[Today at 03:15:40 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Jockey
[Today at 03:02:03 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Uncle Rico
[Today at 12:50:35 PM]

MU Gear by Pepe Sylvia
[Today at 11:45:12 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wojo Letter To MU Fans  (Read 12839 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Wojo Letter To MU Fans
« on: March 05, 2015, 11:53:09 AM »

CAGASS24

• All American
Re: Wojo Letter To MU Fans
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 12:10:08 PM »
sounds like they are moving the senior day festivities to pre-tip - I like that - easier to show up early as opposed to stay around after - go get em!!!!!

Shark

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 12:17:56 PM »
He must not read scoop

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 12:20:01 PM »
Well done, Steven.

I especially like the choice of your picture: scowling and angry with a chip on his shoulder for next season.
SS Marquette

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 12:20:19 PM »
I know that there's probably never been two seniors I've wanted to get rid of more. They're great young men but as far as on the court success goes... I just hope nobody boos and keeps in mind that these guys are going to be alumni just like any of us and give them that respect.  
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 01:10:01 PM by BagpipingBoxer »
Maigh Eo for Sam

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 12:24:33 PM »
I know that there's probably never been two seniors I've wanted to get rid of more.  But I just hope nobody boos and keeps in mind that these guys are going to be alumni just like any of us and give them that respect.  

WTF.
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2015, 12:24:52 PM »
I know that there's probably never been two seniors I've wanted to get rid of more.  But I just hope nobody boos and keeps in mind that these guys are going to be alumni just like any of us and give them that respect.  

Uhm, ok. 

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2015, 12:29:24 PM »
Basketballwise like have them move on and get the team moving again. Calm down you two it's not like I'm the first person to say something like that on this board. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2015, 12:42:39 PM »

Wow.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2015, 12:51:01 PM »
Oddly, Juan and Derrick have become two of my favorite players this year. Those two guys leave everything on the court and truly seem to care about improving themselves, the program, and the young guys coming up behind them. We should be so lucky as to have leaders like that every season.

I look at next year, and as much as people are optimistic about the future, I am worried that we won't have a guy willing to do the dirty work and rebounding that Juan will happily do, or a point guard that is as reliable at maintaining possession and taking on anyone defensively. Maybe Wally Ellenson will step right into that dirty work role and get after loose balls while scoring more than Juan, maybe Traci Carter or some grad transfer will lock down the point guard spot at a higher level than Derrick right off the bat, but I'm not yet convinced. Those two have been two of our best players this year, it's just unfortunate that they are not also two of our most talented. If the leaders on last year's team played with the same energy, effort, and passion those two give every night we would have been back in the Elite 8. Marquette is lucky to have had Juan and Derrick, and I hope that in the future guys like Sandy and Duane can become the same types of leaders on and off the court that those two have been.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

connie

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2015, 12:53:17 PM »
Oddly, Juan and Derrick have become two of my favorite players this year. Those two guys leave everything on the court and truly seem to care about improving themselves, the program, and the young guys coming up behind them. We should be so lucky as to have leaders like that every season.

I look at next year, and as much as people are optimistic about the future, I am worried that we won't have a guy willing to do the dirty work and rebounding that Juan will happily do, or a point guard that is as reliable at maintaining possession and taking on anyone defensively. Maybe Wally Ellenson will step right into that dirty work role and get after loose balls while scoring more than Juan, maybe Traci Carter or some grad transfer will lock down the point guard spot at a higher level than Derrick right off the bat, but I'm not yet convinced. Those two have been two of our best players this year, it's just unfortunate that they are not also two of our most talented. If the leaders on last year's team played with the same energy, effort, and passion those two give every night we would have been back in the Elite 8. Marquette is lucky to have had Juan and Derrick, and I hope that in the future guys like Sandy and Duane can become the same types of leaders on and off the court that those two have been.
Some guys will have to step up, but it is that way almost every year.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2015, 01:03:36 PM »
I thank the seniors for their grit, working hard under difficult circumstances. 

THRILLHO

• All American
    • twitter feed
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2015, 01:05:32 PM »
I think Derrick and Juan are excellent teammates, leaders, and would be awesome in the role of 6th man/glue guy on a good team. The fact that they are the most experienced and complete players on this years team without being as talented as the other guys is why this team struggles so much. If it was a case of them not working hard enough I could understand disliking them, but they are clearly hard workers, good teammates, and good representatives of MU so I think they deserve appreciation from the fans. If we're looking to blame anybody blame Buzz for missing on so many recruits at once that the team seems to be so lacking in talent.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2015, 01:14:47 PM »
I think Derrick and Juan are excellent teammates, leaders, and would be awesome in the role of 6th man/glue guy on a good team. The fact that they are the most experienced and complete players on this years team without being as talented as the other guys is why this team struggles so much. If it was a case of them not working hard enough I could understand disliking them, but they are clearly hard workers, good teammates, and good representatives of MU so I think they deserve appreciation from the fans. If we're looking to blame anybody blame Buzz for missing on so many recruits at once that the team seems to be so lacking in talent.

I agree with all of this. That Derrick and Juan have been two of our best players speaks to why we aren't better than our record. Buzz was a good recruiter when it came to stars, but maybe not so much when it came to actually evaluating talent and discerning which players were deserving of those star ratings. Hopefully Wojo is better at figuring out which players merit the star ratings they are given, and which players are worth recruiting even when they may not have the attention of national pundits.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2015, 01:19:26 PM »
I noticed per t the Jumbotron last night that the basketball banquet is going to be held at the BC. Does anyone have a guess as to exactly where?   I haven't been to any event space there except for the Courtside Club, and that isn't exactly designed layout-wise for something like that.

Anywho, I would hope they get a good turnout.  I plan to go.  I think it is important to show to the team that even though we might be disappointed in the won/lost record this year, we know they all worked their tails off.
Have some patience, FFS.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2015, 01:34:10 PM »
I thank the seniors for their grit, working hard under difficult circumstances. 

+10000000000
No Finish Line

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2015, 01:38:36 PM »
I know that there's probably never been two seniors I've wanted to get rid of more. They're great young men but as far as on the court success goes... I just hope nobody boos and keeps in mind that these guys are going to be alumni just like any of us and give them that respect.  

It's not their fault Bumstead recruited them here, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2015, 01:51:02 PM »
I agree with all of this. That Derrick and Juan have been two of our best players speaks to why we aren't better than our record. Buzz was a good recruiter when it came to stars, but maybe not so much when it came to actually evaluating talent and discerning which players were deserving of those star ratings. Hopefully Wojo is better at figuring out which players merit the star ratings they are given, and which players are worth recruiting even when they may not have the attention of national pundits.

Davante Gardner was the least regarded member of his recruiting class.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2015, 01:56:56 PM »
I noticed per t the Jumbotron last night that the basketball banquet is going to be held at the BC. Does anyone have a guess as to exactly where?   I haven't been to any event space there except for the Courtside Club, and that isn't exactly designed layout-wise for something like that.

They've had events/banquets right on the floor of the arena, so it might be there.

muwar2003

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2015, 02:00:30 PM »
I like both Derrick and Juan as people and as Marquette students.  Basketball is a different story.  Juan is at best a 8th to 9th man on a decent team and Derrick is at best about a 5-7 minutes man a game if that.  He is the worst point guard I can think of in the last 30 years.  Juan tries but just doesn't have it.  I really hope no one boos Saturday.  They try their best are fine men.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2015, 02:07:16 PM »
Juan and Derrick have represented MU with grace.   Their characters are exemplary.   They have given everything they have to the basketball team, and be extension to the MU fans.   They aren't great basketball players.   But they are great people worthy of our respect and appreciation. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2015, 02:29:26 PM »
I like both Derrick and Juan as people and as Marquette students.  Basketball is a different story.  Juan is at best a 8th to 9th man on a decent team and Derrick is at best about a 5-7 minutes man a game if that.  He is the worst point guard I can think of in the last 30 years.  Juan tries but just doesn't have it.  I really hope no one boos Saturday.  They try their best are fine men.

This sums up what I was trying to say. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2015, 02:31:53 PM »
Davante Gardner was the least regarded member of his recruiting class.

Gardner's years at Marquette were certainly serendipitous.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2015, 02:34:17 PM »
Shameless self promotion....at 20 minute mark we talk the seniors, I think I had a lot of smart things to say...but then I think I'm awesome and my wife could definitely tell you otherwise.

http://www.crackedsidewalks.com/2015/03/more-of-same-from-marquette-but-this.html
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2015, 02:37:23 PM »
Juan and Derrick have represented MU with grace.   Their characters are exemplary.   They have given everything they have to the basketball team, and be extension to the MU fans.   They aren't great basketball players.   But they are great people worthy of our respect and appreciation. 
The thing with Derrick is that he was recruited for the old Big East under the old defensive rules.  So Buzz wanted a physically strong PG who could withstand the bump and grind of the old ways.  Things have changed, so Derrick is no where near as effective as he was earlier in his MU career.  And, Buzz recruited Juan as an athletic switchable not so much for specific skills.  So, neither is a prime time player in the changing scheme of things.  As you say though, both Derrick and Juan are really good people and are quite worthy of our respect and admiration.  I thank them for their outstanding efforts and leadership.