'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by willie warrior
[Today at 03:50:16 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: [MattVelazquezSays]Duane Wilson not limited to point guard role in the future  (Read 8396 times)

MattVelazquezSays

Duane Wilson not limited to point guard role in the future

When you look at Marquette's roster for next year, there's no one at the point guard position. There are plenty of guards, but no player specifically pegged as the point guard of the future for the Golden Eagles.
Source: Duane Wilson not limited to point guard role in the future

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
The Process says Du won't be playing PG, a'nia?

wadesworld

• All American
The Process says Du won't be playing exclusively PG, a'nia?

FIFY
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

HutchwasClutch

• All American
I really believe Cohen will be able to play PG in spots as his career progresses.  He's got all the skill to do it very well.  All he needs is experience.

DienerTime34

• All American
So if SwaggyDu ain't playing PG, I guess that leaves Sandy Cohen and JJJ on the current roster.

So if Wojo can't land Traci Carter ... yikes. We may have to get Rob Hanley back.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
So if SwaggyDu ain't playing PG, I guess that leaves Sandy Cohen and JJJ on the current roster.

So if Wojo can't land Traci Carter ... yikes. We may have to get Rob Hanley back.

Who says Wojo's Traci Carter or bust at PG for next year as far as incoming recruits?  We don't know all the kids he's looking at and considering.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
FIFY
Yeah, but this, "If (running the offense) is the only thing he's doing you're taking away one of his great strengths which is to put the ball in the basket," Wojciechowski said. "There's not many guys that can do that, so that's a really good strength to have.", tells me he will be doing it only in certain matchups and special situations.
Goal is National Championship

jsglow

• All American
Who says Wojo's Traci Carter or bust at PG for next year as far as incoming recruits?  We don't know all the kids he's looking at and considering.

+1  I guess folks think that Wojo hasn't given consideration to this.  Cripes.  Let's give him some credit.

DienerTime34

• All American
+1  I guess folks think that Wojo hasn't given consideration to this.  Cripes.  Let's give him some credit.

You guys are right. It's clear that I am not respecting The Process the way it deserves to be respected. What I said was basically the equivalent of taking The Process out to a nice seafood dinner, and then not calling it the day after.

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
I really believe Cohen will be able to play PG in spots as his career progresses.  He's got all the skill to do it very well.  All he needs is experience.

Nothing I have seen from Cohen leads me to believe he could play PG. His game has consisted of being a spot up 3 point shooter for the most part this year, so not really sure what PG skills you're referring to.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
Admittedly my basketball IQ is limited to being a coach for my 6yr old's team and watching uncountable hours of hoops on TV.  Given that.......is there an advantage to having one strong ball handler that is a decent scoring threat over having two strong scoring threats that are decent ball handlers?  

Seems like the 'one point' offense has been around for almost as long as 'taking the air out of the ball'.  Couldn't a two headed monster with Duane and ________ be the ticket to unleashing the offense next year?  One of the two heads would presumably always be over matched while the over would be at an advantage.  Seems like a coach could develop a host of plays based off of having two 'capable', but not starting, point guards who can score.

Again, layman's POV but i've been scratching my head over the fixation on a "true" point guard.............show me my ignorance (non sarcastic i'd like to know)

HutchwasClutch

• All American
Nothing I have seen from Cohen leads me to believe he could play PG. His game has consisted of being a spot up 3 point shooter for the most part this year, so not really sure what PG skills you're referring to.

You really think his skill set is limited to a spot up three point shooter and that's essentially all he brings?  Holy cow.

MuMark

• All American
Sandy hasn't made many plays off the dribble so far and isn't overly quick.

I don't see him as a point guard but 2 or 3 years from now I guess you never know.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
Sandy hasn't made many plays off the dribble so far and isn't overly quick.

I don't see him as a point guard but 2 or 3 years from now I guess you never know.

All I'm saying is he could play the position in spots.  I don't believe it's his natural position.   But he's got the size and handle to do it well in spots.  And he has made some plays off the dribble this year.   

We'll see.  The kid is multi-talented. Any freshman that puts up 12 pts in 12 minutes against a probable NCAA team (Providence) is capable of doing special things.  And he scored those buckets in a variety of ways that game, not just spotting up.   He's only scratched the surface of his potential I think, very excited about what he'll bring next three years.

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
You really think his skill set is limited to a spot up three point shooter and that's essentially all he brings?  Holy cow.

I don't think that his skill set is limited to being a spot up 3 point shooter, but that's about all he's shown this year. I don't think he has demonstrated anything this year, that should lead anyone to believe he has the potential to play any PG going forward.

esotericmindguy

• All American
One thing I'm worried about is Wojo viewing the PG position through his own eyes. "If (running the offense) is the only thing he's doing you're taking away one of his great strengths...scoring". Who says a PG is limited to "running the offense". I love the value of PGs that can score, most of the great ones can. Hopefully Travis can talk to him about it, he averaged 14 shots a game his junior and senior year while averaging 19 & 20 per game. He seemed to do just fine at the PG position. He also dished out 6 assists his junior year and 7 his senior year. And Travis average 7.5 and 2.5 his freshman year in 23 minutes. My goodness, Duane is only taking 10 shots per game and he's great off the dribble. I think Duane is similar to Travis, it's a mistake not to having him playing PG right now.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
I don't think that his skill set is limited to being a spot up 3 point shooter, but that's about all he's shown this year. I don't think he has demonstrated anything this year, that should lead anyone to believe he has the potential to play any PG going forward.

So why can't he be a future PG in spots if you admit his skill set is beyond that of a spot up 3 point shooter?  What is your impression of his skill set?  The kid's only a freshman, you can't project his game expanding at all beyond what you've seen this year?  He's had moments where he's done more than just spot up and jack threes.  

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
So why can't he be a future PG in spots if you admit his skill set is beyond that of a spot up 3 point shooter?  What is your impression of his skill set?  The kid's only a freshman, you can't project his game expanding at all beyond what you've seen this year?  He's had moments where he's done more than just spot up and jack threes.  

I guess when I think of a PG, I think of someone being able to beat a guy off the dribble, break a defense down, penetrate and dish, things along theses lines. I havent seen him do that very often this year, so I don't get how you are projecting him to play any PG. Maybe he can and I'm wrong. Either way, I like him and hope he continues to improve!

Daniel

• All American
We need a point guard who can shoot, distribute and dribble. This year's team, Derrick Wilson is the only guy who can dribble in traffic and against a press.

esotericmindguy

• All American
We need a point guard who can shoot, distribute and dribble. This year's team, Derrick Wilson is the only guy who can dribble in traffic and against a press.

I have 0 doubts Duane can dribble the ball up the floor, the guy penetrates the lane on a regular basis. The level of difficulty in that situation is higher than simply dribbling the ball up the floor. When does Derrick dribble in traffic?

MU82

• All American
I think Duane can be a high-major PG but I'm not sure. He has shown the ability to shoot and the ability to drive and look for his own shot. He has not yet shown any ability to create off the dribble and set up others. Nor has he shown much ability to handle pressure defense. I'm not saying he can't do those things; I am saying we haven't seen much of it.

Cohen? We've seen even less. But hey, I guess if Jamil could play PG in a pinch, maybe Cohen can, too.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

mattyv1908

• All American
I think Duane can be a high-major PG but I'm not sure. He has shown the ability to shoot and the ability to drive and look for his own shot. He has not yet shown any ability to create off the dribble and set up others. Nor has he shown much ability to handle pressure defense. I'm not saying he can't do those things; I am saying we haven't seen much of it.

Cohen? We've seen even less. But hey, I guess if Jamil could play PG in a pinch, maybe Cohen can, too.

Jamil was a far superior athlete and we'll have hit the lottery if Cohen even sniffs Jamil as his ceiling.
Shut this board down at the opening tip.  If they win, open it back up.  If they lose, keep it shut it down until the next morning.  - Sultan of Slurpery

lohaus

• Starter
Jamil vertical measured at 41 inches for the NBA while I believe Cohen's vertical was 40+ inches as a summer time freshman.  I find it hard to compare by calling him a far superior athlete when he is a senior with 4 years of strength and conditioning under his belt.

Cohen is 6'6" with a wing span far more then that, a 40+ inch vertical leap, state champion triple jumper, and large hands to palm the ball quite easy.  As an athlete is this dude a slouch? By no means.

Was he a freshman and trying to figure the game out?. Most definitely.  I was actually surprised he was playing the 3 position this year.  I also think he had the ability to play point guard or lead guard in spots.  As for Jamil, he was one of the more frustrating players to watch because he seemed to have all the tools to dominate. . . but he didn't.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
I've seen nothing that makes me think Cohen could play point.

I think Duane could be very successful at the point. He may be best at the 2 but I don't think that means that he can't also be great at the 1.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GOO

• All American
I've seen nothing that makes me think Cohen could play point.

I think Duane could be very successful at the point. He may be best at the 2 but I don't think that means that he can't also be great at the 1.

100% agree.  Duane will get time at the point next year or thereafter, but next year I hope he can play the two and concentrate on being a great two.  If Cohen had to play point guard, I would have to close my eyes when he brings the ball up the court against pressure.  Not saying he can't develop that skill, just he hasn't shown anything yet to think he is ready to do so.  When Tony Smith was a freshman who would have thought he'd develop into a point and a great one at that?  So, it can happen.  Tony was very, very hesitant his freshman year and it took him a while to get going and get confident.

Anyway, what skills are we looking for in a point guard.  Here is my list, more or less in order:

1.  Ability to bring the ball up the court against a defender and against pressure.  Requires a great handle, ability to keep your head up and not turn your back on the defender, and an ability to be aware of the court and where the players are... all the while looking out for open teammates and opportunities.  In, short, the PG has to be a great un-conscience ball handler and able to un-consciencely get past a one on one defender while bring the ball up the court without burning a lot of time while looking for teammates.  Thereby allowing one to be in attack mode and not mentally preoccupied with the defender in front of you.  The great ones don't really have to worry about ball pressure because they are so good at it other teams concede that it is a waste.

If you don't have this, forget it.  The rest won't matter.

2.  The ability to break down his defender and get into the lane and find open shooters or lay it off for another player down low.  So, in short driving, passing and seeing the floor really well.   This requires the ability to take it to the hoop and score when available so that the PG draws the defender.  This also assumes there is a big that can lay it in and catch it and a couple of guys that can shoot it on the team  ;D

If you don't have this, then forget it.

3. The ability to hit a jumper from 16' or at least pull up and hit a short jumper while still seeing the court and being able to pass.   If you can't do this, you have to be really good at #2 and #4.

4.  The ability to hit a three when left open.  You don't have to a great 3 point shooter, but hit at least 33% or so if left open.  Obviously, the better you are at this the better for the team.  But after 8 years of having point guards that can't shoot, I sure as heck hope that next year we have someone that can do #3 or #4 and hopefully both.  A great 3 point shooter at PG allows the PG to get past his man, of course, more easily and takes a defender away from the lane, of course.  Nothing that is news here.

5.  A leader.  A guy who doesn't get rattled and who wants the ball in his hands when things start to get helter-skelter and players get rattled.  Calm down and take control and slow things down when necessary.  This could be another player with more experience, but a point should have this ability.

6.  I guy that has high basketball IQ and knows where his teammates are supposed to be, and anticipates his teammates, and knows the teammates well enough to know where to give them the ball and where not to... I guy who can adjust and has a feel for the game and for who on his team is able to exploit a weekness or is having problems with a particular defender, etc.  A feel for tempo and when to push the opposing team and when to slow it down.

_________________________  The above are what make a point guard, in my opinion on offense.  Ya, Diener as a junior or senior isn't walking through that door for next year, but maybe Diener as a younger player will be...  A player doesn't have to be great at all of these, but has to have some decent ability at all of these areas.  PG sure is a tough position compared say, a two guard.

We are ignoring defense a lot because we have been so bad at PG on offense for the last 8 years (and really James had 2 good years as a point guard and 2 less than stellar years as a point guard (when he was a soph and junior he took too many 3's early in the shot clock, or so I remember).  But the point guard has to be able to stay in front of his man on D and keep him out of the lane, for all but the most exceptional opposing PG players.  So he has to be able to move laterally well and be pretty darn quick.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 01:05:36 PM by GOO »

feedback