[April 25, 2024, 09:43:05 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Uncle Rico
[April 25, 2024, 05:51:25 PM]

Campus camp-out with cool flags? by FreewaysBurnerAccount
[April 25, 2024, 04:52:25 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 25, 2024, 02:51:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: HBO Now coming for $15 per month  (Read 1214 times)

Stronghold

• All American
HBO Now coming for $15 per month
« on: March 05, 2015, 09:50:39 PM »
Will launch before Game of Thrones season 5 premiere.  I think it's great timing but don't know if I'd pay $15 a month for it.  Maybe if you get a few people to throw in $5 each it'd be worth it.  They don't stop you from sharing HBO Go accounts so I don't know if this will be any different.

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
Re: HBO Now coming for $15 per month
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 08:33:53 AM »
What's the difference between HBO Now and HBO Go?

Stronghold

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 03:22:04 PM »
From what I gather HBO Now is a stand alone service that doesn't require you to have a cable subscription.  It's all via streaming.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 05:07:57 PM »
Not sure if they've revealed anything on the VOD library that it would have, which is a pretty big piece.  Don't think it's bad at all when the alternative is pirate streams and downloads, or a cable subscription with HBO.  Especially if they go the route of most streaming services and let you cancel anytime with a couple clicks - three months for Game of Thrones, don't pay unless something else you want comes along.  Definitely one of my favorite things about most of the new options; as customers get smarter and have more option, it's a big deterrent to have to lock into contracts, call to receive promotional pricing, and when you're finally ready to cancel you have to call and spend a half hour with retention people.  MLB.TV has made a ton off of me since I can easily cancel when the Brewers start sucking, then come crawling back again by the start of the next season, sometimes sooner - if I had to call, be put on hold, argue with someone, and decline three offers for a lower rate I'd have never bothered to sign up again.

MUMountin

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 05:24:40 PM »
They don't stop you from sharing HBO Go accounts so I don't know if this will be any different.

My guess is that they will crack down on this with both HBO Go and Now--I think they did it as a way to get a bunch of non-cable people hooked prior to their release of HBO Now (genius move, if you ask me). 

As someone who shares an HBO Go account, I've fully been expecting that when they roll out Now, they will cut off the free-riders on HBOGo.  They may allow limited multiple streaming on HBONow (similar to how Netflix allows up to two streaming devices at once on their normal plan), but I'd be surprised if they didn't put pretty tight limits on it.