[Today at 10:10:34 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by tower912
[Today at 09:58:46 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Viper
[Today at 09:52:10 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by MU Fan in Connecticut
[Today at 09:25:35 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: DePaul Coaching Search  (Read 109508 times)

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
Re: DePaul Coaching Search
« Reply #175 on: March 27, 2015, 01:02:55 PM »
Does it seem like Depaul is taking an unusually long time to pick a new head coach? It's been two weeks since Purnell "resigned."  I have to think the decision is coming in the next 3 days.

Don't most get a new hire within a week to 10 days?   MU did it in less than 2 weeks and then had an interim AD and rushed the announcement of the new President to get it done.

High expectations, low resources, and Jean Lenti-Ponsetto.  Just like with the Purnell hire, they are probably surprised at the lack of interest.  They'll probably end up with someone looking for a few more big paydays before retirement.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #176 on: March 27, 2015, 01:07:15 PM »
High expectations, low resources, and Jean Lenti-Ponsetto.  Just like with the Purnell hire, they are probably surprised at the lack of interest.  They'll probably end up with someone looking for a few more big paydays before retirement.

It's probably simply taking that long to plow through the gargantuan pile of stellar resumes that started pouring in the minute Purnell announced his resignation.
Have some patience, FFS.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #177 on: March 27, 2015, 01:07:40 PM »
Bumstead crapped the Texas bed when he bolted for Va Tech.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #178 on: March 27, 2015, 01:11:08 PM »
It's probably simply taking that long to plow through the gargantuan pile of stellar resumes that started pouring in the minute Purnell announced his resignation.

my bad

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #179 on: March 27, 2015, 01:17:30 PM »
Does it seem like Depaul is taking an unusually long time to pick a new head coach? It's been two weeks since Purnell "resigned."  I have to think the decision is coming in the next 3 days.

Don't most get a new hire within a week to 10 days?   MU did it in less than 2 weeks and then had an interim AD and rushed the announcement of the new President to get it done.

Look, I know it's DePaul so I am probably misguided for giving them the benefit of the doubt...

But really there is no reason to rush this.  Make the right choice.  Someone who fits the program and has a vision for how to get it right in the long term.  It's not as though they have a stellar recruiting class coming in, or is danger of a ton of quality players transferring.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #180 on: March 27, 2015, 01:34:18 PM »

Look, I know it's DePaul so I am probably misguided for giving them the benefit of the doubt...

But really there is no reason to rush this.  Make the right choice.  Someone who fits the program and has a vision for how to get it right in the long term.  It's not as though they have a stellar recruiting class coming in, or is danger of a ton of quality players transferring.

...and they don't have a top flight candidate that they want to lockup...

It's DePaul, dude.  They are under few years under a bad to so so hire away from having the light go on and starting to fix things.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #181 on: March 27, 2015, 01:39:22 PM »
Hokies' fans feared this.
Perhaps, I should have used teal. Good grief.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #182 on: March 27, 2015, 01:42:30 PM »
DePaul thinks it is too good to hire a top assistant and it can't find any big-league coaches who want to go there, so they end up hiring the Purnells and Wainwrights and Kennedys.

They never would have hired O'Neill or Crean or Buzz. Or Wojo, for that matter. Because they are caught up in the same thing that some Marquette fans were: "We're a big-boy school and we have to make a big-boy hire."
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #183 on: March 27, 2015, 01:45:52 PM »
Steve Lavin is available.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #184 on: March 27, 2015, 01:47:07 PM »
Steve Lavin is available.

He'd fit right in with their recent history of hires.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Fullodds

• All American
« Reply #185 on: March 28, 2015, 10:28:36 AM »
If you know Purnell is gone for past 3 month (minimum) you should have already had a list of candidates that you've vetted and know wheyher their interested.  When you pull the trigger on Purnell you should be interviewing and making an offer to your to candidate.

I've heard that JLP may either be retiring or taking a leave of absence -- this may be slowing down their advance on a head coach.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #186 on: March 28, 2015, 10:30:32 AM »
DePaul thinks it is too good to hire a top assistant and it can't find any big-league coaches who want to go there, so they end up hiring the Purnells and Wainwrights and Kennedys.

They never would have hired O'Neill or Crean or Buzz. Or Wojo, for that matter. Because they are caught up in the same thing that some Marquette fans were: "We're a big-boy school and we have to make a big-boy hire."

That didn't stop MU from trying to be a big boy school each time....we just failed at it and moved on.  We should try to be a big boy school and not on the job training program.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #187 on: March 28, 2015, 10:43:02 AM »
That didn't stop MU from trying to be a big boy school each time....we just failed at it and moved on.  We should try to be a big boy school and not on the job training program.

I agree with statement no. 1.

Statement no. 2-
a) It's worked for us very well going the assistant route.
b) MU can't help the landscape of college athletics today.  We're a relatively small (compared to the state universities), private, institution.  I don't know what you think MU could have done differently over the years to keep coaches here.  We've paid them very well, invested heavily in the men's basketball program, etc.  We all know it chapter and verse.  MU has done everything in their power to keep the O'Neill's and Crean's, who brought us up from darn near the ashes, and a lot of sustained success.  

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #188 on: March 28, 2015, 11:27:03 AM »

Statement no. 2-
b) MU can't help the landscape of college athletics today.  We're a relatively small (compared to the state universities), private, institution.  I don't know what you think MU could have done differently over the years to keep coaches here.  We've paid them very well, invested heavily in the men's basketball program, etc.  We all know it chapter and verse.  MU has done everything in their power to keep the O'Neill's and Crean's, who brought us up from darn near the ashes, and a lot of sustained success. 

In part, the problems that lead to Buzz's and O'Neil's departure were related to relationships with the administration.  Even Al wasn't terribly pleased too.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #189 on: March 28, 2015, 11:30:16 AM »

Statement no. 2-
b) MU can't help the landscape of college athletics today.  We're a relatively small (compared to the state universities), private, institution.  I don't know what you think MU could have done differently over the years to keep coaches here.  We've paid them very well, invested heavily in the men's basketball program, etc.  We all know it chapter and verse.  MU has done everything in their power to keep the O'Neill's and Crean's, who brought us up from darn near the ashes, and a lot of sustained success.  

I prefer not to have the roll dice every 5 years, that's all.  The current fortune we have had with assistants will not last forever.  On the flip side, not every established coach works out either. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #190 on: March 28, 2015, 11:34:24 AM »
Current Elite 8 coaches and when they started their gig with their current school:

Coach K, 1980
Izzo, 1995
Few, 1999
Brey, 2000
Pitino, 2001
Ryan, 2001
Calipari, 2009
Miller, 2009

Stability matters.  The shortest tenure is five years.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #191 on: March 28, 2015, 11:56:20 AM »
while I was not at all surprised to see him out of St. John's, isn't Lavin a no brained for DePaul (at least from their perspective)?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #192 on: March 28, 2015, 12:16:17 PM »
while I was not at all surprised to see him out of St. John's, isn't Lavin a no brained for DePaul (at least from their perspective)?

If they go for Lavin (totally a typical DePaul hire) it would show they haven't learned anything from marginally successful retread hires of the past. Really sounding like Drew is their first choice and Hurley their second.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #193 on: March 28, 2015, 12:36:59 PM »
One thing that could explain the wait is that Depaul has its sights on a coach who is still in the tourney.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #194 on: March 28, 2015, 12:44:09 PM »
If they go for Lavin (totally a typical DePaul hire) it would show they haven't learned anything from marginally successful retread hires of the past. Really sounding like Drew is their first choice and Hurley their second.

They May be their first choices, but that doesn't mean much. Guessing Olver Purnell would have liked to get commitments from Jalil Okahfor and Karl Anthony Townes too. Gotta hire a guy you can get.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #195 on: March 28, 2015, 12:46:18 PM »
They should be able to get Drew for sure.  Hurley perhaps.  For as much as a dumpster fire as DePaul is, it is a significant upgrade for both of them.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #196 on: March 29, 2015, 12:40:09 AM »
DePaul is completely out of ideas and probably has no one that is interested.

Sad

DePaul evaluating Dave Leitao
Updated: March 28, 2015, 10:48 PM ET

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12579222/depaul-blue-demons-seriously-considering-bringing-back-dave-leitao-coach

The DePaul Blue Demons have interviewed Tulsa Golden Hurricane assistant coach Dave Leitao and are seriously considering hiring back the former head coach, multiple sources told ESPN.

Leitao was the Blue Demons' coach for three seasons from 2002 to '05. He took DePaul to one NCAA tournament, a round-of-32 finish in 2004, and two NITs. Leitao was 58-34 at DePaul.

He jumped to Virginia in 2005-06 but resigned after four lackluster seasons, a 63-60 overall record and only one NCAA tournament appearance.

Since then, Leitao has been an assistant at Missouri and Tulsa. He moved to the Golden Hurricane in 2014 when head coach Frank Haith made the same jump.

Leitao also was a head coach at Northeastern for two seasons in the 1990s, going 22-35 overall, between stints as an assistant under Jim Calhoun at Connecticut.

DePaul finished 12-20 (6-12 Big East) this season, leading to Oliver Purnell's resignation earlier this month.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #197 on: March 29, 2015, 12:48:01 AM »
If Leitao passes does DePaul bring Wainwright out of retirement?

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #198 on: March 29, 2015, 07:03:40 AM »
If Leitao passes does DePaul bring Wainwright out of retirement?
How about this: If DePaul can bring back Leitao after jumping to Va., then MU is totally justified to bring back Buzzster after jumping to Va. Tech. It would sure make 8 people on this board ecstatic, and they know who they are!
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #199 on: March 29, 2015, 08:30:17 AM »
If they pass on Drew and/or Hurley for Leitao, kick them out of the BE.

Report: Hurley wants DePaul job ‘badly’

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/ub-mens-basketball/report-hurley-wants-depaul-job-badly-20150328

The University at Buffalo was in a wait-and-see mode this weekend as the pursuit of men’s basketball coach Bobby Hurley heated up and the college basketball coaching moves continued.

DePaul University has strong interest in Hurley, and the UB coach was seen in Chicago’s O’Hare Airport on Saturday.

The Chicago Tribune reported that Valparaiso coach Bryce Drew and Hurley each want the DePaul men’s basketball job “badly,” according to a source. Hurley was scheduled to interview on Saturday and Drew on Sunday, according to the Tribune’s sources.

The two are considered the top two targets in the search that began after Oliver Purnell resigned earlier this month after five seasons.

DePaul has been a loser for eight straight seasons. However, the school is in the Big East Conference, rated No. 2 in the nation. And the Blue Demons have a track record of paying top dollar. Purnell was receiving a salary of $2.2 million from DePaul.

UB was hoping to lock up Hurley to a renegotiated deal earlier this week, but he opted to see what opportunities were available.

UB has made Hurley its best offer and is not in any further contract negotiations with the coach. UB has offered to increase his salary from $300,000 a year (not counting incentives) to somewhere higher than $550,000. That would make Hurley the highest-paid coach in the Mid-American Conference.

Drew has coached Valparaiso the last four seasons and taken that team to the NCAA Tournament twice.

Meanwhile, other high-profile coaching jobs continue to open, which could create more opportunities for Hurley. St. John’s fired coach Steve Lavin on Friday. There has been speculation that St. John’s could pursue Hurley if it does not first pursue his younger brother, Dan, the coach at Rhode Island.

Elsewhere, Texas on Saturday fired coach Rick Barnes, which could have a ripple effect to other schools. Arizona State is among the other high-profile jobs open.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 08:33:01 AM by Heisenberg »