[Today at 02:06:54 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MUbiz
[Today at 12:09:25 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[Today at 11:02:10 AM]

MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread by mileskishnish72
[April 22, 2024, 04:17:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Which Big East schools make the deepest run?  (Read 7998 times)

mattyv1908

• All American
Which Big East schools make the deepest run?
« on: March 05, 2015, 11:34:39 AM »
I think Nova is the best team in our conference, but I just wonder if them not having a true go to guy when they may need one in the tourney could hurt them.

Think Henton/Dunn of Providence and Pointer/Harrison of St John's can potentially take their teams to the elite 8.
Shut this board down at the opening tip.  If they win, open it back up.  If they lose, keep it shut it down until the next morning.  - Sultan of Slurpery

tower912

• All American
Re: Which Big East schools make the deepest run?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 11:35:44 AM »
Nova.   SJU and Providence provide unique match ups, as does Josh Smith. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

mubb34

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 11:47:51 AM »
 20:1 On Nova and 200:1 for Georgetown....So I'm going with Georgetown.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 12:01:08 PM »
Providence, Georgetown, St. John's, and Butler all could win a couple of games.

Nova could win 5 games.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 12:04:00 PM »
Should go far:

Villanova: Incredibly deep, quality at every position, and a star in Hilliard. This team is also experienced and knows the sting of the early exit. Anything less than the Elite 8 would be a disappointment. As long as they are on the opposite side of the bracket from Kentucky, there's no reason they can't make the finals. Size inside, six legit 3-point threats, and five juniors and seniors at the top of the rotation.

Providence: Two great players in Dunn and Henton goes along with excellent frontcourt length. Also helps that for the first time Cooley has a bench and isn't on a 6-man rotation. I would love to see them get the Badgers in the second round, I think they're a terrible matchup for Bucky. Definite threat for the Sweet 16, and in my opinion the second highest ceiling in the league.

Depends on matchups:

St. John's: Their 6.5 man rotation is very good, but could be problematic if they run into foul trouble or play against a team that wears them down with depth. Also hurts that despite all their experience, they have no NCAA experience. If they get opponents that they can overwhelm with athleticism, they can go far, maybe even the Sweet 16, but my guess is they get a 7-8 seed and end up running into a buzzsaw in the second round.

Georgetown: Surprised they haven't received much press. Interesting mix of solid seniors and precocious freshmen. But the tipping point is DSR. He is the kind of player that can lift a team to a deep NCAA run. I could see them making the Final Four, I could just as easily see them losing on the first day.

Early exits:

Xavier: Great RPI and SOS will get them into that 8/9 range, but I can't see them escaping the first weekend. Other than Georgetown (for some reason they have the Hoyas' number), they haven't beat anyone of consequence away from home, including UTEP and Long Beach State in non-conference. I haven't had much faith in them all season, no reason for that to change now.

Butler: Could have the second highest seed after Villanova, but can't see them going far. They don't have enough shooters -- as good as Barlow and Dunham are there's no one else reliable beyond the arc, and they are undersized inside. They look ripe for a first-weekend upset...which probably means they'll make another insane Final Four run.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 12:29:10 PM »
Providence: Two great players in Dunn and Henton goes along with excellent frontcourt length. Also helps that for the first time Cooley has a bench and isn't on a 6-man rotation. I would love to see them get the Badgers in the second round, I think they're a terrible matchup for Bucky. Definite threat for the Sweet 16, and in my opinion the second highest ceiling in the league.

Said the same thing to my friend at the game last night. Dunn would give Koenig fits.

mattyv1908

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2015, 12:29:35 PM »
I think Providence's overall length and athleticism coupled with two very talented scorers who can both take over a game makes them a prime candidate to string together 3+ wins.
Shut this board down at the opening tip.  If they win, open it back up.  If they lose, keep it shut it down until the next morning.  - Sultan of Slurpery

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2015, 12:34:25 PM »
I think Providence's overall length and athleticism coupled with two very talented scorers who can both take over a game makes them a prime candidate to string together 3+ wins.

I also like that if you manage to shut down one of their two scorers, Tyler Harris and Ben Bentil are both capable of putting up 15-20 on any given night. That is a tough frontcourt, and along with Lindsay, you actually have a little bit of a 3-point threat from those guys as well. I also like that they have won a Big East Tournament before. They have the look of a team designed to win in March.

Shark

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2015, 12:36:54 PM »
Henton reminds me of Lazar kinda. Anyone else get that or am I alone?

CAGASS24

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2015, 12:36:57 PM »
Nova is salty and would be a major disappointment if they don't  make it to E8 based on how theyve grinded out win after win - argument is they let themselves be in too many games but they sure have a good record winning the close ones

St. Johns could be an e8 team - when they are on top of their gazelle pressure defense and blocking shots - they can beat anyone - however, they are not a deep team in that five dudes play the majority of minutes, and frequently fall in to shooting ruts.  I also don't think Harrison has the chops come pressure time - first tourney appearance for him as good as he's been individually for that program

Butler - one win I think

Providence - they are very appealing - if they get their big center back and he can play good defense they have a higher ceiling - henton looks like a player that might be that tourney star - dunn is legit -

GTown is a wild card - feel like they might get hot and win the BEast tourney and improve their seeding - lot of pressure on that squad bowing out early over the years

Xavier - hoping for one win from them

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2015, 12:38:59 PM »
Henton reminds me of Lazar kinda. Anyone else get that or am I alone?

I've felt that way for years. Does a bit of everything, scoring, rebounding, stepping out to shoot from range, just a tough, tough matchup. Love watching that kid play.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2015, 12:43:43 PM »
Going with Butler

And Georgetown better not do their usual crap out.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2015, 12:44:50 PM »
The BE is deeper than I thought at the beginning of the season.

This gives me some comfort when I think about our conference record.

We should have our share of teams playing in the second weekend.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2015, 12:47:31 PM »
Obviously it all comes down to matchups, but all things being equal I'd rank the BE teams going to the tourney who are most likely to make a deep run as follows:

1) Nova
2) Butler
3) Georgetown
4) Providence
5) SJU
6) Xavier

Butler and Georgetown are deeper and defend better than Providence and St. John's.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2015, 01:00:32 PM »
Butler and Georgetown are deeper and defend better than Providence and St. John's.

If Butler goes far, it will definitely be their defense that carries them. But what really gives me pause is looking at the anatomy of their schedule. They are 10-0 against Marquette, DePaul, Creighton, Seton Hall, and St. John's, with both SJU wins coming before the Johnnies got hot. They are 1-6 against the rest of the league. How much of their reputation is still resting on that win over UNC back in November? They certainly beat the teams they are supposed to beat, no doubt about that, but they snuck up on a couple teams in Atlantis and since then are 0-6 against the top-25 RPI. Just not convinced they'll be able to beat anyone of consequence come March.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2015, 01:42:14 PM »
Butler over Providence on the road today.  I like that.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2015, 03:09:05 PM »
Marquette wins the big east final. Cruises to an easy final four run.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2015, 05:04:35 PM »
Georgetown will be their typical 1st round flame out. Villanova and Butler will be the only teams to make the round of 32.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2015, 05:43:26 PM »
Georgetown will be their typical 1st round flame out. Villanova and Butler will be the only teams to make the round of 32.

Think you're wrong here.

geps

• Team Captain
  • Double down
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2015, 03:51:44 PM »
Tough to advance when everyone except Nova is a 6 seed or higher. Maybe Gtown a 5.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2015, 04:33:48 PM »
Tough to advance when everyone except Nova is a 6 seed or higher. Maybe Gtown a 5.

I actually think the 4-6 seeds are kind of a sweet spot. Those seeds guarantee you won't play a 1 or 2 until the second weekend. I'd love to see 3-4 Sweet Sixteen teams this year, and those spots give teams a good chance of that.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2015, 04:46:06 PM »

Maybe, but you also said the big east could only get 4 teams in and now there are 6 locks, so...

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2015, 04:52:47 PM »
I think we're poised for the greatest Cinderella story of all time.

We knock off Villanova in triple overtime on the way to the Big East tournament championship and make the NCAA.

We enter the NCAA as a 16 seed (with our record we deserve it) and play Kentucky in the first round. Another triple overtime leaves our guys absolutely dragging and we win on 25-foot jump shot from three-land by Derrick Wilson.

Our swagger now intolerable to the rest of the NCAA, we mow through the tournament like a hot knife through butter. The championship is Marquette vs. Duke and Wojo bests his mentor.

Derrick is named tournament MVP and Steve Taylor Jr., makes the all-tournament team with Juan and Duane.

There is no doubt after this one that Al McGuire has been responsible for enough of a miracle that the Wisconsin Province of the Society of Jesus advocates Al for sainthood. Pope Francis, smiling that a Jesuit institution won it all, concurs and canonizes Al.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 04:55:16 PM by dgies9156 »

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2015, 04:55:01 PM »
I'm uneasy on the Big East.

PC and SJU are classic folding chair teams. Both led by coaches in over their skis on the whiteboard. Both afflicted by the dreaded "dumb ass" gene. Both with maddening talent that never quite hits as well as it should.

Xavier is too home-good/away-bad for me. No clue what kind of game they bring to neutral court. Might as well just be a crap storm like last season.

Hoyas have the same look as every year they lose to a 13 seed but, surely, their streak of disappointment must end soon.

Nova is one of the five best teams in the country. Expect them to be playing on the last weekend. Butler will make it out of the first weekend.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2015, 11:40:12 PM »
Maybe, but you also said the big east could only get 4 teams in and now there are 6 locks, so...
I said the Big East would not win more than 4 NCAA tournament games and I am sticking with that.