[Today at 10:45:04 AM]

NCSTATE is evil by tower912
[Today at 10:37:58 AM]

Where is Marquette? by Scoop Snoop
[Today at 10:10:34 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Viper
[Today at 09:52:10 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Diamond  (Read 166867 times)

Boone

• All American
Re: Diamond
« Reply #400 on: March 28, 2015, 12:02:18 PM »
The 'dumpster' comment was about as funny as it was clever.

brandx

« Reply #401 on: March 28, 2015, 12:05:22 PM »
I would say most of the sponsorship is through gear (uniforms, shoes, warmups, etc.). The rest is on the team (parents). For instance, the five hs NY2LA tourney's cost $2400 - $2600 (for all of them). Add some out of state tourneys, hotels, travel, etc. and you can see it add up quickly. I would say team fees in the area range from $500 - $1,000 per kid. That would be in line with WI Shooters, WI Swing, Playground Wariors, Ray Allen, DTA, Playground Elite. In high school, a lot of teams finish their season in Las Vegas at the Fab 48, Las Vegas Classic, Adidas Uprising, etc. Just imagine the costs of just getting there. All programs try to do some amount of fundraising, but it is difficult. Obviously, the better the team, the more elite tourneys they enter. That is where the heavy travel and sponsorship really come in. And I think that was my point from earlier -- Diamond (and high-level dudes like him) aren't worrying about how to get to Nike Peach Jam or UA's Jayhawk Invitation and where they can get a $45 room rate like most. I can only speak for myself -- at good AAU program like those listed above, the team budget will be $10,000 and that doesn't include major travel, hotel, expenses. Some groups pay coaches. Some pay for coaches' travel and meals. Some pay for gym rental. Embroidery. Alternate shooting shirts. Insurance. Balls. It all adds up. Craziest amount I heard a few years back was some team from Iowa where each kid paid something like over $3,000 or $4,000. I believe it was year round and they had 24/7 gym access, but that blew my mind.

Interesting stuff.

Answered a lot of questions I had on how the kids do this.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #402 on: March 28, 2015, 12:33:07 PM »
I get the feeling Brenna Ryan is just trolling.

brandx

« Reply #403 on: March 28, 2015, 01:18:15 PM »
Her twitter saying is "Smell my Finger."   

With comments like that, calling her a cum dumpster is probably nothing new to her.

That dude in the twitter photo is probably just happy that diamond won't be around to smell that finger.

Grown men calling a teenage girl a slut is always a classy move.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #404 on: March 28, 2015, 01:18:46 PM »
Her twitter saying is "Smell my Finger."   

With comments like that, calling her a cum dumpster is probably nothing new to her.

That dude in the twitter photo is probably just happy that diamond won't be around to smell that finger.

Seriously? Wow. Classy chick.  ::)

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #405 on: March 28, 2015, 03:12:57 PM »
Just going on limited personal experience. There are a lot of sponsors who give money here and there, but pretty much most teams charge a team fee to the player cover items like travel, tourney fees, and some gear. I know a lot of sponsors locally like Devin Harris, Joe Pryzbilla and Ray Allen give gear, or a little bit of money. The gear is typically given by the NBA player's shoe sponsor. (So Harris gives his team adidas and Allen gives Jordan). My point was (and perhaps I didn't make it clear enough), when you have a guy like Diamond, Under Armour comes in a pays for EVERYTHING THEY POSSIBLY CAN legally -- beyond the "typical" sponsorship. The kind of sponsorship that happens to "big-name players." That doesn't happen to many teams; most teams get a little sponsorship...

OK. I thought when you said, "Most sponsors like UA, Jordan, Adidas, only sponsor teams that have big-name players" you meant that "Most sponsors like UA, Jordan, Adidas, only sponsor teams that have big-name players." I understand now that's not what you meant.

Yes, it can be a bit of a.... business. And it's not just shoe companies.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

MUMonster03

• All American
« Reply #406 on: March 28, 2015, 04:13:41 PM »
Their reaction and hatred towards an 18 year old high schooler gives me even more reason to say this tonight..... GO ZONA!!!!!!!!!

butchbadger

• Starter
« Reply #407 on: March 28, 2015, 10:26:21 PM »
Let's clear a few things up.

Yes Bo wanted Diamond badly.

Yes by all accounts he verballed before the end of '14 and was admitted last week

What happened after that nobody knows..but I suspect it is about shoes.  UW will move on.

The graduation stuff is ridiculous. The guy quoted a 2004 -2007 report which was admittedly not good.

That class had 2 transfers who were morons.  Whether they left in good standing I don't know.

Since then all but 2 African American players have graduated.   Tucker. Landry, Flowers, Evans, Taylor and Wilson.  IIRC the only players to NOT graduate are Kam Taylor and Hughes.   So STOP with the zero percent stuff, it only makes you look silly.

A local, bitter, lazy liberal columnist for the equally lazy, liberal Boston Globe took and old report and made it look current.  There is a lot of much more current APR information around that he chose to ignore.

The 6 year rule is what it is. But 3 players who played in the NBA and overseas came back to finish a few credits. Landry Tucker Flowers.

The graduation rate for UW players is actually very good. It doesn't matter how the NCAA measures it.  Facts are facts.  All the UWMilwaukee reporter had to do was hit "google"  but he was either too lazy or had an agenda.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #408 on: March 28, 2015, 10:28:32 PM »

Yes by all accounts he verballed before the end of '14 and was admitted last week

What happened after that nobody knows..but I suspect it is about shoes.  UW will move on.

The graduation stuff is ridiculous. The guy quoted a 2004 -2007 report which was admittedly not good.

That class had 2 transfers who were morons.  Whether they left in good standing I don't know.

Since then all but 2 African American players have graduated.   Tucker. Landry, Flowers, Evans, Taylor and Wilson.  IIRC the only players to NOT graduate are Kam Taylor and Hughes.   So STOP with the zero percent stuff, it only makes you look silly.

A local, bitter, lazy liberal columnist for the equally lazy, liberal Boston Globe took and old report and made it look current.  There is a lot of much more current APR information around that he chose to ignore.

The 6 year rule is what it is. But 3 players who played in the NBA and overseas came back to finish a few credits. Landry Tucker Flowers.

The graduation rate for UW players is actually very good. It doesn't matter how the NCAA measures it.  Facts are facts.  All the UWMilwaukee reporter had to do was hit "google"  but he was either too lazy or had an agenda.

Don't get dizzy from all that spinning.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #409 on: March 28, 2015, 10:30:54 PM »
Don't get dizzy from all that spinning.

He's 100% accurate.  That's doesn't mean the report was wrong - the report was objectively correct given the parameters it measured.  But his explanation is accurate.

butchbadger

• Starter
« Reply #410 on: March 28, 2015, 10:39:52 PM »

He's 100% accurate.  That's doesn't mean the report was wrong - the report was objectively correct given the parameters it measured.  But his explanation is accurate.

Yes. The report WAS correct.  Although old and nuanced.

I don't care except about the chest puffing crowing about ZERO BLACK GRADUATION rate.  Because it simply isn't close to true.   

I don't know a lot about MU's graduation numbers but I dont base t on a small window that includes Blue and Crowder. 

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #411 on: March 28, 2015, 10:41:27 PM »

Two thoughts. First, someone supporting UW-Madison blaming liberals for their problems is like Bill O'Reilly blaming conservatives for what's wrong in America.

Second, the other schools are graduating their guys in 6 years, why can't you? You may not like the NCAA or how the numbers are gathered, but the bottom line is UW-Madison plays by the same rules everyone else does and comes up way short.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #412 on: March 28, 2015, 10:44:16 PM »

Are we sure about that?  My understanding is that the numbers he looked at was the NCAA's GSR Report and looked at the freshman classes from 2004-2007, which had 6 years to obtain their degree from their school (so the freshman class of 2007 would have until May 2014 to obtain their degree).  It was not an outdated report from 2004-2007.  It was the freshman classes, since their 6 years finished in 2014, or last year.  They can't put out the report for this year because the school year has not ended yet.  So next year's report will look at the freshman classes of 2005-2008.  The freshman class of 2005 has until May 2012 to get their degree, the freshman class of 2008 has until May 2015 to complete their degree, etc.  Maybe I'm looking at it completely wrong, but that's what seems to be what the report is looking at if you go to the link that the reporter provides and search each school's GSR Report.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

butchbadger

• Starter
« Reply #413 on: March 28, 2015, 10:46:44 PM »
Well I will say the program has produced a lot of Overseas type players. They chase the dream, make some$$ and come back. As an alum its fine with me.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #414 on: March 28, 2015, 10:47:28 PM »
Are we sure about that?  My understanding is that the numbers he looked at was the NCAA's GSR Report and looked at the freshman classes from 2004-2007, which had 6 years to obtain their degree from their school (so the freshman class of 2007 would have until May 2014 to obtain their degree).  It was not an outdated report from 2004-2007.  It was the freshman classes, since their 6 years finished in 2014, or last year.  They can't put out the report for this year because the school year has not ended yet.  So next year's report will look at the freshman classes of 2005-2008.  The freshman class of 2005 has until May 2012 to get their degree, the freshman class of 2008 has until May 2015 to complete their degree, etc.  Maybe I'm looking at it completely wrong, but that's what seems to be what the report is looking at if you go to the link that the reporter provides and search each school's GSR Report.

100% correct, the report IS the latest info.

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #415 on: March 28, 2015, 11:05:32 PM »
100% correct, the report IS the latest info.

So I guess that means the reporter is a hardworking liberal.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #416 on: March 28, 2015, 11:15:52 PM »
Well I will say the program has produced a lot of Overseas type players. They chase the dream, make some$$ and come back. As an alum its fine with me.

Yeah, most high majors do. UW-Madison is still dead last. Overseas players aren't preventing the other 67 NCAA teams from having better graduation rates, so that's a BS excuse.

Sylvester78

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #417 on: March 28, 2015, 11:23:20 PM »
Dead last?  Prove it.

With some relatively current data.

Bitter jealously is a bad emotion Heisy

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #418 on: March 28, 2015, 11:29:02 PM »

Always an excuse with you....always.  It can never be about someone not wanting to go to Wisconsin....instead it's because of Wes's mom, shoes, someone paid, academics, etc....it's never the most obvious....they didn't want to go there.  Occam's Razor.

Good to see you here on a day you go to the Final Four....worrying about your rival and what they say.  Classic.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #419 on: March 28, 2015, 11:30:25 PM »
Dead last?  Prove it.

It is the current data.  Look above.  Love the attempt to spin it though.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #420 on: March 28, 2015, 11:32:49 PM »

How is it accurate?  Student athletes are allowed 6 years to graduate and be counted as graduating in the mandated time period.  They haven't  Now, these kids may ultimately end up graduating, but no in the time period every other school is measured by.

Now, the conspiracy theory of Under Armor paying for the kid's father to go play for Maryland....it's always nonsense with Badger fans.  Always.  I actually love their team...it's such a good team....their fans remain a bunch of bag of dicks.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #421 on: March 28, 2015, 11:43:26 PM »

Believe this is correct.  If I understand, the gripe with the NCAA methodology has always been:

1) Using 2004 freshmen, it encompasses data from students who may have graduated in 2008 as an input to a "current" calculation, which for a lot of schools is too long ago to reflect the current environment.  Even for us, is the fact that Ousmane Barro, Dan Fitzgerald, Trend Blackledge and Tommy Brice graduated an indication of our current academic progress?  It was two coaches, Presidents, and ADs ago...so, not really.  A current picture would probably move up a couple years.  Though for a school whose coach and AD has been the same all along, maybe more valid.

2) It ignores recent graduates, which are a very real indication of current academic progress.  Because the six year clock isn't up, those who graduated in four or five in just the past couple years aren't part of the calculation.  Shouldn't it count for something now that Junior Cadougan, Chris Otule, Davante Gardner, Jake Thomas, and Jamil Wilson graduated, and not something that is still a year or two off from being part of a "current" academic progress metric?

What the UW hissy fit about the article has been incorrect about is:

1) Denial that it has any merit on academic progress.  Being that bad is something to be concerned about, and hopefully give a long, hard look at the current state to make sure progress is being made.  Said in another thread, but our 87% even shows room for improvement - we had a nice streak for some time of reporting 100%.  Some of the internal strife within the last regime seems to indicate that going in the wrong direction (even that little bit) was a concern that some felt needed to be addressed.

2) It penalizes their players, who all "go pro".  How many high major players don't spend at least a couple years playing overseas?  Yet it isn't an issue for other programs to help their players earn degrees within the time period allotted.

3) The Harvard of the Midwest has a more difficult curriculum, with players in programs that aren't the cakewalk of other schools.  Yes, the agricultural journalism program craps all over anything the other six Big Ten schools in the tournament offer, as well as the cakewalks players have at academically-challenged schools like Notre Dame, Duke, and Georgetown.  ::)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 11:46:07 PM by chapman »

butchbadger

• Starter
« Reply #422 on: March 28, 2015, 11:45:15 PM »
I know you are better than this Jamie,

No excuses. Just facts.  Do you really want to compare recent grad rates?

I have no idea what happened with DS. I only care a little.

The train will stay on the tracks.  

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #423 on: March 28, 2015, 11:47:36 PM »
Dead last?  Prove it.

68/68. Come on, the article was published this week. Don't pretend it isn't common knowledge.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #424 on: March 28, 2015, 11:51:31 PM »
68/68. Come on, the article was published this week. Don't pretend it isn't common knowledge.

feedback