[Today at 05:29:26 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:04:53 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Uncle Rico
[Today at 04:46:35 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[Today at 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wesley Matthews Tears Achilles - Out for season  (Read 5433 times)

BM1090

• All American
Wesley Matthews Tears Achilles - Out for season
« on: March 06, 2015, 12:15:53 AM »
Tough,  tough break for a guy having his best season for a very good team. Get well soon, Wes.

Ohbie

• Walk-On
Wes Matthews to Miss Rest of Season with Torn Achilles
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 12:18:39 AM »
Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojNBA): Portland’s Wesley Matthews suffered a left torn Achilles tendon and will miss the rest of season, a league source tells Yahoo Sports

https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/573727779218395136

I was watching the Blazers - Mavs game tonight on TNT and saw the injury live. Initial reaction was that it looked like an Achilles injury and it's now been confirmed, Wes is out done for the year. Big blow to the Trail Blazers and their playoff chances.

Here's to a speedy recovery for Wes.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
Re: Wes Matthews to Miss Rest of Season with Torn Achilles
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 12:46:57 AM »
I was listening to the radio feed of the game and one of the broadcasters mentioned the Blazers did a great job of drafting/acquiring quality players with a chip on their shoulder.

Then he proceeded to say "Damon Lillard from Weber State...and Wesley Matthews, undrafted and then acquired from the Jazz..." There was a moment of lapse after it like he wanted to say the college where Wes was from but forgot.

He just proceeded to make his point with no mention of Marquette.
SS Marquette

tower912

• All American
Re: Wesley Matthews Tears Achilles - Out for season
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 05:21:17 AM »
Damn.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 05:29:30 AM »
Come back stronger than ever, Wes.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2015, 07:48:44 AM »
Beyond horrible. And in his contract year too.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2015, 08:53:32 AM »
Contract year for him.  How long is the recovery time for a torn Achilles?  I thought it could be up to a year, but heard the number 6-8 weeks thrown around.  That seems incredibly short.  If his chances of a big contract take a hit because of this the Bucks better do everything they can to get him in Milwaukee.  Wisconsin kid who plays a spot of need and a roll of need (shooter).  Bring him in and draft a center and in 2 years you're one of the top teams in the East.

Also sucks for the Blazers.  They have the makeup of a team that could win the Title.  Shooters in Batum and Wes, stud point guard and big in Lillard and Aldridge, rim protecting big in Lopez, perimeter defender in Wes, and 6th man in Aflolo.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2015, 09:14:37 AM »
Contract year for him.  How long is the recovery time for a torn Achilles?  I thought it could be up to a year, but heard the number 6-8 weeks thrown around.  That seems incredibly short.  If his chances of a big contract take a hit because of this the Bucks better do everything they can to get him in Milwaukee.  Wisconsin kid who plays a spot of need and a roll of need (shooter).  Bring him in and draft a center and in 2 years you're one of the top teams in the East.

6-8 months, so best case scenario he'd be back for training camp. I'm guessing Portland gives him a 1 year deal.

I was all about the Bucks going after him, but after this, isn't re-signing Middleton a safer bet?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2015, 09:19:11 AM »
6-8 months, so best case scenario he'd be back for training camp. I'm guessing Portland gives him a 1 year deal.

I was all about the Bucks going after him, but after this, isn't re-signing Middleton a safer bet?

Gotcha.  So I either misheard or whoever I heard it from misspoke weeks vs. months.

Resigning Middleton might be safer but at the same time Wes doesn't rely on athleticism in his game, so I think he should be able to come back and play well after this injury.  Either way the Bucks need to get some scorers and particularly shooters.  Giannis and Parker will be able to score at the rim and (hopefully Giannis but definitely Parker) in the mid range.  A couple of outside shooters like Matthews would be ideal.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2015, 09:22:16 AM »
Resigning Middleton might be safer but at the same time Wes doesn't rely on athleticism in his game, so I think he should be able to come back and play well after this injury.  Either way the Bucks need to get some scorers and particularly shooters.  Giannis and Parker will be able to score at the rim and (hopefully Giannis but definitely Parker) in the mid range.  A couple of outside shooters like Matthews would be ideal.

Just checked... OJ will be a free agent after next season. So he'd definitely be a trade piece as an expiring contract. There might be room for both.

w0bbie

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2015, 09:51:35 AM »

What makes you say that?  He was set to get a max (or nearly) before the injury.  Since he will be an unrestricted free agent, Portland's main advantage is that they can offer him an extra year that other teams can't.  After next season the salary cap is going to skyrocket.  This means that giving him a max deal this year will not have nearly as much impact down the road.  If you give him a one year deal and he comes back playing at the same or higher level, you risk having to pay him even more.

I think that some team is still going to offer him a max deal (Knicks).  I think the most likely outcome is that he stays in Portand on the full 5-year contract at near max money.  They might be able to get a bit of a discount due to the injury and the extra year they can offer (this will likely be the last big deal he gets, so more total guaranteed money is probably better than a higher per season price).  Keeping L.A. happy will also play a significant role in Portland's desire to resign Wesley.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2015, 10:08:31 AM »
What makes you say that?  He was set to get a max (or nearly) before the injury.  Since he will be an unrestricted free agent, Portland's main advantage is that they can offer him an extra year that other teams can't.  After next season the salary cap is going to skyrocket.  This means that giving him a max deal this year will not have nearly as much impact down the road.  If you give him a one year deal and he comes back playing at the same or higher level, you risk having to pay him even more.

The track record of players coming back from an Achilles tear made me say that. I hope you're right about him still getting paid. He's certainly earned it.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2015, 10:20:49 AM »
I don't think Wes was going to get max money before the injury, and I certainly don't think he will now after the injury.

w0bbie

• Starter
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2015, 11:45:53 AM »
I don't think Wes was going to get max money before the injury, and I certainly don't think he will now after the injury.

Maybe not, but see the below from Bill Simmons that speculated on a max contract.  The  reason I don't think the injury will really change his value is that demand is high for a good 2-way SG.  I think at least one team will gamble on him returning to form and throw him a max offer.  I think that will force Portland to give him a similar offer so that he stays.  If they let him walk, I think L.A. is lot more willing to hear out other offers (Spurs), and they won't want to risk that.  I could have no idea what I'm talking about though, I guess we'll find out this summer.

http://grantland.com/features/2015-nba-trade-value-part-1/

39. Wesley Matthews
 A 2015 market max guy with short-term trade value because he’s so useful. Last time I checked, A-list defenders with playoff experience who crank 7 and a half 3s per game and make 40 percent aren’t growing on trees. Is there a better player who has played six years or more without making an All-Star team?

From earlier in the article, defining "market max":
Important note: With the NBA’s salary cap about to morph into 30 Jerry Bruckheimer action movie budgets, we can’t blindly toss around the phrase “max player” anymore. Durant is a max player no matter what the market is. Same for LeBron and Harden and Marc Gasol and maybe 15 other guys. But Knight could get the max only because these next three summers are going to seem like everyone made NBA Live rosters with the rules turned off. Is Brandon Knight a max player? No way. But he might be something I just made up: “a market max player.”

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2015, 02:50:57 PM »
Class act.  Here's Wesley's Instagram post from today:

I would be lying if I did not admit to having tears fall down my face this morning because I was hoping to just be waking up from a bad dream. I’m sorry this response took this long but none of it felt real, and to be honest, it still doesn’t. My season is over and my will, my heart, my faith and my strength will now be tested, which is a challenge I welcome. Though my season is over, #ripcity’s season is far from over! And I will be there ‘till the end! As I read through all the messages via text and Twitter, I was in awe. I was in shock and disbelief not only because of the injury, but because I never could have imagined how many people could be genuinely hurt, sad and upset for me. To my coaches- thank you; to my brothers and teammates- thank you; to my fans and #ripcity- thank you; to my family and friends- thank you! Like most of my life, a challenge has been placed in front of me—a challenge that will be nothing but another chapter in my story. THANK YOU FOR YOUR LOVE, SUPPOR T & PRAYERS. See you on the court next season. #arrowlife out. -Ironman

Get well soon Wes.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

AZWarrior

• All American
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2015, 04:15:24 PM »
Class act.  Here's Wesley's Instagram post from today:

I would be lying if I did not admit to having tears fall down my face this morning because I was hoping to just be waking up from a bad dream. I’m sorry this response took this long but none of it felt real, and to be honest, it still doesn’t. My season is over and my will, my heart, my faith and my strength will now be tested, which is a challenge I welcome. Though my season is over, #ripcity’s season is far from over! And I will be there ‘till the end! As I read through all the messages via text and Twitter, I was in awe. I was in shock and disbelief not only because of the injury, but because I never could have imagined how many people could be genuinely hurt, sad and upset for me. To my coaches- thank you; to my brothers and teammates- thank you; to my fans and #ripcity- thank you; to my family and friends- thank you! Like most of my life, a challenge has been placed in front of me—a challenge that will be nothing but another chapter in my story. THANK YOU FOR YOUR LOVE, SUPPOR T & PRAYERS. See you on the court next season. #arrowlife out. -Ironman

Get well soon Wes.

Wow, what a wonderful, classy statement by Wes. I hope he heals completely and eventually gets all he has coming to him.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

feedback