Maximilian Langenfeld by withoutbias
[Today at 10:44:37 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by onepost
[Today at 10:09:20 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 07:57:45 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WhiteTrash
[Today at 07:24:33 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 06:35:36 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by WhiteTrash
[Today at 05:13:59 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 25 years ago this week....LMU....Hank Gathers died  (Read 3823 times)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Re: 25 years ago this week....LMU....Hank Gathers died
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 07:26:22 AM »
Played MU in our much debated 1987-88 season. Such a fun team to watch. Were you a frosh at that game? Or a senior in high school?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 07:39:01 AM by Dr. Blackheart »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 09:05:10 AM »
Played MU in our much debated 1987-88 season. Such a fun team to watch. Were you a frosh at that game? Or a senior in high school?

I was a frosh, but we played LMU over the Christmas break.  Listened to the game on the phone as back then there was a service you could call in and hear the play by play of the game.  My best friend from high school went to LMU and he gave me a lot of grief, it was all in fun. 

Remember the night Gathers died and calling him from Milwaukee.  He was in tears as you can imagine.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 09:36:03 AM »
Wonder if an AED was in the facility?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 09:55:53 AM »

Air Expeditionary Deployment?

Death on call

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2015, 10:00:49 AM »

Different era.   Portable AED's in public places was not the norm.   We weren't even carrying them on fire apparatus then.  The 1-2 button kinds that read the heart rhythm for you weren't in vogue yet.    Could it have made a difference?   I don't know.   The second part of that is would there have been someone there who had the presence of mind to (A) know where it is and get it in a hurry and then (B) know how to use it?   While other are doing CPR and a huge crowd is gathering.    How many people here make it a habit to notice where AED's are as they go through public buildings?  

Rapid application of AED's to cardiac arrest patients does massively increase their chances of survival, but even doing everything perfectly.....when it is your time, it is your time.    Personally, I have done CPR  somewhere in the vicinity of 200 times with a total of 6 of them leaving the hospital alive.  
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 11:57:34 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2015, 10:42:58 AM »
I remember the footage of him dropping.   I remember Bo Kimble shooting free throws left handed.   I remember the insane run LMU made in the tourney.   Watching that offense at full boil was truly a sight to behold.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2015, 10:51:47 AM »

There was.  LMU bought one and the trainer brought it out onto the court.  It was not used on the court but as soon as they got him off.  There is a YouTube video that shows his collapse and time it took to get him on a stretcher and off the court.  About 3 minutes or so.  Defibrillator used within 5 minutes of collapse if I recall, but that is off memory.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2015, 11:20:55 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcD5XUXfr1Y

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/colleges/Hank_Gathers.html

In this version, Bo Kimble says there was a defibrillator, but nobody used it.    Also, that CPR didn't start immediately.   

To build on a couple of my posts....take a class.   Learn how to do CPR and how to use an AED.   Pay attention to their location in public places.    You never know. 
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 11:31:19 AM by tower912 »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2015, 11:33:55 AM »
Couldn't agree more with Fahrenheit 451. There's no worst feelin' than seein' someone go down and not bein' capable of doin' anythin'.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

tower912

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2015, 11:58:35 AM »
Fahrenheit 451.  Love it. 

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2015, 12:09:43 PM »
I remember the footage of him dropping.   I remember Bo Kimble shooting free throws left handed.   I remember the insane run LMU made in the tourney.   Watching that offense at full boil was truly a sight to behold.   

shivers

tower912

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2015, 12:24:49 PM »
'Shivers' was watching Reggie Brown of the Lions receive CPR on the field against the Jets back in 1997.   I was working out at the station watching the game (best way to watch a Lions game is to be working out) and almost threw up.   

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2015, 12:26:03 PM »
The Guru of Go
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2015, 12:34:08 PM »

Yep.  Heartbreaking and inspiring.  Kimble's performance in that tourney was almost surreal.

Skitch

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2015, 01:36:09 PM »
I remember espn showing Lionel Simmons breaking down on the bench after being told during LaSalle's game.

I also remember a horrible made for tv movie starring Nell Carter as Hank's mom.

feedback