2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WeAreMarquette96
[April 15, 2024, 10:20:46 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Zog from Margo
[April 15, 2024, 10:12:01 PM]

Going Portaling: Which Portal Prospect do you want and why? by DoctorV
[April 15, 2024, 09:54:11 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Tyler COLEk
[April 15, 2024, 08:53:41 PM]

[Paint Touches] Shaka reaffirms MU commitment by TSmith34, Inc.
[April 15, 2024, 07:07:35 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by PGsHeroes32
[April 15, 2024, 06:38:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Teve is a Stud  (Read 9926 times)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Teve is a Stud
« on: March 05, 2015, 09:39:03 PM »
Second best rebounds/game in a generation!  http://statsheet.com/mcb/games/stats/players?season1=1997&season2=2014&conf=&team=marquette&stat=rebounds_total

Blind Pat Smith (Blackheart) holds the record at 28!

JakeBarnes

• All American
Re: Teve is a Stud
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 03:43:57 AM »
He has really turned it on and reestablished his identity. Would love to see him take charge and become a tough 3/4 role on next year's team. If he keeps hustling like that  a lineup with duane/teve/henry/Fischer could be dangerous
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 07:37:11 AM »
Let's remember that it was one game.  But no doubt Steve has started to blossom in the role.  It's where he belongs and he should be applauded for taking one for the good of the team this year by sliding to the center position.  If he can give us 8 points and 8 rebounds in 25 minutes next year I'd be thrilled.  I think he absolutely can.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 07:47:23 AM »
David Boone was best rebounder day in and day out IMO. He made watching a guy rebound fun.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 08:14:16 AM »
His freshman year he looked like he was going to be a great rebounder.  He has great strong hands and usually corrals the ball if he gets his hand on it.  Unfortunately, that is his only plus dimension at the moment, though.  I think injuries have robbed him of much-needed athleticism and agility, which has hurt him on defense.  Hopefully, he can develop a soft jump hook.  I think his overall footwork is a work in progress but getting better.  I still think he may surprise next year and be pretty good.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

4th and State

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2015, 08:26:57 AM »
His freshman year he looked like he was going to be a great rebounder.  He has great strong hands and usually corrals the ball if he gets his hand on it.  Unfortunately, that is his only plus dimension at the moment, though.  I think injuries have robbed him of much-needed athleticism and agility, which has hurt him on defense.  Hopefully, he can develop a soft jump hook.  I think his overall footwork is a work in progress but getting better.  I still think he may surprise next year and be pretty good.

100% agree.  His freshman year he looked like he could dominate the boards.  His post moves have really developed this year, but he still misses a lot of easy buckets he should have.  Biggest issue is his defense needs to improve.  If that happens, along with some more progression in his offensive game, I can see him having a good senior year and becoming the guy we thought he would.

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Teve is a Tud
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2015, 08:47:40 AM »
Fixed the subject of my post for you, ai'na?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2015, 09:00:00 AM »
Maybe Steve can be our Rakeem Christmas. If he could finish at the rim and hit the elbow jumper (I do think he has enough touch for that) he could be a real contributor. If not, hopefully Henry and Wally can fill in the rebounding need.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2015, 09:04:11 AM »
Maybe Steve can be our Rakeem Christmas. If he could finish at the rim and hit the elbow jumper (I do think he has enough touch for that) he could be a real contributor. If not, hopefully Henry and Wally can fill in the rebounding need.

The most frustrating part is that he did have that mid range jumper his freshman year. His knee injury really hurt his development. He had a really encouraging freshman season.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2015, 09:20:31 AM »

He's shown the hook a bit in the past few games with some success.

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2015, 09:34:23 AM »
He needs to be paired at the 4 with Luke.  He will make Luke more effective and Luke will make him more effective.  I would also tell him NO THREES even if you are wide open your % from 3 is terrible.  That raises another issue.  Steve needs to play the 4 but he needs to play with 2 other guys who are threats from 3 so he doesn't need to be.  If Henry can come in next year, play some 3 (including guard the SF) and shoot the 3 then we could have a suddenly pretty effective rebounding and low post game.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2015, 10:00:58 AM »
Worth pointing out...

Teve had 23 rebounds in the previous 8 games before St.Johns (2.8 per game in 20 min per game)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2015, 10:10:14 AM »
Worth pointing out...

Teve had 23 rebounds in the previous 8 games before St.Johns (2.8 per game in 20 min per game)

Definitely. Steve has shown flashes throughout his career. This year 20/7 against Ohio State, 13/9 at St. John's, and 14/6 in the SHU win. He had that great 14/8 game at Georgetown last year and a few encouraging games his freshman year too. But by and large, he hasn't been a stud. I'd love to see him use SJU as a springboard, but he needs to be a lot better if he's going to be a key player on a tourney team next year. His defense, shot selection, and finishing at the rim all need work.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2015, 10:23:20 AM »
Second best rebounds/game in a generation!  http://statsheet.com/mcb/games/stats/players?season1=1997&season2=2014&conf=&team=marquette&stat=rebounds_total

Blind Pat Smith (Blackheart) holds the record at 28!

He was also 1-5 for the game, had four turnovers, and shot 50% from the FT line (2-4).
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2015, 10:27:05 AM »
For anyone who knows better than I...

Did Teve have Microfracture knee surgery when he injured his knee? Because I remember being in town to catch a Simeon game with him & Jabari Parker a few years back. His athletisicm was impressive; I know he has put on weight since college but I was curious. Because his athleticism seems zapped from his high school days.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2015, 10:34:09 AM »

Did Teve have Microfracture knee surgery when he injured his knee? Because I remember being in town to catch a Simeon game with him & Jabari Parker a few years back. His athletisicm was impressive; I know he has put on weight since college but I was curious. Because his athleticism seems zapped from his high school days.

He really lost a lot in his step until the past few games, it seems. He's started to show flashes again. Reminds me a bit of how Maymon looked once he bulked up. Hopefully he can put up the results like that as well (also, don't crucify me for mentioning the name... I hope we can all get past such things now that time has gone by).

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2015, 11:04:35 AM »
Everybody calm down, Teve is a long way away from being a stud offensively, still can not jump and somewhat questionable decisions on the offensive end.  Nice back-up next year to Ellenson.
Plus not tough enough.  One good rebounding game is not a season, I do not expect much difference next year.  He is a junior, normally the light bulb has turned on by now.

mattyv1908

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2015, 11:52:49 AM »
Everybody calm down, Teve is a long way away from being a stud offensively, still can not jump and somewhat questionable decisions on the offensive end.  Nice back-up next year to Ellenson.
Plus not tough enough.  One good rebounding game is not a season, I do not expect much difference next year.  He is a junior, normally the light bulb has turned on by now.

Most of Steve's issues THIS season have come from being forced to play way out of position at the 5 except for slight stretches since Anderson's ankle injury.
Shut this board down at the opening tip.  If they win, open it back up.  If they lose, keep it shut it down until the next morning.  - Sultan of Slurpery

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2015, 11:58:30 AM »

We will probably have to agree to disagree, but I think Teve has made a marked improvement in both his post moves, footwork and decision-making (this is the one still sort of lagging) than the Teve we saw earlier in the year. Even in a strong performance against Ohio St, he got dominated in his efforts. Against St. John's he had a much better maneuver tree and went for smart plays more often than not. Moreover, he was one of the few people on the team interested in rebounding. I'm not saying he's a superstar. But I do think he will slot well into the "3/4 (I hate characterizations of position)" that gives energy on the boards and can give you a nice inside and zone-breaker midrange game. I expect him to have productive minutes while he is out there next year, however many he gets (we are lacking a forward role that he would be wise to slot into).

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2015, 12:02:44 PM »
I would have thought the convention would be that, "Teve ith a Tud"

Death on call

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2015, 06:39:47 PM »
He has really turned it on and reestablished his identity. Would love to see him take charge and become a tough 3/4 role on next year's team. If he keeps hustling like that  a lineup with duane/teve/henry/Fischer could be dangerous

I can't see Steve playing the three.  His offensive game is inside, despite the occasional three pointer.  I shiver thinking of Steve trying to defend on the wing.  He's showed some real flashes of being an effective passer from the high post.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 06:44:39 PM by LittleWade »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2015, 06:43:35 PM »

I heard nothing about microfracture.  IIRC, Steve had a very large benign growth removed from his knee.  Up until the time of the surgery, it hadn't really limited him.  It was done to prevent future problems.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2015, 06:51:15 PM »
I can't see Steve playing the three.  His offensive game is inside, despite the occasional three pointer.  I shiver thinking of Steve trying to defend on the wing.  He's showed some real flashes of being an effective passer from the high post.
Can't be any worse than him trying to defend in the post...

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2015, 04:33:10 AM »
Obviously, Steve has had a long way back but Wojo has been giving Steve more and more minutes with Luke with success, as we had wanted.

Steve and Matt are the only two MU scholarship players with conference Oratings over 100. Wojo says MU misses Juan's rebounding, but Steve has better rebounding rates on both the offensive and defensive glass in conference. In fact, Steve is 8th and 13th in conference, respectively in those stats. Glad he is getting the minutes with Luke, as he was averaging in the teens prior to Juan's injury since Luke became eligible.

warriorfan 14

• Starter
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2015, 08:13:23 AM »
if steve can just rebound as aggressively as he did against st johns on a consistent basis i would be very happy