'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by willie warrior
[Today at 03:50:16 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Diamond  (Read 166855 times)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Re: Diamond
« Reply #375 on: March 28, 2015, 08:31:09 AM »
Well she may not be too bright, but based on that little profile photo on her twitter page she's kind of a babe.  I mean, she's 18 after all AMIRIGHT CHICOS??! (High fives Chicos)

Can check both counts out for yourself...

http://youtu.be/7au7assmdJk

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #376 on: March 28, 2015, 08:35:23 AM »

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #377 on: March 28, 2015, 08:42:21 AM »
Am I the only one whose reaction to this is grudging respect for UW that they didn't just automatically accept her, as Bo's kid?

I would have just assumed that every university vip gets their kids in automatically.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #378 on: March 28, 2015, 08:59:44 AM »
Most sponsors like UA, Jordan, Adidas, only sponsor teams that have big-name players, so them sponsoring Diamond always made sense.

Don't know what your definition of big-name players is, but unless it's a really strange one, this isn't true. The shoe (and other) companies sponsor a lot of programs.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #379 on: March 28, 2015, 09:03:11 AM »

Even when Diamond was heavier, this chick makes him look like a toothpick. What a beast.

Mairin, another Bo daughter, is box. I love her.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #380 on: March 28, 2015, 09:34:57 AM »

Deceptive selfies, the other danger of the social media age.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #381 on: March 28, 2015, 09:42:37 AM »
Am I the only one whose reaction to this is grudging respect for UW that they didn't just automatically accept her, as Bo's kid?

I would have just assumed that every university vip gets their kids in automatically.

I was thinking they do accept every vip's kid.  So what was it about her application that they could not take her?  Maybe her act score was lower than DS.

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #382 on: March 28, 2015, 09:53:33 AM »
Don't know what your definition of big-name players is, but unless it's a really strange one, this isn't true. The shoe (and other) companies sponsor a lot of programs.
Just going on limited personal experience. There are a lot of sponsors who give money here and there, but pretty much most teams charge a team fee to the player cover items like travel, tourney fees, and some gear. I know a lot of sponsors locally like Devin Harris, Joe Pryzbilla and Ray Allen give gear, or a little bit of money. The gear is typically given by the NBA player's shoe sponsor. (So Harris gives his team adidas and Allen gives Jordan). My point was (and perhaps I didn't make it clear enough), when you have a guy like Diamond, Under Armour comes in a pays for EVERYTHING THEY POSSIBLY CAN legally -- beyond the "typical" sponsorship. The kind of sponsorship that happens to "big-name players." That doesn't happen to many teams; most teams get a little sponsorship and pay their way. As a specific example, we just lost two kids on our AAU team to the Young Legends because "the gear is better and they pay for everything." They play for free in all UA tournament they select, including many out of state. I wonder how long UA sponsors an average team, at the level they are sponsoring them? I wonder why? Is there some quid pro quo with trainer? I just find it odd. It is my opinion that the shoe companies are not in this to be altruistic, rather they are in it to get exposure and make money. Attaching themselves to "big-name" players gets more exposure. Attaching themselves to "big-name" players create buzz and create revenue. All the while they throw some shekels (and shoes) at other programs to look legit. Going "all in" on their investment is what it looks like to me. It also seems like a sound strategy. And from the outside, it looks like it just paid off from a recruiting standpoint.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 09:55:52 AM by Freeport Warrior »

larrym

• Starter
« Reply #383 on: March 28, 2015, 09:54:20 AM »
If he didn't get admitted, shouldn't Bo be the one making the phone call informing him?  Does Bo expect a kid to call him to say he wasn't admitted?    This pretty much confirms that he was admitted, and made the decision to attend Maryland.  I think we all know that, but the Badger fans are only latching on to one of her tweets.

Brenna Ryan retweeted
Ben Eckburg @BenEckburg  ·  4h 4 hours ago
@JayBilas if a top recruit narrows down to top 3 schools, is it normal for them not to call other 2 coaches before committing to 1?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #384 on: March 28, 2015, 10:00:49 AM »
Well she may not be too bright, but based on that little profile photo on her twitter page she's kind of a babe.  I mean, she's 18 after all AMIRIGHT CHICOS??! (High fives Chicos)

YUP on the 18 stuff, but I'm not going to agree on the babe part.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #385 on: March 28, 2015, 10:07:51 AM »
If he didn't get admitted, shouldn't Bo be the one making the phone call informing him?  Does Bo expect a kid to call him to say he wasn't admitted?    This pretty much confirms that he was admitted, and made the decision to attend Maryland.  I think we all know that, but the Badger fans are only latching on to one of her tweets.

The only way Diamond didn't get admitted to Wisconsin is if he didn't get admitted anywhere and was headed to Europe.  I wish him well and hope he's happy and successful out at Maryland.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #386 on: March 28, 2015, 10:23:08 AM »
Brenna Ryan just tweeted this out.  The article says she is the source of the information.

This is really bad.

NCAA rules prohibit a coach from discussing a recruit.  You don't get around that rule by having your daughter in the room to tweet and blog what was said in private.

Has UW ever attacked a white recruit like this?  Don't know, just asking?

Is Bo really ok with this?  Does he want future recruits to know his private conservations will be made public in this manner?  You can bet that other coaches going after the same recruits will tell them about this.

Again, I'm making a distinction between anonymous random people like me, or the comment I highlighted below (because I thought it was interesting) and insiders saying what is happening.  

Anonymous random people know nothing.  We are guessing or connecting dots when we don't see all the dots to begin with.

Brenna Ryan is not random; she is claiming first hand knowledge and using that position to disparage an 18 year old kid that rejected UW.  

And, again, I think it is interesting that she is disparaging an 18-year old inner city African American recruit when UW has a 0% graduation rate for blacks.  It does matter if this statistic is unfair.  That is what the NCAA said it is so that is what everyone knows.

She also tweeted out #whitebballsuccess after UW beat UNC.  Of course she will say she is not racist, then why tweet that out given your father's track record with African American players.

I cannot believe Bo has not muzzled her yet.  He must not know about it.  That is why I'm chronicling this.  I would not be surprised if her account is deleted very soon.

------------------------------------------------

Brenna Ryan retweeted
The Victory Lap @TheVictoryLap_  ·  47m 47 minutes ago
The real reason Diamond Stone is not a Wisconsin Badger #TakeALap - http://thevictorylapblog.com/2015/03/the-real-reason-diamond-stone-is-not-a-wisconsin-badger/

The real reason Diamond Stone is not a Wisconsin Badger

http://thevictorylapblog.com/2015/03/the-real-reason-diamond-stone-is-not-a-wisconsin-badger/

By now everybody with internet access has heard the news that the Badgers missed out on 5-star big man Diamond Stone, as he committed to Maryland last night. Obviously immediately after he announced his decision on Twitter the rumors started flying about why he’s not coming to UW, but everything has been entirely speculation. This won’t be.

Before I get too far into this, let me say ahead of time that I’m not writing this out of bitterness. Obviously I’m disappointed and pissed off that he’s not gonna be a Badger, but I’m not mad at him because of it. He’s a great player. He’ll be great at Maryland, and he’ll play in the NBA. Diamond Stone is just an 18-year-old kid deciding where to go to college, and he doesn’t owe UW anything just because he was born in Wisconsin. I’m just writing this because I know some details about the story, and because the wrong people have ended up taking the fall from this situation. So here’s what the “sources” and “insiders” weren’t talking about when it comes to one of the most hyped recruits to ever come out of Wisconsin not becoming a Badger…

Diamond Stone verbally committed to UW in November. Obviously that never became public knowledge so people will say it’s not true when they read this, but believe it or not, sometimes there’s some stuff that goes on behind the scenes in college sports that beat writers don’t know about (and I’m sure there’s plenty of the story that I don’t know, too. This is just the part that I’ve been told.) Diamond’s dad called Coach Ryan’s house and used the phrase “You might want to sit down for this” like he was about to announce the second coming of Jesus Christ. His dad then put Diamond on the phone, and he told Coach that he wanted to be a Badger. The problem was, both parties knew all along he didn’t have the grades/ACT score to get into the University at the time. I know this because Coach’s daughter Brenna answered the phone and was right there when it happened, and she’s a close friend of mine.

(No idea how she isn’t a Twitter sensation, by the way. If you’re looking for some entertainment, I recommend the follow.)

I’m not writing this to make fun of the guy or call him stupid – A lot of people don’t get into Madison. They just usually end up going to Minnesota, not Maryland. Hell, it’s common knowledge that Gary Andersen left Wisconsin because he couldn’t get his recruits into school (and because he’s a kitten). This isn’t a new issue for UW coaching staffs to deal with, but it’s a pretty important part of the real story. I know I’m not the first one saying Diamond Stone had a low ACT score because that’s been going around Twitter forever, I’m just confirming it. So, because he wasn’t admitted to the University yet, he decided to wait for a while before giving a half hour warning on Twitter to announce his commitment to the Badgers, instead of doing it right then.

At that point he still had time to improve his scores and be admitted, so he kept pushing back his public commitment because he didn’t want to end up getting denied and then have to face the embarrassment of decommitting – and rightfully so. Who would want to make that announcement? I can’t blame the guy. Obviously the decision eventually came down from UW that he was not admitted, so last night he announced that he’s going to Maryland – his second choice. (To be fair, I’m not blaming UW, either. I’ve already said I’m glad we have a standard for student athletes. It’s just frustrating.)

But the most frustrating part of the situation is that it makes it look like the program and our coaching staff made a mistake by not getting one of the biggest recruits in America when he grew up right in our backyard. The same thing happened when Vander Blue committed to Marquette. He was committed to UW and then ended up not getting into school, but the public perception is that these guys snubbed the Badgers, which just isn’t the case. It’s billed as a shortcoming of Wisconsin basketball, when in all actuality the mistake was not on their part.

People always jump to a kid’s defense when Twitter trolls talk bad about a guy like Diamond Stone for making his college decision, but nobody ever backs up the coaches who do the recruiting. It’s assumed that missing on a big time recruit is a failure on the part of the coaching staff. People call for their jobs or say recruiting at Wisconsin needs to change, but the fact is that they had no control in the matter. This is far from the first time this has happened, it’s just the one that got the most attention because Diamond is a complete monster. That’s what actually pissed me off about this situation. They’re the ones that end up looking bad, and recruiting is very literally part of their livelihood – but they can’t say anything about it. We have some great coaches and they’re a huge reason Wisconsin is playing to go to back-t0-back Final Fours in a few hours – But when stuff like this happens, they take the brunt of it because a lot of people don’t know the real story. It’s like at the end of the Dark Knight when Harvey Dent is the one who ends up becoming the hero and Batman has to take the fall. You either die a hero, or you coach long enough to see yourself become the enemy because a kid’s PPG is higher than his ACT.

Comments

YB March 28, 2015 at 9:32 am Reply   

Understandable rationalization. Giving Badgers coaches a little too much credit though. Staff recruits to the system and you know that. Recruits see Bronson Koenig playing little minutes as a freshman and steer away. It’s a stubbornness by Bo Ryan to change to the recruiting climate. Successful formula for programs looking to fight for conference every year and make occasional runs in the tourney. Not to win National titles.

Name (required) March 28, 2015 at 9:46 am Reply   

All spin and only partially true. I have a friend in admissions and Diamnond was “accepted” a week and a half ago. The reason he isn’t a Badger is because his Dad got a consulting gig with Under Armour and he’ll be receiving a shoe contract the second he turns pro. If you’re going to put the spin out there, at least get it right.

DrewName (required) March 28, 2015 at 9:49 am Reply   

YB, Completely wrong. Freshmen have played at UW – Gasser, Devin Harris, Sam Dekker, Nigel Hayes are just a few.

Devin March 28, 2015 at 10:02 am Reply   

You guys are all full of crap. Diamond committed to Maryland because he wants to play for Maryland. I know for a FACT that he was admitted to UW, and that he could have committed there had he chosen to. The Under Armour story is also completely false. The kid just wanted to get away from home. PERIOD.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 11:43:17 AM by Heisenberg »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #387 on: March 28, 2015, 10:25:47 AM »
That article is flatly wrong.  He was admitted to the school.

I'd leave out the racial comparison stuff.  The kid chose another school.  What his daughter is thinking and why those tweets haven't come down yet is shocking to me.  If I was someone at the school or on Bo's staff and heard about it, those tweets would be down immediately.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #388 on: March 28, 2015, 10:31:09 AM »
Just going on limited personal experience. There are a lot of sponsors who give money here and there, but pretty much most teams charge a team fee to the player cover items like travel, tourney fees, and some gear. I know a lot of sponsors locally like Devin Harris, Joe Pryzbilla and Ray Allen give gear, or a little bit of money. The gear is typically given by the NBA player's shoe sponsor. (So Harris gives his team adidas and Allen gives Jordan). My point was (and perhaps I didn't make it clear enough), when you have a guy like Diamond, Under Armour comes in a pays for EVERYTHING THEY POSSIBLY CAN legally -- beyond the "typical" sponsorship. The kind of sponsorship that happens to "big-name players." That doesn't happen to many teams; most teams get a little sponsorship and pay their way. As a specific example, we just lost two kids on our AAU team to the Young Legends because "the gear is better and they pay for everything." They play for free in all UA tournament they select, including many out of state. I wonder how long UA sponsors an average team, at the level they are sponsoring them? I wonder why? Is there some quid pro quo with trainer? I just find it odd. It is my opinion that the shoe companies are not in this to be altruistic, rather they are in it to get exposure and make money. Attaching themselves to "big-name" players gets more exposure. Attaching themselves to "big-name" players create buzz and create revenue. All the while they throw some shekels (and shoes) at other programs to look legit. Going "all in" on their investment is what it looks like to me. It also seems like a sound strategy. And from the outside, it looks like it just paid off from a recruiting standpoint.

The expense of playing AAU ball must be staggering for some/most parents when there is no sponsorship.  Freeport, do the majority of teams not get sponsored?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #389 on: March 28, 2015, 10:31:26 AM »
Badger fans being despicable and making excuses for St. Bo with thinly veiled racism?

It must be a day that ends in d-a-y.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

WarriorPA

• Walk-On
« Reply #390 on: March 28, 2015, 10:51:34 AM »
The comparison with Vander is also so off. Vander committed young and decommited young. I doubt he had even taken the ACT at the time he decided to re-open his recruitment.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #391 on: March 28, 2015, 11:09:38 AM »
What do they hope to gain with this story? I see no benefit to publishing this.

brandx

« Reply #392 on: March 28, 2015, 11:13:36 AM »
My father is not Bo Ryan.  I'm just an anonymous idiot like everyone else here, spouting off stuff. 

Brena Ryan has direct access to the person that knows everything and that carries a responsibility, weather actual knowledge or a mere appearance, that she does not understand.

And she's a kid. You're an adult??

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #393 on: March 28, 2015, 11:15:50 AM »
And she's a kid. You're an adult??

Actually she is adult too, she is 19.  That is old enough to understand what she is doing.

MU_Beav

• Starter
« Reply #394 on: March 28, 2015, 11:17:04 AM »
Good God what an embarrassing story and meltdown by Bo's kid.  Hubris run wild.  Go Cats.

brandx

« Reply #395 on: March 28, 2015, 11:22:09 AM »
Badger fans being despicable and making excuses for St. Bo with thinly veiled racism?

It must be a day that ends in d-a-y.

Have you read this thread? You really are gonna criticize Badger fans for being despicable?

A "cum dumpster"? You people are sick. I'll take a Badger fan over a many of the people here every day that ends with d-a-y.

Wake up! There are just as many classless fools on this site as there are on their forums.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #396 on: March 28, 2015, 11:35:10 AM »
Have you read this thread? You really are gonna criticize Badger fans for being despicable?

A "cum dumpster"? You people are sick. I'll take a Badger fan over a many of the people here every day that ends with d-a-y.

Wake up! There are just as many classless fools on this site as there are on their forums.

It's not "you people".  It's ZFB.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #397 on: March 28, 2015, 11:40:22 AM »

+1.  Very inappropriate to describe her that way.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #398 on: March 28, 2015, 11:43:10 AM »
It's not "you people".  It's ZFB.

I thought the term "you people" is racist.

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #399 on: March 28, 2015, 11:48:24 AM »
The expense of playing AAU ball must be staggering for some/most parents when there is no sponsorship.  Freeport, do the majority of teams not get sponsored?
I would say most of the sponsorship is through gear (uniforms, shoes, warmups, etc.). The rest is on the team (parents). For instance, the five hs NY2LA tourney's cost $2400 - $2600 (for all of them). Add some out of state tourneys, hotels, travel, etc. and you can see it add up quickly. I would say team fees in the area range from $500 - $1,000 per kid. That would be in line with WI Shooters, WI Swing, Playground Wariors, Ray Allen, DTA, Playground Elite. In high school, a lot of teams finish their season in Las Vegas at the Fab 48, Las Vegas Classic, Adidas Uprising, etc. Just imagine the costs of just getting there. All programs try to do some amount of fundraising, but it is difficult. Obviously, the better the team, the more elite tourneys they enter. That is where the heavy travel and sponsorship really come in. And I think that was my point from earlier -- Diamond (and high-level dudes like him) aren't worrying about how to get to Nike Peach Jam or UA's Jayhawk Invitation and where they can get a $45 room rate like most. I can only speak for myself -- at good AAU program like those listed above, the team budget will be $10,000 and that doesn't include major travel, hotel, expenses. Some groups pay coaches. Some pay for coaches' travel and meals. Some pay for gym rental. Embroidery. Alternate shooting shirts. Insurance. Balls. It all adds up. Craziest amount I heard a few years back was some team from Iowa where each kid paid something like over $3,000 or $4,000. I believe it was year round and they had 24/7 gym access, but that blew my mind.