[Today at 05:59:46 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: DePaul Coaching Search  (Read 109489 times)

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
Re: DePaul Coaching Search
« Reply #250 on: March 29, 2015, 06:04:16 PM »
Is this grounds to dismiss DePaul from the conference?

The last time I can remember thinking that Marquette would be lucky to win against DePaul, Leitao was DePaul's head coach.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #251 on: March 29, 2015, 06:08:57 PM »
That's the problem, Murray. Short term memory is the first to go, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #252 on: March 29, 2015, 06:16:18 PM »
That's the problem, Murray. Short term memory is the first to go, ai na?

You were sweating out the DePaul games this year?  I was surprised that we lost at DePaul in the Big East opener.

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #253 on: March 29, 2015, 06:16:43 PM »
The last time I can remember thinking that Marquette would be lucky to win against DePaul, Leitao was DePaul's head coach.

"You can never step in the same river twice"

We had a lot of success with KO - it doesn't mean it would have been a good idea to rehire him.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 06:21:03 PM by Frenns Liquor Depot »

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #254 on: March 29, 2015, 06:28:33 PM »
"You can never step in the same river twice"

We had a lot of success with KO - it doesn't mean it would have been a good idea to rehire him.

Rehiring Kev may have been our very best option, if Jean Lenti-Ponsetto had been our athletic director.  With Lenti-Ponsetto there, DePaul's options were limited.  Someone has to keep the HC's seat warm until Lenti-Ponsetto's contract extension runs its course.

Will Leitao lift DePaul into the top echelon of the Big East?  No, but it will keep them from finishing in the basement 80% of the time.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 06:32:26 PM by LittleWade »

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #255 on: March 29, 2015, 06:31:16 PM »
Rehiring Kev may have been our very best option, if Jean Lenti-Ponsetto had been our athletic director.  With Lenti-Ponsetto there, DePaul's options were limited.  Someone has to keep the HC's seat warm until Lenti-Ponsetto's contract extension runs its course.

Which proves that this may be cause for dimissal right?  This is a basketball conference.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #256 on: March 29, 2015, 06:34:25 PM »
Which proves that this may be cause for dimissal right?  This is a basketball conference.

From your post to God's the DePaul BOT's collective ears.  Truth be told, though, there's likely a lot of wax in those ears yet.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #257 on: March 29, 2015, 06:36:30 PM »
Someone needs to send them a message. Too bad I'm not more influential.

From your post to God's the DePaul BOT's collective ears.  Truth be told, though, there's likely a lot of wax in those ears yet.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #258 on: March 29, 2015, 06:59:16 PM »

When is the presentation for the next AD of the Year award they're arranging for her to win? 

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #259 on: March 29, 2015, 07:07:35 PM »
Here in Chicago, the hire is being universally panned and mocked, with JLP being front and center.  The fact that the university spent significant $$$ on a search firm to help them find the right candidate (the exact same search firm that recommended Oliver Purnell several years ago) and went against their recommendations (Hurley and Drew were chosen as top candidates) is comically sad. 

The sad reality is the JLP has a job at DePaul for life.  She is so entrenched with DePaul and its current leadership that she will be there for a long time.  But the good news folks is that the women's programs at DePaul, as well as the academic results by student-athletes, are both doing very well. 

DePaul could not care less about Mens Basketball.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #260 on: March 29, 2015, 07:27:35 PM »
How is Leitao an upgrade over Purnell?

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #261 on: March 29, 2015, 08:10:13 PM »
How is Leitao an upgrade over Purnell?

A 63% winning % at DePaul three postseason tournaments in three years at DePaul.

From the Chicago Tribune:

Leitao was 58-34 overall and 30-18 in Conference USA in three seasons as DePaul's coach from 2002-05. He led the Blue Demons to two NIT tournaments and their last NCAA tournament appearance in 2004.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #262 on: March 29, 2015, 08:29:18 PM »
A 63% winning % at DePaul three postseason tournaments in three years at DePaul.

From the Chicago Tribune:

Leitao was 58-34 overall and 30-18 in Conference USA in three seasons as DePaul's coach from 2002-05. He led the Blue Demons to two NIT tournaments and their last NCAA tournament appearance in 2004.

I think bringing him back was/is a terrible idea, but there's no denying he had at least a decent run at DePaul. A good job, even, in the context of what happened before and after him.
Not only did he win some games (and Conference USA one year), he brought in some legitimate talent fans could get excited about, i.e. Sammy Meija, Wilson Chandler.
Way, way better than Purnell.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #263 on: March 29, 2015, 09:44:00 PM »
Since DePaul has joined the Big East, the Blue Demons are 114-200 (.363%).  Their Big East record is 36-137 (.208%).  They have yet to make the NCAA tournament, and they have one NIT appearance.  They have one winning season since joining the conference.

List all the accomplishments you can about Dave Leitao while he was head coach at DePaul.  Fact is, he was there when we (Marquette included) were all still in Conference USA - which means his teams had to beat East Carolina, Tulane, Tulsa, Houston, SMU, USF, UAB and UNC-Charlotte.  The difference is, thanks to Tom Crean and Dwayne Wade, we made that Final Four run in 2003 - something that catapulted us into the Big East.  He, and DePaul have done nothing of consequence in men's basketball since the 1980's.  The only reason DePaul was invited to the Big East was because of the Chicago market - not due to on court success.

Part of the opening plugs that DePaul has released today promoting Leitao and his hire was the fact that he successfully recruited Wilson Chandler, Sammy Meijia and Dorrell Wright to school.  Dorrell Wright - a player that did not play a single minute of basketball at DePaul University.  "Wright signed his NLI with DePaul, but elected to enter the 2004 draft and he was the 19th overall selection by the Miami Heat." The university and athletic department are literally turning over stone after stone to justify the re-hiring of Leitao and create excitement for the program.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #264 on: March 29, 2015, 10:34:51 PM »
Jon Greenberg, ESPN Chicago

HICAGO -- On Sunday afternoon, DePaul managed to do the impossible: It made news during an Elite Eight game.

Sure, it was people on Twitter making fun of its recycled hire of Dave Leitao to coach the men’s basketball program.

It makes sense. Few pay attention to DePaul outside of its farcical coaching searches and arena updates.

The program is so far below the radar in Chicago, none of the media outlets has a regular beat writer covering what is arguably one of the top college basketball programs in the Chicago and/or Rosemont area.

I’m told The DePaulia, the school paper, still covers the team.

Leitao left a plum gig as an assistant at, um, the University of Tulsa, to return to DePaul.

Jerry Wainwright and Oliver Purnell had career-ending stints with the Blue Demons, and now it’s back to Leitao to resurrect the program.

Everyone wanted DePaul to zig and hire a “young” successful coach to breathe life into the stagnant program. With a new downtown arena supposedly opening for the 2017-18 season, it seemed like a good time for the change.

So, of course, DePaul zagged.

Did DePaul pick Leitao over the likes of rising coaches Bobby Hurley and Bryce Drew? Or did the up-and-comers turn down the program? I’ve heard conflicting stories. Both scenarios make sense. Those guys can get better jobs and athletic director Jean Lenti Ponsetto is known for making head-scratching decisions, including using a search firm for this hire.

How will this decision play out? Who knows? A local high school coach laughed on the phone when I called him about Purnell’s hiring five years ago.

From what I've heard, local coaches never took to Leitao, who came from UConn. He didn't make inroads in the city and that hurt the program, preceding Lenti Ponsetto's bad coaching hires.

Before you make the joke, yes, Pat Kennedy was available. His two-year stint at Pace University just ended this month. Next stop for Kennedy, who went from DePaul to Montana to Towson to Pace, is coaching the old cast of “Hang Time.”

At least Kennedy knew how to recruit Chicago. While I thought Hurley would be a good choice because he could land players from the East Coast and Chicago.

Leitao's résumé is good ... for DePaul. He is the last coach to have success at DePaul, fleeing to the University of Virginia before the school made a wholly unsuccessful move from Conference USA to the Big East.

He went 58-34, 30-18 in conference during three years with DePaul. He even won an NCAA tournament game in 2004. But that was Conference USA. He had one good year at Virginia, and after getting fired in 2009, has been a D-League coach and an assistant for Missouri and Tulsa.

“I underestimated what a special place DePaul University and the city of Chicago are when I left here in 2005,” are words attributed to Leitao in the school’s press release.

As are these: “The dedication and support here to the growth of student success is second to none, not only for a basketball program but also for the entire student body. I’m proud and our team will be proud to represent this great institution in one of the world’s great cities. We will exude the work ethic that drives Chicago and the region every day and look forward to everyone joining us next season.”

The press release was so uninspiring, it included a mention that Dorell Wright signed a letter of intent to go to DePaul under Leitao, before going right to the NBA. So they're bragging about guys who didn't go to school under him?

It also included a long quote from women's coach Doug Bruno. I guess they had space to fill?

Old is new again at DePaul, a program that is forever living in the past and never realizing that future.

Fullodds

• All American
« Reply #265 on: March 29, 2015, 10:57:49 PM »
Look for JLP to take a leave of absence or step down -  and not for reasons relating to this hire. 

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #266 on: March 30, 2015, 09:10:12 AM »
This is mind blowingly uninspired. What an utter joke. My god. DePaul is such an embarrassment.
We Are Marquette

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #267 on: March 30, 2015, 09:25:12 AM »

This seems a weird feeling.

Marquette has never had much trouble dispensing DePaul in any generation, much less Leitao's time. I can only remember one game in 2004 they won. Perhaps he had another? Nowhere near a scary proposition beating Leitao's Demons.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #268 on: March 30, 2015, 10:08:11 AM »
This seems a weird feeling.

Marquette has never had much trouble dispensing DePaul in any generation, much less Leitao's time. I can only remember one game in 2004 they won. Perhaps he had another? Nowhere near a scary proposition beating Leitao's Demons.

Leitao went 2-4 vs Marquette.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #269 on: March 30, 2015, 10:09:08 AM »
2002-03 DePaul had a 67 RPI 1st in CUSA; the following season 35, fourth in CUSA.
2003-03 Marquette had an 8 RPI, following season 75.  

They were pretty decent back then.  And I think post-Wade era and the world of Marcus "Point Guard" Jackson (04-05) were just scary times when winning was no longer a given as it was in '03.

Leito's best season happened to coincide with Marquette's best recent year.  In retrospect, it appears that everyone sucked because we were really good.  
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #270 on: March 30, 2015, 03:23:35 PM »
Anyone watching the Leitao press conference? JLP is freaking awful...

http://www.depaulbluedemons.com/collegesportslive/?media=493773
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #271 on: March 30, 2015, 03:25:04 PM »
Looks like Barnes is going to Tenn.  That was fast.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #272 on: March 30, 2015, 03:42:55 PM »
The DePaul press conference is seriously one of the saddest things I've ever seen. Some highlights...
  • Jean Lenti-Ponsetto, when talking about why they hired Leitao, said he beat some good coaches, started listing names of old coaches in C-USA and the ACC. Crean, Huggins, Calipari, Pitino, K, Williams, Brey...it was laughable.
  • "Dave Leitao was our number one choice." Hmm...then why did they make two offers to Bryce Drew before hiring Leitao?
  • JLP "He's friends with lots of Big East coaches." That's a reason for hiring someone? Because they are friends with the competition? Umm...okay.
  • JLP "Two former players sent me emails and had nice things to say (about Leitao)."
  • Leitao said when he left, he told JLP he was going on vacation for 10. She thought he meant days, but he meant years. Okay, that was kind of funny.
  • JLP diminished the importance of fundraising and facilities. Probably a good thing, since this hire drove a ton of donors away from the program.
  • Leitao: "Ultimate goal is to get back in the NCAA Tournament, and we will get there and win and keep winning." I'll believe that when I see it.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #273 on: March 30, 2015, 03:52:33 PM »
The DePaul press conference is seriously one of the saddest things I've ever seen. Some highlights...
  • Jean Lenti-Ponsetto, when talking about why they hired Leitao, said he beat some good coaches, started listing names of old coaches in C-USA and the ACC. Crean, Huggins, Calipari, Pitino, K, Williams, Brey...it was laughable.
  • "Dave Leitao was our number one choice." Hmm...then why did they make two offers to Bryce Drew before hiring Leitao?
  • JLP "He's friends with lots of Big East coaches." That's a reason for hiring someone? Because they are friends with the competition? Umm...okay.
  • JLP "Two former players sent me emails and had nice things to say (about Leitao)."
  • Leitao said when he left, he told JLP he was going on vacation for 10. She thought he meant days, but he meant years. Okay, that was kind of funny.
  • JLP diminished the importance of fundraising and facilities. Probably a good thing, since this hire drove a ton of donors away from the program.
  • Leitao: "Ultimate goal is to get back in the NCAA Tournament, and we will get there and win and keep winning." I'll believe that when I see it.

JLP also listed the top 3 things important to DePaul Athletics.  Winning was not one of them.

This is one of the funniest conferences I have ever seen.  A reporter just asked a question at JLP and an assistant said she is not taking questions at this time. 

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #274 on: March 30, 2015, 04:10:23 PM »

Living proof DePaul does not give a rat's backside about basketball. Maybe it is time the Big East dump DePaul and add St. Louis or Dayton. At least they care. Point by point on JPL's press conference:

1) The University of Nebraska Omaha head coach beat us too! Does that make him Big East material? I think not. Winning consistently makes you a Big East coach. Wnning surprisingly doesn't. Jean, do you know the difference?

2) Depends on what she means by "Number 1 choice." If it means the number 1 choice who would accept the job, OK. If it means the number one choice who would put up with low salary, crappy condiitions and no budget, then Leito was her number one choice.

3) "Friemds with lots of Big East coaches?" Gee, if that's all it takes to be a Division 1 basketball head coach, let's all start befriending. Think of what we could do to our family incomes.

4) Diminished the importance of fundraising and facilities. Yo, Jean, come to Milwaukee. Compare our performance over the past 10 years to your's. Ask yourself if fundraising and facilities matters as you tour the Al Center! While you are at it, take a trip to any other relevant D1 basketball progra,

5) "Get back to the NCAA Tournament." Are you referring to Doug Bruno and next year's women's teams? Because that's your only hope of getting there!

A tragedy. Just plain tragedy. Glad DePaul's women's team is doing well, but geez Jean, wake up!