he was doing it at MU

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2015, 03:25:12 PM »
He's not even this class' Justise Winslow. Not to mention, I'd take Hollis-Jefferson any day before Stanley.

Disagree with taking Hollis-Jefferson over him.  I think Johnson is a better player and is bigger.  Winslow will be better if he can knock down perimeter jumpers (and free throws) with consistency at the next level.  Definitely a huge up side.

feedback