[Today at 12:50:35 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by warriorchick
[Today at 12:06:20 PM]

MU Gear by Pepe Sylvia
[Today at 11:45:12 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 11:11:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Official Transfer Thread  (Read 208758 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Official Transfer Thread
« Reply #500 on: May 14, 2015, 10:14:57 AM »
Washington would be a fantastic addition. 

If we get Rowsey, that would make for an interesting class next year. Rowsey and Washington would take two of our three available scholarships, potentially Hauser would take the last one. Barring transfers that finishes up recruiting for 2016. It would also give an interesting balance to the classes for 2016-17, with three seniors, four juniors, five sophomores, and one freshman. Well-balanced with the exception of that one class, but a lot of experience to lean on potentially in the 2017 and 2018 tournaments.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #501 on: May 14, 2015, 10:43:40 AM »
If we get Rowsey, that would make for an interesting class next year. Rowsey and Washington would take two of our three available scholarships, potentially Hauser would take the last one. Barring transfers that finishes up recruiting for 2016. It would also give an interesting balance to the classes for 2016-17, with three seniors, four juniors, five sophomores, and one freshman. Well-balanced with the exception of that one class, but a lot of experience to lean on potentially in the 2017 and 2018 tournaments.

Assuming Henry is around for the 2017 and 2018 tournaments.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #502 on: May 14, 2015, 11:17:12 AM »
Assuming Henry is around for the 2017 and 2018 tournaments.

Yup. Just looking at the scholarship table now.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #503 on: May 14, 2015, 01:19:10 PM »
I would much rather stay in on Coffey.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #504 on: May 14, 2015, 01:29:10 PM »
I would much rather stay in on Coffey.
Wojo needs to balance with what he can get with what he wants to get, which might not happen. Yes, Coffey might be the better player, but what do you do if you have 100% chance at one of these transfers, but you are giving up a 10%, 20%, 30%, etc chance at getting Coffey? As they say a bird in the hand is better than two birds in the bush.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #505 on: May 14, 2015, 02:23:24 PM »
Wojo needs to balance with what he can get with what he wants to get, which might not happen. Yes, Coffey might be the better player, but what do you do if you have 100% chance at one of these transfers, but you are giving up a 10%, 20%, 30%, etc chance at getting Coffey? As they say a bird in the hand is better than two birds in the bush.

Let's see. While I don't know the odds.

Miller at least feels good about our chances with Coffey and right now it's really MU, Minny and ISU in that battle

Washington a worse player and 2 year guy has about 10 teams on his list as of now.

Rowsey not a huge need. carter,Anim, JJJ, Cheatam, Duane, Sandy will all still be around with JJJ as the only senior. That's a lot of guard type players.

Hauser/Coffey give us the more traditional swing guys to go at multiple positions.

Washingtons positive is he's a true PF so Id prefer him to Rowsey.

Just don't see a need for Rowsey at all. Will be a junior and no better than 5 other guys who need minutes.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #506 on: May 14, 2015, 02:47:40 PM »
It may be that Coffey vs. Hauser is the first one to commit. I am sure Wojo would take both, but they would be competing for the same playing time so is it likely that both would come?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #507 on: May 14, 2015, 03:20:57 PM »
We can get both. Someone will transfer or just as likely some other chit will go down, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Sharpie

• Team Captain
« Reply #508 on: May 14, 2015, 03:34:47 PM »
Would be nice to have some depth at pg no?

Aircraftcarrier

• Team Captain
« Reply #509 on: May 14, 2015, 04:04:51 PM »
Don't see a need for Rowsey? How about he would be the best shooter on the team .Do we need shooters or go with the bricklayers we have now.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #510 on: May 14, 2015, 06:12:39 PM »
Let's see. While I don't know the odds.

Miller at least feels good about our chances with Coffey and right now it's really MU, Minny and ISU in that battle

Washington a worse player and 2 year guy has about 10 teams on his list as of now.

Rowsey not a huge need. carter,Anim, JJJ, Cheatam, Duane, Sandy will all still be around with JJJ as the only senior. That's a lot of guard type players.

Hauser/Coffey give us the more traditional swing guys to go at multiple positions.

Washingtons positive is he's a true PF so Id prefer him to Rowsey.

Just don't see a need for Rowsey at all. Will be a junior and no better than 5 other guys who need minutes.

I don't know how much you know about basketball, but traditionally among the five players on the court teams like to have at least one player who has the skills to play a position called "point guard".  One year, Marquette went to the NCAA tournament without a "point guard" because the only one that they had (Travis Diener) was injured shortly before the tournament.  This actually resulted in a disappointing result in said tournament.  For that reason, if no other, Rowsey might be a useful fellow to have in Marquette's basketball program.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #511 on: May 14, 2015, 06:30:08 PM »
I don't know how much you know about basketball, but traditionally among the five players on the court teams like to have at least one player who has the skills to play a position called "point guard".  One year, Marquette went to the NCAA tournament without a "point guard" because the only one that they had (Travis Diener) was injured shortly before the tournament.  This actually resulted in a disappointing result in said tournament.  For that reason, if no other, Rowsey might be a useful fellow to have in Marquette's basketball program.

And I'm not sure how much you know about this current Marquette roster.

But we are going into THIS season with Carter, Cheatam and possibly Duane as our options.

And staff has been fully committed to this idea. So do that for a year then have a low mid major player jump them? Yeah, ok.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #512 on: May 14, 2015, 06:30:42 PM »

Which year are you talking about?  We went to the tournament in Travis's freshmen and sophomore seasons, we did not in his junior and senior years.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #513 on: May 14, 2015, 07:41:23 PM »
Which year are you talking about?  We went to the tournament in Travis's freshmen and sophomore seasons, we did not in his junior and senior years.

I was thinking of Travis' senior year.  You are correct, MU did not play in the NCAA that year, instead falling in the first round of the NIT which is the tournament I remember MU doing poorly in.  Thanks for the correction.

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #514 on: May 14, 2015, 07:50:45 PM »
And I'm not sure how much you know about this current Marquette roster.

But we are going into THIS season with Carter, Cheatam and possibly Duane as our options.

And staff has been fully committed to this idea. So do that for a year then have a low mid major player jump them? Yeah, ok.

"possibly Duane"?  I don't know how much you know about MU's current roster.  Yes, the staff has written in Cheatam for the backup PG next year.  Which is not the same thing as saying that they are certain that that is his best position.  Having two primary PGs on the roster for 2016-17 doesn't seem wasteful to me.  And I certainly wouldn't characterize Rowsey as a "wing" just because it makes it easier for me to dismiss him as a potential key piece to the 2016-17 roster.  Thinking this way also makes it easier to connect the dots as to why Wojo is choosing to recruit Rowsey, even in the face of your apparent misgivings.

I, too, like Kyle Washington and would be excited if he decides to come to MU.  MU can take Rowsey and Washington and still have room for Coffey and Hauser.  Ellenson could leave after just a year and whoever is at the end of the bench at wing will probably have an itch to move on.  Ultimately, I think the recruitment of Rowsey is a reflection of the staff's assessment that Winston's recruitment is a long shot and that Rowsey can be an effective high major PG.  Even if he doesn't beat out Carter to start, the competition between them should benefit Carter's development.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 08:02:39 PM by LittleWade »

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #515 on: May 14, 2015, 08:17:41 PM »
"possibly Duane"?  I don't know how much you know about MU's current roster.  Yes, the staff has written in Cheatam for the backup PG next year.  Which is not the same thing as saying that they are certain that that is his best position.  Having two primary PGs on the roster for 2016-17 doesn't seem wasteful to me.  And I certainly wouldn't characterize Rowsey as a "wing" just because it makes it easier for me to dismiss him as a potential key piece to the 2016-17 roster.  Thinking this way also makes it easier to connect the dots as to why Wojo is choosing to recruit Rowsey, even in the face of your apparent misgivings.

I, too, like Kyle Washington and would be excited if he decides to come to MU.  MU can take Rowsey and Washington and still have room for Coffey and Hauser.  Ellenson could leave after just a year and whoever is at the end of the bench at wing will probably have an itch to move on.  Ultimately, I think the recruitment of Rowsey is a reflection of the staff's assessment that Winston's recruitment is a long shot and that Rowsey can be an effective high major PG.  Even if he doesn't beat out Carter to start, the competition between them should benefit Carter's development.

Even if he doesn't beat out Carter? Why would he beat out Carter? Unless Traci is just God awful. Which would show that the staff put too much faith into the wrong guy.

Carter isn't starting as a freshman, backing up his sophomore and junior years then starting possibly again as a senior.

The reason we are rolling with Carter is they see Carter as a Pg out of the gates.

If Rowsey ended up our starting Pg in 2016 I gurantee this coming year is a disaster.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #516 on: May 14, 2015, 08:54:53 PM »
I was thinking of Travis' senior year.  You are correct, MU did not play in the NCAA that year, instead falling in the first round of the NIT which is the tournament I remember MU doing poorly in.  Thanks for the correction.

Yeah, but, Murray, ya gotta consider the numb nut who was bein' paid large dinero to coach that team. Doubt da turtlehead woulda had any more success if Magic were runnin' at the point, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #517 on: May 14, 2015, 09:56:28 PM »
Even if he doesn't beat out Carter? Why would he beat out Carter? Unless Traci is just God awful. Which [b]would show that the staff put too much faith into the wrong guy.[/b]
Carter was the best option out there and prior to him the best option at point was Cheatham, who did not play point in high school. MU's problems at point are not near being solved. Rowsey is listed as 5'10" and Carter is listed at 6'. My guess is that there is less tha a 2" difference in their heights.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #518 on: May 15, 2015, 12:44:09 AM »
The reason we are rolling with Carter is they see Carter as a Pg out of the gates. He was the best PG we could nab this late in the game.

Don't get me wrong, I hope that Carter is a stud from day 1. But I have huge reservations about handing the keys to a true freshman PG. Maybe I'd feel good if he was a burger boy, but he's not.

Regardless, we need another PG on the roster. For whatever reason, Wojo doesn't categorize Duane as a PG. I have heard this "Cheatham will be the backup PG" speculation but I am skeptical at best. If Rowsey can come in and be our backup PG in two years, I think that is a scholarship well spent. He may even surprise some people. Everyone is quick to dismiss him because he played for UNC Asheville. But I could see him being a very solid player for us.

And if Coffey wants to come here, a scholarship will materialize. I guarantee it. Rowsey's recruitment has zero impact on Coffey's.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #519 on: May 15, 2015, 01:05:01 PM »
Don't get me wrong, I hope that Carter is a stud from day 1. But I have huge reservations about handing the keys to a true freshman PG. Maybe I'd feel good if he was a burger boy, but he's not.

Regardless, we need another PG on the roster. For whatever reason, Wojo doesn't categorize Duane as a PG. I have heard this "Cheatham will be the backup PG" speculation but I am skeptical at best. If Rowsey can come in and be our backup PG in two years, I think that is a scholarship well spent. He may even surprise some people. Everyone is quick to dismiss him because he played for UNC Asheville. But I could see him being a very solid player for us.

And if Coffey wants to come here, a scholarship will materialize. I guarantee it. Rowsey's recruitment has zero impact on Coffey's.

I def understand that Carter was more of a best available guy but the thing is we have shown 100% confidence in rolling with him and Cheatam for this year. Since getting Carter, Wojo focus has been on grad transfers that are not PGs.

So obviously the plan is Traci to start again the following year

So why couldn't we just go Carter/Cheatam again? Since we graduate no one the depth will be the same so Haanif minutes will still have to come some from PG with Duane still around.

Then in 2017 we go for a PG(assuming Winston is still a no go in 2016).

I just think we have enough guard depth and if wojo and co are willing to roll with these guys this year, in 2016 with a year of experience he should feel even better.

We just have so many high end options with a legit shot at landing to use that schollie

Washington makes more sense if a transfer is a must

Sharpie

• Team Captain
« Reply #520 on: May 15, 2015, 01:15:50 PM »
I def understand that Carter was more of a best available guy but the thing is we have shown 100% confidence in rolling with him and Cheatam for this year. Since getting Carter, Wojo focus has been on grad transfers that are not PGs.

So obviously the plan is Traci to start again the following year

So why couldn't we just go Carter/Cheatam again? Since we graduate no one the depth will be the same so Haanif minutes will still have to come some from PG with Duane still around.

Then in 2017 we go for a PG(assuming Winston is still a no go in 2016).

I just think we have enough guard depth and if wojo and co are willing to roll with these guys this year, in 2016 with a year of experience he should feel even better.

We just have so many high end options with a legit shot at landing to use that schollie

Washington makes more sense if a transfer is a must

His recruiting efforts were solely on non pg's? Then why did we even have Rowsey on campus or be on the final list for the pg from Miami? Just because we have players that can possibly play pg doesn't mean they are pg's and also doesn't mean we shouldn't recruit another backup pure pg to complement someone who may or may not be the started from day 1. I hope that Carter is a stud and starts all 4 years. That'd be amazing but you can't bank on that or simply not have a backup plan in case of injuries, transfers, foul trouble, you name it. You're not making a ton of sense. No offense.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #521 on: May 15, 2015, 01:19:33 PM »
His recruiting efforts were solely on non pg's? Then why did we even have Rowsey on campus or be on the final list for the pg from Miami? Just because we have players that can possibly play pg doesn't mean they are pg's and also doesn't mean we shouldn't recruit another backup pure pg to complement someone who may or may not be the started from day 1. I hope that Carter is a stud and starts all 4 years. That'd be amazing but you can't bank on that or simply not have a backup plan in case of injuries, transfers, foul trouble, you name it. You're not making a ton of sense. No offense.

Dude. Those guys can't play this year.

Wojo didn't go after any GRAD TRANSFERS. It makes perfect sense. He decided to roll with these guys

If you are ok trusting two freshman. You should be ok trusting them as sophomores.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #522 on: May 15, 2015, 02:40:11 PM »
Dude. Those guys can't play this year.

Wojo didn't go after any GRAD TRANSFERS. It makes perfect sense. He decided to roll with these guys

If you are ok trusting two freshman. You should be ok trusting them as sophomores.

I wouldn't be so confident that he didn't go after PGs. He just didn't have much luck with them.

Clearly, Wojo has made this kid a priority, and that is enough for me.

We also don't need to worry about "wasting" scholarships. If we have the opportunity to get a high end player who is better than someone currently on our roster, I promise that a scholarship will materialize for that player.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #523 on: May 15, 2015, 04:56:54 PM »
I think Washington is a real possibility and believe the fit is excellent. He's got to get comfortable with the possibility that we have a lot of talented tall guys on the team in 2015-16, but past that.. legggooo!
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #524 on: May 15, 2015, 08:24:41 PM »
I think Washington is a real possibility and believe the fit is excellent. He's got to get comfortable with the possibility that we have a lot of talented tall guys on the team in 2015-16, but past that.. legggooo!

Heck of a problem to have for MU.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

feedback