[Today at 09:34:43 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by TSmith34, Inc.
[Today at 09:22:20 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[Today at 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[Today at 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Tanned Tommy on the ropes?  (Read 92279 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: Tanned Tommy on the ropes?
« Reply #200 on: March 22, 2015, 06:10:03 PM »
T-Cubed had his posse float his name out there for every gig that opened up from CYO head coach to Cub Scout leader.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #201 on: March 22, 2015, 06:16:38 PM »
Do you remember any of the schools, Chicos?  I'm just curious.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #202 on: March 22, 2015, 06:42:57 PM »
Rubie Q ‏@Rubie_Q  5m5 minutes ago
Maybe Tom Crean and Gregg Marshall can do a reality series called JOB SWAP.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #203 on: March 22, 2015, 06:50:03 PM »

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #204 on: March 22, 2015, 07:02:26 PM »
I heard he interviewed at Ohio State from two different people.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #205 on: March 22, 2015, 07:15:57 PM »
Never interviewed at Illinois
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #206 on: March 22, 2015, 07:17:29 PM »
Most of it done by intermediaries so that schools can say "we didn't interview" or no official contact was made.  How the game is played.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #207 on: March 22, 2015, 07:20:57 PM »
Most of it done by intermediaries so that schools can say "we didn't interview" or no official contact was made.  How the game is played.

Pfffft.. they can say or 'describe' things as they wish, I'm really a badger fanl?

Schools twist and/or lie quite often. Don't need to go to a middle man just to avoid 'we didn't interview' being 'untrue.'
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #208 on: March 22, 2015, 07:22:15 PM »

Yep, a lot of back-channeling goes on with coach searches (as well as player transfers ).

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #209 on: March 22, 2015, 07:55:05 PM »
Oh God. Illinois rejected him because their AD couldn't stand him. I know this for a fact.

And, I forget, how did the media find out about Arkansas? Oh yeah, Crean told them in order to get a raise.

This stuff is older than Chico's mistress.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #210 on: March 22, 2015, 07:58:47 PM »
I was also told by a former Bucks assistant GM that Crean never interviewed with U of Illinois.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MU82

• All American
Re: Greg Doyel weighs in...
« Reply #211 on: March 22, 2015, 10:04:03 PM »
nm
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #212 on: March 22, 2015, 10:11:43 PM »
Rubie Q ‏@Rubie_Q  5m5 minutes ago
Maybe Tom Crean and Gregg Marshall can do a reality series called JOB SWAP.

I really can't believe that Marshall is still at Wichita St.  No offense to their program, they seem to be heavily invested fan and school wise in men's basketball, but they're in a mid major league, and probably can't come close to matching what a power conference school can throw at him money wise.  He's won huge there, and before that was very successful at Winthrop.   He'd be at the top of my list if I were an AD.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 10:30:42 PM by HutchwasClutch »

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #213 on: March 22, 2015, 10:24:41 PM »
Crean left 7 years ago this month.  The passion to just despise the guy, hope his career goes in the toilet, revise history of his coaching accomplishments at two high major schools, etc, that flame burns that bad for some still?  Holy sh*t, get over it already.  And I say this freely admitting I don't disagree a bit he's done many things to make it easy to dislike him, but put it in perspective in the grand scheme of life for crying out loud.

There are people who are still angry Phil Jackson left the Bulls for the Lakers. It's sports. Passion is irrational at times.

But I hear you.

We need to focus our schadenfreude to Buzzy Buzz Buzz.
SS Marquette

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #214 on: March 22, 2015, 10:32:28 PM »
I really can't believe that Marshall is still at Wichita St.  No offense to their program, they seem to be heavily invested fan and school wise in men's basketball, but their in a mid major league, and probably can't come close to matching what a power conference school can throw at him money wise.  He's won huge there, and before that was very successful at Winthrop.   He'd be at the top of my list if I were an AD.

He makes good coin there.  He has had multiple opportunities to leave and has said no.  Doesn't want the stress, likes his deal.  Making $1.8million per year in Kansas not to deal with the crazy fans that will chew up someone and spit them out.  UCLA tried, he said no.  Missouri tried, he said no...and they may try again  ;) .  Yes, someone could roll out the truck, but he's going to have to weigh if it is worth the crap that comes with.  An awful lot of coaches now make some great coin and have no reason to sign for the BS that goes with some of these jobs.

McDermott of Creighton gave him some wise advice when he went to Iowa State and didn't do well, that has stuck with Marshall.  Smart didn't go.  Stevens didn't go to another college gig.  Amaker hasn't gone.  If the money is really good, why deal with the crap by taking on the headaches?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #215 on: March 22, 2015, 10:42:32 PM »
I really can't believe that Marshall is still at Wichita St.  No offense to their program, they seem to be heavily invested fan and school wise in men's basketball, but they're in a mid major league, and probably can't come close to matching what a power conference school can throw at him money wise.  He's won huge there, and before that was very successful at Winthrop.   He'd be at the top of my list if I were an AD.

Some coaches actually like where they are and want to stay there. They make good money, like the support they get from administration and alumni, and don't want the pressure that comes with being at a "name" school.

I don't know if that's exactly what Marshall's deal is, but I wouldn't blame him if it were. He's living the good life of a local celeb, and though he faces pressure (as all coaches do), it's not the same insane kind of pressure.

Who was it who said something about not messing with happy? Oh wait ... never mind ... but you get what I'm saying.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

JTBMU7

• All American
« Reply #216 on: March 22, 2015, 10:51:27 PM »
He makes good coin there.  He has had multiple opportunities to leave and has said no.  Doesn't want the stress, likes his deal.  Making $1.8million per year in Kansas not to deal with the crazy fans that will chew up someone and spit them out.  UCLA tried, he said no.  Missouri tried, he said no...and they may try again  ;) .  Yes, someone could roll out the truck, but he's going to have to weigh if it is worth the crap that comes with.  An awful lot of coaches now make some great coin and have no reason to sign for the BS that goes with some of these jobs.

McDermott of Creighton gave him some wise advice when he went to Iowa State and didn't do well, that has stuck with Marshall.  Smart didn't go.  Stevens didn't go to another college gig.  Amaker hasn't gone.  If the money is really good, why deal with the crap by taking on the headaches?
Don't mess with happy...

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #217 on: March 22, 2015, 10:55:13 PM »
Some coaches actually like where they are and want to stay there. They make good money, like the support they get from administration and alumni, and don't want the pressure that comes with being at a "name" school.

I don't know if that's exactly what Marshall's deal is, but I wouldn't blame him if it were. He's living the good life of a local celeb, and though he faces pressure (as all coaches do), it's not the same insane kind of pressure.

Who was it who said something about not messing with happy? Oh wait ... never mind ... but you get what I'm saying.

Yeah, I get what you, Chicos, and JTB are all saying - that's certainly how I would view it as well.  It's just really not the norm anymore in big time college basketball, or anywhere in sports.  These guys have such massive egos, they want and chase the power, money, glory that goes with the high pressure jobs.

But if that's who Marshall is, I say great for him.  It's certainly a nice change from the norm.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #218 on: March 22, 2015, 10:59:28 PM »
Why would any NBA team hire a coach with X's and O's deficiencies, particularly one with the perception of a slickster, used car salesman persona? You don't have to recruit 17 year olds and their parents in the Association.

If I'm an NBA GM, I don't want him anywhere near my bench. If I'm an AD at a smaller school, I'd give him a call.

Great question.

Why did KO - a man who ruffled feathers everywhere he went - ever get the chance to become an NBA HC? Because of his defensive mind?

The world is full of unusual circumstances.
SS Marquette

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #219 on: March 23, 2015, 08:15:04 PM »
Pat Forde and Seth Davis refute Too Tanned Tommy To The Tide (T6) rumors

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/03/reports_tom_crean_not_leaving.html

Death on call

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #220 on: March 23, 2015, 08:32:07 PM »
Great question.

Why did KO - a man who ruffled feathers everywhere he went - ever get the chance to become an NBA HC? Because of his defensive mind?

The world is full of unusual circumstances.

Correction:
Kev coached the Raptors around 2003-2004
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #221 on: March 23, 2015, 08:39:59 PM »
Arkansas   http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2824653

Illinois  http://a.espncdn.com/ncb/columns/katz_andy/1543052.html

Etc, etc

It came out in a FOIA request that Crean inquired about the Iowa job.

We Are Marquette

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #222 on: March 23, 2015, 10:10:21 PM »
Yeah, I get what you, Chicos, and JTB are all saying - that's certainly how I would view it as well.  It's just really not the norm anymore in big time college basketball, or anywhere in sports.  These guys have such massive egos, they want and chase the power, money, glory that goes with the high pressure jobs.

But if that's who Marshall is, I say great for him.  It's certainly a nice change from the norm.

I would argue the opposite.  In my view in years past you had to take the gig, but more and more coaches don't do that anymore or delay it.  The money is good at so many other places that the stress and nonsense that goes with it isn't worth the extra $500K a year if it means being fired 10 years earlier.   UCLA has to go deep in the arsenal to get a replacement, IU had to go deep for a replacement, Kruger left but I honestly don't think he went to a high stress job...OU is a football school.  So on and so forth.  Examples on the other side as well, but when you see the Stevens, Marshalls, Smarts, etc stay where they are at, it gives comfort to others questioning if the other side is as green as people make it out to be.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #223 on: March 23, 2015, 10:27:50 PM »
I would argue the opposite.  In my view in years past you had to take the gig, but more and more coaches don't do that anymore or delay it.  The money is good at so many other places that the stress and nonsense that goes with it isn't worth the extra $500K a year if it means being fired 10 years earlier.   UCLA has to go deep in the arsenal to get a replacement, IU had to go deep for a replacement, Kruger left but I honestly don't think he went to a high stress job...OU is a football school.  So on and so forth.  Examples on the other side as well, but when you see the Stevens, Marshalls, Smarts, etc stay where they are at, it gives comfort to others questioning if the other side is as green as people make it out to be.

Couldn't agree more. That difference in salary gets made up if your tenure is a tad longer.

If TC wanted he could have stayed at MU forever. Never faced a fraction of the vitriol he gets at IU. And looking at what Buzz did, who says it couldn't have been better on the court for TC at MU?

We shall see how the next year or two goes, but when I heard about the Crean kid getting taunted at a HS game I couldn't imagine that happening at MUHS.
We Are Marquette

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #224 on: March 23, 2015, 10:34:38 PM »
Pat Forde and Seth Davis refute Too Tanned Tommy To The Tide (T6) rumors

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/03/reports_tom_crean_not_leaving.html

This is the first time I've heard TC called: "Much-maligned Indiana coach Tom Crean"
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein