'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by willie warrior
[Today at 03:50:16 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: The Tanned One is in Trouble  (Read 26815 times)

dgies9156

• All American
The Tanned One is in Trouble
« on: March 06, 2015, 01:35:03 PM »
Saw this on ESPN today. Looks like the Tanned One is in trouble. Anytime a university athletic director expresses full confidence in his coach, the coach is a step from being out the door

Tom Crean's job at Indiana is not in jeopardy, and athletic director Fred Glass told ESPN on Thursday that he fully supports the Hoosiers' coach.

Glass said he had to respond after a 77-63 home loss to Iowa on Tuesday dropped the Hoosiers to 9-8 in the Big Ten, 19-11 overall heading into Saturday's regular-season finale against Michigan State at Assembly Hall.

CAGASS24

• All American
Re: The Tanned One is in Trouble
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 01:49:54 PM »
Typically that's the case when the support statements are terse and vague.  however in this case the AD goes on and on and on about why he wants crean there.  He's safe for another season
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 01:51:30 PM by CAGASS24 »

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 01:59:00 PM »
They will make the tourney and his job will be secure for another year. I think it helps Marquette when our former coaches and players do well.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 01:59:45 PM »
I put this thought on the wrong blog. COMMENTS on Jim Boehim and Syracuse getting the book thrown at them by the NCAA.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 02:07:33 PM »
Someone elsewhere brought up the idea of Crean taking over at DePaul. That could be a disaster for us. Would give Crean a huge market and fertile recruiting ground, he already has a ton of Midwestern connections, and with DePaul dropping 9/10 (and potentially 11/12 by next week) it would be easy to justify firing Purnell. Crean is exactly what they need down there, a good recruiter, great motivator, and probably one of the best showmen to build a program in the country. In addition, he would have the glitz of the big city and Big East without the pressure of "It's Indiana, It's Indiana". Really hope that doesn't come to pass.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2015, 02:37:56 PM »
He'll be there a long, long time. Chicos will have them banned from cable if Crean is fired.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2015, 02:47:15 PM »
Someone elsewhere brought up the idea of Crean taking over at DePaul. That could be a disaster for us. Would give Crean a huge market and fertile recruiting ground, he already has a ton of Midwestern connections, and with DePaul dropping 9/10 (and potentially 11/12 by next week) it would be easy to justify firing Purnell. Crean is exactly what they need down there, a good recruiter, great motivator, and probably one of the best showmen to build a program in the country. In addition, he would have the glitz of the big city and Big East without the pressure of "It's Indiana, It's Indiana". Really hope that doesn't come to pass.

Fear Crean as a recruiter?  At DePaul?  Shirley, you jest.

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2015, 02:54:17 PM »
Fear Crean as a recruiter?  At DePaul?  Shirley, you jest.

Crean is a great marketer. If anyone could sell DePaul on actually investing in their program, it's him. And players commit to coaches, not schools. That's why Marquette got Ellenson, why LSU is landing a top-tier 2015 class, and why Kentucky is #1 year in and year out (they weren't pre-Cal). If they gave him resources (and it's DPU, so who knows?) he would be able to kill it there.

Of course, the problem is that Jean Lenti-Ponsetto is pretty much a part of that institution, and as long as she's there I don't expect them to put forth a real investment in men's basketball. But if he did go there, yeah, I do think we'd have some cause for concern.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2015, 03:04:25 PM »
Crean is a great marketer. If anyone could sell DePaul on actually investing in their program, it's him. And players commit to coaches, not schools. That's why Marquette got Ellenson, why LSU is landing a top-tier 2015 class, and why Kentucky is #1 year in and year out (they weren't pre-Cal). If they gave him resources (and it's DPU, so who knows?) he would be able to kill it there.

Of course, the problem is that Jean Lenti-Ponsetto is pretty much a part of that institution, and as long as she's there I don't expect them to put forth a real investment in men's basketball. But if he did go there, yeah, I do think we'd have some cause for concern.

You hit a very important nail on the head with Jean Lenti-Ponsetto.  DePaul doesn't invest much in men's basketball beyond the head coaching salary which they keep competitive.  That limits recruiting resources.  When Crean moved to Indiana it was rightly seen as a step up while a move from Indiana to DePaul would rightly be seen as a step down.  Recruits are hip to that.  In nine years here, Crean never got a quality big after bagging Merritt his first time out.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 03:06:08 PM by LittleWade »

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2015, 03:08:56 PM »
Crean is a great marketer.
Crean has done a great job marketing Indiana.

He'd be a terrible hire for DePaul, another in a growing list of retreads. I never understood why they don't do what Marquette has done and hire assistants or head coaches from lower tier schools.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2015, 03:15:24 PM »
Crean has done a great job marketing Indiana, to future coaching hires.

He'd be a terrible hire for DePaul, another in a growing list of retreads. I never understood why they don't do what Marquette has done and hire assistants or head coaches from lower tier schools.

FIFY

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2015, 03:18:39 PM »
Crean has done a great job marketing Indiana.

Actually, DePaul did that in 2002 with the Dave Leitao hiring.  He was actually good for DePaul for several seasons before bailing out to take the Virginia HC job in 2005.  Leitao served 2 stints under Calhoun at UConn wrapped around a HC stint at his alma mater, Northeastern.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2015, 03:31:03 PM »
Who cares?
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

MattyWarrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2015, 04:07:51 PM »
Bazz can coach at Its Indiana!

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2015, 04:10:33 PM »
Who cares?

When you're 11-18 and staring at a long off-season, anything to distract from that record (like our ex-coach possibly going to one of our rivals) is worth discussing to pass the time.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2015, 04:12:43 PM »
Typically that's the case when the support statements are terse and vague.  however in this case the AD goes on and on and on about why he wants crean there.  He's safe for another season

I was extremely impressed by the openness and breadth of the Indiana AD. I would posit that Crean is safe for at least another season.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MU1980

• Starter
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2015, 04:13:09 PM »
They will make the tourney and his job will be secure for another year. I think it helps Marquette when our former coaches and players do well.

I never understand why people think our former coaches doing well at another school helps us.  We do not want Marquette to be a stepping stone job as both O'Neil and Crean viewed it, and their relative lack of success helps us in a big way.  I like to see the former coaches have less success at their new school than they did at Marquette as it validates that the coaching job at Marquette is indeed set up for a coach to be very successful and running off to a place like Indiana is not always the best move.  When Wojo has tremendous success at Marquette over the next few years, I want him to remember how the coaches that left here did not have more success and in the case of O'Neil, had a string of failures that had him longing for his Marquette days.  

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2015, 04:15:27 PM »
I never understand why people think our former coaches doing well at another school helps us.  We do not want Marquette to be a stepping stone job as both O'Neil and Crean viewed it, and their relative lack of success helps us in a big way.  I like to see the former coaches have less success at their new school than they did at Marquette as it validates that the coaching job at Marquette is indeed set up for a coach to be very successful and running off to a place like Indiana is not always the best move.  When Wojo has tremendous success at Marquette over the next few years, I want him to remember how the coaches that left here did not have more success and in the case of O'Neil, had a string of failures that had him longing for his Marquette days.  

Alright, alright, alright.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2015, 04:25:51 PM »
He'll last one more season.

It's the buyout that's drops off after next season.

http://www.tomcreanbuyout.com/
SS Marquette

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2015, 04:29:45 PM »
He'll last one more season.

It's the buyout that's drops off after next season.

http://www.tomcreanbuyout.com/

And some ninnys say that Indiana fan interest is falling off.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2015, 04:35:46 PM »
Sneak in as last team and win two games. People won't remember this non-story conversation.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2015, 05:14:32 PM »

Winner winner, chicken dinner! Very well said.
We want MU to be a destination, not a stepping stone. If coaches leave for greener pastures only to find out those pastures weren't so green after all......MU looks much better.
I wish NO success to Crean and Brent, so the world sees their selfish moves as detriments to their coaching  careers.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2015, 05:29:45 PM »

Well said (from another 1980 grad).

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2015, 05:34:49 PM »
FIFY
I was kidding about him marketing Indiana. They can't draw flies because their fan base can't stand him. He's tarnished their brand, not enhanced it

I do acknowledge he did a good job marketing marquette, but he's still a gigantic turd.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2015, 05:54:13 PM »
Crean hasn't tarnished their brand. They were in NCAA hell when he arrived. He built excitement, brought in top notch recruits, and made Indiana a proud program again. The problem he has is he succeeded too much too soon. Zellar & Oladipo built expectations up, but Crean hasn't continued to deliver.

The same thing happened at Marquette. Great team with Wade, big fall off. The difference is we were willing to be patient through the NIT years, IU fans are not. Crean will never be everything for every program, and I don't think he's a good fit at IU. However he's a great fit somewhere like Marquette or DePaul to build fan interest, draw recruits, and have moderate success.

He's not a blue blood coach. That's pretty clear. But somewhere like DePaul is ideal for him. Low expectations, fertile recruiting base, and if he has enough ups (like he did both here and at Indiana) they will let him get away with the downs (unlike IU and maybe now us).

feedback