[Today at 04:47:36 PM]

NIL Future by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:56:29 PM]

Shaka's 2023-2024 Season Accomplishments by LloydsLegs
[Today at 02:48:52 PM]

MU Gear by MUfan12
[Today at 01:31:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: DePaul Coaching Search  (Read 109994 times)

MUDPT

• All American
Re: DePaul Coaching Search
« Reply #225 on: March 29, 2015, 02:38:53 PM »
If they pass on Drew and/or Hurley for Leitao, kick them out of the BE.

Report: Hurley wants DePaul job ‘badly’

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/ub-mens-basketball/report-hurley-wants-depaul-job-badly-20150328

The University at Buffalo was in a wait-and-see mode this weekend as the pursuit of men’s basketball coach Bobby Hurley heated up and the college basketball coaching moves continued.

DePaul University has strong interest in Hurley, and the UB coach was seen in Chicago’s O’Hare Airport on Saturday.

The Chicago Tribune reported that Valparaiso coach Bryce Drew and Hurley each want the DePaul men’s basketball job “badly,” according to a source. Hurley was scheduled to interview on Saturday and Drew on Sunday, according to the Tribune’s sources.

The two are considered the top two targets in the search that began after Oliver Purnell resigned earlier this month after five seasons.

DePaul has been a loser for eight straight seasons. However, the school is in the Big East Conference, rated No. 2 in the nation. And the Blue Demons have a track record of paying top dollar. Purnell was receiving a salary of $2.2 million from DePaul.

UB was hoping to lock up Hurley to a renegotiated deal earlier this week, but he opted to see what opportunities were available.

UB has made Hurley its best offer and is not in any further contract negotiations with the coach. UB has offered to increase his salary from $300,000 a year (not counting incentives) to somewhere higher than $550,000. That would make Hurley the highest-paid coach in the Mid-American Conference.

Drew has coached Valparaiso the last four seasons and taken that team to the NCAA Tournament twice.

Meanwhile, other high-profile coaching jobs continue to open, which could create more opportunities for Hurley. St. John’s fired coach Steve Lavin on Friday. There has been speculation that St. John’s could pursue Hurley if it does not first pursue his younger brother, Dan, the coach at Rhode Island.

Elsewhere, Texas on Saturday fired coach Rick Barnes, which could have a ripple effect to other schools. Arizona State is among the other high-profile jobs open.

Bryce has no sources, that statement is completely false.  If he badly wanted it, he would have taken it.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #226 on: March 29, 2015, 02:45:01 PM »
Bryce has no sources, that statement is completely false.  If he badly wanted it, he would have taken it.

Not if DePaul was going to dictate who his staff was and how he would run his program. Not really his program if he isn't in charge of it.

I suspect both wanted the job, but only as long as DePaul was willing to let them actually be in control of the program. You know...like how every other major program does things?

That's why fewer college coaches are making the jump to the NBA, because in college, you not only get excellent money, the coach is also the guy in charge. In the NBA, it's the owner, GM, president, best player, second best player, then maybe if you're lucky, the coach.

Clearly DePaul doesn't understand that in order to make a quality hire, you have to actually hire someone to do the job, not just give them paychecks and tell them what you want done.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #227 on: March 29, 2015, 02:45:47 PM »
At the risk of derailing this thread, I have to say the DePaul situation makes me appreciate Crean a little more.

He deserves to be ripped on for plenty of stuff... but I was on campus when he arrived. The dude was a workhorse and refused to take "no" for an answer. He worked very hard at getting students excited about the team and tried to build energy for the program. He brought a lot of energy and a big time feel to the program. I doubted him for 2 years and laughed at his schtick... but he was right. We COULD sell out the BC, and MU could land big recruits. Never thought I'd see that happen after sitting through some of the Mike Deane era.

kryza

• Team Captain
« Reply #228 on: March 29, 2015, 02:51:45 PM »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #229 on: March 29, 2015, 02:53:41 PM »
Not if DePaul was going to dictate who his staff was and how he would run his program. Not really his program if he isn't in charge of it.

I suspect both wanted the job, but only as long as DePaul was willing to let them actually be in control of the program. You know...like how every other major program does things?

That's why fewer college coaches are making the jump to the NBA, because in college, you not only get excellent money, the coach is also the guy in charge. In the NBA, it's the owner, GM, president, best player, second best player, then maybe if you're lucky, the coach.

Clearly DePaul doesn't understand that in order to make a quality hire, you have to actually hire someone to do the job, not just give them paychecks and tell them what you want done.

This is an uninspiring hire by Depaul to say the very least,  but really, we have no idea why Hurley or Drew didn't want/get the job.
Could be that, for whatever insane reason, JLP preferred Leitao. The rest about DePaul not letting the coach pick his assistant, denying him control, etc., is really just speculation.
I don't think Purnell would have left Clemson for DePaul under those circumstances, so I'd be surprised if they were in place now.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #230 on: March 29, 2015, 03:00:20 PM »
This is an uninspiring hire by Depaul to say the very least,  but really, we have no idea why Hurley or Drew didn't want/get the job.
Could be that, for whatever insane reason, JLP preferred Leitao. The rest about DePaul not letting the coach pick his assistant, denying him control, etc., is really just speculation.
I don't think Purnell would have left Clemson for DePaul under those circumstances, so I'd be surprised if they were in place now.

Roy Schmidt tweeted earlier this week that LoVett would be on campus and indicated the new coach would have an impact on his recruitment. He then tweeted this out today:

Quote from: Roy Schmidt
OK--others won't say it but one thing Leitao's hiring is all about: improving DePaul's chances of landing a certain prized 2015 recruit.

Later, he tweeted this...

Quote from: Roy Schmidt
Never said Leitao is tied to any recruit but one of the current DePaul assistants who he is likely to retain is.

I know that Garrett Sr was handling LoVett's recruitment. LoVett is the top available Illinois prospect for 2015 and on campus this weekend. It's obvious that he's talking about LoVett. Also obvious that Leitao is willing to keep Garrett.

Further, Drew makes about $300K. He reportedly wanted the DePaul job bad. Why? They would probably start him around $2M. New arena coming, it was a dream situation for him. Same goes for Hurley, who was slated to make $550K if he returned to Buffalo.

But neither took the job. Why not? Well, as mentioned above, DePaul wants a certain recruit, and they need a certain assistant to land that recruit. I'll admit some speculation, but those are some pretty easy looking dots to connect.

Now imagine if they still don't land LoVett. DePaul could really be left looking bad out of this. Well, I suppose that goes without saying, but much worse than they do now, especially if Leitao doesn't bring them back to prominence.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #231 on: March 29, 2015, 03:00:56 PM »
As I was saying:

Shannon Ryan @sryantribune
Both Hurley and especially Drew wanted the DePaul job badly, sources say. Blue Demons made surprise move and offered former coach Leitao.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #232 on: March 29, 2015, 03:05:55 PM »
But neither took the job. Why not? Well, as mentioned above, DePaul wants a certain recruit, and they need a certain assistant to land that recruit. I'll admit some speculation, but those are some pretty easy looking dots to connect.

Now imagine if they still don't land LoVett. DePaul could really be left looking bad out of this. Well, I suppose that goes without saying, but much worse than they do now, especially if Leitao doesn't bring them back to prominence.

Why are you assuming the job was Hurley's or Drew's to take? There's zero evidence of that.

It's way more plausible that JLP went with someone with whom she was familiar and who had a modicum of success at DePaul, rather than hired who she believed to be a lesser candidate for the sake of a single borderline top 100 recruit. It's even more likely that JLP couldn't pick Marcus Lovett from out of a crowd than she is to be making coaching decisions based on him.

Again, it's a lame hire, but I'm not buying the conspiracy theory.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #233 on: March 29, 2015, 03:13:23 PM »
So, they make this hire in some regards based upon a possible commitment from the 92nd ranked 2015 recruit?  Maybe if it was Jaylen Brown, Malik Neuman or Thon Maker or combination of some.  But Lovett?  Something is wrong with that, even to be considered in the hiring if true. 

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #234 on: March 29, 2015, 03:16:15 PM »
Why are you assuming the job was Hurley's or Drew's to take? There's zero evidence of that.

It's way more plausible that JLP went with someone with whom she was familiar and who had a modicum of success at DePaul, rather than hired who she believed to be a lesser candidate for the sake of a single borderline top 100 recruit. It's even more likely that JLP couldn't pick Marcus Lovett from out of a crowd than she is to be making coaching decisions based on him.

Again, it's a lame hire, but I'm not buying the conspiracy theory.

WSCR, WBBM, Roy Schmidt all reported that Drew turned down DePaul's initial offer. Drew absolutely could have had the job. Also been reported that they came back with a counter-offer which he turned down.

Numerous reports as well that Hurley turned them down. It's not the money. These guys were making 25% or less what Purnell was making. It has to be something else. What, if not the Garrett thing that Schmidt is reporting?

Not everyone like Roy and Harv, but when it comes to Illinois hoops, they are usually right.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #235 on: March 29, 2015, 03:19:30 PM »
As I was saying:

Shannon Ryan @sryantribune
Both Hurley and especially Drew wanted the DePaul job badly, sources say. Blue Demons made surprise move and offered former coach Leitao.

Ryan reported that an hour ago.

Four hours ago, WBBM reported that DePaul had upped their offer after Drew initially turned them down. Three hours ago, Schmidt reported that Drew declined them as well. The job was Drew's for the taking. It was before they took a left turn and went retread.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #236 on: March 29, 2015, 03:19:55 PM »
Roy Schmidt tweeted earlier this week that LoVett would be on campus and indicated the new coach would have an impact on his recruitment. He then tweeted this out today:

Later, he tweeted this...

I know that Garrett Sr was handling LoVett's recruitment. LoVett is the top available Illinois prospect for 2015 and on campus this weekend. It's obvious that he's talking about LoVett. Also obvious that Leitao is willing to keep Garrett.

Further, Drew makes about $300K. He reportedly wanted the DePaul job bad. Why? They would probably start him around $2M. New arena coming, it was a dream situation for him. Same goes for Hurley, who was slated to make $550K if he returned to Buffalo.

There is no way DePaul is offering $2 million to these guys. If so, collect the cash!!!
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #237 on: March 29, 2015, 03:21:57 PM »
WSCR, WBBM, Roy Schmidt all reported that Drew turned down DePaul's initial offer. Drew absolutely could have had the job. Also been reported that they came back with a counter-offer which he turned down.

Numerous reports as well that Hurley turned them down. It's not the money. These guys were making 25% or less what Purnell was making. It has to be something else. What, if not the Garrett thing that Schmidt is reporting?

Not everyone like Roy and Harv, but when it comes to Illinois hoops, they are usually right.

Plenty of others - Tribune, Sun-Times -  have said Hurley and Drew wanted to job. I follow the Schmidt's on Twitter, too. Let's sjust way they're not averse to positing conspiracy theories.
You're free to believe what you want, but I'm sticking with Occam's razor here.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #238 on: March 29, 2015, 03:26:54 PM »
If Garrett sticks, there's going to be a ton of stink on this.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #239 on: March 29, 2015, 03:31:11 PM »
If Garrett sticks, there's going to be a ton of stink on this.

Wouldn't be the first time a coach kept an assistant coach from the previous staff, especially one with recruiting ties (i.e. Bruce Weber kept Wayne McClain after Bill Self bolted for Kansas).

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #240 on: March 29, 2015, 03:56:02 PM »
So Chicos, does the five year rule need to be continuous?

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #241 on: March 29, 2015, 04:03:39 PM »
Hopefully he makes Drake Diener an assistant.
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #242 on: March 29, 2015, 04:05:47 PM »
DePaul's Hiroshima continues.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #243 on: March 29, 2015, 04:22:22 PM »
So Chicos, does the five year rule need to be continuous?

Great question.

I'm in car heading to Tahoe to ski and the sports show I am listening to is beside themselves with this hire.  Not sure what to make of it.  Certainly counter to what one would think.  Has some strong Chicago ties from last go around?  Interesting, but certainly screams they couldn't get anyone.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #244 on: March 29, 2015, 04:28:46 PM »
Great question.

I'm in car heading to Tahoe to ski and the sports show I am listening to is beside themselves with this hire.  Not sure what to make of it.  Certainly counter to what one would think.  Has some strong Chicago ties from last go around?  Interesting, but certainly screams they couldn't get anyone.

As I recall, his Chicago recruiting wasn't all that stellar. Most of his best recruits (Meija, Chandler, Burns) came from out of state.
His best Chicago recruit may have been the very large Wesley Green, who he may or may not have swiped from MU, depending which story you believe.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #245 on: March 29, 2015, 05:10:55 PM »
This is not just a bad hire, it's embarrassing. He was marginally successful when he was there and not at all after he left. It's borderline unbelievable. Holy Cross made a better hire with Bill Carmody!!

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #246 on: March 29, 2015, 05:18:16 PM »
It's really worth going to the @DePaulAthletics Twitter feed and looking at the reaction. Every single response is negative, and numerous boosters saying they planned to donate with the announcement, but will not give the university another cent until JLP is fired. Just disgraceful by DePaul.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #247 on: March 29, 2015, 05:20:59 PM »
Great question.

Pick up trucks have radios? Go figure, hey?  ;D
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #248 on: March 29, 2015, 06:00:22 PM »
DePaul's Hiroshima continues.

"DePaul rehires Dave Leitao"

« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 06:03:27 PM by Dr. Blackheart »

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #249 on: March 29, 2015, 06:00:59 PM »
@prepbullseye: Hearing Bryce Drew declined DePaul's initial offer. Bobby Hurley mustn't have been offered at all based on my prior intel. What happens now?

My guess is Drew is the top target but wants DePaul to prove their commitment to the program. Hate hearing Leitao's name. Bad sign if they go back to their own retreads.

Leitao isn't a DePaul retread, he decided to leave there to move up, Leitao is a Virginia retread, however.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.