2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WeAreMarquette96
[April 15, 2024, 10:20:46 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Zog from Margo
[April 15, 2024, 10:12:01 PM]

Going Portaling: Which Portal Prospect do you want and why? by DoctorV
[April 15, 2024, 09:54:11 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Tyler COLEk
[April 15, 2024, 08:53:41 PM]

[Paint Touches] Shaka reaffirms MU commitment by TSmith34, Inc.
[April 15, 2024, 07:07:35 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by PGsHeroes32
[April 15, 2024, 06:38:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Isn't Dequon Miller (PG) exactly what we need?  (Read 15023 times)

moomoo

• Team Captain
Isn't Dequon Miller (PG) exactly what we need?
« on: March 03, 2015, 09:08:07 AM »
Tough, more experienced, has a chip on his shoulder, super quick, pass first but can shoot, 50% from the field, 44% from three, 82% from FT, strong defender

Who cares if he's undersized, not worried about him getting posted up, and his lack of size is irrelevant when he's shooting due to Luke, Cheatham, and Henry being double teamed and therefore he's wide open.

"He’s a very fast PG with great vision. He knocks down shots from deep and has a lethal pull-up jumper. He gets in the paint and makes quick decisions to find the open shooter or finish around opposing defenders. Dequon has very quick hands on defense and gets steals in the open court. Along with his speed he uses his nice handle to break down defenders and create space for himself. He is a good decision maker in pick-and-roll situations and is a very good decision maker in transition."

Go get him Wojo!  
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 09:09:56 AM by moomoo »
Silenzio. Parla il moomoo.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Isn't Dequon Miller (PG) exactly what we need?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 09:25:49 AM »
I really like Miller. Carter seems like a great late pickup if we can get him, but I like Miller's experience and knowing he's a bit further along. We could definitely use two point guards. Though I will say if Miller was a priority I think he'd have an offer already.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Celtic Truth

• Starter
  • THE TRUTH
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 09:57:24 AM »
I have no worries about his talent as a player, I like his game a lot and I think he could be an impact player right away. However I don't know if he is the type of player Wojo wants. And it is still very unclear whether or not Wojo will take juco players at all.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 10:20:33 AM »
Either Miller or Carter would be great.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 10:23:24 AM »
I would take him.   I am not Wojo.    Let it play out. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2015, 10:29:10 AM »
Respect the process, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2015, 01:06:40 PM »
I'm not necessarily pointing towards Miller with this comment since I don't know about his academics.  I will say that if a top JUCO point guard hasn't been watched or visited by a Marquette staff member, it's may simply be a transcript issue.
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2015, 01:12:15 PM »
I would take him.   I am not Wojo.    Let it play out. 

This.  We'll know a lot more in a month.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2015, 05:56:22 PM »
Respect the process, hey?

The good doc gets it.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2015, 06:23:34 PM »

Evidently, in Wojo's opinion, no, Traci Carter is.  And Wojo's opinion is the one trusted by me (and MU's administration).  I know it's easy to read a scouting report and get excited, but I'll stay skeptical until Miller gets an offer. 

Tough, more experienced, has a chip on his shoulder, super quick, pass first but can shoot, 50% from the field, 44% from three, 82% from FT, strong defender

Who cares if he's undersized, not worried about him getting posted up, and his lack of size is irrelevant when he's shooting due to Luke, Cheatham, and Henry being double teamed and therefore he's wide open.

"He’s a very fast PG with great vision. He knocks down shots from deep and has a lethal pull-up jumper. He gets in the paint and makes quick decisions to find the open shooter or finish around opposing defenders. Dequon has very quick hands on defense and gets steals in the open court. Along with his speed he uses his nice handle to break down defenders and create space for himself. He is a good decision maker in pick-and-roll situations and is a very good decision maker in transition."

Go get him Wojo!  

I hope that the "has a chip on his shoulder" comment isn't something that you just assumed because he is a JUCO.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2015, 08:15:54 PM »

Evidently, in Wojo's opinion, no, Traci Carter is.  And Wojo's opinion is the one trusted by me (and MU's administration).  I know it's easy to read a scouting report and get excited, but I'll stay skeptical until Miller gets an offer. 

I hope that the "has a chip on his shoulder" comment isn't something that you just assumed because he is a JUCO.

I think Wojo thinks both are exactly what were looking for
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

moomoo

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2015, 08:39:59 PM »

You apparently assumed that. I did not. Read his story about his senior year of high school. Kid has something to prove. It has nothing to do with him being a juco.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2015, 10:56:51 AM »
You apparently assumed that. I did not. Read his story about his senior year of high school. Kid has something to prove. It has nothing to do with him being a juco.

There are a lot of tired old cliches that get trotted out when writing about recruits.  This board, in particular, going back to Buzz's recruitment of JUCO's liked to automatically characterize JUCO's as having chips on their shoulders.  You have a history of being one of the few really good sources on this board regarding recruiting information, so I "hoped" that you weren't falling into that trap and evidently you weren't.  I'm glad my hopes were not misplaced.

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2015, 10:58:00 AM »
I think Wojo thinks both are exactly what were looking for

Why do you think that Wojo has held off on an offer to Miller then?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2015, 06:55:45 PM »
Why do you think that Wojo has held off on an offer to Miller then?

Have to make sure academics are in order
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2015, 05:55:33 PM »
Have to make sure academics are in order

Thanks for filling me in.

moomoo

• Team Captain
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2015, 06:05:54 PM »
There are a lot of tired old cliches that get trotted out when writing about recruits.  This board, in particular, going back to Buzz's recruitment of JUCO's liked to automatically characterize JUCO's as having chips on their shoulders.  You have a history of being one of the few really good sources on this board regarding recruiting information, so I "hoped" that you weren't falling into that trap and evidently you weren't.  I'm glad my hopes were not misplaced.

I totally get it, my marquette fratello. And I agree. It's easy to generalize. But this kid comes with a legit story of some setbacks that makes me cheer for him. And the kid plays strong.

Celtic Truth

• Starter
  • THE TRUTH
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2015, 11:34:58 PM »
Announced tonight that he will take all 5 of his official visits. He said that Arkansas St. will be his first visit from march 29-31

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2015, 06:11:52 AM »
Plenty of time.  Sure would be nice if Traci gave Wojo some indication this week.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2015, 09:55:45 AM »
Announced tonight that he will take all 5 of his official visits. He said that Arkansas St. will be his first visit from march 29-31

Please can we dispense with the obligatory, "He's visiting Arkansas State, he can't be any good" post.

moomoo

• Team Captain
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2015, 03:50:38 PM »
He will be announcing his ten schools tonight. I guess we will see if Marquette officially offered (that is, if we are in the top ten).

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2015, 04:00:33 PM »
He will be announcing his ten schools tonight. I guess we will see if Marquette officially offered (that is, if we are in the top ten).

I can't imagine a situation where Marquette doesn't make his top 10. I asked Juco recruiting about where we stood with Dequon, and he (dequon) pretty much favorited my question within 10 seconds. Either he likes Marquette a lot or he just likes favoriting and retweeting any and everything about himself.  Both are legit possibilities.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

moomoo

• Team Captain
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2015, 05:11:35 PM »
I can't imagine a situation where Marquette doesn't make his top 10. I asked Juco recruiting about where we stood with Dequon, and he (dequon) pretty much favorited my question within 10 seconds. Either he likes Marquette a lot or he just likes favoriting and retweeting any and everything about himself.  Both are legit possibilities.

BarneseyBoy

I know you can't take much stock in highlight clips and feel good stories, but I truly believe if this kid was three inches taller, he'd have many other schools besides ole miss and Tennessee interested in him. Never lost sight of the prize and kept pushing forward.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2015, 05:24:17 PM »

Nothing like keeping his options open with a "top 10"!!
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2015, 09:41:17 PM »
Dequon Miller ‏@MrIrrelevant_0  5m5 minutes ago
I get 100 retweets I'll release my top 10 schools tonight
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein