[Today at 11:26:20 AM]

NC State by MUMountin
[Today at 11:25:44 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:15:58 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Random question about Al  (Read 6840 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Random question about Al
« on: March 05, 2015, 01:32:01 PM »
Did he ever announce any of our games after he retired? Or have any comments on when we made the NCAA tournament? Just curious if he still had any loyalty to us years later. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: Random question about Al
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 01:34:29 PM »
NBC stuck him in broom closet in the Arena to do color commentary vs UNLV
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 01:35:13 PM »
Al did quite a few MU games, and IMHO id a great job of being unbiased.  

I think the way he stayed loyal was through remaining available to subsequent coaches over the years.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 01:59:02 PM »
I remember him doing a home game against Memphis State around 95/96.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 02:33:47 PM »
NBC stuck him in broom closet in the Arena to do color commentary vs UNLV

That was his choice not to be in the arena. He did not want to be a distraction. His call completely, not NBC.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 02:36:23 PM »
UNLV and UNC at home

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2015, 02:41:37 PM »
Did he ever announce any of our games after he retired? Or have any comments on when we made the NCAA tournament? Just curious if he still had any loyalty to us years later. 
He did on campus gigs.

Talks at the Varsity Theatre, a pep rally before a DePaul game.  There were others, but these jump out.  This was 78-82. 

The events I went to were classic Al.  Poignant and funny.  Very entertaining.

mreezybreezy

• Walk-On
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2015, 03:22:44 PM »
Pat Hughes (radio voice for the Cubs) has some great stories about doing games with Al when the two of them were announcing Marquette games. So yes, Al must have done a few games for Marq (granted, before my time so I can't confirm/deny).

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2015, 03:31:47 PM »
His first (or one of his first) MU games as an announcer was in Majerus' last year as coach against #1 UNC (first game against them since '77) in a close loss. It was when Al said Majerus had lost weight to look better on TV, to which he quipped that it was like a deck chair blowing off the Queen Mary.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2015, 03:35:44 PM »
Adding to the randomness....what is the best McGuire book out there?  I think I've read them all but I'm curious what people think.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Goose

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2015, 03:37:42 PM »
His 1st was the very first game Hank coached against UNLV. The Majerus game was nine years later.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2015, 03:59:26 PM »
hey, i never knew his grand daughter was a model...brenna-

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/college/womensbasketball/2011-08-22-mcguire-basketball-model_n.htm

as for books, i enjoyed both al mcguire:the colorful warrior by roger jaynes and cracked sidewalks and french pastry by tom kertscher,  the latter is all about his quotes/wit and wisdom-unique, but brings back a lot of memories
don't...don't don't don't don't

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2015, 04:09:17 PM »
UNLV and UNC at home
Yeah, the UNC game, I believe was when Majerus was coach and Dean brought in Joe Wolf for a game in his area. Was at that game. Electric!
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2015, 04:39:00 PM »
As pointed out, he did quite a few MU broadcasts.  Two that stand out to me were long after his retirement -

1) 1996 vs. Memphs St  (they hadn't dropped the state from their name yet) in C-USA semifinals I believe.  Game was at Memphis, MU won, and had a showdown with Huggins and Cincinnati the next day (which they lost in OT).  Anyway, Al was hoarse the whole game, not sure if he had a cold, his voice gave out, or what, but he soldiered on even though his voice was shot that night.

2) He and I believe Pat Hughes called Wardle's three pointer at the buzzer in January '98 against Louisville, at Louisville.  That was spectacular.  Then Deane was pumping his fist at the L'ville faithful after.  Pushed MU to 10-0 at the time.  

« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 04:50:18 PM by HutchwasClutch »

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2015, 04:40:40 PM »
He did remain very loyal to MU after retirement as well, but he kept his distance because he knew the enormous shadow he would cast if he stayed close to the program.  He was a class guy all the way, he knew the program had to be led by other men, and they needed to make it their own program.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2015, 05:01:40 PM »
Al and Dick Enberg; the best college basketball TV tandem to announce the games ever. No one comes even close.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2015, 05:35:53 PM »
Al called a Marquette game against Duke in 79 or 80. MU pulled it out for an emotional win. Hank walked down press row and high fived Al who was still on air. The NBC cameras caught the whole act. Classic.   

Death on call

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2015, 05:41:44 PM »
Man I love hearing about these former coaches taunting opposing fans after a win. Al on the scorers table, Deane with the fist pump and say what you want about Buzz, his dance in Morgantown was fantastic. Hope when we start winning again Wojo brings a little bit of that. He is a pretty firey guy. What he has 3 techs already this year?

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2015, 05:58:15 PM »
Man I love hearing about these former coaches taunting opposing fans after a win. Al on the scorers table, Deane with the fist pump and say what you want about Buzz, his dance in Morgantown was fantastic. Hope when we start winning again Wojo brings a little bit of that. He is a pretty firey guy. What he has 3 techs already this year?

He's too buttoned up, corporate style I think to pull off one of the above celebrations.  As long as he starts winning though, no one will care.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2015, 06:04:19 PM »

Gotta agree with Hutchwasclutch, I'd be shocked to see Wojo taunting opposing fans.  I think, "We expected to win", will be closer to his mantra. 
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2015, 06:58:03 PM »
I attended the MU vs. Notre Dame game at South Bend in the 77-78 season.  I had met a coach of one of Notre Dame's other teams over the summer and had tickets from him.  Al came in to announce that game and he was a guest at the Notre Dame pep rally the night before, we had heard he would be there so went and hung in the back.  He said that as much as it pained him, he thought ND would win the game - and they did.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2015, 07:01:16 PM »
He's too buttoned up, corporate style I think to pull off one of the above celebrations.  As long as he starts winning though, no one will care.

Could see it if we beat UNC in crazy fashion
Maigh Eo for Sam

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2015, 08:15:03 AM »
nm
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 08:26:56 AM by WolverineWarrior85 »
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2015, 06:51:02 PM »
@BagpipingBoxer

I was looking at your sig.

Buzz really screwed the pooch and blew an NCAA-bound team, thus breaking the streak of consecutive NCAA appearances since 2006.
SS Marquette

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2015, 09:04:46 PM »
Pat Hughes (radio voice for the Cubs) has some great stories about doing games with Al when the two of them were announcing Marquette games. So yes, Al must have done a few games for Marq (granted, before my time so I can't confirm/deny).
Pat Hughes was also the partner for years with Bob Uecker doing Brewers games.