'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Official Transfer Thread  (Read 208118 times)

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
Re: Official Transfer Thread
« Reply #450 on: April 22, 2015, 08:58:38 AM »
Cleveland State PF Anton Grady is transferring. Averaged 14.3 ppg/7.9 rpg last year. Not as efficient offensively as Shonn Miller, but still solid numbers. Excellent rebounder, probably the best guy on the glass out there. Close to Miller in terms of defensive rebounds and better on the offensive glass. Will be interesting to see if MU gets involved.

Hanging out with Fred Sanford too much.

moomoo

• Team Captain
« Reply #451 on: April 22, 2015, 09:35:00 AM »
Dartmouth transfer Alex Mitola has committed to George Washington, per a source. Can play right away. Averaged 12.4 points last season.
Silenzio. Parla il moomoo.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #452 on: April 22, 2015, 09:58:00 AM »
Cleveland State PF Anton Grady is transferring. Averaged 14.3 ppg/7.9 rpg last year. Not as efficient offensively as Shonn Miller, but still solid numbers. Excellent rebounder, probably the best guy on the glass out there. Close to Miller in terms of defensive rebounds and better on the offensive glass. Will be interesting to see if MU gets involved.

Sucks to be Cleveland State.  From The Cleveland Plain Dealer:

"Gary Waters remembers when Trey Lewis delivered the news that he was going to Penn State.

"I told him that I understood," said the Cleveland State coach. "I know it's hard to turn down the Big Ten. I also knew that we were his second choice. I said if things didn't work out there, he could always come home."

Lewis was the Ohio Division I Co-Player of the Year in 2011 at Garfield Heights. He finished second to Trey Burke in the voting for Mr. Ohio Basketball.

It's very hard to keep a player like that home, because expectations are so high.

Lewis played 20 games at Penn State, averaging 5.6 points. But there was a coaching change, and Lewis decided to return to Cleveland.

Now he teams up with another local product -- Cleveland Central Catholic's Anton Grady.

Grady was the Ohio Division III Co-Player of the Year in 2011. He was recruited by schools such as Xavier, Cincinnati and others who are considered a higher Division I level than CSU.

But Grady stayed home from the start, because he wanted to play for Waters. He is the highest-rated high school player recruited by Waters at CSU.

Now, the two local players have the Vikings contending for the Horizon League title. Lewis is the team's leading scorer, Grady the leading rebounder."

From The Cauldron:

"Lewis' transfer marks the second time in two years that the Vikings have lost their lead scorer, after Bryn Forbes transferred to MSU following the 2013-14 season.
Forbes was a part of the MSU team that advanced to the Final Four this year after defeating Louisville in the Elite Eight.

Meanwhile, this season, with the loss of Forbes, CSU was forced to scramble to find scoring elsewhere. Lewis was a big part of what scoring the Vikings did have this season.
In the upcoming 2015-16 season, adding to the frustration for CSU, the team will also be without seniors Charlie Lee and Marlin Mason, who are set to graduate in May. Lee ran the team's offense and was the third highest scorer this season.

CSU's second-highest scorer this year, Anton Grady, is also eligible to transfer before the start of next season."

Gary Waters must be pulling his hair out.  This could have been us if Marquette didn't have a BOT that saw the importance of basketball to the University.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #453 on: April 22, 2015, 10:08:47 AM »
At the same time, I have to wonder what's going on at CSU that has all of their best players looking to leave. I have to imagine the coaching staff isn't completely blameless in this regard.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #454 on: April 22, 2015, 10:21:26 AM »
At the same time, I have to wonder what's going on at CSU that has all of their best players looking to leave. I have to imagine the coaching staff isn't completely blameless in this regard.
I don't know about that.  A chance to win the Horizon and get knocked out in the first round in the NCAAs vs. a chance to play for a major conference champion with a long stay in the NCAA tournament and play all your games on TV.  That would turn my head if I were one of these guys.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #455 on: April 23, 2015, 09:15:55 AM »
Former 5-star, top-10 recruit Chris Walker is leaving Florida. Not sure if he'll transfer or try his hand at playing professionally, most likely in Europe.

Coming out, he was a great prospect. 6'10", great athlete, but just never put it together at Florida. According to Yahoo, Duke did offer him. Be interesting to see what calls he gets, while Kyle Washington might be safer, Walker may still have a ton of upside.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #456 on: April 26, 2015, 08:20:03 PM »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #457 on: April 27, 2015, 08:00:30 AM »
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/division-chief-puts-transfer-rules-priority-list-185137288--ncaab.html

NCAA's new sheriff wants to work on this loophole.  

Loophole?  Kids who graduate with an undergrad degree are not being restricted (much) in their choice of graduate school to their undergrad school.  Like they were college students, and not professional athletes.  And they're not professionals, because the NCAA says that they're not.  And saves a lot of cash as a result.

What's ruining college sports is that they are being professionalized at an increasing rate.  And the ones doing that are member schools of the NCAA and conferences that they belong to, not the "student-athletes."
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 08:02:20 AM by LittleWade »

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #458 on: April 27, 2015, 08:51:10 AM »
Loophole?  Kids who graduate with an undergrad degree are not being restricted (much) in their choice of graduate school to their undergrad school.  Like they were college students, and not professional athletes.  And they're not professionals, because the NCAA says that they're not.  And saves a lot of cash as a result.

What's ruining college sports is that they are being professionalized at an increasing rate.  And the ones doing that are member schools of the NCAA and conferences that they belong to, not the "student-athletes."

Agreed.  I will never understand why we would punish kids for working hard and graduating.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #459 on: April 27, 2015, 10:33:58 AM »
Deandre Burnett is visiting ole miss next week. Looking at Marquette and lasalle as well.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #460 on: April 27, 2015, 02:43:16 PM »
Deandre Burnett is visiting ole miss next week. Looking at Marquette and lasalle as well.

This is the transfer possibility that has me scratching my head.  A short two guard who couldn't get on the floor at Miami.  Not a grad guy that I know of.  The coaching staff obviously knows something that I don't know.  His shooting must be awesome.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #461 on: April 27, 2015, 02:50:30 PM »
This is the transfer possibility that has me scratching my head.  A short two guard who couldn't get on the floor at Miami.  Not a grad guy that I know of.  The coaching staff obviously knows something that I don't know.  His shooting must be awesome.

On the surface it is a head-scratcher, but he was a borderline top-100 recruit a couple years back and was touted as a good shooter coming out of prep school.

He's #1 in this video, knocking down trey after trey with a quick release.

http://youtu.be/0CIdlp84XYE

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #462 on: April 27, 2015, 03:19:17 PM »
On the surface it is a head-scratcher, but he was a borderline top-100 recruit a couple years back and was touted as a good shooter coming out of prep school.

He's #1 in this video, knocking down trey after trey with a quick release.

http://youtu.be/0CIdlp84XYE

Nothing I haven't done myself.

On an xbox, I mean.  Thanks for the link.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #463 on: April 27, 2015, 04:13:51 PM »
Agreed.  I will never understand why we would punish kids for working hard and graduating.

We wouldn't be punishing the kids.
The NCAA would be punishing the kids on behalf of its member coaches whose jobs are made harder by rampant transferring.
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #464 on: April 27, 2015, 05:17:58 PM »
We wouldn't be punishing the kids.
The NCAA would be punishing the kids on behalf of its member coaches whose jobs are made harder by rampant transferring.

Right. "We" as in any adults. Transfer rules are just fine, in my opinion. If you work hard enough to graduate with eligibility left then you should be rewarded and able to seek the best situation possible for yourself. If you didn't graduate but find yourself in a bad spot personally then your punishment is to sit out a year before being able to play at your next destination, which in my opinion is fair. Work hard and take your education seriously and you deserve the reward that is coming your way.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #465 on: April 28, 2015, 08:12:11 AM »
Eli Carter just announced he is transferring from Florida. Eligible next season. Former Big East PG from Rutgers Averaged 15 ppg and 2.1 apg as a freshman.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #466 on: April 28, 2015, 08:20:46 AM »
I saw that a big man from Washington is transferring and is eligible immediately. I can't remember his name but he was 6'10 and averaged 5 & 4 last year.

No idea if we're interested but he might a decent option.
Bring back FFP!!!

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #467 on: April 28, 2015, 08:26:44 AM »
Eli Carter just announced he is transferring from Florida. Eligible next season. Former Big East PG from Rutgers Averaged 15 ppg and 2.1 apg as a freshman.

I just looked up Carter and notice he was born May 6, 1991, so he'll be 24 next week.  He's more than a year older than Vander.  Not saying it's good or bad, just thought it was an interesting comparison.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #468 on: April 28, 2015, 08:42:32 AM »
I saw that a big man from Washington is transferring and is eligible immediately. I can't remember his name but he was 6'10 and averaged 5 & 4 last year.

No idea if we're interested but he might a decent option.

Jernard Jarreau

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/players/playerpage/1905288/jernard-jarreau

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #469 on: April 28, 2015, 09:26:07 AM »
I just looked up Carter and notice he was born May 6, 1991, so he'll be 24 next week.  He's more than a year older than Vander.  Not saying it's good or bad, just thought it was an interesting comparison.

For a one year rental I think it's great. He should be mature both physically and mentally.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #470 on: April 28, 2015, 10:19:55 AM »
For a one year rental I think it's great. He should be mature both physically and mentally.

But only 60% on FT and 42% on FGs.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #471 on: April 28, 2015, 01:26:04 PM »
Sterling Gibbs to transfer, eligible immediately. Willard should be fired, or should've been a month ago. Wish we could take Gibbs.

milwaukee ex-pat

• Starter
« Reply #472 on: April 28, 2015, 01:48:31 PM »
Is there a transfer within a conference exception for graduate transfers like Sterling Gibbs?  The reason I ask is that Adam Smith of VTech transferred to Georgia Tech.  I would think it a little weird that the ACC would allow in conference transfers..

Virginia Tech standout Adam Smith, who averaged 13.4 PPG and shot 42 percent from behind the 3-point line last season, will be allowed to compete immediately as a graduate transfer.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/107078/looking-ahead-georgia-tech-yellow-jackets

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #473 on: April 28, 2015, 02:38:41 PM »
Is there a transfer within a conference exception for graduate transfers like Sterling Gibbs?  The reason I ask is that Adam Smith of VTech transferred to Georgia Tech.  I would think it a little weird that the ACC would allow in conference transfers..

Virginia Tech standout Adam Smith, who averaged 13.4 PPG and shot 42 percent from behind the 3-point line last season, will be allowed to compete immediately as a graduate transfer.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/107078/looking-ahead-georgia-tech-yellow-jackets

No there is no exception.  It is a Big East rule so what happens in the ACC isn't relevant. 

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #474 on: April 28, 2015, 02:42:55 PM »
From what I read, the ACC rule requires in-conference transfers to pay their own way the year after the transfer. Not sure if it's the case here, but based on league rules Adam Smith should be paying full tuition to attend Georgia Tech.

feedback