[Today at 04:39:02 PM]

NIL Future by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:56:29 PM]

Shaka's 2023-2024 Season Accomplishments by LloydsLegs
[Today at 02:48:52 PM]

MU Gear by MUfan12
[Today at 01:31:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Tanned Tommy on the ropes?  (Read 92278 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Tanned Tommy on the ropes?
« Reply #225 on: March 23, 2015, 11:00:25 PM »
This is the first time I've heard TC called: "Much-maligned Indiana coach Tom Crean"

That article says Crean has a relationship with Saban....I could have sworn someone quoted another person here about few coaching friends.  Yet, the keep coming up.  Izzo, LaRussa, Sherman, McCarthy, Saban, etc.  Who am I to question someone that knows so little.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #226 on: March 24, 2015, 11:32:54 AM »
They go hand in hand.  The Final Four led to massive donation avalanche to get the Al built.  It also meant us being accepted into the Big East...direct words from commissioner Mike Tranghese of the Big East.   

The university gave a commitment and then we had to go out and do it.  Which we did.

So, how did DePaul get in?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #227 on: March 24, 2015, 11:37:18 AM »
That article says Crean has a relationship with Saban....I could have sworn someone quoted another person here about few coaching friends.  Yet, the keep coming up.  Izzo, LaRussa, Sherman, McCarthy, Saban, etc.  Who am I to question someone that knows so little.
I guess this list of football/baseball coaches and hisformer boss makes him Miss Congeniality.

I don't understand why a person like yourself would claim a person is a jerk in one post and then turn around and provide a list of his so-called "friends."

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #228 on: March 24, 2015, 12:16:38 PM »
So, how did DePaul get in?

Chicago.

Tranghese knew the Big 10 plan to expand eastward and gobble up his home territory. DePaul was a natural selection based on pre-existing relationships with the other C-USA schools and the hope was for them to become competitive enough to recharge the market.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #229 on: March 24, 2015, 04:28:09 PM »
I really can't believe that Marshall is still at Wichita St.  No offense to their program, they seem to be heavily invested fan and school wise in men's basketball, but they're in a mid major league, and probably can't come close to matching what a power conference school can throw at him money wise.  He's won huge there, and before that was very successful at Winthrop.   He'd be at the top of my list if I were an AD.

Doesn't pass the sniff test for many
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #230 on: March 25, 2015, 12:23:57 PM »

Quick glance at your "list" of all TC's buddies in the fraternity of college basketball coaches. I see one (1), Tom Izzo, a guy he worked for. So maybe a few was an exaggeration on my part. As to your "Who am I" query, you're not very complex. Most here have figured out exactly who you are.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #231 on: March 25, 2015, 05:03:42 PM »
Quick glance at your "list" of all TC's buddies in the fraternity of college basketball coaches. I see one (1), Tom Izzo, a guy he worked for. So maybe a few was an exaggeration on my part. As to your "Who am I" query, you're not very complex. Most here have figured out exactly who you are.

Quoting Lenny for ChicosBailBonds' reading pleasure.    ;D ;D

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #232 on: March 25, 2015, 05:17:49 PM »
Quoting Lenny for ChicosBailBonds' reading pleasure.    ;D ;D

Thanks.  Best move I ever made to put him on ignore.

I don't know who his friends are, I know Lenny absolutely doesn't know.  His comment was about coaching friends, and he has plenty.  Another is Don Mattingly that was mentioned today.  As for college basketball coaching friends, have no idea.  Absolutely none, neither does Lenny.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #233 on: March 25, 2015, 05:18:31 PM »
Only question is does Tommy get the axe tomorrow, Sunday or Monday?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #234 on: March 27, 2015, 10:16:03 PM »
Fred Glass doing what he said he would do.  Things could change, but this continues to be what I've heard each of the last 3 years from fantastic sources.  It's why I chuckle every year when I read the experts on this board about him.  Now, I still think he leaves on his own before being sacked.  Doesn't look like it will be this year, certainly doesn't look like it will be IU making the decision.  I guess we'll see, Glass could always change course but he is pretty public there is no change.

You can agree or disagree with his opinion.  From what I've heard it comes down to a few things.  Repaying him for the crapstorm he had to inherit.  Knowing that a number of great coaches want nothing to do with the unhinged IU base.  Contract.  First semblance of any success of any kind for the program since 2002.  Not necessarily in that order.

This from today.

"Coach Crean has five years on his contract. I don't expect him to go anywhere, and I don't want him to go anywhere," Glass said in a statement sent to the Indianapolis Star.

Indiana went 20-14 this year, Crean's seventh at IU.

The program with the seventh-most NCAA Tournament appearances (38) and wins (64) in college basketball history - as well as five national titles - has been as far as the Sweet Sixteen only three times since 1994 (2002, 2012 and 2013).

Glass said in his statement that "from a team perspective, there were certainly some positives this year, from a program perspective; we are not where we want to be."

Glass added: "My goals for this program are to perennially contend for and to win multiple Big Ten championships, regularly go deep in the NCAA Tournament and win our next national championship. Be elite, if you will.

"As a lifelong Hoosier and IU basketball fan, alumnus and current AD, nobody wants that more than me.

"Coach Crean's status should be based on his ability to achieve those goals goal forward, not what he has or hasn't done in the past.

"Because I believe in the team he has assembled and is assembling, his leadership of it and their ability to start achieving our program goals, I continue to support Tom Crean as our coach."

Crean took over after the NCAA sanctions of Kelvin Sampson and led IU to Sweet Sixteen appearances in 2012 and 2013 as well an outright Big Ten regular-season title in 2013.

If Crean were fired, he would be owed a buyout in the neighborhood of $11 million-12 million, paid out over the life of the contract that runs through the 2020-21 season, minus income earned in those years.

Glass' statement came the same day IU announced the seventh men's basketball transfer in the past two seasons.

"Tom Crean is the coach here because I believe the future is bright and he can lead us to our goals, not because of the buyout in that contract," Glass said.

MUsoxfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #235 on: March 27, 2015, 10:26:18 PM »
Lots of eggs in one shoddy basket. I like it

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #236 on: March 27, 2015, 10:29:03 PM »
I guess this list of football/baseball coaches and hisformer boss makes him Miss Congeniality.

I don't understand why a person like yourself would claim a person is a jerk in one post and then turn around and provide a list of his so-called "friends."

Because I'm trying to be objective and truthful, and not a bitter, hateful, ex-girlfriend.  Pretty simple, really.  I've had douches as bosses and I would say that if someone asked.  If they also asked if he\she was a drug user, had no friends, cheated on their spouses, were ineffective, or whatever and it wasn't true....I'd correct them.   It's the right thing to do.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #237 on: March 27, 2015, 10:29:51 PM »
Lots of eggs in one shoddy basket. I like it

Could be.....but watching the experts here for 7 straight years has been enjoyable.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #238 on: March 27, 2015, 10:31:16 PM »
Could be.....but watching the experts here for 7 straight years has been enjoyable.

It's been enjoyable watching Crean make 3 Tourneys in 7 years too.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MUsoxfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #239 on: March 27, 2015, 10:37:42 PM »

I mean, I think we can all agree he's hit his peak with IU and is on the decline. He's got the same rap in Bloomington as he had in MKE.  He works hard but is very limited in ability

I don't think IU is willing to admit defeat to that buyout. Either that, or they've come to the realization they're no longer in the top tier programs and this is the best they can do

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #240 on: March 27, 2015, 10:41:29 PM »
It's been enjoyable watching Crean make 3 Tourneys in 7 years too.

That is true, of course it is equally true that he has made 3 tourneys in 4 years.  Some people like to spin data, but yes you are correct.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #241 on: March 27, 2015, 10:42:34 PM »
I mean, I think we can all agree he's hit his peak with IU and is on the decline. He's got the same rap in Bloomington as he had in MKE.  He works hard but is very limited in ability

I don't think IU is willing to admit defeat to that buyout. Either that, or they've come to the realization they're no longer in the top tier programs and this is the best they can do

Actually, I don't think we can all agree on that.  If they get Bryant, which I think they will and Williams and Yogi stay, they will be a top 15 team this upcoming season and in the top 3 of the Big Ten.  I thought IU would make the tournament this year and the experts didn't.  Who knows.  We'll see.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #242 on: March 27, 2015, 10:44:08 PM »
That is true, of course it is equally true that he has made 3 tourneys in 4 years.  Some people like to spin data, but yes you are correct.

Overall, Crean has been a disappointment at IU and there's no way around it.  Why you can't just stay out of threads ripping him is bizarre.  

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #243 on: March 27, 2015, 10:46:14 PM »
Overall, Crean has been a disappointment at IU and there's no way around it.  Why you can't just stay out of threads ripping him is bizarre.  

Why is it bizarre?  I've ripped on him plenty....that doesn't count?  Or do you object to correcting people for making fallacious comments? 

I guess the IU brass doesn't agree with you.  The IU unhinged on message boards, well if the guy isn't Bob Knight they don't really care so to them anything is a disappointment.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #244 on: March 27, 2015, 10:46:33 PM »

Spin data? Why only look at only 4 of his 7 year tenure?

Yes, some people do like to spin data apparently.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #245 on: March 27, 2015, 10:49:02 PM »
Spin data? Why only look at only 4 of his 7 year tenure?

Yes, some people do like to spin data apparently.

Seems pretty simple to me.

If someone made the NCAAs 3 times in the last four years and someone else decided to include three years earlier when he inherited an absolute mess, one would wonder if that person was stating something with a bias and not recognizing the totality of the information.

This coach made the NCAAs 3 of the last 4 years.....also 3 of the last 7....Tony Bennett is his name.  Now, if you were to say Tony Bennett has only made the NCAA tournament 3 of the last 7 years you would also be correct, but people would correct you (even though technically you didn't need correcting) for taking a biased slate to things.

Seems pretty simple to me.

MUsoxfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #246 on: March 27, 2015, 10:58:52 PM »
I'm not being snarky at all here, but if IU is who they think they are, Crean's record means he should be fired. They believe themselves to be in the discussion with the true blue bloods of college basketball. I can't think of another "blue blood" that would accept these results. No tourney appearance in his 7th year, or 5th good year

What he inherited is no longer an excuse

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #247 on: March 27, 2015, 11:01:32 PM »
Why is it bizarre?  I've ripped on him plenty....that doesn't count?  Or do you object to correcting people for making fallacious comments? 

I guess the IU brass doesn't agree with you.  The IU unhinged on message boards, well if the guy isn't Bob Knight they don't really care so to them anything is a disappointment.

The fact that IU is not firing him does not mean that he hasn't been a disappointment overall.  He has.  I respect what Crean did for our program and he has done some good things at IU based on what he walked into.  I have no doubt however he had much higher expectations of consistent success when he left here for IU.  He hasn't achieved them.  And he was a douche about how he left.  

I have seen you rip on him and that's fine.  But honestly, who give a sh*t if people on a message board make inaccurate comments (from your perspective)?  Your appearance in a thread about Crean is as predictable as Ners' appearance in any thread that he could possibly connect to Derrick.  After all this time, why bother?  You're not his PR rep.  That's what I find bizarre.  

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #248 on: March 27, 2015, 11:04:16 PM »
I'm not being snarky at all here, but if IU is who they think they are, Crean's record means he should be fired. They believe themselves to be in the discussion with the true blue bloods of college basketball. I can't think of another "blue blood" that would accept these results. No tourney appearance in his 7th year, or 5th good year

What he inherited is no longer an excuse

The IU administration knows who they are at the present time, the faithfully unhinged think they are something they are not.  This is an athletic department that was deeply in debt, had all kinds of issues and has been trying to climb out...which it now has.  The football program still sucks, and in today's world that is a problematic.

Let's not replace blue blood with elite, those are two different things.    You're actually wrong with your data...he did get a tourney appearance in his 7th year.  I also can't remember a blue blood that had to do a total rebuild like they did in the last 30 years.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #249 on: March 27, 2015, 11:07:10 PM »
The fact that IU is not firing him does not mean that he hasn't been a disappointment overall.  He has.  I respect what Crean did for our program and he has done some good things at IU based on what he walked into.  I have no doubt however he had much higher expectations of consistent success when he left here for IU.  He hasn't achieved them.  And he was a douche about how he left.  

I have seen you rip on him and that's fine.  But honestly, who give a sh*t if people on a message board make inaccurate comments (from your perspective)?  Your appearance in a thread about Crean is as predictable as Ners' appearance in any thread that he could possibly connect to Derrick.  After all this time, why bother?  You're not his PR rep.  That's what I find bizarre.  

I give a sh*t....I'd say the same thing if people here said Buzz beats his wife, or John Calipari molests little boys.  You can do it all you want, but don't be surprised if someone says that isn't true.

No doubt many people think he is a disappointment.  I would put myself in that category, but I also am not surprised one iota about him not being fired from everything I have heard from people there, people in high positions in the sports world, and from various AD's I've spoken to...including Glass.  Not surprised one bit.  Doesn't mean he doesn't leave on his own or things could change, but it certainly doesn't look like it right now.  Much bigger things that were going on and bigger picture items that too many people just don't know about it.