Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: DePaul Coaching Search  (Read 109498 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Re: DePaul Coaching Search
« Reply #275 on: April 01, 2015, 10:17:00 AM »
Roy Schmidt @prepbullseye
Should he come aboard, Tom Kleinschmidt would be invaluable addition to DePaul coaching staff. Would open new doors to recruiting & more.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #276 on: April 01, 2015, 12:51:51 PM »
He'll be teachin' the pick and roll, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #277 on: April 01, 2015, 01:15:15 PM »
Roy Schmidt @prepbullseye
Should he come aboard, Tom Kleinschmidt would be invaluable addition to DePaul coaching staff. Would open new doors to recruiting & more.

Did really good things with York when he was with him and Gordon Tech too. Good friends with my dad, I know high school to college ranks doesnt always go smoothly but he may have been a better choice than Leitao.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #278 on: April 01, 2015, 01:29:32 PM »
Did really good things with York when he was with him and Gordon Tech too. Good friends with my dad, I know high school to college ranks doesnt always go smoothly but he may have been a better choice than Leitao.

Well it is DePaul College Prep now-a-days...
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #279 on: April 01, 2015, 01:31:39 PM »
Well it is DePaul College Prep now-a-days...

Christ, since when? Did not even realize that was a thing.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #280 on: April 01, 2015, 01:35:06 PM »

Last summer
Maigh Eo for Sam

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #281 on: April 01, 2015, 01:38:04 PM »

Yeah, I always forget that.  I think I saw something 6 months ago and was equally surprised.
Maybe it's part of JLP's Master Plan.
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #282 on: April 01, 2015, 01:42:03 PM »
My daughter's first V-Ball game of the fall was against DePaul Prep; was surprised at the time--didn't seem to be much fanfare.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #283 on: May 21, 2015, 07:09:45 AM »
So a big part of hiring Dave Leitao was supposedly helping DePaul land coveted Chicago PG Marcus LoVett Jr. LoVett was visiting DePaul the weekend Leitao was hired and the coach hire was supposed to seal the deal.

I'll be the first to say that you should NEVER hire a coach for one recruit, but even worse is when you hire a coach for one recruit and LOSE THE RECRUIT ANYWAY!!!

Marcus LoVett signed his NLI with St. John's last night. Classic DePaul...
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #284 on: May 21, 2015, 07:52:26 AM »
So a big part of hiring Dave Leitao was supposedly helping DePaul land coveted Chicago PG Marcus LoVett Jr. LoVett was visiting DePaul the weekend Leitao was hired and the coach hire was supposed to seal the deal.

I'll be the first to say that you should NEVER hire a coach for one recruit, but even worse is when you hire a coach for one recruit and LOSE THE RECRUIT ANYWAY!!!

I think that part of the difficulty in hiring Drew or Hurley was that DePaul was dictating to them that they would have to retain Billy Garrett's dad as an assistant coach, so that DePaul wouldn't lose its best player.  So hiring Leitao at least accomplished that.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #285 on: May 21, 2015, 08:21:25 AM »
I think that part of the difficulty in hiring Drew or Hurley was that DePaul was dictating to them that they would have to retain Billy Garrett's dad as an assistant coach, so that DePaul wouldn't lose its best player.  So hiring Leitao at least accomplished that.

Retaining Billy Garrett Sr was definitely a priority, but the two main reasons for retaining him were keeping Billy Jr on the roster and landing Marcus LoVett. The buzz from Chicago was that DePaul really thought they'd land either Drew or Hurley and LoVett all in the same weekend. Instead, both said no to the job because Sr would be forced on them, Leitao was willing to agree to anything, and in all the chaos, LoVett leaves without committing, then two months later picks St. John's.

It was keeping Garrett Sr as well, but the reason to keep him was for his supposed Chicago recruiting prowess that would reel in top local players like LoVett. Just DePaul's luck, Chicago recruiting looks to be down for both 2016 and 2017, so the guy they made such a fuss to keep will likely have an uphill battle earning his paycheck the next 3 years (after already missing the top Chicago 2015s).

Dumb, dumb DePaul.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #286 on: May 21, 2015, 08:23:58 AM »
Sleeping Giant
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #287 on: May 21, 2015, 08:26:23 AM »
Retaining Billy Garrett Sr was definitely a priority, but the two main reasons for retaining him were keeping Billy Jr on the roster and landing Marcus LoVett. The buzz from Chicago was that DePaul really thought they'd land either Drew or Hurley and LoVett all in the same weekend. Instead, both said no to the job because Sr would be forced on them, Leitao was willing to agree to anything, and in all the chaos, LoVett leaves without committing, then two months later picks St. John's.

It was keeping Garrett Sr as well, but the reason to keep him was for his supposed Chicago recruiting prowess that would reel in top local players like LoVett. Just DePaul's luck, Chicago recruiting looks to be down for both 2016 and 2017, so the guy they made such a fuss to keep will likely have an uphill battle earning his paycheck the next 3 years (after already missing the top Chicago 2015s).

Dumb, dumb DePaul.

The guy's fringe top 100, hardly a reason to hire/not hire a coach. What a joke!

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #288 on: May 21, 2015, 08:45:28 AM »
The guy's fringe top 100, hardly a reason to hire/not hire a coach. What a joke!

Not only is LoVett not worth hiring a coach for, but virtually every major program that got involved ended up backing way off. Arizona, Kansas, Marquette, Memphis, Indiana, USC, Washington, and others all sniffed around but didn't offer (though he committed to Kansas before discovering he didn't have an offer).

In the end, DePaul may end up fortunate they didn't land LoVett. Seems like he's more trouble than he's worth. But when you hire a coach in part to land a "key recruit", you better damn sure get that recruit!

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #289 on: May 21, 2015, 08:49:51 AM »
Sleeping Giant

The Connecticut State Park?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #290 on: May 21, 2015, 09:17:27 AM »
Not a bad player to take a flyer on this late.  He doesn't seem like a screw up, but was having trouble posting a qualifying test score.  If he has done that, he could be a steal for them.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #291 on: May 21, 2015, 09:38:30 AM »
Not only is LoVett not worth hiring a coach for, but virtually every major program that got involved ended up backing way off. Arizona, Kansas, Marquette, Memphis, Indiana, USC, Washington, and others all sniffed around but didn't offer (though he committed to Kansas before discovering he didn't have an offer).

In the end, DePaul may end up fortunate they didn't land LoVett. Seems like he's more trouble than he's worth. But when you hire a coach in part to land a "key recruit", you better damn sure get that recruit!

Did he seriously attempt to commit to Kansas? Lmao
Maigh Eo for Sam

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #292 on: May 21, 2015, 09:41:09 AM »
http://ilprepbullseye.com/LoVet_St._Johns.html
Not a bad player to take a flyer on this late.  He doesn't seem like a screw up, but was having trouble posting a qualifying test score.  If he has done that, he could be a steal for them.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #293 on: May 21, 2015, 09:44:32 AM »
Did he seriously attempt to commit to Kansas? Lmao

Kansas was apparently interested.  Not sure they ever offered though.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #294 on: May 21, 2015, 10:06:29 AM »
Sleeping Giant

The Connecticut State Park?

No, I think the Lens meant the Ontario Provincial Park

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #295 on: May 21, 2015, 02:44:34 PM »

Mullin killin it!

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #296 on: May 21, 2015, 07:47:55 PM »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #297 on: May 21, 2015, 08:10:40 PM »
FIFY

Not sure why, but I googled that phrase and this is what came up.  Not bad.

source?

• All American
« Reply #298 on: May 22, 2015, 11:23:36 AM »
Sleeping Giant

I know this is in teal, but I read this all the time. What does DePaul seriously have other than being in Chicago? Do they even have a practice facility? If we plugged in Loyola tomorrow, would anyone know the difference?

In any event, DePaul gon' DePaul.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #299 on: May 22, 2015, 12:12:01 PM »
I know this is in teal, but I read this all the time. What does DePaul seriously have other than being in Chicago? Do they even have a practice facility? If we plugged in Loyola tomorrow, would anyone know the difference?

In any event, DePaul gon' DePaul.

Largest catholic school in the country, one of the winningest programs all time. Sure they're terrible but I'd rather have a program old people go "wow I remember them being incredible" than a team that has had 1 good year since Coach Ireland had them in the 60s.  Though if Loyola were to join we could boast 4 national championships instead of three.

Seriously though Loyola can't even say they've been screwed over by being mid major as they've only hit the nit 4 times and the CBI once.  Great in the 60s, one good year in 83 and nothing outside of that.
Maigh Eo for Sam

feedback