[Today at 05:56:07 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[Today at 05:47:31 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[Today at 03:52:54 PM]

Marquette Football Update by TallTitan34
[Today at 09:41:46 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: DePaul Coaching Search  (Read 110104 times)

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
Re: DePaul Coaching Search
« Reply #125 on: March 25, 2015, 06:37:12 PM »
He was there for 4 years.  And the team regressed under him.  And he was a disaster in Sacramento this year.
Worse than Calipari in New Jersey? Or Pitino in Boston?

You can one off examples all day long. There is no formula for.success in the NBA vs NCAA. Each situation is different. You can't say Corbin is a bad idea because of Sidney Freaking Lowe anymore than you can say Pitino was a bad coach because he was a disaster in Boston.

Of.every name I've heard, none would be a better hire than Corbin.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #126 on: March 25, 2015, 06:41:25 PM »
Worse than Calipari in New Jersey? Or Pitino in Boston?

You can one off examples all day long. There is no formula for.success in the NBA vs NCAA. Each situation is different. You can't say Corbin is a bad idea because of Sidney Freaking Lowe anymore than you can say Pitino was a bad coach because he was a disaster in Boston.

Of.every name I've heard, none would be a better hire than Corbin.

Rick Pitino and John Calipari were successful college coaches that were bad in the NBA.

I struggle to come up with one example where a bad NBA coach made a good college coach and was never a college coach previously.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #127 on: March 25, 2015, 08:02:39 PM »

Rick Pitino and John Calipari were successful college coaches that were bad in the NBA.

I struggle to come up with one example where a bad NBA coach made a good college coach and was never a college coach previously.
It makes no difference. Why does there need to be some template? In my opinion, knowing DePaul the way I do, knowing Corbin, that he worked for a legend in Jerry Sloan (who would've been a phenomenal college coach), knowing the kind of example he would set for the kids DePaul would like to attract, he'd be a good hire.

There was no template for Buzz, either. Or Al McGuire (obviously an extreme example). John Thompson?

For instance, I believe UNC Charlotte's recent hiring of Mark Price is a great idea. It's a roll of the dice...more so than Corbin would be...but it's thinking outside the box to resuscitate a moribund program.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #128 on: March 26, 2015, 07:57:49 AM »

The Mayor was an assistant and head of bb Operations with the Wolves on some less than stellar teams who could fit in your 2nd category.

Larry Krystkowiak fits in with Pitino and Cal in the reverse list, as do Lou Carnesecca, Tim Floyd, Lon Kreuger, KO, and Len Hamilton, etc. the advantage of having NBA Coach on your resume is quite significant, to the point where there aren't many failures going the reverse way back to college. DePaul could do a lot worse.

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/07/04/how-have-coaches-fared-making-the-jump-from-college-to-the-nba/

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #129 on: March 26, 2015, 08:59:54 AM »
Corbin would at least inject a little bit of excitement into their fanbase, which is something the Wainwright and Purnell hires definitely did not do.  It would at least show they're going a different direction than the old retread college coaches.  They could do worse and hire another retread like Anthony Grant, Herb Sendek, Dave Laitao, or Craig Robinson.  I think Bryce Drew is their best option, but there seem to be conflicting reports of whether he's interested.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #130 on: March 26, 2015, 09:19:36 AM »
Evan Daniels @EvanDaniels
Arizona State has had a preliminary conversation with Buffalo coach Bobby Hurley, according to @SunDevilSource.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #131 on: March 26, 2015, 09:46:24 AM »
A DePaul/Tyrone Corbin hire would remind me too much of a Rutgers/Eddie Jordan hire, which hasn't gone successfully at all.  Both coaches bring NBA-level experience, of which neither was particularly successful, and both bring an alumnus-factor for the school they are being hired by (Corbin-DePaul, Jordan-Rutgers).  In both cases, the coach is expected to bring excitement and enthusiasm with recruiting.  "Hey, this guy is a former player and graduate of the school.  He knows how great our school is and what type of players are required to be successful.  Come to our school to experience the same level of success."

The problem is that Jordan has done absolutely nothing in either the American Athletic Conference or the B1G.  In both seasons, he has managed to barely win 10 games, and the recruits aren't exactly lining up, wanting to attend Rutgers for basketball.  I see a similar problem for DePaul/Corbin.  Are recruits really going to be saying, "I really need to play for Tyrone Corbin - he's a DePaul guy." 

DePaul doesn't need an alumnus or a tie to the program to be successful.  It needs a winner (either by proven standards or by the up-and-coming route).  JLP has hired two consecutive old-timer head coaches who were moderately successful at prior stops.  They simply cannot do that a third time.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #132 on: March 26, 2015, 10:08:15 AM »
This house just came on the market.  It is about 50 yards from Depaul's Wish Field and one block from their basketball practice facility (about the same distance that Tower hall is from the AL).  Asking price is $4 million.

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Chicago/2231-N-Fremont-St-60614/home/13353378?utm_source=myredfin&utm_campaign=instant24_listings_update&utm_medium=email&utm_content=view_details

Maybe they should offer it to Hurley as an incentive to come to "not the best neighborhood" in Chicago.

Wait ... maybe this is Purnell's house???

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #133 on: March 26, 2015, 10:22:53 AM »
The Mayor was an assistant and head of bb Operations with the Wolves on some less than stellar teams who could fit in your 2nd category.

Larry Krystkowiak fits in with Pitino and Cal in the reverse list, as do Lou Carnesecca, Tim Floyd, Lon Kreuger, KO, and Len Hamilton, etc. the advantage of having NBA Coach on your resume is quite significant, to the point where there aren't many failures going the reverse way back to college. DePaul could do a lot worse.

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/07/04/how-have-coaches-fared-making-the-jump-from-college-to-the-nba/

All of those were successful college coaches first, then went to the NBA.

Corbin has never been a successful coach anywhere.

A DePaul/Tyrone Corbin hire would remind me too much of a Rutgers/Eddie Jordan hire, which hasn't gone successfully at all.  Both coaches bring NBA-level experience, of which neither was particularly successful, and both bring an alumnus-factor for the school they are being hired by (Corbin-DePaul, Jordan-Rutgers).  In both cases, the coach is expected to bring excitement and enthusiasm with recruiting.  "Hey, this guy is a former player and graduate of the school.  He knows how great our school is and what type of players are required to be successful.  Come to our school to experience the same level of success."

The problem is that Jordan has done absolutely nothing in either the American Athletic Conference or the B1G.  In both seasons, he has managed to barely win 10 games, and the recruits aren't exactly lining up, wanting to attend Rutgers for basketball.  I see a similar problem for DePaul/Corbin.  Are recruits really going to be saying, "I really need to play for Tyrone Corbin - he's a DePaul guy." 

DePaul doesn't need an alumnus or a tie to the program to be successful.  It needs a winner (either by proven standards or by the up-and-coming route).  JLP has hired two consecutive old-timer head coaches who were moderately successful at prior stops.  They simply cannot do that a third time.

This sums up what I was trying to say so much better than I said it.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #134 on: March 26, 2015, 11:46:48 AM »
Evan Daniels @EvanDaniels
Arizona State has had a preliminary conversation with Buffalo coach Bobby Hurley, according to @SunDevilSource.

Translation: if you're Buffalo's AD be prepared to lose Bobby Hurley, if not this year, then next.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #135 on: March 26, 2015, 11:49:38 AM »
Corbin would at least inject a little bit of excitement into their fanbase, which is something the Wainwright and Purnell hires definitely did not do.  It would at least show they're going a different direction than the old retread college coaches.  They could do worse and hire another retread like Anthony Grant, Herb Sendek, Dave Laitao, or Craig Robinson.  I think Bryce Drew is their best option, but there seem to be conflicting reports of whether he's interested.

Given the fact that he was the last coach to actually have some measure of success at DePaul, I'd think that Dave Laitao might generate the most excitement.

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #136 on: March 26, 2015, 11:50:00 AM »
Translation: if you're Buffalo's AD be prepared to lose Bobby Hurley, if not this year, then next.

That's pretty much the curse of succeeding in a conference like the MAC.
Just ask the Northern Illinois football program.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #137 on: March 26, 2015, 12:00:05 PM »
This house just came on the market.  It is about 50 yards from Depaul's Wish Field and one block from their basketball practice facility (about the same distance that Tower hall is from the AL).  Asking price is $4 million.

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Chicago/2231-N-Fremont-St-60614/home/13353378?utm_source=myredfin&utm_campaign=instant24_listings_update&utm_medium=email&utm_content=view_details

Maybe they should offer it to Hurley as an incentive to come to "not the best neighborhood" in Chicago.

Wait ... maybe this is Purnell's house???

Waaay too modern for my taste.  If you looked at that kitchen when the sun happened to hit it, you might end up with retina damage.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #138 on: March 26, 2015, 12:05:19 PM »
Waaay too modern for my taste.  If you looked at that kitchen when the sun happened to hit it, you might end up with retina damage.

Not to mention that the exterior is as ugly as crap.  If you are dropping that kind of dough for a house, shouldn't the outside be attractive as well?

Makes a perfect surface for graffiti, though.
Have some patience, FFS.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #139 on: March 26, 2015, 12:20:04 PM »
Not to mention that the exterior is as ugly as crap.  If you are dropping that kind of dough for a house, shouldn't the outside be attractive as well?

Makes a perfect surface for graffiti, though.

Looks like a hotel more than a house.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #140 on: March 26, 2015, 12:24:07 PM »
Translation: if you're Buffalo's a mid major AD whose basketball team made the tourney with a young coach, be prepared to lose Bobby Hurley that coach, if not this year, then next.

FTFY

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #141 on: March 26, 2015, 01:16:12 PM »

Looks like a hotel more than a house.

Or an office building.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #142 on: March 26, 2015, 02:57:51 PM »
Ok try this,  it about 4 blocks off Depaul's campus and about 150 yards from Lincoln Park High School.

Asking price is $18.75 million

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Chicago/1955-N-Burling-St-60614/home/13348189

The head of Goldman Sachs Chicago office is the current owner.  (it about a block from Mark Walters house, the owner of the Dodgers)

(note I'm diverging into this real estate tour to illustrate the unique problem Depaul has.  Most schools are in bad neighborhoods.  Depaul has a capital campaign underway to raise $250 million just to buy land around the campus because prices are astronomical.  MU could by half of Milwaukee with $250 million.  Depaul wants to acquire a few blocks and selected properties.

This is why a Lincoln park basketball arena is not doable.  The land values, even for the Finkl property, are out of sight.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #143 on: March 26, 2015, 03:32:54 PM »
Ok try this,  it about 4 blocks off Depaul's campus and about 150 yards from Lincoln Park High School.

The head of Goldman Sachs Chicago office is the current owner.  (it about a block from Mark Walters house, the owner of the Dodgers)

(note I'm diverging into this real estate tour to illustrate the unique problem Depaul has.  Most schools are in bad neighborhoods.  Depaul has a capital campaign underway to raise $250 million just to buy land around the campus because prices are astronomical.  MU could by half of Milwaukee with $250 million.  Depaul wants to acquire a few blocks and selected properties.

This is why a Lincoln park basketball arena is not doable.  The land values, even for the Finkl property, are out of sight.

Nice little house. Kinda reminds me of my butler's quarters.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #144 on: March 26, 2015, 03:36:44 PM »

I was the lawyer for the people who built this house and sold it to the current owners in early 2002.  At the time, it was the most expensive residential sale in Chicago history.  Looks like it will be again when the property sells again.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #145 on: March 26, 2015, 04:20:04 PM »
I was the lawyer for the people who built this house and sold it to the current owners in early 2002.  At the time, it was the most expensive residential sale in Chicago history.  Looks like it will be again when the property sells again.

The late Robert Bernard

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #146 on: March 26, 2015, 04:40:14 PM »

He was an exec at Spears, Leeds, & Kellogg when Goldman purchased them, but he's not affiliated with Goldman in Chicago.  He's one of the group that owns the Tampa Rays though.

Him being in Chicago makes a lot of sense.  Fantastically wealthy, but super low profile and limited information around him.

That house is AWESOME looking though.  Looks crazy from the street.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #147 on: March 26, 2015, 04:44:52 PM »

All of those were successful college coaches first, then went to the NBA.

Corbin has never been a successful coach anywhere.

This sums up what I was trying to say so much better than I said it.

To your exception list, i called out the Mayor. Was an NBA assistant and DBO first on not so great Wolves teams and then college.  He was not a college coach first.

As to the second point I think we agree:  Having NBA on your resume helps tremendously in college.  Could help Corbin as it has The Mayor.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #148 on: March 26, 2015, 04:49:22 PM »
So on one block in Linoln Park we have an owner of the Rays, om another we have an owner of the Dodgers.  If memory serves, didn't Michael Haisley, the previous owner of the Memphis Grizzlies also live in Lincoln Park?

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #149 on: March 26, 2015, 04:55:15 PM »
So on one block in Linoln Park we have an owner of the Rays, om another we have an owner of the Dodgers.  If memory serves, didn't Michael Haisley, the previous owner of the Memphis Grizzlies also live in Lincoln Park?

When's the Scoop Block Party?

feedback