[Today at 07:54:34 PM]

Where is Marquette? by MU Fan in Connecticut
[Today at 07:52:45 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by MarquetteVol
[Today at 07:30:33 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Goose
[Today at 07:05:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Degree from Wisconsin ... 'It's not like you have to be a rocket scientist.'  (Read 2584 times)

MU Avenue

• Team Captain
Paul Chryst, the new football coach at the University of Wisconsin at Madison and a 1988 graduate of the University of Wisconsin at Madison, said this week that he expects his players to earn college degrees.

"I got a degree from Wisconsin. It's not like you have to be a rocket scientist," Chryst told hundreds of business leaders during a meeting of the state chamber of commerce, where speakers also included Gov. Scott Walker, who went to college at Marquette University but didn't graduate.

I think it refreshing that an alumnus of the University of Wisconsin at Madison -- now the school's head football coach -- speaks honestly and accurately about the university and what is required of a typical undergraduate student in Madison.

In other words, studying at the University of Wisconsin at Madison is a lot like studying at hundreds of other colleges or universities across the country. Not tougher. Not easier.

THE AP STORY:

Wisconsin football coach Chryst jokes that if he can get college degree, players can too

By SCOTT BAUER
Associated Press

MADISON, Wisconsin -- Wisconsin football coach Paul Chryst joked Wednesday that if he can get a college degree, it's not too much to ask of his players.

"I got a degree from Wisconsin. It's not like you have to be a rocket scientist," Chryst told hundreds of business leaders during a meeting of the state chamber of commerce, where speakers also included Gov. Scott Walker, who went to college at Marquette University but didn't graduate.

Chryst was hired after the abrupt departure of Gary Andersen, who said in interviews that the school's tough admissions standards made it difficult for him to recruit players. Chryst, who played quarterback for the Badgers, graduated with a political science degree from the University of Wisconsin in 1988, and said he emphasizes the importance of getting an education with his players.

"I've been asked this quite a bit, about the high standards academically," Chryst said in his 7-minute speech. "I think that's one of the things that separates Wisconsin from a lot of places. ... Everything we do in the program is to help them get a meaningful degree."

Chryst, a Madison native, also earned a master's degree in educational administration from the University of West Virginia.

Walker didn't reference Chryst's comments when he took the stage moments later. The Republican governor, who is taking steps toward running for president, attended Marquette for three years but dropped out in the spring of 1990 after getting a job with the American Red Cross. Walker also studied political science.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 12:41:10 PM by MU Avenue »

Norm

• All American
I have an undergraduate degree form Marquette and a graduate degree from UW-Madison. Both schools are good, and having attended both, I can tell you that by no means should UW folks be bragging about the superiority of the degree they got from that school compared to Marquette.

MU Avenue

• Team Captain
‘By no means?’
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 08:36:17 PM »
I have an undergraduate degree form Marquette and a graduate degree from UW-Madison. Both schools are good, and having attended both, I can tell you that by no means should UW folks be bragging about the superiority of the degree they got from that school compared to Marquette.

Hey, Norm, when you write, “I can tell you that by no means should UW folks be bragging about the superiority of the degree they got from that school compared to Marquette,” you mean what?

My main point here is that I hear or read a lot from folks who are attending or who have attended the University of Wisconsin at Madison. They seem oddly impressed that they are or were among the more than 43,000 students “allowed” to enroll each year at the University of Wisconsin at Madison.

They also seem oddly impressed that a university whose annual operating budget has skyrocketed to an astronomical $2.9 billion, and a university that employs 16,000, is actually able to accomplish something with ALL of that money and ALL of those employees.

The University of Wisconsin at Madison is another on a long, long list of good universities. Just like dear ol’ Marquette.

Norm

• All American
I mean that you don't have to work any harder or be a ton smarter to get a degree from UW-Madison than Marquette. Both are good universities that offer a good education. There is nothing "special" about a UW-Madison degree that makes it superior to a Marquette one.

Nukem2

• All American
I mean that you don't have to work any harder or be a ton smarter to get a degree from UW-Madison than Marquette. Both are good universities that offer a good education. There is nothing "special" about a UW-Madison degree that makes it superior to a Marquette one.
Agreed.  The major difference between schools resides mostly in research and advanced programs.  Not at the undergraduate level save some of the Ivy schools, NW, Stanford and the like.

NCMUFan

• All American
Superbar