[Today at 09:08:06 AM]

NCSTATE is evil by Jay Bee
[Today at 09:07:16 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 07:22:54 AM]

Dallas bars tonite by Marquette Gyros
[Today at 06:59:41 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: DePaul Coaching Search  (Read 109507 times)

dgies9156

• All American
DePaul Coaching Search
« on: March 15, 2015, 09:05:37 PM »
This is a very interesting field. Sounds like there is plenty of talent for DePaul to choose from.

It's a job that with the right leader could become a high profile position,

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/ct-depaul-coaching-candidates-spt-0316-20150315-story.html#navtype=outfit

Also, the most coverage in the Tribune DePaul has had in ages.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
Re: DePaul Coaching Search
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 09:27:51 PM »
This is a very interesting field. Sounds like there is plenty of talent for DePaul to choose from.

It's a job that with the right leader could become a high profile position,

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/ct-depaul-coaching-candidates-spt-0316-20150315-story.html#navtype=outfit

Also, the most coverage in the Tribune DePaul has had in ages.

I suppose it's interesting in how bad it is!  Is this really the best the Trib thinks they can do?  -

Mark Aguirre- zero coaching experience!  And I'd have to double check the article, but pretty sure that includes assistant level even!!!
Ty Corbin- coaching experience - interim Sac Kings coach of which he was fired and is now in the all important "advisory role" for the franchise.  But hey, both these guys did play at DePaul when they were still relevant 30 plus years ago.

Howland?  He's obviously a guy no one wants to touch anymore after how it went down at UCLA, fair or not.  ( and please nobody show me the SI link, I knew the story long before I brought his name up in another thread yesterday).

A Georgetown assistant?  Because Georgetown has reached elite heights under JTIII, yes they're solid year in and year out, then get to postseason and collapse.

Steve Maisello - OK, he probably can coach and is ready to move up to a major D-1 program, but the reason he's not there now is he lied about graduating from Kentucky.  Character red flag maybe?

Bryce Drew- Valpo- he's the only legitimate name on the list that they should even be looking at.

Man, if this is the best they can come up with as a field of candidates, they truly are hopeless at that school.  Pathetic.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 09:30:15 PM by HutchwasClutch »

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2015, 09:31:04 PM »
Look no further than who's in charge of DePaul athletics to see if there is any hope of the program getting a quality head coach.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2015, 09:32:59 PM »
Look no further than who's in charge of DePaul athletics to see if there is any hope of the program getting a quality head coach.

I know nothing about her, but if this is their field, than yeah, she is clearly completely in over her head as their AD.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2015, 09:40:56 PM »
Goes beyond their AD, it is the overall commitment by the university.  The AD can only do so much.  DePaul just hasn't been committed across the board.  The new arena will help for sure.  They have to hope that helps in landing a coach and turning the tide.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2015, 09:45:08 PM »
I stand corrected on Tyrone Corbin, he failed as head coach of the Jazz before interim coach in Sacramento. 

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2015, 10:05:44 PM »
Goes beyond their AD, it is the overall commitment by the university.  The AD can only do so much.  DePaul just hasn't been committed across the board.  The new arena will help for sure.  They have to hope that helps in landing a coach and turning the tide.

If it isn't the AD's job to get people to games, create an environment fun for fans, promote and advertise your product to the public, and generate interest for teams, then whose job is it? 

Chico's, I don't disagree at all about it being a university issue as well - but part of the issue is the lack of accountability across the board with DePaul athletics.  The fact that the current AD will now be able to choose the THIRD head coach during the tenure, for the most recognizable and important sport that the university offers, is an embarrassment.  For reference sake, Bill Cords hired three coaches during his 20-year tenure (O'Neill, Deane and Crean).  They have hired three coaches in 10 years.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2015, 10:20:16 PM »
If it isn't the AD's job to get people to games, create an environment fun for fans, promote and advertise your product to the public, and generate interest for teams, then whose job is it? 

One of the Associate Assistant Directors and their staff....of course they report to the AD so blame is still there
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2015, 10:21:56 PM »

Chico's, I don't disagree at all about it being a university issue as well - but part of the issue is the lack of accountability across the board with DePaul athletics.  The fact that the current AD will now be able to choose the THIRD head coach during the tenure, for the most recognizable and important sport that the university offers, is an embarrassment.  For reference sake, Bill Cords hired three coaches during his 20-year tenure (O'Neill, Deane and Crean).  They have hired three coaches in 10 years.

Hard to polish a turd is my point and is the $$ commitment there?  Winning cures a lot of things and they haven't won in forever.  Promotion and advertising costs money, lots of it...do they have the resources committed to do that?  

By no means am I defending their AD.  Believe me.  Their previous one was a horse's ass.  What I'm asking is if the administration (her bosses) are committed to a program at the financial level needed?  Facilities, recruiting budget, salaries for HC and assistants?  Marketing funds, support funds (academic counseling, etc)?  DePaul is not considered a very strong academic school, it is not in the greatest part of town, they have lost forever, the $$ doesn't seem to be there...that's a tough turd to polish.  It is her job to get the administration to fund those areas, or to get them through fund raising.  Again, easier said than done.  The new arena will certainly help.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2015, 10:32:52 PM »
Hard to polish a turd is my point and is the $$ commitment there?  Winning cures a lot of things and they haven't won in forever.  Promotion and advertising costs money, lots of it...do they have the resources committed to do that?  

By no means am I defending their AD.  Believe me.  Their previous one was a horse's ass.  What I'm asking is if the administration (her bosses) are committed to a program at the financial level needed?  Facilities, recruiting budget, salaries for HC and assistants?  Marketing funds, support funds (academic counseling, etc)?  DePaul is not considered a very strong academic school, it is not in the greatest part of town, they have lost forever, the $$ doesn't seem to be there...that's a tough turd to polish.  It is her job to get the administration to fund those areas, or to get them through fund raising.  Again, easier said than done.  The new arena will certainly help.

They're in Lincoln Park. Doesn't get much nicer than that.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2015, 10:34:29 PM »

It's still Chicago aina?

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2015, 10:39:30 PM »
 DePaul is not considered a very strong academic school, it is not in the greatest part of town, they have lost forever, the $$ doesn't seem to be there...that's a tough turd to polish. 

This is hilarious.  Its not Northwestern or U of Chicago, but Depaul's reputation in Chicago is strong.  Its not like they are Chicago State.  Its only a few spots behind Marquette in the USNews rankings, and it has 3 times the students.  As for the neighborhood, its in Lincoln Park, probably the nicest place a campus of that size could be on the North side.  Light years better than Marquette's campus, location wise.  Not long ago they were getting guys like Quentin Richardson, Bobby Simmons, and other studs from CPS.  Its not the 80s heyday, but relative success isn't that far out of reach.

As for $$, thats another failing of the AD.  Depaul's alumni base in Chicago is extensive and wealthy.  The money could be there if the belief and support was there.  Show a long term plan, and the money would flow.  Its far from hopeless.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2015, 10:40:55 PM »
 Its far from hopeless.

It is if the Trib is right about their candidates, cripes.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2015, 11:06:01 PM »
This is hilarious.  Its not Northwestern or U of Chicago, but Depaul's reputation in Chicago is strong.  Its not like they are Chicago State.  Its only a few spots behind Marquette in the USNews rankings, and it has 3 times the students.  As for the neighborhood, its in Lincoln Park, probably the nicest place a campus of that size could be on the North side.  Light years better than Marquette's campus, location wise.  Not long ago they were getting guys like Quentin Richardson, Bobby Simmons, and other studs from CPS.  Its not the 80s heyday, but relative success isn't that far out of reach.

As for $$, thats another failing of the AD.  Depaul's alumni base in Chicago is extensive and wealthy.  The money could be there if the belief and support was there.  Show a long term plan, and the money would flow.  Its far from hopeless.

I guess Chicos was trying to be funny, but it makes no sense. DePaul's location is much, much, much nicer than MU's. Oh well, guess I just don't get it.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2015, 11:26:40 PM »

They are academically ranked 121st, MU is 76th....that's more than a few spots.

Did not call it hopeless, but it's a struggle.  Winning does wonders. In the last 10 years, they have had ONE winning season.  ONE.  In the last 20 years, they have had 6 winning seasons.   Their winning percentage the last 20 years is .409 with 2 NCAA appearances and one NCAA win.  

For all the "advantages" of the CPS, you still have to deal with the bullcrap that is the CPS and all the dirtiness that goes along with it.  That's a double edged sword.

Again, far from hopeless.  The arena will help.  

Yes, I was teasing on the Chicago thing.  

In my view, many coaches would shy away from DePaul as a job killer.  The AD, one would think, is also not on firm ground, but maybe she is.  That would concern me that whoever is hiring me is around for the next 5 years.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2015, 11:29:37 PM »

The last I heard its was reported as being located next to McCormick Place.  Thats not Lincoln Park, its South of the Loop!
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

MU82

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2015, 11:46:50 PM »

The last I heard its was reported as being located next to McCormick Place.  Thats not Lincoln Park, its South of the Loop!

The new arena would be on the near south side.

DePaul itself is in the heart of Lincoln Park in one of the most expensive zip codes in the country.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2015, 11:59:47 PM »
The new arena would be on the near south side.

DePaul itself is in the heart of Lincoln Park in one of the most expensive zip codes in the country.

They also have a large Downtown Loop  site.  The old Goldblatt Building on State street.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2015, 09:29:42 AM »
They are academically ranked 121st, MU is 76th....that's more than a few spots.

In my view, many coaches would shy away from DePaul as a job killer.  The AD, one would think, is also not on firm ground, but maybe she is.  That would concern me that whoever is hiring me is around for the next 5 years.

I meant more as when you see that ~10 schools are tied for each spot, its not that far.  And its not all that far really.

Anyways, I agree with you that its not a favorable situation given the AD and last few coaches, more point was more that the alumni support ($$$) would be there if there was a reason for it to be there.  Unfortunately JLP and the athletic department refuse.

They also have a large Downtown Loop  site.  The old Goldblatt Building on State street.

And?  So their core campus is in affluent Lincoln Park and their business school is blocks from the Chicago Theater and the Magnificent Mile in the center of the business district of Chicago.  Not sure your point.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2015, 09:38:01 AM »

And?  So their core campus is in affluent Lincoln Park and their business school is blocks from the Chicago Theater and the Magnificent Mile in the center of the business district of Chicago.  Not sure your point.

Attempting to clarify the new arena is not in Lincoln Park or in the Loop.  Its targeted south of the loop near McCormick Place.  That All.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2015, 09:41:00 AM »
Starts with the Administration.  

Marquette's climb out of the cellar started with the BOT hiring Fr. Wild.  He brought along the VPs, etc. that needed convincing.  

Then Cords was hired.  Then Al Frisone (just kidding, but people like Al play their part).  Then quality coaching candidates will follow.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2015, 09:59:26 AM »
Chico's is 100% right.  DePaul's admin does not care about athletics so they don't give the same resources / allowances that MU ath dept gets.  With regards to their AD, it is not just that she's been dealt a bad had, it's that she's in over her head.  Of course no one at DePaul cares.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2015, 10:43:32 AM »

Attempting to clarify the new arena is not in Lincoln Park or in the Loop.  Its targeted south of the loop near McCormick Place.  That All.

Must have missed all that confusion here...  ::)

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2015, 10:52:16 AM »
 DePaul is not considered a very strong academic school, it is not in the greatest part of town, they have lost forever, the $$ doesn't seem to be there...that's a tough turd to polish.  It is her job to get the administration to fund those areas, or to get them through fund raising.  Again, easier said than done.  The new arena will certainly help.

Chicos, when was the last time you were in Chicago? 1978?

C'mon, Lincoln Park is the hottest part of the city. It is extremely fashionable and young people especially seek out the chance to live there. Housing prices are on par with parts of LA and San Francisco (markets I suspect you know).

As far as academics, when do most high level college basketball players worry about academics? OK, a few do. But many are looking for an opportunity in the NBA. And DePaul being in the heart of Chicago should result in some strong exposure for kids who do not have intentions of playing in the Association.

Finally, my view of DePaul Athletics is this: You live within your means. And as AD, Jean Lenti-Ponsetto has to fight for dollars and she has to command enough respect from Adminsitration to give her the money she requests. Either she doesn't command their respect or she isn't battling for the money. One or the other.

I think this turd is recyclable. But I do think it's going to take a nasty overhaul of the AD beginning with Ms. Lenti-Ponsetto. She needs to go, given her record. Or be demoted to something she better understands. Regardless, something is VERY wrong there.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2015, 11:14:05 AM »
Starts with the Administration.  

Marquette's climb out of the cellar started with the BOT hiring Fr. Wild.  He brought along the VPs, etc. that needed convincing.  

Then Cords was hired.  Then Al Frisone (just kidding, but people like Al play their part).  Then quality coaching candidates will follow.

Cords was at MU long before Wild.
MU's climb out of the cellar began when Cords fired Dukiet and hired Kevin O'Neill, then gave up being an independent to join MCC, which beget the Great Midwest which beget Conference USA.