[Today at 09:22:20 PM]

NIL Future by PointWarrior
[Today at 09:03:13 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[Today at 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[Today at 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Official Transfer Thread  (Read 208748 times)

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
Re: Official Transfer Thread
« Reply #125 on: March 25, 2015, 06:15:40 PM »

The point is that you just provided an incentive for a player to break team rules if they want to transfer.  That isn't a good idea.

Incentive might be too strong a word for giving a player a chance to play right away in the Horizon League when he was playing in a high major conference.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #126 on: March 25, 2015, 06:48:26 PM »
Creaning should lead to immediate eligibility.  Any kid who loses his scholarship due to being recruited over and having his scholarship terminated shouldn't have to send a year sitting out.  Those not remaining eligible could hardly change that situation by transferring, except maybe to a JUCO if they were freshmen.

Sure, it sucks that a coach can decide to recruit over a player because scholarships are a 1 year deal.  But if you decide to let kids who aren't welcomed back to their school to be eligible immediately then the Rasheed Sulaimon's of the world (alleged sexual assault) or the Doug Gottlieb's of the world (stealing credit cards) get rewarded for being kicked off of their team rather than deciding to transfer on their own.  Seems extremely dumb to me.

Then we'll say "Well the kids who have their scholarship pulled because they weren't performing well should be able to transfer but not the players who are being kicked off the team because of behavioral issues."  So now we're making a coach show future recruits that he's either going to a) kick you off the team for not being good enough or b) throw you under the bus and go public with any information on behavior issues you had at school.  Pretty no-win situation to put a coach in.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

chapman

• All American
« Reply #127 on: March 25, 2015, 08:27:23 PM »
Sure, it sucks that a coach can decide to recruit over a player because scholarships are a 1 year deal.  But if you decide to let kids who aren't welcomed back to their school to be eligible immediately then the Rasheed Sulaimon's of the world (alleged sexual assault) or the Doug Gottlieb's of the world (stealing credit cards) get rewarded for being kicked off of their team rather than deciding to transfer on their own.  Seems extremely dumb to me.

Then we'll say "Well the kids who have their scholarship pulled because they weren't performing well should be able to transfer but not the players who are being kicked off the team because of behavioral issues."  So now we're making a coach show future recruits that he's either going to a) kick you off the team for not being good enough or b) throw you under the bus and go public with any information on behavior issues you had at school.  Pretty no-win situation to put a coach in.

Agree.  It would be nice if players who were "let go" were given immediately eligibility since it's a crummy situation to be in, but it's just not practical.  It just can't be proven cleanly.  A coach or the school could state disciplinary issues, or simply state that the player was welcome back but chose to leave.  And to avoid sitting out, players will continually try to prove that they were not welcome back even if their scholarship wasn't officially pulled; to avoid the negative press schools will just "cut" every player who wants to transfer.  Same as the hardship waiver; some very legitimate circumstance made it a nice and just thing in some cases, but the mess that makes the process subjective, turns every transfer into an NCAA appeal for immediate eligibility - a good move by the NCAA to make it a clean rule: to play right away, show your diploma and enroll in a grad school.

Logi4three

• Team Captain
« Reply #128 on: March 25, 2015, 08:35:42 PM »
Alex Kline just posted
RT @scoopIPS: Pitt, Auburn & Marquette offered 2015 big man Mike Edwards of Westland John Glenn (MI) today.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #129 on: March 25, 2015, 09:42:43 PM »
OT: This kid must be REALLY GOOD!

Andrew Slater ‏@ASlater247  8m8 minutes ago
26 colleges, including Kentucky, Kansas, Arizona & LSU, will watch Andre Rafus @cantstoprafus , a top 10 SF in 2017, in the 1st live period
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

Skitch

• All American
« Reply #130 on: March 25, 2015, 11:45:24 PM »
Saw somewhere else that Matt Thomas is leaving Iowa State but haven't seen anything official.  Would MU have interest?  We seem pretty deep at SG unless the rumors about JaJuan leaving come true.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #131 on: March 26, 2015, 12:11:45 AM »
Evan Daniels @EvanDaniels
Stanford Robinson is transferring out of Indiana, his high school coach confirms to Scout.

He left on his own, he was playing poorly all year and couldn't get the minutes because he didn't deserve them.  Creaning will come in a bit with Priller and one more depending if Yogi stays or not.

MU Buff

• Starter
« Reply #132 on: March 26, 2015, 12:38:28 AM »
Saw somewhere else that Matt Thomas is leaving Iowa State but haven't seen anything official.  Would MU have interest?  We seem pretty deep at SG unless the rumors about JaJuan leaving come true.

I'm not sure what to make of Matt Thomas if he decided to transfer. I believe he's a great shooter, better than what he's shown at Iowa State. I think the main concern is that he struggles defensively and it's probably the reason he didn't play more this year.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #133 on: March 26, 2015, 01:25:36 AM »
Matt Thomas blows.

Wait for Niang or no one.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #134 on: March 26, 2015, 07:09:11 AM »
Even without JJJ, We still have Duane, Wally, Cohen, Cheatham, Amin--still pretty deep.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #135 on: March 26, 2015, 07:16:52 AM »

If he did, he would have to sit a year. I think Thomas could be a good situational player. That sniper to come in off the bench seems to be a role he could excel in. However he isn't known for his defense and has had some off-court issues as well. He wouldn't be a terrible add if he did become available, but I also wouldn't have him at the top of my list of in-state guys I'd like to see come home to Marquette.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #136 on: March 26, 2015, 11:24:26 AM »
Matt Thomas blows.

That's the bitch about missing the NCAA tournament for two years while another school gets a number 3 seed.  Transfers of impact players are more likely to go one way than another.

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #137 on: March 26, 2015, 01:13:02 PM »
If he did, he would have to sit a year. I think Thomas could be a good situational player. That sniper to come in off the bench seems to be a role he could excel in. However he isn't known for his defense and has had some off-court issues as well. He wouldn't be a terrible add if he did become available, but I also wouldn't have him at the top of my list of in-state guys I'd like to see come home to Marquette.

Except he has hardly been a sniper at ISU.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #138 on: March 26, 2015, 01:27:33 PM »

Except he has hardly been a sniper at ISU.

True. I'd rather take Buzz's top scorer anyway...

Quote from: Virginia Tech Men's Basketball
@VT_MBBall: Adam Smith will transfer to another school to play his fifth year of eligibility upon earning his degree in May.

Averaged 13.4 ppg and 2.9 rpg. Shot 42.4% from three. Assist numbers were really bad last year, but he had a 22.2% assist rate two years ago, better than anyone at MU this past year outside of Derrick.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #139 on: March 26, 2015, 01:50:22 PM »
That's the bitch about missing the NCAA tournament for two years while another school gets a number 3 seed.  Transfers of impact players are more likely to go one way than another.

We have a nationally ranked class. We don't need the scraps of a blah program.

Thomas isn't a good basketball. Two bad seasons or not we don't have to sink to that level.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #140 on: March 26, 2015, 02:10:01 PM »
True. I'd rather take Buzz's top scorer anyway...

Averaged 13.4 ppg and 2.9 rpg. Shot 42.4% from three. Assist numbers were really bad last year, but he had a 22.2% assist rate two years ago, better than anyone at MU this past year outside of Derrick.

Smith will be an excellent addition to any number of programs. Had he stayed, joining Hill, Bibbs, and Allen it would have been a formidable backcourt rotation. Makes a dent in my belief Buzz will have top third ACC talent next season but we've seen him win more with less than typical coaches.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #141 on: March 26, 2015, 05:07:52 PM »
USC Men's Basketball ‏@USC_Hoops  55m55 minutes ago Los Angeles, CA
Sophomore guard Kahlil Dukes had decided to transfer following the 2014-15 school year.  Dukes averaged 2.1 ppg in 20 games this season.

Jerry Meyer ‏@jerrymeyer247  33m33 minutes ago
From what I'm hearing, if we had a #Crystalball for transfers, my Mike Thorne (Charlotte) pick would be Virginia Tech.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 05:09:58 PM by VegasWarrior77 »
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #142 on: March 26, 2015, 05:27:50 PM »

Teal?  Tourney performance this year aside, ISU is far from blah.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #143 on: March 26, 2015, 06:13:47 PM »
Teal?  Tourney performance this year aside, ISU is far from blah.

Teal?

They have been good for 3 years under hoiberg and played to seed. When he goes to the Bulls that place will be a dumpster fire again.

It's a very blah program. And we should never need guys not good enough to play there. Especially thomas who blows

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #144 on: March 26, 2015, 06:28:00 PM »
Teal?

They have been good for 3 years under hoiberg and played to seed. When he goes to the Bulls that place will be a dumpster fire again.

It's a very blah program. And we should never need guys not good enough to play there. Especially thomas who blows

Hopefully Wojo has a use for all three scholarships, because you can do worse than getting a guy in the program for a year and see where it goes. I'm not necessarily advocating for Thomas, but I hope Wojo doesn't just bank a scholarship or two. You never stop recruiting - it's the way of CBB these days, and you have to do it to be good.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #145 on: March 26, 2015, 06:40:45 PM »
Hopefully Wojo has a use for all three scholarships, because you can do worse than getting a guy in the program for a year and see where it goes. I'm not necessarily advocating for Thomas, but I hope Wojo doesn't just bank a scholarship or two. You never stop recruiting - it's the way of CBB these days, and you have to do it to be good.

Why not bank it? If Thomas were the only option.

What need to we have for another two guard? When this one can't shoot or play defense. He can't play next year anyways.

Might as well bank it and recruit a better thomas we have for 4 years.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #146 on: March 27, 2015, 01:21:52 PM »

Thomas isn't a good basketball. Two bad seasons or not we don't have to sink to that level.

But you were talking about Niang, weren't you?

Matt Thomas blows.

That's the bitch about missing the NCAA tournament for two years while another school gets a number 3 seed.  Transfers of impact players are more likely to go one way than another.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #147 on: March 27, 2015, 06:42:51 PM »
Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein  7h7 hours ago
Indiana's Max Hoetzel will transfer, sources told @CBSSports. Story: http://cbsprt.co/19pIVb9

Indiana freshman Max Hoetzel set to transfer

Indiana announced Friday freshman forward Max Hoetzel is transferring.

“We were always impressed with Max's upside and potential, but unfortunately in his view it did not turn into the extended minutes he wanted,” Indiana coach Tom Crean said. “He would like to find a clear cut opportunity to play more and we hope he finds that. He is a hard worker who we hope will fulfill his potential and have the chance to play closer to his family.”

The 6-foot-8 forward from Calabassas, Calif., played in 31 games and averaged 7.7 minutes and 2.4 points per game in 2014-15. He will have three years of eligibility remaining.

“I loved my time here at Indiana and can't thank coach Crean enough for this opportunity,” Hoetzel said. “I want to find a school where I can have a bigger impact on the court. Hopefully, it will be somewhere my family can see me play more often.”

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #148 on: March 27, 2015, 06:46:08 PM »
Well, if T-Cubed gets the ASU gig, old Max can be his first recruit, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #149 on: March 27, 2015, 06:47:28 PM »
Well, if T-Cubed gets the ASU gig, old Max can be his first recruit, hey?

Or since we have a coach who knows how to use a post player maybe big Fischy Fisch can tell him how much Wojo has helped him develop his game and this kid can take over when Hank leaves for the Association, I'm really a badger fan?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter