'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by The Lens
[Today at 05:12:28 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: DePaul Coaching Search  (Read 109501 times)

HutchwasClutch

• All American
Re: DePaul Coaching Search
« Reply #200 on: March 29, 2015, 09:23:52 AM »
Boy, B. Hurley better land another job, because I don't see he can go back to Buffalo with any credibility anymore when it's clear and public knowledge now that he wants to move up.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 09:25:24 AM by HutchwasClutch »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #201 on: March 29, 2015, 09:29:37 AM »
Boy, B. Hurley better land another job, because I don't see he can go back to Buffalo with any credibility anymore when it's clear and public knowledge now that he wants to move up.

Don't you think everyone associated with Buffalo already knows this?

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #202 on: March 29, 2015, 09:33:52 AM »

Don't you think everyone associated with Buffalo already knows this?

Of course, but now recruits, parents of recruits, other schools competing against him for players, etc. know it as well.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #203 on: March 29, 2015, 11:52:00 AM »
@prepbullseye: Hearing Bryce Drew declined DePaul's initial offer. Bobby Hurley mustn't have been offered at all based on my prior intel. What happens now?

My guess is Drew is the top target but wants DePaul to prove their commitment to the program. Hate hearing Leitao's name. Bad sign if they go back to their own retreads.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #204 on: March 29, 2015, 12:20:04 PM »
@prepbullseye: Hearing Bryce Drew declined DePaul's initial offer. Bobby Hurley mustn't have been offered at all based on my prior intel. What happens now?

My guess is Drew is the top target but wants DePaul to prove their commitment to the program. Hate hearing Leitao's name. Bad sign if they go back to their own retreads.

Man, how low is DePaul if they have to beg a guy like Byrce Drew to take the job?

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #205 on: March 29, 2015, 12:21:50 PM »
Leitao is not a good name to hear if you're a DePaul fan.

Doesn't sound energetic. at. all.
SS Marquette

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #206 on: March 29, 2015, 12:25:33 PM »
Man, how low is DePaul if they have to beg a guy like Byrce Drew to take the job?

I'm sure they are offering enough. DePaul can probably sextuple his salary without blinking. The new arena is another nice carrot, but what about recruiting resources, ability to hire top assistants, updated on-campus facilities, and other financial commitments that will ensure the coach can be successful, not just wealthy? If I had to guess, I'd say that's probably the hang-up. JLP seems to think she can just plug someone into the job and ignore men's basketball. Someone like Drew is smart enough to know that he'll need administration to continually back him, not just sign his checks, if he wants to succeed.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #207 on: March 29, 2015, 12:32:17 PM »
I'm sure that Crean demanded and received the same type commitments from Wild and Cords.  Drew would be nuts not to be concerned. 
He will be in demand next year too.  If he signs a 4 year deal at DPU with no upgrade in commitment, he's stuck.  Wait a year for a real opportunity.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #208 on: March 29, 2015, 01:16:03 PM »
Andy Katz reporting DePaul is working out a deal with Dave Leitao and barring hiccups, he will return as head coach  :o

T.V. Diener 34

• All American

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #210 on: March 29, 2015, 01:17:41 PM »

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #211 on: March 29, 2015, 01:24:01 PM »

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #212 on: March 29, 2015, 01:29:16 PM »
If it's true that Hurley and Drew were interested, this is an even worse hire. I'm shocked. Although it's DePaul, so ineptitude should be expected.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #213 on: March 29, 2015, 02:07:36 PM »
If this is somebody's joke, it ain't funny...

JLP strikes again.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #214 on: March 29, 2015, 02:16:45 PM »
Here's what I suspect...

It was reported that Bryce Drew turned down the initial DePaul offer. I don't think it was money, so what else? Well, Marcus LoVett is on campus this weekend. Billy Garrett Sr is handling his recruitment.

Supposedly DePaul feels they have a lot at stake with LoVett. If Drew wanted all his own assistants, DePaul might lose not only Garrett Sr, but Garrett Jr and LoVett.

So instead, they hire Leitao, who they already know on past history will put up with their crap, he keeps Garrett, they keep their roster and prized recruit (not that LoVett is much of a prize).

That's my guess.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #215 on: March 29, 2015, 02:20:15 PM »
Here's what I suspect...

It was reported that Bryce Drew turned down the initial DePaul offer. I don't think it was money, so what else? Well, Marcus LoVett is on campus this weekend. Billy Garrett Sr is handling his recruitment.

Supposedly DePaul feels they have a lot at stake with LoVett. If Drew wanted all his own assistants, DePaul might lose not only Garrett Sr, but Garrett Jr and LoVett.

So instead, they hire Leitao, who they already know on past history will put up with their crap, he keeps Garrett, they keep their roster and prized recruit (not that LoVett is much of a prize).

That's my guess.

That's quite the theory. Wanna hear mine? JLP sucks at her job.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #216 on: March 29, 2015, 02:20:47 PM »
That's quite the theory. Wanna hear mine? JLP sucks at her job.

I think you are both right. 

mumagz84

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #217 on: March 29, 2015, 02:22:44 PM »
Here's what I suspect...

That's my guess.

If this is true, very short-sighted by DePaul IMO.  Although, I guess for a program that has not been relevant in years, grasping at straws is what they fall back to.  Strange, when Hurley is available.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #218 on: March 29, 2015, 02:25:03 PM »
Here's what I suspect...

That's my guess.

And it's reasons like this, if true, why DePaul will never be successful under current leadership.  You don't make decisions regarding your program based on one player, one recruit, one assistant coach.  You make decisions that is in the best interest for your program.

Last year, after Buzz left, there was very real concern that guys like Duane, JJJ, Mayo, Taylor, Hill, Shayok, Pierce, et all would leave.  However, we all knew that they new coach would bring in players that were best for the program, whether they were on the team or not.  Wojo definitely lost alot of players in the last 12 months, but I think we can all agree that we are better off today than we were 12 months ago.  

The good news is that we will continue to have great shot at going 2-0 against DePaul with regularity in the future.

AlumKCof93

• All American
« Reply #219 on: March 29, 2015, 02:26:42 PM »
Here's what I suspect...

That's my guess.

That might be true, but if that's the case, why fire Purnell?
"Yes, Dinnertime!  The perfect break between work and drunk" - Homer J. Simpson

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #220 on: March 29, 2015, 02:27:54 PM »
DePaul is an embarrassment to the league. I guess every conference needs some bottom-feeders though

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #221 on: March 29, 2015, 02:28:40 PM »
To quote F. Scott Fitzgerald:

It is sadder to find the past again and find it inadequate to the present than it is to have it elude you and remain forever a harmonious conception of memory.

DFW HOYA

• Team Captain
« Reply #222 on: March 29, 2015, 02:32:13 PM »
A new coach puts JLP's leadership at risk. Solution: Hire an old coach who isn't named Meyer.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #223 on: March 29, 2015, 02:35:06 PM »
That might be true, but if that's the case, why fire Purnell?

Two reasons. First, results weren't good enough to justify keeping him. Second, they thought they could get someone young to energize the program that wouldn't upset the applecart. Their last two hires were pushovers in Purnell and Wainright, probably figured they could find another pushover.

Basically, what ChitownJuan said: JLP sucks at her job.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #224 on: March 29, 2015, 02:37:50 PM »
If this is somebody's joke, it ain't funny...

JLP strikes again.

They have a guarantee on attendance in the new arena...this ain't going to help ticket sales. DePaul drew all season (16 games) what MU drew in two (2) big games.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/20150302/BLOGS04/150229828/depaul-hoops-attendance-up-but-way-below-mcpier-projections

feedback