[Today at 04:05:24 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by cheebs09
[Today at 04:00:16 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by NickelDimer
[Today at 03:31:19 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: DePaul Coaching Search  (Read 109494 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Re: DePaul Coaching Search
« Reply #150 on: March 26, 2015, 04:57:24 PM »
He was an exec at Spears, Leeds, & Kellogg when Goldman purchased them, but he's not affiliated with Goldman in Chicago.  He's one of the group that owns the Tampa Rays though.

Him being in Chicago makes a lot of sense.  Fantastically wealthy, but super low profile and limited information around him.

That house is AWESOME looking though.  Looks crazy from the street.

Tim Mullen ... Guy got two huge pay days, one from First Options and the other from Spear Leeds.  I though right after the merger of Spear and Goldman he was listed as the head of Goldman's Chicago office (maybe Goldman has more than one "head of office")

He is one of Rahm and Obama's biggest donors.

http://chicago.curbed.com/archives/2014/05/08/inside-the-most-expensive-home-in-chicago-right-now.php

According to Crain's, the estate which sits on four city lots at 1955 N. Burling Street is currently owned by Tim Mullen, an independent investor and big time Democratic campaign contributor. The sprawling estate has dethroned Ann Lurie's monster manse as the city's most expensive, but will it sell before it hits the MLS next month, or will it languish on the market for months without any bites? We'll have to wait and see.

----------

You'd think with all these sports owners and zillionaires living just a few yards off Depaul's campus, the could find some to take interest like Dick Strong.  heck they should have 5 Dick Strongs.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #151 on: March 26, 2015, 05:14:56 PM »
The late Robert Bernard
Very good.  He was one of my favorite clients.

As I remember it, Tim Mullen paid cash for that house.  He bought the lot next door to make the property 5 lots. I'm guessing he put other money in over the years, but that's a nice return on his investment if he gets what he's asking for it.  Good for him.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #152 on: March 26, 2015, 05:31:58 PM »
Tim Mullen ... Guy got two huge pay days, one from First Options and the other from Spear Leeds.  I though right after the merger of Spear and Goldman he was listed as the head of Goldman's Chicago office (maybe Goldman has more than one "head of office")

The only head of the Chicago office that I ever remember recently is Byron Trott, aka Buffett's I-banker.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #153 on: March 26, 2015, 06:00:53 PM »
Back on topic...Marcus Lovett is visiting DePaul this weekend. Maybe LoVett knows who the next coach will be?

Or is DePaul so desperate for another top-100 kid that they'll let LoVett sit in on the interview process? ;D
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #154 on: March 26, 2015, 06:20:33 PM »
Why would the MU prez wanna visit DPaul?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MUsoxfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #155 on: March 26, 2015, 07:21:09 PM »
The late Robert Bernard

That guy was great. I was really bummed out when he died. I always assumed blow was a major factor

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #156 on: March 27, 2015, 07:02:41 AM »
Tennessee also looking for a coach now. Donnie Tyndall was fired this morning.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #157 on: March 27, 2015, 07:04:36 AM »

After one season?

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #158 on: March 27, 2015, 07:06:57 AM »
After one season?

I thought the same thing. It looks like the NCAA is investigating him for issues at Southern Miss. It sounds like they've decided on penalties.

http://zagsblog.com/articles/tennessee-fires-donnie-tyndall/

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #159 on: March 27, 2015, 07:15:41 AM »
After one season?

He had an NCAA investigation follow him from USM. Tennessee hired him anyway. Guess they didn't get enough of that with Bruce Pearl.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #160 on: March 27, 2015, 07:29:05 AM »

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #161 on: March 27, 2015, 07:30:56 AM »

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #162 on: March 27, 2015, 07:47:21 AM »
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12566848/texas-longhorns-mulling-rick-barnes-job-status

and Barnes is now under the gun at Texas........

Pretty sure he won't be able to make any notable improvements in the next few days before the buyout drops...

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #163 on: March 27, 2015, 08:34:28 AM »

The AD should be fired as well. Anyone who follows college ball knew Southern Miss was dirty as crap under Tyndell. Downright incompetence for Hart to hire him to Tennessee.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #164 on: March 27, 2015, 08:35:18 AM »
Hokies' fans feared this.

I don't think there is much chance that Texas would go for Buzz.  IMO they shoot higher than that.  

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #165 on: March 27, 2015, 08:44:20 AM »

I don't think there is much chance that Texas would go for Buzz.  IMO they shoot higher than that.  

I've got to believe Longhorn Nation would go ballistic with a Buzz hire.  Some serious questions all around about him now, his weird pesonality and leading a high major program.  We've all micro analyzed it, but they haven't, and they would not be happy with all the red flags on him his hiring would raise.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #166 on: March 27, 2015, 08:50:51 AM »
I've got to believe Longhorn Nation would go ballistic with a Buzz hire.  Some serious questions all around about him now, his weird pesonality and leading a high major program.  We've all micro analyzed it, but they haven't, and they would not be happy with all the red flags on him his hiring would raise.

Yeah, Texas doesn't take chances on coaches that are quirky.  I think they try to reach out to a Thad Matta...Sean Miller...John Belein...Billy Donovan...

They may not get them, but as the Charlie Strong hire shows, proven coach, straight laced.  They have a lot to offer with their resources so you don't know.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #167 on: March 27, 2015, 09:08:34 AM »
I was bored the other day and read a thread on a Texas message board about who they wanted as a coach. There were multiple pages, and Buzz's name didn't show up once. Greg Marshall was a popular one. Granted, somewhat unlikely based on Sultan's post. Archie Miller and Shaka were the other two big ones.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #168 on: March 27, 2015, 11:52:32 AM »
Does it seem like Depaul is taking an unusually long time to pick a new head coach? It's been two weeks since Purnell "resigned."  I have to think the decision is coming in the next 3 days.

Don't most get a new hire within a week to 10 days?   MU did it in less than 2 weeks and then had an interim AD and rushed the announcement of the new President to get it done.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #169 on: March 27, 2015, 12:18:55 PM »
Does it seem like Depaul is taking an unusually long time to pick a new head coach? It's been two weeks since Purnell "resigned."  I have to think the decision is coming in the next 3 days.

Don't most get a new hire within a week to 10 days?   MU did it in less than 2 weeks and then had an interim AD and rushed the announcement of the new President to get it done.

Not very long. They just scheduled their meetings for tomorrow, so they aren't really hiring someone without an interview. I expect to hear something from Saturday. Especially since LoVett is visiting right around that time too. I imagine that is not coincidence.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #170 on: March 27, 2015, 12:22:44 PM »

Probably need to wait for Izzo to finish coaching in the tournament, aina?

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #171 on: March 27, 2015, 12:28:21 PM »
If Buzz was coming off 2 more good seasons at MU, I could see UT being interested.

I know they will set their sights extremely high, and they can pay a TON of $, but as we have seen with some recent searches (UCLA being an example), it's hard/impossible to pull the top guys away from good gigs.

If not for the VaTech move, Buzz might have been in that second tier of coaches that are actually attainable for UT.

But, UT isn't going to want to play the underdog card. They want to be top dog. Buzz doesn't necessarily fit in that type of culture... so I don't know if it would be a good fit anyways. I'm not sure that Buzz is really comfortable with top dog status.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #172 on: March 27, 2015, 12:39:42 PM »
If Buzz was coming off 2 more good seasons at MU, I could see UT being interested.

I know they will set their sights extremely high, and they can pay a TON of $, but as we have seen with some recent searches (UCLA being an example), it's hard/impossible to pull the top guys away from good gigs.

If not for the VaTech move, Buzz might have been in that second tier of coaches that are actually attrightble for UT.

But, UT isn't going to want to play the underdog card. They want to be top dog. Buzz doesn't necessarily fit in that type of culture... so I don't know if it would be a good fit anyways. I'm not sure that Buzz is really comfortable with top dog status.

I don't think Buzz and the Texas spotlight are a good fit.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #173 on: March 27, 2015, 12:43:05 PM »
I don't think Buzz and the Texas spotlight are a good fit.
What spotlight?  Texas is first and foremost a FB school.  BB lingers in its shadows.  That's why Rick Barnes has hung on as long as he has.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #174 on: March 27, 2015, 12:56:45 PM »
What spotlight?  Texas is first and foremost a FB school.  BB lingers in its shadows.  That's why Rick Barnes has hung on as long as he has.

It's still a really big job, even if football is everything there.  A guy like Buzz, who is quirky and a little rough around the edges, is better suited flying under the radar.

feedback