[Today at 09:41:46 AM]

NM by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by DFW HOYA
[Today at 08:41:22 AM]

2024-25 Outlook by WellsstreetWanderer
[April 25, 2024, 10:03:37 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: The Tanned One is in Trouble  (Read 27044 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: The Tanned One is in Trouble
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2015, 06:01:55 PM »
15 years.   One trip past the sweet 16.   Seven year rebuild at I4.   Glass has to support him because he can't afford to fire him.   But he is not the long term answer at I4 anymore. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2015, 06:33:46 PM »
I was kidding about him marketing Indiana. They can't draw flies because their fan base can't stand him. He's tarnished their brand, not enhanced it

I do acknowledge he did a good job marketing marquette, but he's still a gigantic turd.

I caught that and was just trying to leverage off it. 
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2015, 06:43:54 PM »
15 years.   One trip past the sweet 16.   Seven year rebuild at I4.   Glass has to support him because he can't afford to fire him.   But he is not the long term answer at I4 anymore. 

Either Indiana is no longer a good job or Crean isn't a good coach. Those really are the only choices.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2015, 06:45:36 PM »
Crean to Lamar.
SS Marquette

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2015, 11:09:45 PM »
Crean to Lamar.

Rent a Coach. Marquette basically paid for Lamar's coach. As soon as the subsidy ended they dumped Dino for Tubbs.

Death on call

tompopsicle

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2015, 06:14:13 AM »
...Crean never got a quality big after bagging Merritt his first time out.

Technically, he got Robert Jackson, didn't he? While not a traditional 4 year recruit, he still recruited him to MU.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2015, 06:20:55 PM »
Technically, he got Robert Jackson, didn't he? While not a traditional 4 year recruit, he still recruited him to MU.

Can anyone confirm whether this was really a Crean recruitment, and not just Jackson wanting to come back to Milwaukee (after needing to move somewhere for his last year  when Miss State gave him the boot)?  The latter is how I remember it.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2015, 06:21:43 PM »
Not Tom Crean ‏@CreanyTom  57m57 minutes ago
I don't always get out coached, but when I do it's usually in the game of basketball.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2015, 07:27:37 PM »

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2015, 08:27:26 PM »
I was driving around New Haven and this establishment reminded me of the Tanned One...

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2015, 08:28:25 PM »
Tom Crean has about a 1% chance of ever becoming the head coach at DePaul.  Jean Lenti-Ponsetto's attention is more focused on other athletic teams, namely the women's basketball team.  In several DePaul games I've attended this year at Allstate Arena, she was nowhere to be found at the games.  Oliver Purnell will be head coach until his contract ends, which is another 3 seasons.  

Crean won't be fired after this season.  Next year (possibly) could be a different story.  He would be in high demand due to his PR abilities and resume.  Unlike a guy like Ben Howland, he didn't have an SI story shred his leadership qualities (yet anyways).  

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2015, 08:40:38 PM »
Not scheduling this game may have cost Crean a bid...

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2015, 08:53:22 PM »

Pretty sure he just crapped his trousers, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2015, 10:19:28 PM »
Indiana fans have a way over-inflated opinion of their program present day.  This is not the 70's and 80's under Bobby Knight anymore, they just are no longer among the elites in college basketball, and haven't been for a long time now.  Crean has brought them a Big Ten regular season title and two Sweet 16's when that program was in shambles when he took over.   

I don't know who their fan base envisions bringing to Bloomington so far superior to Crean.  I really don't think there's anyone.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2015, 10:43:12 PM »
I was driving around New Haven and this establishment reminded me of the Tanned One...

I love the "No Commitments" tag line. That works with Tanned Tommy in many ways...

Death on call

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2015, 11:00:48 PM »
If you didn't see it yet, one of Crean's guys may had the highlight of the year today.   Where he started his jump, how high the ball was when he got his hand on it, and then to control the ball from that height and throw it down with authority - I saw it live and was just jaw dropping  :o :o

http://www.gamedaypost.com/2015/03/07/indianas-hanner-mosquera-perea-throws-down-putback-dunk/

MU82

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2015, 11:03:17 PM »
Indiana fans have a way over-inflated opinion of their program present day.  This is not the 70's and 80's under Bobby Knight anymore, they just are no longer among the elites in college basketball, and haven't been for a long time now.  Crean has brought them a Big Ten regular season title and two Sweet 16's when that program was in shambles when he took over.   

I don't know who their fan base envisions bringing to Bloomington so far superior to Crean.  I really don't think there's anyone.

This is quite possibly true. Indiana has been to one Final Four in the last 23 years -- and one could argue that even that one, under Mike Davis in 2002, was kind of a fluke.

In the last two decades, the Hoosiers have made it to the second weekend only three times.

This steady decline began under Bobby Knight, who stopped attracting top recruits when they realized there were many excellent coaches who wouldn't physically and mentally abuse them. It continued under Davis. It continued under Sampson. It has continued under Crean.

That's 4 coaches, including a Hall of Famer, who weren't able to win big consistently at Indiana over a 20-year span.

At some point, when the success stops, a blue blood simply no longer is a blue blood. We Warriors know that better than most.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2015, 06:57:14 AM »
Dakich was criticizing everything IU did.   Bad defense, bad offense, bad rebounding, and then saying that those who want to get rid of Crean are crazy.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

goinUptown

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2015, 08:30:23 AM »
This is quite possibly true. Indiana has been to one Final Four in the last 23 years -- and one could argue that even that one, under Mike Davis in 2002, was kind of a fluke.

In the last two decades, the Hoosiers have made it to the second weekend only three times.

This steady decline began under Bobby Knight, who stopped attracting top recruits when they realized there were many excellent coaches who wouldn't physically and mentally abuse them. It continued under Davis. It continued under Sampson. It has continued under Crean.

That's 4 coaches, including a Hall of Famer, who weren't able to win big consistently at Indiana over a 20-year span.

At some point, when the success stops, a blue blood simply no longer is a blue blood. We Warriors know that better than most.

You guys are both spot on.  I live in Indianapolis so am subject to their delusional images of where they think they belong in the pecking order that is college hoops; most of them still categorize their program with Duke,  UNC,  Kentucky,  the true blue blood crowd.  Also,  as within any hierarchy,  they really love to point out how a program such as Marquette's is so inferior. Of course,  over the last twenty years MU's program has performed better,  and our history during the seventies is comparable (not as impressive I know but certainly worth mentioning especially considering RMK did many times)   to theirs during the seventies and eighties,  but why bring up those facts when it doesn't fit their narrative?

They appear to want to beat up the one they perceive as just beneath them to feel their (supposed)  superiority.

AlsDisciple (aka/goinUptown)

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2015, 09:21:35 AM »
Grew up in SB.

IU hardcore fans are almost as bad as ND fans.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2015, 11:18:27 AM »
If you didn't see it yet, one of Crean's guys may had the highlight of the year today.   Where he started his jump, how high the ball was when he got his hand on it, and then to control the ball from that height and throw it down with authority - I saw it live and was just jaw dropping  :o :o

http://www.gamedaypost.com/2015/03/07/indianas-hanner-mosquera-perea-throws-down-putback-dunk/

Presty sure Too Tan Tommy taught him that move, or at least will take credit for it, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
SS Marquette

WarriorHal

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2015, 04:15:17 PM »
Indiana and Marquette are both once great programs that are now good. They really are pretty much equal in national standing. Indiana was great because of Knight; MU was great because of Al. Neither has gotten back to elite status. Crean made at best a lateral move and did so in a less than OK manner. Hence the lingering resentment, even though most MU fans are very glad he's gone.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2015, 05:17:33 PM »
Not scheduling this game may have cost Crean a bid...

This is f ucking great!

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2015, 05:23:32 PM »
Indiana and Marquette are both once great programs that are now good. They really are pretty much equal in national standing. Indiana was great because of Knight; MU was great because of Al. Neither has gotten back to elite status. Crean made at best a lateral move and did so in a less than OK  gutless, cowardly, chicken sh1t manner. Hence the lingering resentment, even though most MU fans are very glad he's gone.

Death on call