[Today at 04:39:02 PM]

NIL Future by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:56:29 PM]

Shaka's 2023-2024 Season Accomplishments by LloydsLegs
[Today at 02:48:52 PM]

MU Gear by MUfan12
[Today at 01:31:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: crowd  (Read 18001 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: crowd
« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2015, 09:24:11 AM »
topper, you'll even recall that MU was having trouble holding the ticket base during the Buzz success years.  We had average attendance of just over 16K for a couple years early followed by 3-4 years of decline.  If memory serves, '13-14 was our first uptick year in a few on the heels of E-8.  Notice that I'm mixing apples and oranges when I mention average attendance here and was discussing season tickets earlier.

By the way, I just looked up BMO BC lower bowl capacity.  It's 7,783 for hoops, among the smallest in the NBA.

I think that the equalizer made that argument many times, that attendance was falling under Buzz. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #51 on: March 05, 2015, 09:25:26 AM »
I have doubts whether, all things considered, MU can ever draw 15,000 on a consistent basis.  Perhaps the new facility will just close the upper loft area, and we'll have "sell-outs" of 12,000 or so.  That would be ideal IMO.

Sure we can.  We've done it many years in a row until right now.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #52 on: March 05, 2015, 09:49:17 AM »
If it was a dry arena there would've been ~50 people last night.   Unwatchable at this point.  If we suck this bad 3 years from now I'm gonna go Coco the Ape wild on some posters.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #53 on: March 05, 2015, 09:50:46 AM »
If it was a dry arena there would've been ~50 people last night.   Unwatchable at this point.  If we suck this bad 3 years from now I'm gonna go Coco the Ape wild on some posters.

MU has hit rock bottom. It may take that long.

connie

• All American
« Reply #54 on: March 05, 2015, 09:53:16 AM »
Last year, with a supremely disappointing product, we still sold over 15,000 tickets per game and were in the top 20.  I know the crowd last night was light, but after a brutal year and with an after-8 pm start time in the middle of the week a day after I spent 2 hours trying to get downtown from the west trust me when I say going to the game was a supreme effort.  The only people surprised by light attendance under these circumstances are the same ones that think we should be ranked because we have Top 100 recruits on the team.  The reality is that at the end of a long, long year it is just not that enjoyable.

Hope to see you all on Senior Day.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #55 on: March 05, 2015, 10:07:41 AM »
You need to give the casual sports fan a reason to show up. And putting a garbage product on the court ain't a good reason.
Groin Pull-- we are detecting a bit of frustration in your posts. Cheer up, be happy. There is always next year...or the year after...or the year after that! And so on.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #56 on: March 05, 2015, 10:10:20 AM »

Look, if Wojo doesn't have have the mojo, I'll be one of the first to advocate for his heave ho. Right now, the cat is workin' with 3 day old fish wrapped in newsprint and is devoid of talent. He can't make Shinola outta chit, hey? I like what I've heard from the man and from what others, far closer to the program than I, have said. Allow Steve to bring his own playas in and shape his program. Bumstead had us on a road to penalties and sanctions. That's not what I desire for my alma mater. Fook the W's and L's for now. I'm buyin' and holdin'.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #57 on: March 05, 2015, 10:20:46 AM »

Look, if Wojo doesn't have have the mojo, I'll be one of the first to advocate for his heave ho. Right now, the cat is workin' with 3 day old fish wrapped in newsprint and is devoid of talent. He can't make Shinola outta chit, hey? I like what I've heard from the man and from what others, far closer to the program than I, have said. Allow Steve to bring his own playas in and shape his program. Bumstead had us on a road to penalties and sanctions. That's not what I desire for my alma mater. Fook the W's and L's for now. I'm buyin' and holdin'.
Who woulda thought that the great "In Buzz We Trust" phony cowboy would have left us in such bad shape. The guy that would be here as long as MU wanted him!
Sure hope that the door left a huge indentation on his ass as he bumbled through it.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #58 on: March 05, 2015, 10:32:48 AM »

Right there with ya.  Why do ya think his wife and kids haven't seen him since Christmas?  Landed Anim.  Maybe Traci's next.  Then a rebounder or did we see that last night from our good friend Steve? Then a transfer to develop.  All of a sudden we're playing real basketball again. 

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #59 on: March 05, 2015, 10:47:03 AM »
Right there with ya.  Why do ya think his wife and kids haven't seen him since Christmas?  Landed Anim.  Maybe Traci's next.  Then a rebounder or did we see that last night from our good friend Steve? Then a transfer to develop.  All of a sudden we're playing real basketball again. 

If we can pair Teve and Luke together consistently, I think we'll be doing alright on the boards.  Henry should be able to contribute in some capacity as well.  My major concern is PG, but lets see what the grad transfer ranks hold.  I see a grad transfer PG and Carter as a back-up next year....give the keys to Carter as a sophomore.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #60 on: March 05, 2015, 10:49:06 AM »
Bandwagon fans are hilarious

+1. Just brutal.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #61 on: March 05, 2015, 10:49:44 AM »
Last year, with a supremely disappointing product, we still sold over 15,000 tickets per game and were in the top 20.  I know the crowd last night was light, but after a brutal year and with an after-8 pm start time in the middle of the week a day after I spent 2 hours trying to get downtown from the west trust me when I say going to the game was a supreme effort.  The only people surprised by light attendance under these circumstances are the same ones that think we should be ranked because we have Top 100 recruits on the team.  The reality is that at the end of a long, long year it is just not that enjoyable.

Hope to see you all on Senior Day.

Don't forget it was also midterms, which affected student attendance. I couldn't blame a kid who had a big test today from skipping that game.

As for the people who don't renew their season tickets because this was a bad year, screw 'em.  Gives all the true fans a chance to move to better seats.  Then in the next year or two when we are great again, those fair weather bandwagon jumpers can either sit behind us or pay scalper prices.
Have some patience, FFS.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #62 on: March 05, 2015, 10:50:12 AM »
No, they suck!!!!!!

I went to a high school that won maybe 10 games over a 6 year period from my 5th grade year through 10th grade.  My last two years they won 34 games and were ranked in the top 10 in the state in their division my senior year.  My first year in college the team was #1 ranked until losing in the state semi-finals in Madison.  My parents took me to every game they could during the losing years, never complaining about the coaches or the players and they and their friends were always there supporting the team. People who didn't step foot in the gymnasium for 7 years all of a sudden became big fans and some of these people lived close enough to the high school to walk to the gym.  They were the epitome of bandwagon fans and I could have given two craps about them.

Get your ass out there Saturday and support the seniors.  They stayed with the program through a coaching change and are now on their 3rd AD.  They have played hard this year from beginning to end.  If you want a great team every year, you have to do your duty as a fan.

Did you go to Niles North?

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #63 on: March 05, 2015, 10:59:07 AM »
If we can pair Teve and Luke together consistently, I think we'll be doing alright on the boards.  Henry should be able to contribute in some capacity as well.  My major concern is PG, but lets see what the grad transfer ranks hold.  I see a grad transfer PG and Carter as a back-up next year....give the keys to Carter as a sophomore.

When we can go 5 on 5 this summer I want Steve and Luke to be on the same team every day.  Right now they have to cover each other in practice.  Let Matt beat the crap out of Luke to toughen him up and allow Henry school his new captain just like Jabari would have back in the day.  We just might end up with 3 bigs that can play effectively while Matty fills some minutes for Luke.

I can almost hear Wojo hollering at Matty.  'Foul him.  Hit Luke every freakin' time.'

(By the way, read your new PM 03.)   :)

Goose

• All American
« Reply #64 on: March 05, 2015, 11:28:32 AM »
While I understand disappointment in the crowd I am nowhere near jumping off the bandwagon. Wojo has work cut out for him and until proven otherwise I am still a believer. The comparison with the Dukiet era only has meaning to me in terms of similar records. If, and I say if, the admin is still 100% behind the program things will turn around relatively quickly. I say if not to stir any pot, but as an only reason why things will not improve.

The past two seasons have been brutal to be an MU fan and we all get it. I do think they are apples and oranges though. Last year was highlighted by a guy running out of town and this by a guy trying to pick up the pieces. Mentioned on another thread that if same discussion going on next March I will be worried. That said, I am looking for improvement happening from day one next year.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #65 on: March 05, 2015, 11:31:37 AM »
It will be nice to have the Heldt, Ellenson, Fischer triumvirate inside.   Taylor too.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #66 on: March 05, 2015, 11:54:45 AM »
As for the people who don't renew their season tickets because this was a bad year, screw 'em.  Gives all the true fans a chance to move to better seats.  

We've had-- what I consider to be-- nice, upper bowl seats since '05. Although we certainly have the points to be in the lower bowl, I don't want to.  A bad MU team moves more people to my cheaper section, hurting my chances of getting the seats I want.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #67 on: March 05, 2015, 12:30:35 PM »
I'm curious, someone with some time to research .. find a solid team, who has had 5+ years of greatness, then 2 years of awful .. followed by a climb up again.   How quickly did their attendance go down, and recover?  Or did it?

I wouldn't call some of those years great....one year we were the last 4 into the tournament, and those regular season games are what people go to.  That was an up and down year.  Some of the greatness you are talking about was tournament related.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #68 on: March 05, 2015, 12:45:06 PM »
We've had-- what I consider to be-- nice, upper bowl seats since '05. Although we certainly have the points to be in the lower bowl, I don't want to.  A bad MU team moves more people to my cheaper section, hurting my chances of getting the seats I want.

The last 3 years I've seen my upper bowl seats get worse. Have a feeling I might get bumped further back next year, which has me planning to move lower bowl. Would love to get into 218.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #69 on: March 05, 2015, 07:05:36 PM »
We had tix and drove up from Chicago, stayed until the end as we usually do.  I will say, though, that the first ten minutes of the second half were especially deadening and brutal.  It took half an hour to play seven-eight minutes.  We will be there on Saturday to support the seniors.

sodakmu87

• Walk-On
« Reply #70 on: March 05, 2015, 07:44:32 PM »
I would agree.   I am traveling from the Dakotas (yeah, both of them!) with a band of geezer brothers from the MU 1980s to see the game Saturday.   This way we can really say we were there when the team was down.  So sad we cannot go to Angelo's anymore.  Hegarty's bit the dust , too.   Real Chili lives on!  I'm looking forward to buying some kids chili and telling them what I paid to go to Marquette!

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #71 on: March 05, 2015, 07:59:08 PM »
Why are we keyboard yelping on the brothers and sisters who showed up and left a few minutes early versus those who didn't show at all?  Lower bowl. 90 people in my section. Nine showed up. Money seats. I spent 5 hours to get to the game and back. Yet, grief from folks keeping the couch warm away from the BC vs. folks who left a few minutes early?  Really?

Students?  500 out of 4000.  Good to see the Band, Spirit Squad and Fanatics seniors recognized. Great group to survive the last two years. Class act by MU. I would hire any of them in a minute.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 06:12:45 AM by Dr. Blackheart »

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #72 on: March 05, 2015, 08:15:58 PM »
Groin Pull-- we are detecting a bit of frustration in your posts. Cheer up, be happy. There is always next year...or the year after...or the year after that! And so on.

Yup, it's been tough. Especially with the Vadgers riding so high. Just a very frustrated alum and fan.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #73 on: March 05, 2015, 08:29:57 PM »
Badgers make me sick.    If they win it all, this season will be like the Yellowstone Caldera going boom. 

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #74 on: March 05, 2015, 08:36:50 PM »
Why would anyone stay to watch that crap? Frankly, why would anyone show up in the first place?
Because I paid for my tickets.