[Today at 09:58:46 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Viper
[Today at 09:52:10 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by MU Fan in Connecticut
[Today at 09:25:35 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by MarquetteDano
[Today at 09:22:06 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Rafters  (Read 8355 times)

HutchwasClutch

• All American
Re: Rafters
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2015, 05:22:09 PM »
Numbers should be retired for players only who were transformative for the program .  We have way too many retired numbers, and it just waters down the honor.

To me, this is all we should have retired -
3- Wade
15- Lee
24- Thompson
77- Al

Period.  I could maybe be persuaded that Dean the Dream's #14 belongs to.  Doc Rivers being retired is ridiculous, he was a good player at MU, nothing more.  

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2015, 05:25:43 PM »
Piggy backing to my last post, I'm fine with honoring many of the guys whos numbers are retired, with hanging their jersey replicas in the rafters, but their numbers can be worn by others at MU.  So Kojis #44, Ellis & Rivers #31, Lucas #20, Tatum #43, would all be up again in HutchwasClutch's perfect world. 

Again, on the fence about Meminger, I could probably be persuaded that he belongs on the MU Mt Rushmore w/ D-Wade, Brute Force, Butch, and Al.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2015, 05:26:09 PM »
I'm down with addin' #22, a 6'11" junior from Racine, and no one else.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2015, 12:33:19 AM »
Don Kojis' jersey #44 is ABSOLUTELY retired.  Agree that the next worthy entrant is Chones.  Jerel would be somewhere in a potentially worthy group after that.

Pleased to say that apart from Kojis, I've seen everyone of those guys play in person.

Post amended...thanks for pointing it out!
SS Marquette

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2015, 12:35:02 AM »
There's a logistical issue to retiring numbers, since the NCAA only allows you to wear 0-5 on either digit in the number.

Marquette already has nine numbers that are unavailable.

I thought it was done in "spirit" but the number was always available.
SS Marquette

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2015, 06:04:19 AM »
Numbers should be retired for players only who were transformative for the program .  We have way too many retired numbers, and it just waters down the honor.

To me, this is all we should have retired -
3- Wade
15- Lee
24- Thompson
77- Al

Period.  I could maybe be persuaded that Dean the Dream's #14 belongs to.  Doc Rivers being retired is ridiculous, he was a good player at MU, nothing more.

For all intents and purposes, 77 is retired. As Andy mentioned, anything including a digit outside of 0-5 is unavailable per NCAA rules.

Of course, the problem is that in general, you don't want to "unretire" numbers. Doesn't look good to the players that earned the honor, even if you don't feel it was deserved. That's why I'd argue for retiring jerseys. One thing I really like about Wojo is that on the player lockers, they list everyone who had that number before you. I can see how that would be motivating for kids, especially when you see names you know -- Wesley Matthews on Jajuan's locker, DJO/James on Duane's locker, etc. Keeping the number going in some ways will actually help preserve the memory of the player for the members of the current team.

How many kids being recruited to Marquette these days know who Butch Lee or George Thompson were? But if they saw their name on their locker every day, they might be inclined to find out. Same goes for guys like Don Kojis, Earl Tatum, Dean Meminger, and some day, maybe even Dwyane Wade. Keep the number going and you keep the legacy going.

Retire jerseys, not numbers.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2015, 08:08:18 AM »

One thing I really like about Wojo is that on the player lockers, they list everyone who had that number before you. I can see how that would be motivating for kids, especially when you see names you know -- Wesley Matthews on Jajuan's locker, DJO/James on Duane's locker, etc. Keeping the number going in some ways will actually help preserve the memory of the player for the members of the current team.

How many kids being recruited to Marquette these days know who Butch Lee or George Thompson were? But if they saw their name on their locker every day, they might be inclined to find out. Same goes for guys like Don Kojis, Earl Tatum, Dean Meminger, and some day, maybe even Dwyane Wade. Keep the number going and you keep the legacy going.

100% Agree, that little touch is one of the coolest things I have seen a sports team do. 

Beyond that, every team in America with some history or even those without (The Bucks) is realizing retiring numbers is dangerous.  We need to come up with a new way to honor recents "greats".  Retiring "jerseys" works for me.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

MUMonster03

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2015, 08:09:51 AM »
Being high individual statistics has become way watered down and shouldn't be valued as highly since now players get 4 years instead of 3 and play more games before conference tournaments even start then others did when they won the tournament and played the max.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2015, 09:08:39 AM »
For all intents and purposes, 77 is retired. As Andy mentioned, anything including a digit outside of 0-5 is unavailable per NCAA rules.

Of course, the problem is that in general, you don't want to "unretire" numbers. Doesn't look good to the players that earned the honor, even if you don't feel it was deserved. That's why I'd argue for retiring jerseys. One thing I really like about Wojo is that on the player lockers, they list everyone who had that number before you. I can see how that would be motivating for kids, especially when you see names you know -- Wesley Matthews on Jajuan's locker, DJO/James on Duane's locker, etc. Keeping the number going in some ways will actually help preserve the memory of the player for the members of the current team.

Maybe that's why no one has worn #53 in a while. Hard to feel the vibe with former ballers like:
Greg Ripp
Bob Chmielewski
Dave Burton
Jim Chermak
Terry McQuaid
Rick Campbell

ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2015, 09:22:05 AM »
This is one of the best threads on Scoop in a long time.

From my perspective, retire Jerseys, not numbers...

I also think there is a small "lifetime achievement" element to this.  A stellar career at MU is the price of entry followed by good citizenship, and a combination of playing/coaching career after MU all taken into consideration. 

On this basis I believe Doc absolutely belongs.  Diener might... we'll know in 10-15 years.  As for the big 3, good cases can be made for Jerel and Matthews but neither is a lock.  As for the others listed above, I think a more conservative approach is in order.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2015, 09:44:02 AM »

That is a great idea to have the prior names on the lockers.
And Brew, you are right that most kids would probably not  know about Butch or George, and even less would know Don Kojis. (Didn't he have a used car lot in Milwaukee in the 60's?) That could be remedied with a History course of MU basketball as part of basketball orientation. With attest afterward. All who pass get 2 credits toward their degree.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2015, 12:35:56 PM »
Anyone who has not missed a home game as a fan the past two seasons should have honorary number retired.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2015, 12:43:48 PM »

I'm quickly warming to that jersey idea. I believe UNC has retired jerseys hanging from the rafters. Looks cool. If so, you could hang Kojis, Meminger, Thompson, Tatum, Lucas, Lee, Ellis, Rivers, Wade, Diener, McNeal, and Matthews.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2015, 12:46:08 PM »
We can hang them next to our 2012 Big East champs banner.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.