[Today at 06:55:33 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Nukem2
[Today at 04:02:06 PM]

Best case scenarios by Frenns Liquor Depot
[Today at 03:55:21 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[Today at 11:02:10 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Fraternities  (Read 10100 times)

lurch91

• All American
Re: Fraternities
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2015, 10:15:34 AM »
Was in a fraternity at Marquette, was even the IFC representative to ASMU (I think that's the right abbreviation for the MU student council).  I always thought it was so odd that the Greek circuit was so important during the campaigning - all the candidates made it a point to campaign each fraternity and sorority because we were generally the most organized segment of the student population.

And the change in the drinking age from 18 to 21 lead directly to the explosion of the Greek system at Marquette in the late 80's and early 90's.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2015, 10:39:17 AM »

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2015, 11:09:40 AM »
The most entitled people at MU are not in fraternities. I can tell you that for sure. I present to you, the lacrosse team, Crew, ski club, etc. I have no money, my parents are public school teachers. So please tell  me how everybody in fraternities have entitled attitudes.

Look, I already know how pointless this is going to be. There is nothing I can say that is going to change your view and coming into Marquette I was the same way. But throughout my MU experience, the biggest dicks I know arent greek affiliated.

A bit ironic defending fraternities by using a broad brush and anecdotal experience to put down other clubs.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2015, 03:19:50 PM »
it's a marquette rule.

And it's a Marquette rule because they basically copied your insurer's handbook.  Every major university (that elects to exercise oversight of the Greek system) does the same thing.  It's a CYA move for the universities.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2015, 10:23:12 AM »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2015, 10:59:29 AM »
Pragmatic response.

I enjoyed Gavin McInnes's article on the subject.
http://takimag.com/article/yall_so_stupid_gavin_mcinnes/print#axzz3V29jQxZ2

That is really a ridiculous article.  Author is throwing bombs all over the place, and his basic premise seems to be "stop being offended so easily."

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2015, 11:01:44 AM »
Here is a different take on the Oklahoma frat story.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/03/20/opinions/randazza-offensive-speech-first-amendment/index.html

That really isn't a "different take."  That has been out there since the story broke.  OU was covering its ass.  Even if they philosophically believed that the premise of this article was correct, they weren't going to be the ones to fight that fight.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2015, 01:50:39 PM »
My perspective on fraternities is this: What do they offer that can't be achieved through a non-fraternity at a university like MU?

1. Philanthropy: There are more charitable efforts, causes, fund raisers, service trips, etc. than any one student could possibly do available either through the university or roughly in connection with the university. Just because a fraternity raises money for charity doesn't set it above any of the programs that also do so.

2. Community: Arranging one's peer group around the shared experience of identifying in a fraternity chapter is hard to replicate. However, it is not difficult to make plenty of friends and have plenty of social community at MU without being in a fraternity. What I guess you can't get without a frat is a network of potentially connected alumni (I hear this is bigger at big state schools, especially SEC schools) who will be useful in a professional setting.

I wasn't in a frat and am leaving out plenty of selling points, but my general take is this: The good things you can get out of a fraternity you can get in other ways on campus. The bad things you might get at a fraternity come up often enough I'm getting a little where there's smoke there's fire vibe.

I agree with this. I don't think all Greek members are bad, but these stories that keep popping up certainly are. And with social media, more of the bad aspects that were previously hush-hush will keep coming to light. Conversely, because of social media, some of the networking benefits are mitigated because everyone had access to LinkedIn et al.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

tower912

• All American
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2015, 10:06:45 AM »
http://news.yahoo.com/can-schools-solve-the-fraternity-problem--135353739.html

We should ban all organized gatherings. You never know what people will do when they get together to do... things.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2015, 01:28:39 PM »
I think people take for granted how fraternities bring people together and give them the feeling of family at a new school. I know when I was at Marquette, there were 5-6 at any given point in my chapter that probably wouldn't have still been at Marquette if they didn't join Greek life. They would sincerely talk at recruiting events on how they had filled out forms for other schools second semester of freshmen year before changing their minds after finding close friends in the fraternity. The same thing that causes a lot of the bad press also contributed to a lot good on campus. During my time, there was definitely an atmosphere of alcohol and partying, but it also built in pressure to do better in school (way higher grade requirements than the average student), pressure for community service, and pressure to get involved in other clubs. I think Marquette has done a decent job in controlling fraternities but still allowing them to do good.

MUsoxfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2015, 11:13:39 PM »
Like-minded people will always gravitate towards each other. What's the difference if they pay dues or not.

Pakuni

• All American

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2015, 05:03:13 PM »
Like-minded people will always gravitate towards each other. What's the difference if they pay dues or not.

Such is one of the main benefits of being in a fraternity... it brings together people of all backgrounds, lifestyles, cultures, etc.  I was involved in a chapter (not an MU fraternity) where the membership was at least twice as diverse as the entire campus, and I'm not talking about a HBF.  20% of the membership was born/raised outside the U.S., every men's varsity sport was represented, some members already had degrees from a 2-year school, several had delayed school for military, religious or service missions, urban and rural areas were equally represented, and majors were across the board.  These guys ran the chapter like a business, but were also the closest group of guys I've ever seen.  Not sure what they paid for dues, but my guess is that the value was right since everyone - evidently - paid on time, despite the fact that many of these guys were working and paying their own way through school.

However, I've also seen fraternities that are the most homogeneous group of guys that one would swear they might have thought them clones had they not known better.  It's unfortunate that the purpose of fraternity has been bastardized over the years by guys who put the focus on "bros" as opposed to "brotherhood."

Fraternities - historically - used to be seen as a "home away from home" where guys could learn to interact socially with people who weren't necessarily cut from the same cloth and form lasting bonds and friendships with people they otherwise would not have had a chance to "gravitate towards".  I had a cousin pass away at a young age, and I counted nearly half the attendees at his memorial service a few years back were fraternity brothers of his... ranging in age from 10-15 years his senior to 20 years his junior.  It was simply mind boggling how many of these guys not only knew him but forwent an entire football Saturday afternoon to attend his service.  Then his chapter was shut down a year later for hazing or drug dealing or something.  So nobody's immune.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.