Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: St. John's only favored by 2 - Carlino was really discouraged at Prov at one pt  (Read 4593 times)

bamamarquettefan

• All American
  • pudner-at-aspen-ideas-festival.jpg
    • Value Add Basketball
We seem to still have some respect with a redhot St. John's team (6 of last 7) only favored by 2 tomorrow.

I was in the 2nd row in Providence and Carlino really looked completely discouraged at one point when we called timeout when the margin got bad. Looked like he was just genuinely depressed that nothing was working. Was really proud on how he seemed to regroup before play started again and helped with the run - though obviously it was largely just Duane bombing.

Glad he is back starting. Still looking forward to being at the Big East tournament again - will just hope for an upset opening night and not think any further.
The www.valueaddsports.com analysis of basketball, football and baseball players are intended to neither be too hot or too cold - hundreds immerse themselves in studies of stats not of interest to broader fan bases (too hot), while others still insist on pure observation (too cold).

jsglow

• All American
I think our kids will come out with energy tonight.  My sincere hope is that they'll be able to get a win and build some confidence toward another victory on Senior Day.

4everwarriors

• All American
"Let's do this," hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

BCHoopster

• All American
"Let's do this," hey?

Trying to figure why the spread is so low?  St. Johns is fighting for an NCAA bid, MU fighting to finish a horrible season, love St. Johns tonight.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
I am sort of torn.  Obviously the likelihood of MU winning four in a row in NYC is very low with with 10 seed, but the chances of MU beating Nova in the quarterfinals the morning after a night game is virtually zero. MU would at least have a puncher's chance of winning a couple games with 10 seed...and then well, you never know (Georgia won the SEC tournament a few years back after finishing in last place).  Was really hoping Creighton would pull out the W last night to give them a two game lead over MU.

I now see it as a fairly likely scenario that MU and Creighton tie, which leaves MU with the 9 seed.  Creighton COULD beat X in their final game, but unlikely as X will be playing for their tournament lives.  I think Marquette has a decent chance of winning one of the next two games, which leaves both with 4 league wins.  I would never root for a loss, but I don't think I'd be that disappointed either.  That's what this season has come to...yikes.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
I am sort of torn.  Obviously the likelihood of MU winning four in a row in NYC is very low with with 10 seed, but the chances of MU beating Nova in the quarterfinals the morning after a night game is virtually zero. MU would at least have a puncher's chance of winning a couple games with 10 seed...and then well, you never know (Georgia won the SEC tournament a few years back after finishing in last place).  Was really hoping Creighton would pull out the W last night to give them a two game lead over MU.

I now see it as a fairly likely scenario that MU and Creighton tie, which leaves MU with the 9 seed.  Creighton COULD beat X in their final game, but unlikely as X will be playing for their tournament lives.  I think Marquette has a decent chance of winning one of the next two games, which leaves both with 4 league wins.  I would never root for a loss, but I don't think I'd be that disappointed either.  That's what this season has come to...yikes.

If MU were to beat St. John's they'd all but be assured 9th place. However, if MU loses tonight, there still seems to be a lot of tie breaker scenarios to play out (that I am not willing to try to figure out). For instance, if St John's and Providence end up tied, I think Crieghton would actually win the tie breaker based on conference road record (which would be the next tie breaker as both would be 1-3 against providence and St. johns (I think so without going back and looking any way).

jsglow

• All American

Color me not interested.  Win tonight.  Win anytime you can.  I will never root for defeat. 

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
If MU were to beat St. John's they'd all but be assured 9th place. However, if MU loses tonight, there still seems to be a lot of tie breaker scenarios to play out (that I am not willing to try to figure out). For instance, if St John's and Providence end up tied, I think Crieghton would actually win the tie breaker based on conference road record (which would be the next tie breaker as both would be 1-3 against providence and St. johns (I think so without going back and looking any way).

Not necessarily.  I haven't played out all the scenarios either, but if MU wins tonight, CU beats X, and MU loses to Depaul this weekend (less likely scenario in my mind) - Creighton would have 5 wins to MU's 4.

It is probably more likely that MU loses tonight, which basically means an MU win and CU loss this weekend (which will probably be Vegas' choices), MU is the 9 and CU is the 10. 

Color me not interested.  Win tonight.  Win anytime you can.  I will never root for defeat. 

I just said I would never root for a Marquette loss...but I'd also like MU to last beyond the 3rd game played at MSG next weekend (and in a selfish way, get out of the weekday day game schedule). The 9 seed is very unlikely to do that.  But it is what it is - MU is not going to be throwing any games to get the 10, and will be the dog in their first game anyway.   

NavinRJohnson

• All American
I will say, if MU ends up as the 10 seed and Georgetown the 2, I do believe MU will be playing Friday night (and lose). A little bit of fun to end a miserable season.

NavinRJohnson

• All American

It is probably more likely that MU loses tonight, which basically means an MU win and CU loss this weekend (which will probably be Vegas' choices), MU is the 9 and CU is the 10. 

Depends what providence and St John's do on Saturday though. If they end up tied, it would go the other way I believe.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
I will say, if MU ends up as the 10 seed and Georgetown the 2, I do believe MU will be playing Friday night (and lose). A little bit of fun to end a miserable season.

I wouldn't hate MU's chances against Providence on a neutral court. It would certainly makes things fun.  

warriorfan 14

• Starter
feel bad for carlino. pretty good player on just a terrible team...kinda wasted his senior season. although he had to know what he was getting into.

i'm cheering for a win tonight. could care less about seeding in big east tourney as there is no way in hell we are going to win it no matter what seed we are

BM1090

• All American
I think Creighton wins on Saturday. Senior day, real tough gym to play in. Creighton has been playing a lot better lately. I think they are better than Seton Hall and DePaul right now.

feedback