'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Damon Key's son, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel Article  (Read 14176 times)

The Lens

• All American
Damon Key's son, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel Article
« on: March 03, 2015, 07:49:50 AM »
Nice read on Damon's son Jaylen:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/preps/highly-touted-jaylen-key-levi-bradley-follow-in-fathers-basketball-footsteps-b99454614z1-294775361.html

Damon's 3 against Duke to go up 9-0 and make Coach K call at timeout was an out of body experience for a guy raised on Bob Dukiet hoops.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

willie warrior

• All American
Re: Damon Key's son, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel Article
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 07:55:52 AM »
If that is Damon, he has put on a few pounds. Hell of a player for MU. If his son has his talent, we should have taken him. Anybody ever see the kid play?
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 08:02:03 AM »

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/preps/highly-touted-jaylen-key-levi-bradley-follow-in-fathers-basketball-footsteps-b99454614z1-294775361.html

Damon's 3 against Duke to go up 9-0 and make Coach K call at timeout was an out of body experience for a guy raised on Bob Dukiet hoops.
Key was a very good player...kind of a poor man's Davante, without the phenomenal post game, but a better ability to face the basket. I always thought he and Trevor Powell were two of the most underrated players in Marquette lore.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 08:04:20 AM »
If that is Damon, he has put on a few pounds. Hell of a player for MU. If his son has his talent, we should have taken him. Anybody ever see the kid play?

Yes, many on here have seen him. I think he & Bradley can have success at NIU. Key at MU would have been a stretch.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 08:07:18 AM »
Gardner used his bum to create space, Key used his middle.  Sweet face up from the wide post.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2015, 08:58:09 AM »
Damon certainly isn't missing any meals. Looks like a walking heart attack.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2015, 09:15:29 AM »

That was fun.  Solid player.  A long way from the Xavier game and closing minutes with Damon.  They grew up as young players.  Remember when people took out their keys when he was at the free throw line, which apparently he didn't care much for.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2015, 09:22:27 AM »

Maybe he needs to read "Grain Brain," ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2015, 09:28:15 AM »
BTW, what size is he?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GOO

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2015, 09:40:26 AM »
Great to see.  I sure hope Damon gets himself in shape.  Maybe he needs to get involved in some pick up games at the Al. Half court to start! 

I'd take Damon over Davante any day of the week.  Sweet jumper and could rebound and score down low.  It helped that he had Mac to cover up his misses on defense, of course.  But he could anchor and keep big men away from the hoop.  Damon is one of my all time MU favorites, after Diener, of course. I would say Davante had him down low on offense, but not by a lot. I'd take Damon over Davante any day.

And for the mention of Powell, he had those long arms and that deadly turn around jumper from the base line.  All most impossible to defend.  I remember Meyer on DePaul chatting up Powell and was told that he talked transfer to Powell.  I find that hard to believe, but he was fun to watch. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2015, 09:43:14 AM »
Mac made it in the pros, but Key was the better offensive post player.   Jumper out to about 15 ft.   If forced to choose, I, too, would take Damon over Davante. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2015, 09:47:25 AM »
Key > Gardner
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GOO

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2015, 09:47:49 AM »
Was it Damon who Majerus said his vertical was so bad that he couldn't slip a piece of paper under his shoe when he jumped... or something to that effect?  It was a joke of course, but I don't remember if that was an off hand comment about Damon or not.  
Damon was unique.  Great hands, jumper and a very large man, especially for that time.

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2015, 09:57:34 AM »
Damon has been that big for a long time. I saw him a few times at the House of Correction (job related) when he first started as a correctional officer in the late 90's and he was already that big back then. I think I remember Damon dunking once in a game in 4 years, we were convinced he couldn't but he proved us wrong on that occasion. Had a real nice game though, I'd take him over Davante also.
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2015, 10:08:41 AM »
Willie--we already have enough wings.

Mobot

• Team Captain
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2015, 10:56:40 AM »
Damon has been that big for a long time. I saw him a few times at the House of Correction (job related) when he first started as a correctional officer in the late 90's and he was already that big back then. I think I remember Damon dunking once in a game in 4 years, we were convinced he couldn't but he proved us wrong on that occasion. Had a real nice game though, I'd take him over Davante also.

I agree.  If you are overweight in college when you are running up and down the court 2-3 hours every single day, it's going to be pretty tough keep the weight off as you get older and are less active.

I also would take Key over Gardner.  Very similar players but I think Key was a little more cerebral and better at drawing his man away from the basket.  I guess he kind of had to in order to make room for Maclvaine... Davante never had to worry about that.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2015, 11:10:47 AM »
Key and Mac could switch back and forth between the high and low post.   Neither was a great passer, but they were relatively effective at sharing the ball between them.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Goose

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2015, 11:27:27 AM »
Damon over Gardner by wide margin.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2015, 11:29:45 AM »
When I was a freshman at MUHS, we scrimmaged against Damon when he was in 8th grade(Samuel Morse Middle School).  He was about 6'4" and 200 lbs.  He was the biggest 8th grader I had ever seen.  Dunking with ease.  Very tough player even back then.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2015, 11:45:30 AM »
When I was a freshman at MUHS, we scrimmaged against Damon when he was in 8th grade(Samuel Morse Middle School).  He was about 6'4" and 200 lbs.  He was the biggest 8th grader I had ever seen.  Dunking with ease.  Very tough player even back then.

You played basketball in high school?

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2015, 11:52:14 AM »
Damon Key

Now

And then

PE8983

• Team Captain
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2015, 11:54:54 AM »
I believe Damon's first game as a freshman was against Duke.  MU was trying to hang around, but later in the game came down on a fast break.  Someone on the wing passed to Damon coming flying down the lane, and he just posterized a Dukie with a tomahawk jamb.  One of the best he had, that's for sure.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2015, 12:11:46 PM »
Willie--we already have enough wings.

Well done!
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2015, 06:39:43 PM »
Key was a very good player...kind of a poor man's Davante, without the phenomenal post game, but a better ability to face the basket. I always thought he and Trevor Powell were two of the most underrated players in Marquette lore.

"a poor man's Davante"???

I was always a big Ox supporter, but your comment should be the other way around.

"a poor man's Damon"
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2015, 06:43:26 PM »
You played basketball in high school?

Even if he got a permanent ban, Ners will stay in 'Scoop lore for quite some time.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

feedback