[Today at 06:05:33 AM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by Uncle Rico
[Today at 05:59:46 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Diamond  (Read 166820 times)

butchbadger

• Starter
Re: Diamond
« Reply #425 on: March 28, 2015, 11:54:14 PM »
68/68. Come on, the article was published this week. Don't pretend it isn't common knowledge.
[/quote

Published this week with old news

Only 2 African American players have NOT graduated since 2004. How is your record?

BTW  NIgel Hayes and Vitto Brown  - all Big 10 academic

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #426 on: March 28, 2015, 11:57:39 PM »
Yes, because the most current data is old news. ::)

Is it that hard to admit that Bo has had a poor track record in this regard?
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #427 on: March 28, 2015, 11:58:52 PM »
And amusing, as CBB noted, that you guys are celebrating your Final Four trolling a Marquette website.

butchbadger

• Starter
« Reply #428 on: March 29, 2015, 12:01:22 AM »
Yes, because the most current data is old news. ::)

Is it that hard to admit that Bo has had a poor track record in this regard?

Yes. Because it isn't true. Is it that hard for YOU to admit that the vast majority of African American players under Bo HAVE actually graduated? Even if some after the NCAA 6 yr window?

Your turn

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #429 on: March 29, 2015, 12:04:44 AM »
Yes. Because it isn't true. Is it that hard for YOU to admit that the vast majority of African American players under Bo HAVE actually graduated? Even if some after the NCAA 6 yr window?

Your turn

Tommy: You know, a lot of people go to college for seven years.

Richard: I know. They're called doctors.

butchbadger

• Starter
« Reply #430 on: March 29, 2015, 12:05:44 AM »
And amusing, as CBB noted, that you guys are celebrating your Final Four trolling a Marquette website.

I am not trolling. I am annoyed by a completely false narrative regarding graduation rates. Facts are facts.

I have no interest in talking about tonight's results.  That doesn't matter in this discussion.Only the facts matter.

refute them if you choose.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #431 on: March 29, 2015, 12:09:20 AM »
I am not trolling. I am annoyed by a completely false narrative regarding graduation rates. Facts are facts.

I have no interest in talking about tonight's results.  That doesn't matter in this discussion.Only the facts matter.

Yeah, like the fact that most schools have no problem getting their basketball players to graduate in the allotted 6 year window. Evidently only 40% of Madison's players have been able to do that.

Facts are facts. They're all that matter. Refute them if you chose.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #432 on: March 29, 2015, 12:55:27 AM »

So you are doing this on all the Big Ten sites....all those "rivals" you have...trying to set the record straight (even though the record is correct)??  Again, you just went to back to back Final Fours and you are here on a Marquette board.....says EVERYTHING.

ShootinOutWallsofHeartach

• Walk-On
« Reply #433 on: March 29, 2015, 01:37:19 AM »
BangBang...I am...........you know the rest.....and Victory is mine.....especially on that douchiest of sites known as the VictoryLap, or something.  Let's just say Badger Nation is a vile, classless, libelous Village where decency goes to die. This pending Diamond Stone libel suit perfectly ferments the Wes Matthews/Vander Blue SOUR GRAPES label emanating from Bo's Madison vineyard. It appears that many people on that VictoryCrap website are starting to see BigRed for the whiny, sanctimonious, unprofessional, outright hostile community it is and will forever be.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #434 on: March 29, 2015, 07:00:19 AM »

This should end all this silliness: UW had Donna Shalala when it was indefensible. MU had father Groppi when it was stylish and sophisticated. End of discussion.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #435 on: March 29, 2015, 08:29:03 AM »
Day away from the board.

So, Diamond to Maryland?  What happened to UConn? 

Miss a little miss a lot.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #436 on: March 29, 2015, 09:41:41 AM »
BangBang...I am...........you know the rest.....and Victory is mine.....especially on that douchiest of sites known as the VictoryLap, or something.  Let's just say Badger Nation is a vile, classless, libelous Village where decency goes to die. This pending Diamond Stone libel suit perfectly ferments the Wes Matthews/Vander Blue SOUR GRAPES label emanating from Bo's Madison vineyard. It appears that many people on that VictoryCrap website are starting to see BigRed for the whiny, sanctimonious, unprofessional, outright hostile community it is and will forever be.

There is no Diamond Stone libel suit, but otherwise you are correct.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #437 on: March 29, 2015, 10:50:00 AM »
Day away from the board.

So, Diamond to Maryland?  What happened to UConn? 

Miss a little miss a lot.

No dialogue about UConn.  Supposedly about Md being an Underarmor school.  His AAU team was UA sponsored.

Bucky fans claiming Stone verballed to Bo last fall, pending good ACT.  Heads now exploding. Many accusations, including Stone's dad getting paid by UA.  Also, Bo's daughter making public statements about Stone. Weird. 

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #438 on: March 29, 2015, 12:03:45 PM »
Let's clear a few things up.

Yes Bo wanted Diamond badly.

Yes by all accounts he verballed before the end of '14 and was admitted last week

What happened after that nobody knows..but I suspect it is about shoes.  UW will move on.

The graduation stuff is ridiculous. The guy quoted a 2004 -2007 report which was admittedly not good.

That class had 2 transfers who were morons.  Whether they left in good standing I don't know.

Since then all but 2 African American players have graduated.   Tucker. Landry, Flowers, Evans, Taylor and Wilson.  IIRC the only players to NOT graduate are Kam Taylor and Hughes.   So STOP with the zero percent stuff, it only makes you look silly.

A local, bitter, lazy liberal columnist for the equally lazy, liberal Boston Globe took and old report and made it look current.  There is a lot of much more current APR information around that he chose to ignore.

The 6 year rule is what it is. But 3 players who played in the NBA and overseas came back to finish a few credits. Landry Tucker Flowers.

The graduation rate for UW players is actually very good. It doesn't matter how the NCAA measures it.  Facts are facts.  All the UWMilwaukee reporter had to do was hit "google"  but he was either too lazy or had an agenda.

I think added context is important, so you bring up some good points.

However, the numbers are what they are. It's a snapshot in time, and its a scale for being compared to other schools.

During this snapshot in time (under Bo's tenure), they have the lowest Graduation Success Rate for black men of zero and the third-lowest overall at 40 percent. These are in direct comparison to their peers in the tournament.

So, we may need to dig deeper and maybe UW's numbers aren't quite that bad (as you have shown above)... but they still aren't good.

Bo is a fantastic coach, and overall the program is very good/great, but let's not make excuses. The academic side was/is surprisingly poor. That's a fact.

classof2k

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #439 on: March 29, 2015, 12:21:36 PM »
The "academics" topic on Diamond's decision is on WTMJ right now (Wisconsin Sports Weekend).

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #440 on: March 29, 2015, 12:52:20 PM »

Facts are facts. The facts are that under the same standard everyone else is judged by, Wisconsin came up woefully short over that period. UW knows, Bo knows, the staff knows, and the students know they will be judged on their ability to graduate within a six year time period. It is the responsibility of all those involved to try to graduate those players during that time. In this regard, Wisconsin failed.

You mentioned future numbers. That's fine. None of these numbers include the Buzz Williams recruiting years. Once those numbers come out, I have little doubt that Wisconsin's numbers will look at least marginally better, while ours will look dramatically worse. Buzz did not do a good job of keeping his players on track to graduate. While there are many that did succeed in that regard (Butler, Otule, Cadougan, Jake, Gardner, etc) there are many that did not, at least in comparison to the years under Tom Crean.

So yes, your time will likely come to gloat that your numbers are better than ours. I also have a feeling that with Wojo's shift in recruiting focus, that will be a relatively short time period. But as of right now, the most current numbers are endemic of UW and Bo Ryan's ability to graduate his players within the 6-year period analyzed by the NCAA.

Facts are facts.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 12:54:33 PM by brewcity77 »

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #441 on: March 29, 2015, 12:58:20 PM »
The "academics" topic on Diamond's decision is on WTMJ right now (Wisconsin Sports Weekend).

Can you summarize for us?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #442 on: March 29, 2015, 12:59:57 PM »

A high school kid's grades are the topic of TV news in Milwaukee?
Sheesh.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #443 on: March 29, 2015, 01:00:00 PM »

The full PR campaign to defend UW-madison and why kids have chosen not to go there....marches on.

classof2k

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #444 on: March 29, 2015, 01:04:37 PM »
Can you summarize for us?

I only listened for a minute... topic was introduced by the host and after a couple callers proud that WI has standards, blah blah blah, I tuned out.  No direct statements about Diamond failing to get admitted but a clear undertone during the part I caught.  Frankly, will be interesting to see how long Diamond and his crew stay above the fray if they can show this had nothing to do with his decision.

Also - it was radio (620 am) and not tv.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #445 on: March 29, 2015, 01:19:46 PM »
Diamond should sue the hell out of UW (either libel or violation of FERPA for Bo's daughters statements) and libel for all the media saying he didn't qualify/wisconsin standards.

I feel for the kid.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #446 on: March 29, 2015, 02:03:51 PM »
Facts are facts. The facts are that under the same standard everyone else is judged by, Wisconsin came up woefully short over that period. UW knows, Bo knows, the staff knows, and the students know they will be judged on their ability to graduate within a six year time period. It is the responsibility of all those involved to try to graduate those players during that time. In this regard, Wisconsin failed.

You mentioned future numbers. That's fine. None of these numbers include the Buzz Williams recruiting years. Once those numbers come out, I have little doubt that Wisconsin's numbers will look at least marginally better, while ours will look dramatically worse. Buzz did not do a good job of keeping his players on track to graduate. While there are many that did succeed in that regard (Butler, Otule, Cadougan, Jake, Gardner, etc) there are many that did not, at least in comparison to the years under Tom Crean.

So yes, your time will likely come to gloat that your numbers are better than ours. I also have a feeling that with Wojo's shift in recruiting focus, that will be a relatively short time period. But as of right now, the most current numbers are endemic of UW and Bo Ryan's ability to graduate his players within the 6-year period analyzed by the NCAA.

Facts are facts.
This is so true.
So ButchBadger, instead of complaining that his school needs to do a better job, basically says we need to change how this is calculated beyond 6 years so UW looks better..  Six years is enough time and the standard used even in non-athletic situations to get a pretty good idea of what is going on.  Plus, if you extend it out more than 6 years, all but those schools at the top (e.g already at 100%) would have their percentages increase.  Can we extend it out to 7 or 10 years when Buzz's players are considered in this metric to make MU look better? I'm sure ButchBadger will argue for MU at that time and let us analysis who graduates after 6 years on their own dime.   

UW is no Northwestern or those type of schools that take academics amongst athletes seriously.  UW may want to pretend, but they are not. And they never will be if UW fans are nothing but dupes for the program and make excuses.  Sack up and let Bo and Co know that this is not acceptable and they need to pay attention and take academics seriously. Plenty at MU did just that over Buzz and their is a marked change in how he program is run that he didn't like and a marked change in the how the new coach was chosen.

Anyway, a big reason Buzz didn't feel like he was wanted at MU anymore, and had an arm in his back pushing him out, was because of the academics.  People were upset and complained.  Rightfully so.  MU has always been a tougher job because you have to win on the court and in the classroom.  The MU fans and administration won't take just a winner on the court as was shown with the AD change to Larry and Buzz's end.   Buzz was superior on the court and was only average off the court.  Not good enough.    MU will look bad in a few years because of how Buzz ran the program off the court.  MU dealt with it.  UW should also deal with it. Making excuses makes UW look bad.

Black Swan

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #447 on: March 29, 2015, 02:08:58 PM »
I have been a bit out of the loop for a couple of days. Did Bo's daughter really call into question Stone's academics? Are her tweets still up? If so that would seem to point towards Bo being OK with her tweets. This seems in very poor taste.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #448 on: March 29, 2015, 02:15:16 PM »
I have been a bit out of the loop for a couple of days. Did Bo's daughter really call into question Stone's academics? Are her tweets still up? If so that would seem to point towards Bo being OK with her tweets. This seems in very poor taste.

In fairness to Mr. Grinch, he's probably got more important things on his mind than what his idiot daughter is tweeting.

AirPunches

• All American
« Reply #449 on: March 29, 2015, 02:16:53 PM »

Who's to say Bo doesn't endorse the tweets? Apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

feedback