[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by BrewCity83
[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Official Transfer Thread  (Read 208106 times)

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
Re: Official Transfer Thread
« Reply #525 on: May 17, 2015, 06:34:20 PM »
A DePaul Alum in the New York area, Dan Stack, got an interview with Washington for a website called Today's U.  Here's what he got.

Ex-North Carolina State forward/center Kyle Washington has released a list of 10 schools he is considering transferring to on Wednesday. After two years in Raleigh, Washington wants a fresh start and he talked with TodaysU about his future plans.

Among the schools (in no order) he is considering are: Kansas, West Virginia, Cincinnati, Providence, Butler, Marquette, Iowa, Iowa State, Arizona State and Xavier.

“I like that they (the schools) focused on my strengths and where I need to get better, “ Washington said about what attracted him to these programs. “A lot of these schools have a history of doing well with people in my position. They have a history of doing well with transfers.”

Washington, a native of Champlin, Minnesota (although his family is now in New York) said location is not of the utmost importance, but it could play a factor.

“A little bit,” Washington said when asked about the location of the school being a factor. “As long as I’m comfortable with where I’m at, I’m happy and I’m in a good situation that I like, than everything will be alright.”

Washington, a 6’9”, 230-pound forward/center, has always been an energy guy with the Wolfpack. He possesses boundless enthusiasm and always plays with a high motor. With his playing time getting squeezed at N.C. State, he thinks now is time for a change of scenery.

“I saw myself in a different light than coach (Mark) Gottfried did,” Washington said. “I felt it would be better for me and my family to move on. I’m grateful for my opportunity at N.C. State, and playing in one of the best conferences in the nation.”

Washington is coming off a season in which he averaged 6.8 points, 4.1 rebounds and 1.1 blocks per game on .467 percent shooting from the the field and .718 percent from the free-throw line. He can also step out and hit the occasional three. Washington has nice range, as he connected on .538 percent of his three-point attempts (7-13).

To date, Washington has scored 404 points, pulled down 278 rebounds and blocked 58 shots in his career with the Pack. For whatever school he chooses, he’ll bring a versatile set of skills to his new team, as Washington can score, rebound and block shots. Washington can certainly do a lot of things well for a big man.

He thinks he can add an extra dimension to the next school he chooses.

“My approach to the game (is a strength),” Washington added. “I take basketball, winning and being successful seriously. It’s about the team first and then the individual. I want to be the best (and ) I want my team to be the best. I’m a very positive thinker. I don’t think about any negativity and that’s one of my best attributes.”

Washington wants to be thorough with his decision and will not rush the process. He will have two years of eligibility left at the school he chooses. Washington will have to sit out next season, as per NCAA Division I transfer rules.

“I just want to be sure I’m happy with my decision,” Washington said. “I want a coach that has a vision for me moving forward”
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #526 on: May 17, 2015, 07:13:35 PM »
Would be exactly what we need
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #527 on: May 17, 2015, 08:19:14 PM »
I think Washington is a real possibility and believe the fit is excellent. He's got to get comfortable with the possibility that we have a lot of talented tall guys on the team in 2015-16, but past that.. legggooo!

Do you still think that after the two commits today? 

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #528 on: May 17, 2015, 08:26:28 PM »

Do you still think that after the two commits today? 
Yep.  Frontcourt is still a need, especially if Henry is one and done.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #529 on: May 18, 2015, 09:43:59 AM »
Yep.  Frontcourt is still a need, especially if Henry is one and done.

Frontcourt is my biggest worry right now. Though I'm more worried about it for 2015 than I am for 2016 and beyond.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #530 on: May 18, 2015, 10:21:50 AM »
Frontcourt is my biggest worry right now. Though I'm more worried about it for 2015 than I am for 2016 and beyond.
Does this mean you expect Wojo to sign a stud freshman for 2016 or 2017 or a transfer this year?

I can see a transfer this year at the PF as he could start if HE goes pro after one year or after two years.  Or, I could see us signing a stud in the spring if HE decides to go pro after one year. 

I think getting a transfer who an step in after HE goes pro after one or two years is probably the way to go, if it works out.  A mid-year transfer could work as well, I guess.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #531 on: May 18, 2015, 12:03:49 PM »
Does this mean you expect Wojo to sign a stud freshman for 2016 or 2017 or a transfer this year?

I can see a transfer this year at the PF as he could start if HE goes pro after one year or after two years.  Or, I could see us signing a stud in the spring if HE decides to go pro after one year. 

I think getting a transfer who an step in after HE goes pro after one or two years is probably the way to go, if it works out.  A mid-year transfer could work as well, I guess.

None of the above. Just saying that as I look at next year's roster, I see us getting absolutely obliterated on the boards on a nightly basis. We were a terrible rebounding team last year and we lost our two best rebounders in Steve and Juan and our best rebounding guard in Derrick.

Not landing Lee, Miller, Johnson, or Gielo really puts us in a tough spot in terms of rebounding. I'm amazed that Wojo isn't going hard after the remaining bigs. While someone like Alonzo Nelson-Ododa or Chris Olivier would be a huge help, I'd even be happy with someone like Kenyatta Smith, Arthur Edwards, or Cameron Forte to give us some experience and toughness in the frontcourt.

moomoo

• Team Captain
« Reply #532 on: May 18, 2015, 12:13:54 PM »
None of the above. Just saying that as I look at next year's roster, I see us getting absolutely obliterated on the boards on a nightly basis. We were a terrible rebounding team last year and we lost our two best rebounders in Steve and Juan and our best rebounding guard in Derrick.

Not landing Lee, Miller, Johnson, or Gielo really puts us in a tough spot in terms of rebounding. I'm amazed that Wojo isn't going hard after the remaining bigs. While someone like Alonzo Nelson-Ododa or Chris Olivier would be a huge help, I'd even be happy with someone like Kenyatta Smith, Arthur Edwards, or Cameron Forte to give us some experience and toughness in the frontcourt.

Brewbro, I have never agreed wth a post more strongly than what you just wrote.

It is going to be painful seeing the opposing teams have three or four opportunities, on many possessions, to score against us, because Marquette will be hopelessly outgunned on the glass.
Silenzio. Parla il moomoo.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #533 on: May 18, 2015, 12:53:45 PM »
I'm not buying into the rebounding doom and gloom.  I'm optimistic about Fischer improving significantly after shoulder surgery.  Did Luke's hot start fade because teams prepared for him, or was he not operating at full strength once his shoulder took some game time wear and tear?  And he'll have another year with the guy whose coached USA Basketball big men in the past. (Wojo)

How can Henry not make up for the loss of Juan plus add a little extra?  And lest we forget, Wally Ellenson wasn't able to suit up last year, but he'll be there this year with his serious hops.  Oh, and there's Heldt to back up at the four and the five. I don't see Marquette's rebounding getting worse, I think that it will be improved from last year which admittedly is setting the bar low.

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #534 on: May 18, 2015, 01:09:41 PM »
I'm not buying into the rebounding doom and gloom.  I'm optimistic about Fischer improving significantly after shoulder surgery.  Did Luke's hot start fade because teams prepared for him, or was he not operating at full strength once his shoulder took some game time wear and tear?  And he'll have another year with the guy whose coached USA Basketball big men in the past. (Wojo)

How can Henry not make up for the loss of Juan plus add a little extra?  And lest we forget, Wally Ellenson wasn't able to suit up last year, but he'll be there this year with his serious hops.  Oh, and there's Heldt to back up at the four and the five. I don't see Marquette's rebounding getting worse, I think that it will be improved from last year which admittedly is setting the bar low.

+1.  I think we will go from a bad rebounding team to an average rebounding team based purely on size.  I understand it takes a lot more to rebound than just being big, but you can't teach dang near 7', and we have 3 of them on the roster for the first time since Novak/Jackson/Merritt.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #535 on: May 18, 2015, 01:13:44 PM »

As others have said, I think we'll improve on the glass over last year, but I just cannot understand how Wojo isn't all over every PF and C grad transfer remaining (he may be, but all appears quiet at this point).  We need a big body to throw out there for 15 minutes a night.  Doesn't even need to be a stud, just a guy we can get 6 and 6 from.  I have to imagine there are still a couple names out there...

Kyle Washington and grad transfer big and I would be thrilled.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #536 on: May 18, 2015, 02:14:40 PM »
A rebounding power forward along side Fischer. Washington and Nelson-Ododa.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #537 on: May 18, 2015, 02:15:02 PM »
Assuming they are taught to block out a 6'11" center and a 6'10" power forward should get more than their fair share of rebounds.

Atticus

• All American
« Reply #538 on: May 18, 2015, 03:14:37 PM »
Paschal Chukwu is leaving Providence. 3 years of eligibility.

He could turn out to be a great player down the road; he needs to learn how to stay out of foul trouble.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #539 on: May 18, 2015, 09:18:35 PM »
Paschal Chukwu is leaving Providence. 3 years of eligibility.

He could turn out to be a great player down the road; he needs to learn how to stay out of foul trouble.

Crap.  Not good news for the Big East.  Strange he would leave now that the center job is his with Desrosiers moving on.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #540 on: May 21, 2015, 02:13:07 PM »
A DePaul Alum in the New York area, Dan Stack, got an interview with Washington for a website called Today's U.  Here's what he got.

Ex-North Carolina State forward/center Kyle Washington has released a list of 10 schools he is considering transferring to on Wednesday. After two years in Raleigh, Washington wants a fresh start and he talked with TodaysU about his future plans.

Among the schools (in no order) he is considering are: Kansas, West Virginia, Cincinnati, Providence, Butler, Marquette, Iowa, Iowa State, Arizona State and Xavier.

“I like that they (the schools) focused on my strengths and where I need to get better, “ Washington said about what attracted him to these programs. “A lot of these schools have a history of doing well with people in my position. They have a history of doing well with transfers.”

Washington, a native of Champlin, Minnesota (although his family is now in New York) said location is not of the utmost importance, but it could play a factor.

“A little bit,” Washington said when asked about the location of the school being a factor. “As long as I’m comfortable with where I’m at, I’m happy and I’m in a good situation that I like, than everything will be alright.”

Washington, a 6’9”, 230-pound forward/center, has always been an energy guy with the Wolfpack. He possesses boundless enthusiasm and always plays with a high motor. With his playing time getting squeezed at N.C. State, he thinks now is time for a change of scenery.

“I saw myself in a different light than coach (Mark) Gottfried did,” Washington said. “I felt it would be better for me and my family to move on. I’m grateful for my opportunity at N.C. State, and playing in one of the best conferences in the nation.”

Washington is coming off a season in which he averaged 6.8 points, 4.1 rebounds and 1.1 blocks per game on .467 percent shooting from the the field and .718 percent from the free-throw line. He can also step out and hit the occasional three. Washington has nice range, as he connected on .538 percent of his three-point attempts (7-13).

To date, Washington has scored 404 points, pulled down 278 rebounds and blocked 58 shots in his career with the Pack. For whatever school he chooses, he’ll bring a versatile set of skills to his new team, as Washington can score, rebound and block shots. Washington can certainly do a lot of things well for a big man.

He thinks he can add an extra dimension to the next school he chooses.

“My approach to the game (is a strength),” Washington added. “I take basketball, winning and being successful seriously. It’s about the team first and then the individual. I want to be the best (and ) I want my team to be the best. I’m a very positive thinker. I don’t think about any negativity and that’s one of my best attributes.”

Washington wants to be thorough with his decision and will not rush the process. He will have two years of eligibility left at the school he chooses. Washington will have to sit out next season, as per NCAA Division I transfer rules.

“I just want to be sure I’m happy with my decision,” Washington said. “I want a coach that has a vision for me moving forward”

Hmmm, what are we to make from the fact that his entire interview is in teal?
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #541 on: May 21, 2015, 06:59:41 PM »

That depaul doesn't take men's basketball seriously...
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #542 on: May 21, 2015, 07:45:36 PM »

Not teal, blue.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #543 on: May 23, 2015, 10:53:07 PM »
Alonzo Nelson-Ododa commited to Pittsburgh (seems like their third or fourth grad transfer this year). With that, I'm about ready to call it on grad transfers. I don't think it's happening this year. There is only one guy left who I think would start on our team (Eli Carter from Florida). There are only four guys left who think would earn any playing time (Chris Olivier from Eastern Illinois, Jordan Daniels from Drake, Ge'Lawn Guyn from Cincinnati, and Max Bielfeldt from Michigan). Everyone else would probably just be a warm body.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #544 on: May 23, 2015, 11:01:34 PM »
Alonzo Nelson-Ododa commited to Pittsburgh (seems like their third or fourth grad transfer this year). With that, I'm about ready to call it on grad transfers. I don't think it's happening this year. There is only one guy left who I think would start on our team (Eli Carter from Florida). There are only four guys left who think would earn any playing time (Chris Olivier from Eastern Illinois, Jordan Daniels from Drake, Ge'Lawn Guyn from Cincinnati, and Max Bielfeldt from Michigan). Everyone else would probably just be a warm body.

Doesn't it just feel like Wojo's done on that front?  I sense he had his couple and when they didn't pan out he moved on.

moomoo

• Team Captain
« Reply #545 on: May 24, 2015, 06:00:33 AM »

Tamu,

Chris Olivier is an immediately eligible big who can rebound, and he is also from Chicago. Marquette is not even listed as an interested school. I was hoping we were in the mix, to provide an experienced backup to the four and five. He would get major minutes in that role.

Silenzio. Parla il moomoo.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #546 on: May 24, 2015, 10:17:01 AM »
Tamu,

Chris Olivier is an immediately eligible big who can rebound, and he is also from Chicago. Marquette is not even listed as an interested school. I was hoping we were in the mix, to provide an experienced backup to the four and five. He would get major minutes in that role.

I agree with all of that. Olivier would be my 2nd most wanted grad transfer that's still available (behind Eli Cater). But it doesn't seem like Wojo is going after him or anyone else still remaining.
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #547 on: June 08, 2015, 11:24:03 AM »
Probably unlikely but I'll mention it anyway.

Donivine Stewart just announced he is transferring from SIU-Edwardsville. Averaged 8.6 ppg, 4.3 rpg, 4.1 apg, and 1.4 spg while shooting 32% from beyond the arc. He is immediately eligible and could make a capable backup PG. We have room for at least one grad transfer with Hauser already in the fold for 2016.
TAMU

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #548 on: June 08, 2015, 07:42:30 PM »
Probably unlikely but I'll mention it anyway.

Donivine Stewart just announced he is transferring from SIU-Edwardsville. Averaged 8.6 ppg, 4.3 rpg, 4.1 apg, and 1.4 spg while shooting 32% from beyond the arc. He is immediately eligible and could make a capable backup PG. We have room for at least one grad transfer with Hauser already in the fold for 2016.

Don't rain on my Kyle, doe.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #549 on: July 07, 2015, 04:26:31 PM »
Sophomore PF Austin Nichols is transferring from Memphis. He averaged 13.3 ppg/6.1 rpg last year for the Tigers. Why is this notable? He was heavily recruited by Duke as a high school player and had an offer from the Blue Devils before choosing his hometown team (Memphis native). His lead recruiter? Steve Wojiechowski. Might be worth watching this one.

Latest report says Memphis is refusing to release Nichols. Definitely interesting situation.