[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

Who is the starting PG for MU in '15-'16?

Duane Wilson
37 (31.9%)
Carter
41 (35.3%)
Cheatham
2 (1.7%)
TBD Graduate transfer
20 (17.2%)
TBD JUCO
16 (13.8%)

Total Members Voted: 116

Author Topic: Starting PG for 15-16  (Read 9209 times)

tower912

• All American
Starting PG for 15-16
« on: March 09, 2015, 08:58:44 AM »
So.... who starts at the point for MU next year?   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
Re: Starting PG for 15-16
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 09:45:14 AM »
Yogi Ferrell or Michael Gbinije.

I admittedly don't know for sure if either are in a position to graduate this spring/summer, but if so, both could pursue a graduate transfer, which admittedly neither have said they're going to do yet.

But I can dream.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 09:50:52 AM »
So.... who starts at the point for MU next year?  

How about; "We don't know yet"?

There is much still TBD.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 10:07:33 AM »
Nic Moore?  ;D

My guess would either be Carter or a transfer. Because I expect Wojo to pursue another transfer target regardless, I voted for a grad transfer. While those are difficult to get, I think this staff's ability to land Carlino and having so much success when zeroing in on their top targets will make them a strong contender for any of the top grad transfers out there. I also think they want the available scholarship for 2016, and a grad transfer would be perfect for that.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2015, 10:16:12 AM »
Yogi Ferrell or Michael Gbinije.

I admittedly don't know for sure if either are in a position to graduate this spring/summer, but if so, both could pursue a graduate transfer, which admittedly neither have said they're going to do yet.

But I can dream.

Michael Gbinije is a 6-7 SF.  I'd take him though if he became available.  Wojo has a connection from Gbinije's Duke days but that may be a hindrance as much as it is a help.

Nic Moore?
Ferrell and Moore would both have a long list of suitors.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2015, 11:05:40 AM »
Ferrell and Moore would both have a long list of suitors.

They would. Not sure why Ferrell's name is coming up...is he on track to graduate early? He's a third-year junior. Gbinje might be able to play the point in a pinch, but it's definitely not his natural position. Looking at the top assist rate guys on Kenpom, here are some possible candidates for grad transfer PGs:

Eric Washington, Miami (OH): 14.5 ppg, 5.5 apg

Washington is a mid-major stud. Leads his team in scoring and assists, excels at getting to the line and converting (79.8% FT). He can also shoot the three a bit (34.7%). Played 2 years at Presbyterian before transferring. Miami loses their #2 scorer and is only 13-18, he might jump at the chance to start at a high-major program for a year.

Jalan West, Northwestern State: 19.2 ppg, 7.5 apg

The redshirt junior put up eye-popping numbers. He can shoot (41.6% 3P, 86.0% FT), dish (#19 Assist rate), get to the line, and defends without fouling. The question is how much his numbers are a product of playing in the Southland. He did average 11.0 ppg/7.5 apg in 4 games against high-major opponents this year.

Juan'ya Green, Hofstra: 17.1 ppg, 6.5 apg

Green is a big (6'2") point that started his career at Niagara. He's a workhorse, having played over 90% of his team's minutes in all three of his college seasons. Pomeroy has him as the MVP of the Colonial and the Pride will likely be the favorite in their league if he returns.

Nic Moore, SMU: 14.4 ppg, 5.3 apg

His stats may not match some of the others on this list, but I'd take him over anyone else. If SMU is facing sanctions, Moore could leave for his senior season. More likely he stays in college than goes pro as he's 5'9" (at most) and probably not as well suited for the next level. Moore was first-team all AAC last year, will likely be the same this year, and is on the Wooden Award top-50. He's a potential All-American next season. As noted, it'd be a long line if he elected to transfer.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2015, 11:07:22 AM »
Michael Gbinije is a 6-7 SF.  I'd take him though if he became available. 

You watch him play much? While not a typical PG by any means, he'd probably be the best option on the roster (assuming all players return and all recruits make it to campus).

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2015, 11:11:39 AM »
They would. Not sure why Ferrell's name is coming up...is he on track to graduate early? He's a third-year junior.

I brought it up, but for some reason thought he was a RS junior. I was wrong.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2015, 11:31:13 AM »
You watch him play much? While not a typical PG by any means, he'd probably be the best option on the roster (assuming all players return and all recruits make it to campus).

Ok, so maybe he's a point forward.

I brought it up, but for some reason thought he was a RS junior. I was wrong.

I thought I've read Ferrell is on track to graduate despite just being in college for 3 years.  Maybe he will, maybe he won't.

BobWildLoyalist

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2015, 11:40:38 AM »
John Dawson transfers back to MU, wins the starting PG spot, his support team jumps back on scoop, MU wins national title. All is right in the world again

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2015, 11:43:22 AM »
I read an interview with Ferrell's dad this morning and it seems that if Yogi leaves IU it's to go to the NBA. I don't see him coming to MU.

Let's lockup Traci and then next year get Cassius Winston. That's my ideal situation.
Bring back FFP!!!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2015, 11:44:08 AM »

If we are going to re-stock our "J's" one of these is a must! I rather prefer Juan'ya as a nice complement to Jajuan.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2015, 11:53:44 AM »
If we don't get carter I think a grad transfer is a must.

If we get carter a grad transfer can still be good, just not a must.

Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

moomoo

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2015, 11:55:11 AM »
They would. Not sure why Ferrell's name is coming up...is he on track to graduate early? He's a third-year junior. Gbinje might be able to play the point in a pinch, but it's definitely not his natural position. Looking at the top assist rate guys on Kenpom, here are some possible candidates for grad transfer PGs:

Eric Washington, Miami (OH): 14.5 ppg, 5.5 apg

Washington is a mid-major stud. Leads his team in scoring and assists, excels at getting to the line and converting (79.8% FT). He can also shoot the three a bit (34.7%). Played 2 years at Presbyterian before transferring. Miami loses their #2 scorer and is only 13-18, he might jump at the chance to start at a high-major program for a year.

The redshirt junior put up eye-popping numbers. He can shoot (41.6% 3P, 86.0% FT), dish (#19 Assist rate), get to the line, and defends without fouling. The question is how much his numbers are a product of playing in the Southland. He did average 11.0 ppg/7.5 apg in 4 games against high-major opponents this year.

Green is a big (6'2") point that started his career at Niagara. He's a workhorse, having played over 90% of his team's minutes in all three of his college seasons. Pomeroy has him as the MVP of the Colonial and the Pride will likely be the favorite in their league if he returns.

Nic Moore, SMU: 14.4 ppg, 5.3 apg

His stats may not match some of the others on this list, but I'd take him over anyone else. If SMU is facing sanctions, Moore could leave for his senior season. More likely he stays in college than goes pro as he's 5'9" (at most) and probably not as well suited for the next level. Moore was first-team all AAC last year, will likely be the same this year, and is on the Wooden Award top-50. He's a potential All-American next season. As noted, it'd be a long line if he elected to transfer.

brewbrother,

this is excellent info.  Thanks.
Silenzio. Parla il moomoo.

muwarrior97

• All American
  • CALVACADE OF BRICKS
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2015, 12:22:27 PM »
If we are going to re-stock our "J's" one of these is a must! I rather prefer Juan'ya as a nice complement to Jajuan.
No more J names unless they can shoot the J

#Shooters #Shooters #Shooters #Shooters #Shooters #Shooters #Shooters
#RGV #ReturnTheWarriorMindset

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2015, 12:51:44 PM »
IMHO, the least likely candidate on the list is Duane.  His A/TO was only 1.15, and that was without having to deal with the press.  I get that he will likely improve, but becoming the primary ballhandler and dealing with pressure could counteract any improvement we see.  Example:  In limited minutes as a frosh and soph, Derrick's A/TO was more than twice what Duane had this year (2.33, 3.2), and didn't change much when he got primary minutes at PG (2.8, 3.23).

Shooting and slashing are great in a PG, but consistently getting upcourt without turning it over is the top priority. 

Duane will be FAR more effective as a 2.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2015, 01:02:38 PM »
IMHO, the least likely candidate on the list is Duane.  His A/TO was only 1.15, and that was without having to deal with the press.  I get that he will likely improve, but becoming the primary ballhandler and dealing with pressure could counteract any improvement we see.  Example:  In limited minutes as a frosh and soph, Derrick's A/TO was more than twice what Duane had this year (2.33, 3.2), and didn't change much when he got primary minutes at PG (2.8, 3.23).

Shooting and slashing are great in a PG, but consistently getting upcourt without turning it over is the top priority.

Duane will be FAR more effective as a 2.

There's some truth to that, but Duane's role this year was to be a two. He rarely brought it up and took the highest percentage of shots on the team this year. In our scheme, Derrick was usually PG1, Matt was PG2, and Duane was more of a SG/SF. Just because he didn't put up PG numbers this year doesn't mean he isn't capable of them.

Also, comparing him to Derrick as an underclassmen isn't really fair, as their roles were vastly different. Derrick was only a backup PG who was there for defense and ball-control. Duane was expected to be the second scoring option and, when Carlino was out, was often the first choice.

And while Duane turned it over more often than Derrick because of his high usage rate, he actually had a lower turnover rate than any of Derrick's four seasons at MU. My guess is the staff is hoping he'll develop into a 4-year Carlino who can be a lead scoring option but also run the offense when necessary.

I have no doubt they would like to get someone else on the roster to be the first choice PG, but if they don't add a transfer, I would think Duane is more likely than Cheatham or Carter, who may or may not be ready to play 25 mpg at the point at this level.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2015, 01:05:34 PM »
No more J names unless they can shoot the J

#Shooters #Shooters #Shooters #Shooters #Shooters #Shooters #Shooters

Absolutely. This should be a requirement!

onepost

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2015, 01:05:40 PM »
Duane will not be playing the 1 next year.  I know that with near certainty.  Carter and/or transfer period.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2015, 01:12:26 PM »
Duane will not be playing the 1 next year.  I know that with near certainty.  Carter and/or transfer period.

Speaking of... any insight on the Carter visit?
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2015, 01:16:03 PM »

Well, this morning 24/7 has Carter picking UConn...and Dequon Miller picking Arkansas State (huh?).   

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2015, 01:17:59 PM »
Well, this morning 24/7 has Carter picking UConn...and Dequon Miller picking Arkansas State (huh?).   

Mark Miller stayed the same so I will trust him so far. But a little frustrating when you hear the "he had a good time and we like that he can play point guard" talk. Was hoping he'd have a decision or at least whispers of a decision...
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2015, 01:21:55 PM »
Also, comparing him to Derrick as an underclassmen isn't really fair, as their roles were vastly different. Derrick was only a backup PG who was there for defense and ball-control. Duane was expected to be the second scoring option and, when Carlino was out, was often the first choice.

Agree that they've had very different roles early in their respective careers...but that was part of my point.  Derrick got to keep focusing on the same primary skill sets his whole career, while a move to PG for Duane would be expecting a change to something totally different.  So while Duane would almost certainly have both more assists and more turnovers as primary ball handler, my fear is that an expectation for him to change roles mid-career might be more likely to tilt the balance in favor of more TOs, or at least make it a wash.

Anyhow, just an opinion.  

onepost

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2015, 01:22:01 PM »

Nope, nothing as of yet.  Last I talked to him he was waiting for Traci at the Al on Friday.  Will definitely let you guys know details when I hear from him.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2015, 02:47:05 PM »
These recruiting sources can get it wrong, but assuming they are right, what about the theorem out there that Wojo always gets his man? He is 100%? (Which is not accurate)
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2015, 02:48:25 PM »
And if we do not land either?
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2015, 03:13:43 PM »
No idea if we will have a grad transfer. If we do, I expect they will have the inside track on the job. But I do think we will have a freshman that can play the point.

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2015, 03:35:04 PM »
I just get the feeling the longer Carter stays uncommitted the harder it is for MU to land him.  I have no inside info, just a hunch.

mattyv1908

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2015, 03:43:27 PM »
Wojo's gotta be careful of class balance IMO.  I know we're needing able bodies and have open scholarships available, but look at our next years classes.

Seniors:  Taylor
Juniors:  Fischer, Johnson, Ellenson
Sophomores:  Wilson, Cohen
Freshmen:  Ellenson, Cheatham, Heldt, Anim

I could see adding one more freshman to the mix, but IMO either a grad transfer, JUCO, or freshman transfer (losing his sophomore season) is a better option than signing multiple HS kids.
Shut this board down at the opening tip.  If they win, open it back up.  If they lose, keep it shut it down until the next morning.  - Sultan of Slurpery

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2015, 03:47:52 PM »
Wojo's gotta be careful of class balance IMO.  I know we're needing able bodies and have open scholarships available, but look at our next years classes.

Seniors:  Taylor
Juniors:  Fischer, Johnson, Ellenson
Sophomores:  Wilson, Cohen
Freshmen:  Ellenson, Cheatham, Heldt, Anim

I could see adding one more freshman to the mix, but IMO either a grad transfer, JUCO, or freshman transfer (losing his sophomore season) is a better option than signing multiple HS kids.

In this day and age I think it matters less. With grad transfers and both sophomore and junior JUCO transfers you can always fill in where needed for balance. With the number of transfers out (we've had three since Wojo arrived) the odds of a class finishing the way it starts is pretty slim. I'm fine with 5 freshmen in this class.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2015, 03:51:31 PM »
In this day and age I think it matters less. With grad transfers and both sophomore and junior JUCO transfers you can always fill in where needed for balance. With the number of transfers out (we've had three since Wojo arrived) the odds of a class finishing the way it starts is pretty slim. I'm fine with 5 freshmen in this class.

Yep.

WarriorPA

• Walk-On
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2015, 03:55:16 PM »
Also hoping Henry does well enough that he is not a four-year player (but maybe not quite so well that he's one and done).