[Today at 06:52:04 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by JakeBarnes
[Today at 06:18:19 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by the eagle
[Today at 06:05:16 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by MuMark
[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Wojo Letter To MU Fans  (Read 12746 times)

bilsu

• All American
Re: Wojo Letter To MU Fans
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2015, 02:41:22 PM »
I like both Derrick and Juan as people and as Marquette students.  Basketball is a different story.  Juan is at best a 8th to 9th man on a decent team and Derrick is at best about a 5-7 minutes man a game if that.  He is the worst point guard I can think of in the last 30 years.  Juan tries but just doesn't have it.  I really hope no one boos Saturday.  They try their best are fine men.
This may be true, but that is not their fault. Now, if Juan was returning next year he probably would not play much. However, at this point, if Derrick was returning next year, he would still start. The problem is not Derrick, it is the failure to recruit very good point guards. Buzz said he wanted to recruit a point guard every year and he failed at that. Now we have a staff of former all-American point guards and they still cannot recruit a top point guard.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2015, 02:57:47 PM »
This may be true, but that is not their fault. Now, if Juan was returning next year he probably would not play much. However, at this point, if Derrick was returning next year, he would still start. The problem is not Derrick, it is the failure to recruit very good point guards. Buzz said he wanted to recruit a point guard every year and he failed at that. Now we have a staff of former all-American point guards and they still cannot recruit a top point guard.

Last things first...the staff did have a top-100 PG in the fold until things fell apart with Noskowiak. It appeared that they had someone on the roster that could play the point in Duane, a top-100 coming in that could play the point in Nick, and the potential to add another experienced point guard with a transfer. They managed to add the top available senior grad transfer PG last year in Carlino, so this staff does seem to have appeal to PGs. Hearing positive things about Carter would affirm that, especially as he's probably the best available high school PG in the country (I'd have zero interest in Marcus LoVett).

Agreed that Derrick would still be starting next year, and Buzz definitely failed in that regard. He followed through initially -- Junior in 2009, Reggie in 2010, Derrick in 2011. Problem was one left and two never lived up to expectations. Buzz ignored the position in 2012 and tried to make up for it with Duane and Dawson in 2013, but injuries brought down one and the other simply wasn't a high-major player (Aside -- Dawson is likely already on thin ice at Liberty as Dale Layer was fired yesterday). Buzz's 2014 class is doing great around the country, but none of them were PGs either.

And while he missed on 4/5 PGs he recruited and the other never played for him, he passed on quality PGs that wanted to come here like Kris Dunn and Tyler Ulis. Hopefully the new staff builds a better PG track record. It always seemed like a strength for Marquette, but since James left we've had a rotating door of marginal-at-best PGs.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2015, 02:58:11 PM »
The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function. ~ F. Scott Fitzgerald

Derrick and Juan represent the University well, play hard, and I appreciate their contributions on the court. In particular, Derrick seems like a great young man. I am grateful they are members of MU basketball.

I also want them gone from the team and won't miss them next year.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2015, 03:02:52 PM »
The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function. ~ F. Scott Fitzgerald

Derrick and Juan represent the University well, play hard, and I appreciate their contributions on the court. In particular, Derrick seems like a great young man. I am grateful they are members of MU basketball.

I also want them gone from the team and won't miss them next year.

Did you just disguise a post about your genius in an opinion post about Derrick????

"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Goose

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2015, 03:09:47 PM »
I will not be attending tomorrow, by choice, but do appreciate the efforts of the seniors. A couple of them were put in difficult situations that past two years and one made his own decision to jump into the fire. I might have been frustrated with players in the past, OK a lot of players, I always appreciate their time being Warrior and wish them good luck.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2015, 03:20:52 PM »
I agree with all of this. That Derrick and Juan have been two of our best players speaks to why we aren't better than our record. Buzz was a good recruiter when it came to stars, but maybe not so much when it came to actually evaluating talent and discerning which players were deserving of those star ratings. Hopefully Wojo is better at figuring out which players merit the star ratings they are given, and which players are worth recruiting even when they may not have the attention of national pundits.

Agree completely especially the bit about Buzz's recruiting. While he did an excellent job with JUCOs, his record with freshmen other than Blue and Devante was marked by transfers and disappointments.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2015, 04:45:36 PM »
Great idea to move the ceremony to pre-tip - will build anticipation and energy for fans there and team alike to go out there and win on senior day.  Plus, senior day losses just cast such a negative tone to the ceremony when it's done post-game for what should be a celebration of the young men's careers that are ending in an MU uniform.   

And I feel great that we're going to beat DePaul.  We're going to avenge New Years Eve and send the three guys out on a high note. 

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2015, 04:56:40 PM »
Great idea to move the ceremony to pre-tip - will build anticipation and energy for fans there and team alike to go out there and win on senior day.  Plus, senior day losses just cast such a negative tone to the ceremony when it's done post-game for what should be a celebration of the young men's careers that are ending in an MU uniform.   

And I feel great that we're going to beat DePaul.  We're going to avenge New Years Eve and send the three guys out on a high note. 

When I asked my wife if she was coming Saturday, she hesitated, because (her words) "you're always a dick on senior day." She knows I love the senior ceremony and hate when thousands stream out of the BC. I've tried to encourage people to stay for the seniors, but apparently "I'm a dick" about it. Maybe a pregame ceremony will help me be more cordial.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2015, 05:00:07 PM »
When I asked my wife if she was coming Saturday, she hesitated, because (her words) "you're always a dick on senior day." She knows I love the senior ceremony and hate when thousands stream out of the BC. I've tried to encourage people to stay for the seniors, but apparently "I'm a dick" about it. Maybe a pregame ceremony will help me be more cordial.

You weren't the guy that yell at the young couple with the 2 month old who left with a minute to go in overtime last year and nearly started a brawl were you?
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

bamamarquettefan

• All American
  • pudner-at-aspen-ideas-festival.jpg
    • Value Add Basketball
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2015, 05:19:13 PM »
He must not read scoop
Thank you for your signature line of the final seconds of the Davidson game. Wow, for many reasons I was very depressed in the days leading up to that game and when we fell way behind it seemed to be culminating in a bad way. Those few seconds seemed to turn everything around.
The www.valueaddsports.com analysis of basketball, football and baseball players are intended to neither be too hot or too cold - hundreds immerse themselves in studies of stats not of interest to broader fan bases (too hot), while others still insist on pure observation (too cold).

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2015, 05:37:29 PM »
You weren't the guy that yell at the young couple with the 2 month old who left with a minute to go in overtime last year and nearly started a brawl were you?

Don't remember anyone with a toddler, no. I do remember one guy who I implored to stay in regulation that slunk back in once OT started.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2015, 08:03:05 PM »
Did Wojo offer a ticket rebate for next year, kin?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2015, 08:48:35 PM »
Juan and Derrick have represented MU with grace.   Their characters are exemplary.   They have given everything they have to the basketball team, and be extension to the MU fans.   They aren't great basketball players.   But they are great people worthy of our respect and appreciation. 

+10,000

breadtree

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2015, 08:57:48 PM »
He must not read scoop

Or have looked into the stands last night.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2015, 09:17:44 PM »
Or have looked into the stands last night.

That may be why the letter was sent out...
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

JoeSmith1721

• Starter
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2015, 09:24:45 PM »
That may be why the letter was sent out...

Without a doubt

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2015, 09:28:29 PM »
I don't think it was sent out specifically because of last night, but the trend hasn't been encouraging.

muwarrior97

• All American
  • Team Whiny Fan
« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2015, 10:07:09 PM »
Oddly, Juan and Derrick have become two of my favorite players this year. Those two guys leave everything on the court and truly seem to care about improving themselves, the program, and the young guys coming up behind them. We should be so lucky as to have leaders like that every season.

I look at next year, and as much as people are optimistic about the future, I am worried that we won't have a guy willing to do the dirty work and rebounding that Juan will happily do, or a point guard that is as reliable at maintaining possession and taking on anyone defensively. Maybe Wally Ellenson will step right into that dirty work role and get after loose balls while scoring more than Juan, maybe Traci Carter or some grad transfer will lock down the point guard spot at a higher level than Derrick right off the bat, but I'm not yet convinced. Those two have been two of our best players this year, it's just unfortunate that they are not also two of our most talented. If the leaders on last year's team played with the same energy, effort, and passion those two give every night we would have been back in the Elite 8. Marquette is lucky to have had Juan and Derrick, and I hope that in the future guys like Sandy and Duane can become the same types of leaders on and off the court that those two have been.

Here Here, BrewCity77 gets it #ThumbsUp
#RGV #ReturnTheWarriorMindset

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2015, 10:54:16 PM »
I noticed per t the Jumbotron last night that the basketball banquet is going to be held at the BC. Does anyone have a guess as to exactly where?   I haven't been to any event space there except for the Courtside Club, and that isn't exactly designed layout-wise for something like that.

Anywho, I would hope they get a good turnout.  I plan to go.  I think it is important to show to the team that even though we might be disappointed in the won/lost record this year, we know they all worked their tails off.

Chick,

I was at a dinner for a corporate anniversary some years ago at the Bradley Center. It's done on the floor and usually has set-ups for a large crowd. Actually was a very nice dinner and done very well.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2015, 08:08:53 AM »

Well done, I've been that guy.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2015, 08:12:54 AM »
Don't remember anyone with a toddler, no. I do remember one guy who I implored to stay in regulation that slunk back in once OT started.

OK good, that one got ugly....as in the dudes wife looked like she was googling divorce attorneys during OT.  ;D

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2015, 08:23:11 AM »
OK good, that one got ugly....as in the dudes wife looked like she was googling divorce attorneys during OT.  ;D

Haha, well, she hasn't left me yet!

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2015, 10:21:51 AM »
Yeah, I know why it upsets you, but you just have to let it go.  It's like being mad at the weather.

feedback