2024 Transfer Portal by onepost
[Today at 10:09:20 PM]

Academic All Americans by Pakuni
[Today at 09:06:28 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 07:57:45 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WhiteTrash
[Today at 07:24:33 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 06:35:36 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by WhiteTrash
[Today at 05:13:59 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: When did you know the season was over?  (Read 12849 times)

DienerTime34

• All American
When did you know the season was over?
« on: March 04, 2015, 12:04:54 PM »
I honestly thought we were a bubble team the night we beat Arizona St.

I knew it was over when the refs ruled Carlino's foot was on the line against Georgetown, and the team didn't show up for the overtime period.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
Re: When did you know the season was over?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 12:08:55 PM »
After the UNO loss I thought we'd be really bad, got some hope by the ASU game, then knew an at large bid was toast after the GTown loss.

mumagz84

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 12:09:23 PM »
After they lost to DePaul on New Year's Eve and I then changed my conference win projection that night to five from 10.  If they win tonight and beat DePaul on Saturday, my projection would be correct. Either way, this will go down as one of five under .500 seasons in the last 50 years.

I knew after the DePaul loss, however, this was going to be a transition year.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 12:14:29 PM by mumagz84 »

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 12:10:40 PM »
The season is not over.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2015, 12:20:46 PM »

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2015, 12:23:09 PM »
The close win over NJIT on the heels of the loss to UNO ended my faint hopes of an NCAA bid, but I held out slim hope for the NIT until Seton Hall rolled us at home.

Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2015, 12:24:37 PM »
When Wojochewski went back to man to man defense.

Some of the worst man up d I've seen, zone defense was actually solid.   

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2015, 12:30:00 PM »
It's not over until we lose in MSG.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2015, 12:35:09 PM »
The loss to UNO. At that point, I knew it would be an extremely bumpy ride.

Marquette_g

• All American
  • Gonna Get Some Cold Cuts Today
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2015, 12:37:08 PM »
The close win over NJIT on the heels of the loss to UNO ended my faint hopes of an NCAA bid, but I held out slim hope for the NIT until Seton Hall rolled us at home.

This hits the nail on the head for me.  

I can't recall a time since I went to MU (started in 1996) where I cared less about the team or a game.  

1. This team is terrible and isn't any fun to watch

2. Our conference - which I've been against since it was first announced that the C-7 would break away - contains no real rivals.  Who within our conference would we consider our biggest rival?  Depaul?  I know others were moving around us, but I'd still rather be in a conference with UCONN and Cincy than where we are now.

3.  The college game itself has gotten worse while the NBA game has improved.  I feel like the college game is struggling to try and keep up with the NBA instead of being their own product.  Having some replays is fine, but there should not be 5 minute delays in the action for an out-of-bounds decisions 8 minutes into the game.

4. We have a great recruiting class coming in, but it is fair to ask how good of a coach Wojo is?  I'm not saying he isn't good, but it would be premature to say that he is.  He doesn't have much talent, but he certainly hasn't maximized what he has either.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2015, 12:48:08 PM »

I can't recall a time since I went to MU (started in 1996) where I cared less about the team or a game.  

2. Our conference - which I've been against since it was first announced that the C-7 would break away - contains no real rivals.  Who within our conference would we consider our biggest rival?  Depaul?  I know others were moving around us, but I'd still rather be in a conference with UCONN and Cincy than where we are now.

3.  The college game itself has gotten worse while the NBA game has improved.  I feel like the college game is struggling to try and keep up with the NBA instead of being their own product.  Having some replays is fine, but there should not be 5 minute delays in the action for an out-of-bounds decisions 8 minutes into the game.

4. We have a great recruiting class coming in, but it is fair to ask how good of a coach Wojo is?  I'm not saying he isn't good, but it would be premature to say that he is.  He doesn't have much talent, but he certainly hasn't maximized what he has either.

Intro and 1. Agreed

2. Really? If you honestly think MU is better off in the American conference, you're clueless. I agree we don't have great rivalries, but they'll develop. The Big East has the 2nd best conference RPI and will year in and year out be in the top 4 conferences.  All while the American will die with UConn and Cincy inevitably get picked off by a power conference. 

3. Agreed. The college product has been piss poor the past few years, especially this year. There just aren't very many good teams, and only one great team. I could see a bunch of double digit seeds in the S16.

4. I cannot put this on Wojo.  I haven't exactly been thrilled with everything he has done, but what the heck is he supposed to do? Can't exactly mix up the lineup.  Losing Burton did and will hurt, and that bugs me, but I am not sure he could have done anything to change it.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2015, 12:55:31 PM »
I really like the current BE.  I think Butler and Xavier will be our rivals once we're good again.  I have too much respect for Nova to really hate them.  Georgetown I can both respect and hate.  Wisconsin is the biggest rival right now.  Definitely miss Louisville and ND but don't care about UConn and Cincy.  Georgetown has replaced UConn as the team I respect and hate at the same time.  Were we ever really rivals with Cincy or was it just because they were always the top dog?  When the Bearcats fell off it definitely lost that rivalry feel.

Too early to judge Wojo as a coach.  Wait 5 years to judge.

Marquette_g

• All American
  • Gonna Get Some Cold Cuts Today
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2015, 01:05:46 PM »
Intro and 1. Agreed

2. Really? If you honestly think MU is better off in the American conference, you're clueless. I agree we don't have great rivalries, but they'll develop. The Big East has the 2nd best conference RPI and will year in and year out be in the top 4 conferences.  All while the American will die with UConn and Cincy inevitably get picked off by a power conference.  

3. Agreed. The college product has been piss poor the past few years, especially this year. There just aren't very many good teams, and only one great team. I could see a bunch of double digit seeds in the S16.

4. I cannot put this on Wojo.  I haven't exactly been thrilled with everything he has done, but what the heck is he supposed to do? Can't exactly mix up the lineup.  Losing Burton did and will hurt, and that bugs me, but I am not sure he could have done anything to change it.

My point is not the current version of the American vs. the Current version of the Big East, but rather the American that includes the C-7.  I just feel the C-7 jumped too soon, and that greener pastures would have developed, bc I don't think the football conferences are done.  Eventually there will be some have-nots that could have been interesting.

A conversation for another day and a different thread though.

I agree completely that it is too early to judge Wojo, my thought is that his ability remains unknown as there are both positive and concerning signs.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 01:08:17 PM by Marquette_g »

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2015, 01:23:55 PM »
It was my understanding the season is still going. Or so the FS1 commercials showing the Big East Tournament say.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2015, 01:24:54 PM »

1. Sadly, I'm with you on this one. I now expect MU to lose every game...and struggle to care if they do. Heck, I've even missed a game or two entirely...not realizing MU had even played until the next day.

2. The Big East is the best MU could do, but it feels more mid-major that Power 5. Half-filled arenas and teams with players I've never heard of. And now, if you have AT&T, you can't even watch any of the games. Again, MU didn't have any choice, but it's sad to see where the Big East is now versus a few short years ago.

3. The NBA is miles ahead of college hoops. Most games are simply unwatchable. Poor shooting, endless turnovers, and coaches who think they're the stars of the show. And let's not mention the ridiculous number of timeouts during each game. It's a grind to get through a game these days.

4. Wojo has shown some growing pains, no doubt. I fear that next season could be a lot like this one. We're all putting tremendous pressure on the incoming freshmen to come in and instantly dominate—returning MU to glory. How often does a freshman come in and do that? Not too often.

I'd add 5. This is all going on while the Vadgers are on top the mountain. Coming off a Final Four...heading to another...Big 10 champions again...and Diamond Stone waiting in the wings.

If it sounds like I'm down, it's because I am.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2015, 01:36:58 PM »
The season isn't over.    If you are asking 'when did you know that MU was not going to have a successful season?', the answer is 11 months ago.   
Buzz left taking most of his recruit class with him, 70% of the scoring leaving from a 17-15 team, no size, do depth, no proven scoring, first time coach...... all of these things were clear 11 months ago. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2015, 01:39:54 PM »
When the buzzer sounds at the end of the national championship game which we'll win because we made the tournament through winning the big east tournament the season will be over.
Maigh Eo for Sam

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2015, 01:49:41 PM »
I knew we were going to have a bad season at the Halloween scrimmage

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2015, 02:17:48 PM »
I knew we were going to have a bad season at the Halloween scrimmage

I knew we were going to have a bad season 5 years ago, before anyone even heard of this team. #hipstered
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

warriorfan 14

• Starter
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2015, 02:42:38 PM »

same here

MU82

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2015, 02:54:49 PM »
The season isn't over.    If you are asking 'when did you know that MU was not going to have a successful season?', the answer is 11 months ago.   
Buzz left taking most of his recruit class with him, 70% of the scoring leaving from a 17-15 team, no size, do depth, no proven scoring, first time coach...... all of these things were clear 11 months ago. 

Absolutely this.

UNO/NJIT merely confirmed it.

Unlike some others, though, I haven't bailed on the season. I still enjoy it when a Duane or JJJ or Cohen or Luke shows a little spark. And I remain positive about our future.

It is impossible to judge Wojo, but being a positive person at heart and looking at his recruiting efforts so far, I tend to lean toward, "He's gonna be real good when he gets more game experience."

I actually was far more frustrated last season because Buzz had so much more to work with.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2015, 02:56:52 PM »
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=43773.msg615625#msg615625

Started this thread on April 10, 2014.   Looking at what was coming back and advocating 'deep cleansing breaths'.

Broached the idea of Derrick starting at the point on April 8.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 03:16:01 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2015, 03:11:24 PM »
The Georgetown overtime loss was really a shot to the solar plexus.
If I had to pick I'd say there.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2015, 03:46:21 PM »
When did the season start?

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2015, 04:03:58 PM »
2. The Big East is the best MU could do, but it feels more mid-major that Power 5. Half-filled arenas and teams with players I've never heard of. And now, if you have AT&T, you can't even watch any of the games. Again, MU didn't have any choice, but it's sad to see where the Big East is now versus a few short years ago.

Think this one's more based in perception than reality.

The 2015 Big East — not the mythical "Big East" of Patrick Ewing and Carmelo Anthony, nor some hypothetical Frankenstein-inspired Big East/AAC creation — is ranked #2 in the country for conference RPI.

Villanova is 27-2 and ranked ahead of the best teams in the Big Ten (Wisconsin), Pac-10 (Arizona) and Big 12 (Kansas), respectively.

With tournament time just around the corner, most sources predict 6 NCAA bids for the Big East. That's 6 out of 10 conference teams making the field of 68. How is that less impressive than the Big Ten sending 7 of 14 teams? Or the ACC sending 6 of 15 teams? And how does that possibly qualify as mid-major?

I'll grant you that there aren't a lot of big-name players beyond Kris Dunn, Chris Objekpa and Josh Smith. But there's a lot of talent in this league. Come tournament time, chances are that others will be making names for themselves.

My advice: stop pining for what the Big East used to be. It used to be a highly unstable conference that pull all its chips on football and lost big-time when school after school — including BC, Louisville, Miami, ND, Pitt, Rutgers, Syracuse, VT, WV — left for greener pastures.

The current Big East is a great basketball conference with a strong foundation and a bright future. It doesn't have to try to be the ACC or the Big Ten. In today's chaotic college athletics landscape, I wouldn't want Marquette anywhere else.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

feedback